Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!

I am in favor of a complete home makeover........I don't care if we're not that good (well, I do....but)  I want us to be exciting, and build for the future.
    I think everything depends on how we draft..in other words, if we get in the lottery, and get a good BIG guy  (Davis, Drummond, Sulinger?), then we don't need to sign a BIG in Free Agency.
    On the flip side, if we draft, say an Austin Rivers (again, assuming lottery), then we need to sign established bigs in the off season.
    So, suppose we get IN the lottery......would anyone be against us trading both our picks and moving up?  That is question #1.. NOH has two picks (for example).  If we gave them our lottery pick AND the Clips pick, do you think they would give us #3?
    Moving on to next post!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!

What else do we need?

Assuming we don't trade Rondo in the off-season (always a possibility, I suppose), we have Rondo, Bradley and Moore - check - all set at PG

Ray is leaving, let's assume he's not coming back (I think he would...).  Then we need Rivers/Lamb/Beal/Walters   OR we need a Mayo/Young/Gordon  with Ray or Pietrus off the bench.

At the "3"....we NEED to re-sign Jeff Green.  Don't let him go to the Wiz.  With PP and Green, we are all set at SF both now and in the future.  Third string is irrelevant right now

At "4"....we need Bass to opt in, JJJ to get in the weight room.  I hope KG will retire, 300 mill is enough........any of the aforementioned draft picks would be nice here......also like Kris Humphries (NJ will probably re-sign him,though).  I think they may make a run at AK47 or Odom...just a hunch.

Center - Hibbert, Kaman or McGee (in that order).....or a draft pick.  By all means keep the Steamer........

I think my team of Rondo, Mayo, Green, Humphries and Hibbert would be fun, with Bradley, Ray, PP, etc coming off the pine....
    Thoughts??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!:
    What else do we need? Assuming we don't trade Rondo in the off-season (always a possibility, I suppose), we have Rondo, Bradley and Moore - check - all set at PG Ray is leaving, let's assume he's not coming back (I think he would...).  Then we need Rivers/Lamb/Beal/Walters   OR we need a Mayo/Young/Gordon  with Ray or Pietrus off the bench. At the "3"....we NEED to re-sign Jeff Green.  Don't let him go to the Wiz.  With PP and Green, we are all set at SF both now and in the future.  Third string is irrelevant right now At "4"....we need Bass to opt in, JJJ to get in the weight room.  I hope KG will retire, 300 mill is enough........any of the aforementioned draft picks would be nice here......also like Kris Humphries (NJ will probably re-sign him,though).  I think they may make a run at AK47 or Odom...just a hunch. Center - Hibbert, Kaman or McGee (in that order).....or a draft pick.  By all means keep the Steamer........ I think my team of Rondo, Mayo, Green, Humphries and Hibbert would be fun, with Bradley, Ray, PP, etc coming off the pine.... Thoughts??
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

What else do we need?  Well looking at the players / teams that usually are the reasons teams win championships they need.... drum roll please..... lots of top 10 picks.... and all-stars.....  last year the Mavs with Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Marion, and Chandler among others were all top 10 picks and they beat LeBron, Wade, and Bosh....  Bynum, Gasol, Kobe, etc. beat KG, Pierce, and Allen.... all lottery picks....  there is essentially no way to win a championship without at least 3 to 4 lottery picks.... the Cs have absolutely none of that...... so to wonder "what else to they need" just shows that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

So finally The Buffer admits the CS are one and done, while the Lakers just keep rolling along. Some actually think the Lakers may take OKC and make it to the Finals. See ya in 25 years...ya old buffoon!

MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!:
    In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : What else do we need?  Well looking at the players / teams that usually are the reasons teams win championships they need.... drum roll please..... lots of top 10 picks.... and all-stars.....  last year the Mavs with Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Marion, and Chandler among others were all top 10 picks and they beat LeBron, Wade, and Bosh....  Bynum, Gasol, Kobe, etc. beat KG, Pierce, and Allen.... all lottery picks....  there is essentially no way to win a championship without at least 3 to 4 lottery picks.... the Cs have absolutely none of that...... so to wonder "what else to they need" just shows that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

These are all suggestions - and if you can't contribute positively, then don't even bother - I DO know what's going on....I'm asking what other people think - don't start with me Dudder!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : These are all suggestions - and if you can't contribute positively, then don't even bother - I DO know what's going on....I'm asking what other people think - don't start with me Dudder!!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

If you can commit to cyberspace "what else do we need" you are telling everyone that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.....  they need a legit center, they need a legit powerforward, they need a legit small forward, they need a legit 2 guard, and they need a legit point guard... they have none of that either in the starting lineup or on the current bench / roster...

I am contributing positively and I am the ultimate realist..... they are 3 to 4 young top 10 picks away from contending... they have none of that and will get none of that unless the Cs go on an extended losing streak which starts tonight....  a 2 and 6 road trip which could have been 1 and 7 had Ellis been traded one day later or had Steph Curry been healthy... coming home under 500 and having beaten about 4 above 500 teams all season has deluded people into thinking they are a good team...  getting blown out by Philly there is an excuse, losing to Sac there is an excuse, losing to Denver there is an excuse, and so on, etc..... beat an actual good team when the other team is not missing one of their best players and then try to convince somehow they can do that over a 7 game series... they were abused by Sac without Evans... it is apparently some sort of great victory to beat the Clips who are in free fall since Billups went down..  right now there is nobody they can beat in the East in a series and that is POSITIVE..... wake up dude...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : If you can commit to cyberspace "what else do we need" you are telling everyone that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.....  they need a legit center, they need a legit powerforward, they need a legit small forward, they need a legit 2 guard, and they need a legit point guard... they have none of that either in the starting lineup or on the current bench / roster... I am contributing positively and I am the ultimate realist..... they are 3 to 4 young top 10 picks away from contending... they have none of that and will get none of that unless the Cs go on an extended losing streak which starts tonight....  a 2 and 6 road trip which could have been 1 and 7 had Ellis been traded one day later or had Steph Curry been healthy... coming home under 500 and having beaten about 4 above 500 teams all season has deluded people into thinking they are a good team...  getting blown out by Philly there is an excuse, losing to Sac there is an excuse, losing to Denver there is an excuse, and so on, etc..... beat an actual good team when the other team is not missing one of their best players and then try to convince somehow they can do that over a 7 game series... they were abused by Sac without Evans... it is apparently some sort of great victory to beat the Clips who are in free fall since Billups went down..  right now there is nobody they can beat in the East in a series and that is POSITIVE..... wake up dude...
    Posted by TheDUDDER

thanks for contributing...........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Well I'm depressed hearing the outlook on this thread.  

Doc must have been a fool to sign up for five years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Well I'm depressed hearing the outlook on this thread.   Doc must have been a fool to sign up for five years.
    Posted by concord27

No, I have the utmost confidence Danny has a plan!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs!:
    I am in favor of a complete home makeover........I don't care if we're not that good (well, I do....but)  I want us to be exciting, and build for the future. I think everything depends on how we draft..in other words, if we get in the lottery, and get a good BIG guy  (Davis, Drummond, Sulinger?), then we don't need to sign a BIG in Free Agency. On the flip side, if we draft, say an Austin Rivers (again, assuming lottery), then we need to sign established bigs in the off season. So, suppose we get IN the lottery......would anyone be against us trading both our picks and moving up?  That is question #1.. NOH has two picks (for example).  If we gave them our lottery pick AND the Clips pick, do you think they would give us #3? Moving on to next post!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

There is zero chance NO would trade the #3 pick for the #15 and 24 picks or the #12 and 24 pick.

NO needs some star players just like Charlotte does. Getting more mid-late first round picks won't make a team much better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : No, I have the utmost confidence Danny has a plan!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Danny adding two hall of famers to Pierce for a couple of expiring contracts and a bunch of Island of Mis-Fit Toys players was a once in a lifetime / career move.... there are those that believe that what Danny did several years ago was a generally normal move and happens all the time is simple nonsense.... Danny made moves a few years ago that required a few lotter picks, a few huge expiring contracts, and a GM in Minnesota that was / is one of his best friends...... that said... he has a couple of those things in place but are not going to happen because the model has changed somewhat and he no longer has his best friend as the GM of the trading partner.........

The Cs are looking at 5 years of the lottery and Danny is looking at retirement as Joe Dumars...... and the Cs being really really really bad for a few years... and the sooner the better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : Danny adding two hall of famers to Pierce for a couple of expiring contracts and a bunch of Island of Mis-Fit Toys players was a once in a lifetime / career move.... there are those that believe that what Danny did several years ago was a generally normal move and happens all the time is simple nonsense.... Danny made moves a few years ago that required a few lotter picks, a few huge expiring contracts, and a GM in Minnesota that was / is one of his best friends...... that said... he has a couple of those things in place but are not going to happen because the model has changed somewhat and he no longer has his best friend as the GM of the trading partner......... The Cs are looking at 5 years of the lottery and Danny is looking at retirement as Joe Dumars...... and the Cs being really really really bad for a few years... and the sooner the better.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

You are confusing this trade with the Gasol trade.  Al Jefferson is NOT a scrub player!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : You are confusing this trade with the Gasol trade.  Al Jefferson is NOT a scrub player!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Ummmmm... yes he is... will this be the first time he makes the playoffs?   I remember on this board over and over again how he would be much better than Dwight Howard and that Aldridge would be his whipping boy.....  Jefferson cannot make a decision without consulting his fave 3 men.... Johnnie, Jack, and Jim..... and he still has no face up game, no defense, and is not anywhere near the player that many of you and your ilk projected him to be........  there is no GM in the league that would rather have him ahead of Aldridge, Howard, and a whole bunch of other guys... but feel free to disillusion yourself..... I am all set with that but that is what happens when your IQ is above 74....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I think my team of Rondo, Mayo, Green, Humphries and Hibbert would be fun, with Bradley, Ray, PP, etc coming off the pine.... Thoughts??
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

This starting 5 is worse than our starting 5 this year...by far! And I still consider Green to be on his level before his life threatening heart surgery and 1 year without BB. Our second unit would be better cause 2 starters of this year are better than your assumed starters of next year. Oh, and because after Green, Wilcox and JON went down we have no bench this year.

Lets get real. Ray and KG play on the same level like last year and are no worse than Mayo and Hibbert this year. Humphries is a better rebounder than Bass but worse in all other categories. Pierce playing worse than last year but still better than Green before the surgery.
    We are no contender cause our Big 3 are not as good as James, Wade and Bosh anymore. But: We are fighting for last playoff spot cause we have no bench (especially at the front court). With this bench the replacement of our Big 3 has to be Miamis Big 3. A bunch of mediocre starters and rotations players is not enough. The starting 5 you suggest is closer to NJs team than it is to Chicago or Miami.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Well I'm depressed hearing the outlook on this thread.   Doc must have been a fool to sign up for five years.
    Posted by concord27

I know it's not what we want to hear,but i think Dudder has hit the nail on the head.I think a lot of us know this, but just don't want to believe it. We don't have a star on our current team, and it looks like the only way to get one is to draft one, and you can't draft star players unless you finish at the bottom of the standings. Red had a good idea about trading our 2 picks to a team with a lower pick, Trade Pierce for a 2013 pick, let Kg and Ray walk and start over, and hope we get lucky and can rebild in a 3 to 4 year time frame!!  Truth hurts!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : You are first rate jerk, a hater and apparently a racist! You are also not a Celtics fan. "A whole bunch of other guys" is a copout and a true testament to your ignorance!! My IQ is 130 - how about you?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

At 130 you only miss by 5%....  I am a huge Celtics fan and I am also one of the only realistic people that posts on this board.....  the Cs have no talent going forward and it has nothing to do with race - not even sure how you would even deduce that.... the Cs are a 20 win team once the the BIG 3 go and signing Pierce for a few more years prolonged the mediocrity and ensured that the rebuilding process is delayed because will continue to bring unnecessary wins.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : At 130 you only miss by 5%....  I am a huge Celtics fan and I am also one of the only realistic people that posts on this board.....  the Cs have no talent going forward and it has nothing to do with race - not even sure how you would even deduce that.... the Cs are a 20 win team once the the BIG 3 go and signing Pierce for a few more years prolonged the mediocrity and ensured that the rebuilding process is delayed because will continue to bring unnecessary wins.....
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Very poor grammar!!!

I never said we were any good - the whole thing is about how to get better.  We may not be good for a few years - if that is your thought - fine, no need to be insulting about it.  I actually feel the same way.
    What I want are POSITIVE people here who can give POSITIVE steps for us to take to get better - no matter how long it takes.
    I know where you stand, thanks, I would like other people's opinions now - you are discharged!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Danny should have started the entire team makeover a week ago.
    Boston could have had (3) 1st round picks, some extra 2nd round picks and more financial flexibility if Danny would have looked more to the future instead of doing nothing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Danny should have started the entire team makeover a week ago. Boston could have had (3) 1st round picks, some extra 2nd round picks and more financial flexibility if Danny would have looked more to the future instead of doing nothing.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Why does this team need more cap flexibility? KG, Ray, Wallace and JON come off the books next year. Salary Cap is not an issue for the celtics any more. One more late first rounder for Ray would not make a big difference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : Why does this team need more cap flexibility? KG, Ray, Wallace and JON come off the books next year. Salary Cap is not an issue for the celtics any more. One more late first rounder for Ray would not make a big difference.
    Posted by Gasthoerer

I never said cap flexibility I said financial flexibility.
    Boston would have saved $10m in luxury tax plus $3m in Ray's salary if they would have traded Ray to Indiana who needed to take on more salary this year. They wound up trading for Barbosa.

Maybe $13m and a draft pick was not worth it to the Celtics but it seems like it would have been worth it for Boston. We don't know how interested Indiana was in Ray but it seemed like they were serious about acquiring him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Well, if we're going in the lottery, let's address our needs! : This starting 5 is worse than our starting 5 this year...by far! And I still consider Green to be on his level before his life threatening heart surgery and 1 year without BB. Our second unit would be better cause 2 starters of this year are better than your assumed starters of next year. Oh, and because after Green, Wilcox and JON went down we have no bench this year. Lets get real. Ray and KG play on the same level like last year and are no worse than Mayo and Hibbert this year. Humphries is a better rebounder than Bass but worse in all other categories. Pierce playing worse than last year but still better than Green before the surgery. We are no contender cause our Big 3 are not as good as James, Wade and Bosh anymore. But: We are fighting for last playoff spot cause we have no bench (especially at the front court). With this bench the replacement of our Big 3 has to be Miamis Big 3. A bunch of mediocre starters and rotations players is not enough. The starting 5 you suggest is closer to NJs team than it is to Chicago or Miami.
    Posted by Gasthoerer

I like the idea of the Celtics acquiring Hibbert next season.  Who else would you suggest they sign at the center position?  He will probably resign with the Pacers so we probably won't be able to sign him anyway. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

There's way too much negativity on here. The Celtics can sign and/or trade for up to two max players this off-season. They also have at least two first round draft picks. They've got two All-Stars in Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo. They've got two very good bench players in Brandon Bass and Mickael Pietrus. There's plenty to like with this roster. I don't understand the pessimism. No team, not even the Heat, can field All-Stars at every position. The Celtics will be fine. They're in a much better predicament than most other franchises, with respect to flexibility.

The entire premise of this thread is also way too premature. The Celtics lose a few games out West and most people assume they'll miss the playoffs? They're only 1.5 games back on Philadelphia for the 4th spot in the Eastern conference! By the end of the week, it's more likely that the Celtics will be in 4th than in the lottery. How quickly we forget the mediocre regular season of 2010 that still produced an NBA Finals team. The Celtics have too much pride to quit. They're going to be in the playoffs, and if they catch the Sixers for 4th, or some other team for 6th, they'll make it to the second round too.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Bass has a player option next season and Pietrus will be a free-agent after the season.

If Bass doesn't exercise his option, the Celtics are still in the best position to re-sign him. And while Pietrus is a free agent, he's only making the minimum. The Celtics could afford him even if they were well over the cap. He seems to like being in Boston. He could have gone anywhere.

Pierce will not be an All-Star next year.

I think Pierce will again be an All-Star next year, even if only because of reputation. Whether he's an All-Star or not, he'll continue to be a well above-average productive performer, similar to Garnett this year. Again, a team doesn't need All-Stars at every position. Plenty of teams rack up wins with only one legitimate All-Star.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Boston every get a lottery pick, that is depend which spot that they will end up at.  If Boston are able to draft Davis, Robinson or Drummond, then I would go after them.  Sullinger of Ohio State is a good player, but he is already an often injured prone player.  That is why I am not sure if I would draft Sullinger or not.

Other big men such as Zeller, Keonard of Illinios, etc are ok.  I could draft them with the second first round pick.

If Boston cant get one of these four big men, then they should go after talent #2 to #3 guard player such as Barnes, Lamb of UConn, Kidd-Gilbest of Kentucky, and Austin River.  These 8 players I mentioned above are all more likely an future NBA all star. 

If the Celtics fails to get a lottery pick, I would try to trade up by giving away two first round picks along with a second round pick.  What is the different that the Celtics alway have one first round pick along with a second round pick every year at the same time they gave up three picks for a top 5 lottery pick along with one second round pick?   

Sections
Shortcuts