We Should Be Thankful

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: We Should Be Thankful

Yes it was, but I still want more.  Never satisfied!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

In Response to We Should Be Thankful:
    [QUOTE]When KG and Ray came to Boston in 2007 almost all of us agreed that it was a 3-year window. This is year 4. So win or lose we should be thankful that the Celtics got the job done in 2008.  Remember, 2008 was special, all of us were witnesses to the total destruction of the Lakers, in a Finals game, in Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. The Celtics defeated the Lakers many times in the Finals, but that 39-point beating of the Lakers was Boston's sweetest victory over the Lakers ever! Sure the Lakers beat the Celtics in 2010. But the series went to a 7th and deciding game and the Celtics did not have their starting Center. And the Lakers just won by 4 points, you could say that the Lakers just squeaked by the Celtics. So whether Banner #18 happens this season or not, IT WAS WORTH IT! 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was great but you can't live in the past, and just this year (all-star break) they were favorites to win again, but their play has dropped off dramatically, mainly due to Danny Ainge breaking up the team, three quarters into the season. Tough to take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    I think our chances for a title while possible are diminished this year. The road to the finals could not be more difficult.  I am grateful for this wonderful run and the continued team play that the Celtics were known for even before this present team.

I hope we are not resigning ourselves to falling short.  There is nothing that is less Celtics like.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

it bothers me how the perk trade is construed as "danny throwing in the towel" and/or "throwing away title #18". we may or may not win a title this year. we may or may not have won a title with perk playing. but the fact is that this team played very well for much of the season without kendrick perkins. let's see what this team can do on sunday with shaq back.

as for being thankful, i always try to be. like all of us, i sometimes get upset and have to rant. but i appreciate what all of the celtics have done these past 4 years. it's given me something to look forward to at the end of the work day from november to june. so for that i thank danny, doc, the big 3 and everyone else. let's not forget what the previous 20 years were like. so i'm with you in appreciating being in year 4 of our 3-year window. and i'm actually looking forward to the off-season to see what will happen next with this team. i think ainge has done a pretty good job of not mortgaging the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Re: We Should Be Thankful:
    [QUOTE]In Response to We Should Be Thankful : Yes, it was great but you can't live in the past, and just this year (all-star break) they were favorites to win again, but their play has dropped off dramatically, mainly due to Danny Ainge breaking up the team, three quarters into the season. Tough to take.
    Posted by DaPrince77[/QUOTE]

Who continues to say they were favorites to win? It is said on this forum by people who didn't like the Perkins deal. Can't live in the past? We hadn't had one for about 32 years until Danny made the trades. We might go another 22 if we didn't get at least something in return for Perkins. The Big 3 are gone in another year and rebuilding will begin. They had no problem winning when Shaq was healthy without Perkins now didn't they?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Great point Fierce. In reality it was a 3 year window which is why DA staggered the contracts of the Big 3 in the first place. I guess we all just hoped that our bench would be better, Rondo would carry us more, and the Big 3 had more left in the tank after they re-upped.

Either way, I am thankful and appreciative of 2008 even more now!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]When KG and Ray came to Boston in 2007 almost all of us agreed that it was a 3-year window. This is year 4. So win or lose we should be thankful that the Celtics got the job done in 2008.  Remember, 2008 was special, all of us were witnesses to the total destruction of the Lakers, in a Finals game, in Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. The Celtics defeated the Lakers many times in the Finals, but that 39-point beating of the Lakers was Boston's sweetest victory over the Lakers ever! Sure the Lakers beat the Celtics in 2010. But the series went to a 7th and deciding game and the Celtics did not have their starting Center. And the Lakers just won by 4 points, you could say that the Lakers just squeaked by the Celtics. So whether Banner #18 happens this season or not, IT WAS WORTH IT! 

Fierce, like Linus' security blanket, I'm sure that winning score helps you sleep better at night with your distant memories. Personally I believe, 1 point or 50...a loss is a loss that still only counts for one game. Last year the Lakers had one LESS loss that brought home banner 16. And doing it against the C's was especially sweet. And we really enjoyed you C's fans thinking you could actually win 2 in LA. But you know what was the REALLY best part of that title? Having the Celtics UP by about 13 and the Lakers SNATCHING it away in the 4th quarter. Just like Lucy pulling the football away from the Celtics....oops! I meant Charlie Brown... as he's about to kick it! (How 'bout that..two Peanuts references in one post!) Let's be honest Fierce. The C's have underachieved. Almost everyone on this forum was expecting 3 rings. They got one and LOST one to their most hated rival. And the Lakers have been to 3 straight fimals, while winning 2 and possibly a 3rd. That 3 year window is about to close and I don't see enough talent or tradeable pieces that will keep the Celtics at a championship level. And Danny Ainge isn't smart enough (or have anymore former teammates as GM's) to trade for that kind of talent. The Lakers, on the other hand, still have the talent, youth and savvy leadership (and a stable owner) that will keep them in title contention for several more years. That's what WE have to be thankful for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We Should Be Thankful : Fierce, like Linus' security blanket, I'm sure that winning score helps you sleep better at night with your distant memories. Personally I believe, 1 point or 50...a loss is a loss that still only counts for one game. Last year the Lakers had one LESS loss that brought home banner 16. And doing it against the C's was especially sweet. And we really enjoyed you C's fans thinking you could actually win 2 in LA. But you know what was the REALLY best part of that title? Having the Celtics UP by about 13 and the Lakers SNATCHING it away in the 4th quarter. Just like Lucy pulling the football away from the Celtics....oops! I meant Charlie Brown... as he's about to kick it! (How 'bout that..two Peanuts references in one post!) Let's be honest Fierce. The C's have underachieved. Almost everyone on this forum was expecting 3 rings. They got one and LOST one to their most hated rival. And the Lakers have been to 3 straight fimals, while winning 2 and possibly a 3rd. That 3 year window is about to close and I don't see enough talent or tradeable pieces that will keep the Celtics at a championship level. And Danny Ainge isn't smart enough (or have anymore former teammates as GM's) to trade for that kind of talent. The Lakers, on the other hand, still have the talent, youth and savvy leadership (and a stable owner) that will keep them in title contention for several more years. That's what WE have to be thankful for.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Your Lakers have had the highest payroll for the past few years, and what do you think is going to happen when the new CBA comes. Its going to be Kobe and 3 other players... HAHA!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We Should Be Thankful : Fierce, like Linus' security blanket, I'm sure that winning score helps you sleep better at night with your distant memories. Personally I believe, 1 point or 50...a loss is a loss that still only counts for one game. Last year the Lakers had one LESS loss that brought home banner 16. And doing it against the C's was especially sweet. And we really enjoyed you C's fans thinking you could actually win 2 in LA. But you know what was the REALLY best part of that title? Having the Celtics UP by about 13 and the Lakers SNATCHING it away in the 4th quarter. Just like Lucy pulling the football away from the Celtics....oops! I meant Charlie Brown... as he's about to kick it! (How 'bout that..two Peanuts references in one post!) Let's be honest Fierce. The C's have underachieved. Almost everyone on this forum was expecting 3 rings. They got one and LOST one to their most hated rival. And the Lakers have been to 3 straight fimals, while winning 2 and possibly a 3rd. That 3 year window is about to close and I don't see enough talent or tradeable pieces that will keep the Celtics at a championship level. And Danny Ainge isn't smart enough (or have anymore former teammates as GM's) to trade for that kind of talent. The Lakers, on the other hand, still have the talent, youth and savvy leadership (and a stable owner) that will keep them in title contention for several more years. That's what WE have to be thankful for.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

[QUOTE]it bothers me how the perk trade is construed as "danny throwing in the towel" and/or "throwing away title #18". we may or may not win a title this year. we may or may not have won a title with perk playing. but the fact is that this team played very well for much of the season without kendrick perkins. let's see what this team can do on sunday with shaq back. as for being thankful, i always try to be. like all of us, i sometimes get upset and have to rant. but i appreciate what all of the celtics have done these past 4 years. it's given me something to look forward to at the end of the work day from november to june. so for that i thank danny, doc, the big 3 and everyone else. let's not forget what the previous 20 years were like. so i'm with you in appreciating being in year 4 of our 3-year window. and i'm actually looking forward to the off-season to see what will happen next with this team. i think ainge has done a pretty good job of not mortgaging the future.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]  Glad to see some people watched the games this year.  good post

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

D,ont you ever forget that Jerry West sent Paul Gasol to the Lakers in exchange for nothing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Celtics had a lot of bad luck in all of those losing years with the deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. How many other teams had players die?  I am not sure, but probably none.   The bad decisions by the owners, coaches and management, etc. also contributed to the Celtics failures., (Rick Pitino).  The previous owners of the Celtics didn't really care about winning and were never willing to go over the salary cap.  The current owners are different and that is the reason for the Celtics recent success. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

"I aint heard no fat lady sing."

Lets see what happens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

QDaddy just said the Lakers have youth...........?  ....the only piece with value and youth is Bynum and he is injury prone (and a no-time all star).....last legs...?
    Fisher, Kobe, RonRon.....Pau is no longer in his 20's.....the bench stinks...Phil is retiring...teams like Oklahoma City are the future out West.....we are a team in decline...but so are the Lakers.....time marches on....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Nice post.

You're still in with a shot if things fall your way for the 18th banner. Don't give up until it's finished if you know what I mean.

You should look at the positives. In 2008 Boston had all kinds of trouble against Atlanta in round one. If you'd had bad luck you really could have been eliminated. The 2008 really got rolling against the Pistons if I recall.

I believe that 2008 loss helped us win the next two titles. Being humiliated in a finals series should do that to a team that is of championship calibre. So, yeah there's bad memories from that series, but they became good memories in the end due to the lessons that we learned from the Celtics.

I think both our teams are at then of their time being legitimate title contenders. At least for the time being. Both teams have players to build around in the near future so we'll see who get's the rebuilding done first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]It's really unfortunate that even though Qdaddy is the Vince Carter of trolls, half amazing, half troll, it looks like he's suffering from memory loss. The Celtics didn't make it to the Finals in 2009 because KG never played in the playoffs.  They say sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. That best describes the Lakers' 2010 championship. Come on, Qdaddy, even you have to admit that the Lakers got lucky in 2010 when Kendrick Perkins couldn't play in Game 7 of the Finals. And a 4-point win only means the Lakers got the breaks late in the game.

Fierce, you need to take your Celtic green glasses off. Bynum, on ONE good leg, owned Perkins and any other center that was on the floor. The Lakers won that final "fair and square" and you whiners need to take your heads out of the sand and finally come to that realization. No ref excuses...no Perk injury...no conspiracy theory. You C's fans need to own up like MEN and admit it. You'll feel a lot better when you do that. HAH!

BTW, reread my post. I never said anything about the C's making it to the Finals. YOU people were the ones who expected a 3 ring run. Injuries happen. It's the reason you even got ONE ring. Remember, Bynum was injured that one year that the C's won it and if he had been healthy, there's a good chance the C's wouldn't have even gotten that one ring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

I agree but one more would be sweet..I also dont agree if we had Perkins we would have that much more of a chance than we do now..it would help but it is not the only factor right now..I would say Rondo inconsistency has as much to do with it then not having Perk..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]QDaddy just said the Lakers have youth...........?  ....the only piece with value and youth is Bynum and he is injury prone (and a no-time all star).....last legs...? Fisher, Kobe, RonRon.....Pau is no longer in his 20's.....the bench stinks...Phil is retiring...teams like Oklahoma City are the future out West.....we are a team in decline...but so are the Lakers.....time marches on....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Gasol is only 31 and in his prime. Kobe probably has 5 or 6 years left. Shannon Brown, Derrick Caracter and Devin Ebanks are ALL young. Caracter and Ebanks were drafted low and were projects that the Lakers management wanted to develop. And they have been. Andrew Bynum is still young and finally maturing into his body. (Many NBA players were injury prone early in their careers and blossomed into star players.)

In addition, Kobe's contract expires at the same time that Blake Griffin becomes a free agent. Don't think Blake isn't reminded, on a DAILY basis, of all those championship banners that he plays under in his "home" arena. One final thought...Mitch Kupchak is still the GM and I don't doubt that he's already making plans for Griffin's free agency. Dr Buss has never been afraid of spending money to keep his team in championship form and ALL OF YOU know that. Meanwhile, you guys have Danny Ainge. HAH!!!

We've also heard the rumors about Dwight Howard wanting to come and play for a championship contender. There's always free agents who look west to play for a ring...and I don't mean the Clippers.

Phil's retirement only means another quality coach will take over. I think Brian Shaw would do well, but there will be plenty of other candidates who would want the best coaching job in the NBA, including Byron Scott.

You're right Duke, your team is a team on the decline and you have a stumbling, bumbling GM who can't figure out what to do. Mitch Kupchak and the Buss' won't have that problem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'm worried about a replay of the 04/05 season once Jackson retires.

Bryant has a lot of mileage and Gasol is the man we need to look to build around. Bynum is injury prone and I don't know what sort of future he has long term when it comes to health. And now, he's apparently injured again on the eve of the play-offs?

I'm sure management thought things looked ok in 1991. Yes Magic was old but he had years left. Divac was young, Campbell and Smith drafted low but good prospects.

Can argue our '91 team was in a better position than our current side. Seeing we had our best ever player at the helm. Tragically we know what happened next.

I'd like to see Byron Scott as head coach. As long as he's not fed to the wolves at the immediate sign of trouble or continued trouble.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Should Be Thankful : The Lakers and the Celtics are in the same position as the British Empire in 1945. Victorious, but fading.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Nice analogy Kirk.

At least sports teams can return to prominence again.

Sections
Shortcuts