West stinks, Shaq stinks, O'Neal stinks and everyone else is a yr older.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Re: West stinks, Shaq stinks, O'Neal stinks and everyone else is a yr older.

Are you a Celtics fan Walton? Because if you are, you are the most realistic C's fan I've seen. You are absolutely right about Shaq and your realistic assessment of this team. And you know what, take this from a Lakers fan who would love to see you guys in the finals once more, unfortunately, I don't think it's going to ever happen...not with the guys you've got.

Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

WOW  - Shaq steal your girlfriend or something??

EVERYONE is a year older, even you
    Actually, and I did the research on this, the lakers are older than the Celtics this year.

Shaq will play about 15-20 mins this year
    JON is an upgrade over Sheed
    We HAVE a backup PG this year
    West is  a better player than TA
    KG is healthy
    Bradley is the best rookie we've had since Rondo

Overall, we ARE better than last year, despite Elias agreeing with you!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

west is a little bit gangster, but he does play hard and can shoot well, and drive to his left, and he already played on the team for a few years, so - not like he'll be all deer in the headlights, personally - I think Cleveland and LeBron were bad influences and lead him down a bad path. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The funniest part is when the Laker fans call the Celtics old....Go check out the antiques or fossils on the Lakers and then come back and tell us how surprised you were to find that the Lakers composite age is older than the Celtics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I agree I told my nephew last pre season. I was going to hate watching last years team. I was right.This year will be more of the same I'm afraid. 

Why are the Celtics and Lakers picking up thugs?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

1. west, warts and all, if he takes his meds and stows his guns is a better player than tony allen who could only dunk and play defense.  west can play some decent defense and shoot, but is streaky.  he's rarely been the kind of destructive streaky that a JR Smith is so I don't think he games for us overstepping his role, and he may well win us a few with hot streak shooting whereas a JR type loses as many as he helps to win.

2. shaq- i think is as good or a  better deal than perkins after watching perkins' melt down the second half of last year.  perkins was knitting needles in the eyes the last 30 games and the playoffs before the injury and rebounded shockingly little and did almost none of the over-achievning things he became known for.   it's hard to get worse than that. 

and i love how people say that perkins will be right back from this major knee injury that has terminated into oblivion or retirement many many big men that were borderline with mobility to begin with.  imagine perk 1 1/2 or more steps steps slower.  upon his return, look for double the amount of illegal screens.  so, look for perk to be only a bang 'em up post defender who plays like he's nailed to the ground.  just like shak seems at times, but even less mobile and less able to score much of anything.

3. j o'neal was undeniably abominable in the playoffs last year.  and by that time he was positively used up- games off only when they needed to glue him back together or entomb him in ice and he averaged 30 mins or more down the stretch of REGULAR SEASON GAMES last season for miami = way too muchfor a one legged horse.. 

the key to having o'neal add up to anything for us this year is to LIMIT HIS MINUTES TO 20 A GAME.  and then add minutes as needed in the playoffs.   maybe he will have something left.  he was not my first, second or third choice to add to the roster for 4/5 help coming into this last breath championship run year.

overall, i give danny a C this year IF NATE ROBINSON SEES CONSISTENT MINUTES- at times last year, robinson was so much better than rondo to have on the floor- a spread the floor threat, juke and drive and make life really hard for other defenses.  and he had some unbelievable fifth row swats on help defense against dwight howard.  without the robinson signing, i give danny/wyc a D for bottom feeding nearly exclusively on risky and worn out players.

von wafer?  wafer's curriculum vitae is 40 games of selfish gunning- that's it.  but if either west or wafer pans out, we are in a good place, with much more offense coming off the bench at the 2 than last year, and better floor balance on the bench unit as both wafer and west have a better shot than tony allen.  i have no idea why marquis daniels is back for year 2 and how we are going to use him differently....... anyone??!!@#@$#$#

i think the fans deserved for the C's to go out and get something other than a handful of fruitcake reclamation projects and an old shack heading into this last chance at a championship year, but apparently ownership once again chose to go the cheap way.  remember, same owners that marched out paddy o'bryant, mikki moore, marbury and got/played NOBODY to spell pierce or ray for the last two years and three years respectively.  so i guess in that light, these signings are no big surprise.  oh well.  we'll just have to grin and bear it.

the only upside is that if shaq gets cranky over minutes, west gets nutty and wafer flops, we can release them- all very short $ signings.  then we start over, presumably in the start to middle of a season, not the easiest prospects for signing key pieces that would fill the voids better than mikki and stefon did. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

West is the best pickup for the Celtics. The rest are seriously flawed or done. Pick your poison. Von Wafer is a gunner who is a horrible defender and irratic. Nate is a joke--gunner, selfish and will have 3 bad games before a good one. Shaq is too old, can't play defense, a serious liability at the free throw line, and a horrible rebounder. Jermaine is injury prone and has no knees left.

It will have to be up to the big 3 yet again. And they are a year older. One thing is very certain--Boston fans have absolutely no patience with inferior players. There will be a lot, I mean A Lot of booing this season in the Boston arena.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Wow is there anyone happy with our roster? Because I am. I wonder how many c's fans are around here...
    Look shaq killed us down low last playoffs. Now we have got him to battle guys like howard and Bynum. Jermaine O'neal averaged 10 + points a game last season... not sure how that could hurt us? Von Wafer can shoot very well his defense is doubtfull but we'll see. West played poor last 2 seasons but I think if his mind is straight we'll get a lot out of him. Marquis will be back and he was a nice addition to the celtics before his injury. Rookies Bradley and Harangody didn't look too bad.

I think we definitly improved... Look we got so many guys if one let's down it won't hurt our total package...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Western Conference does stink.... and look at all that milege on Bryant. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

It's a good thing the season starts next month. Crappy threads or topics like this stinks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I kinda agree with Walton but let see what happens.
    I will watch the first 10 games then decides....but I can read the crystal ball now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: West stinks, Shaq stinks, O'Neal stinks and everyone else is a yr older.:
    I kinda agree with Walton but let see what happens. I will watch the first 10 games then decides....but I can read the crystal ball now.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

Delonte West will not be playing in the first 10 games of the season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: West stinks, Shaq stinks, O'Neal stinks and everyone else is a yr older.:
    West is the best pickup for the Celtics. The rest are seriously flawed or done. Pick your poison. Von Wafer is a gunner who is a horrible defender and irratic. Nate is a joke--gunner, selfish and will have 3 bad games before a good one. Shaq is too old, can't play defense, a serious liability at the free throw line, and a horrible rebounder. Jermaine is injury prone and has no knees left. It will have to be up to the big 3 yet again. And they are a year older. One thing is very certain--Boston fans have absolutely no patience with inferior players. There will be a lot, I mean A Lot of booing this season in the Boston arena.
    Posted by rsalas67m

Theo Ratliff?
    The lakers are older than the Celtics, as I demonstrated in a thread earlier this month.
    Everything with you people is OLD - don't the lakers age?  I moved to LA 4 years ago and I'm STILL 4 years older than when I left MA.  There is no fountain of youth out here - YOUR team is a year older, too.
    Booing? - nah, we'll just throw foam fingers at our team on Christmas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

walton, you don't really think this year's model is all that bad, do you? aren't you in reality doing precisely what you've previously / accurately described the trolls as doing - creating a negative stir to gain attention, rouse the board up and increase your own amusement?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We were all wrong the last two months of the last season.  The Celtics came through and performed like advertised at the start of last season.  Let's see how they do  this season before we make assumptions about the roster.  Doc came back and Danny stayed if they had not thought we had a chance why would they have come back.  With Miami so improved nobody know how things are going to play out.  With good health this team has a real shot with key injuries this team will look like the Red Sox of this year.  We will see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to West stinks, Shaq stinks, O'Neal stinks and everyone else is a yr older.:
                   Talk about "off season" euphoria. I'd like to know what many of you people are smoking. Cleveland {and Phoenix before them} were MUCH BETTER teams when Shaq wasn't playing. He is the worst pick and roll defender in the history of basketball now. He can't block the middle because he can't move. On offense when you go inside to him it takes so long for the play to develop you could have a cup of coffee and read the paper before he gets the shot off. Regardless of what statistics you throw my way he can't rebound anymore.........not good "tough" rebounds that matter. He can't move quick enough. He's awful now. Wait and see............O'Neal was as bad against Boston in the play-offs last year as any player I've ever seen play the game of basketball................West stinks. He can't handle the ball well enough and "see the floor" well enough to be a good point guard and he's a very inconsistant shooter. He'll play a little defense once in awhile. Garnett is a year older. Peirce is a year older. Allen is a year older. Perkins is a year older {knee.} For people to say this is going to be a "great Celtic team?"............"Roll another one. Just like the other one. You've been holding on to that one and I sure would like a hit."
    Posted by walton
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mea Culpa for just copying & pasting my post from  

another topic a month or two ago about Celtics

being too old to compete. The key to their success 

will be avoiding injuries. Regarding age, remember 

George Allen's Over-The- Hill- Gang !

I'm 71 and play competitive USTA tennis tournaments & beat most people my age at my level. But I also beat people 15-20 years younger and, sure, I use slices, topspin, drop shot, lobs etc. & mix up my game but because of experience, I many times beat a younger more athletic player.

I know it's football but I remind everyone of the following when I read posts that the Celtics will be too old.

Also, I do know that in tennis, one can catch his/her breath in between points having 25 seconds to put the ball in play and also there is a 90 second break to change sides after 3 games.
    Players can challenge calls & the camera review takes time

Football too has play calling in the huddle breaks and, of course, flags too slow down the game.  Also, flag calls can be challenged & photo reviews take time. All this allows for rests. 

Other than fouls & timeouts, basketball requires much more endurance running up & down the courts with not the same rest breaks as tennis & football; however, I think our team has sufficient quality backups that Shaq for example will need not play more than 1/2 a game(30 min and that's a lot). Wouldn't it have been nice to have him in Game 7 for just 10 minutes in the last QTR !  With the addition of West and I think we have one more position open and to get another point guard or small forward to relieve Pierce & Garnett will give us adequate competent backup.

Regarding the Over-The- Hill- Gang :

The average age of starters was 31 years old. However, Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11-3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records, five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl.

NEED I REMIND EVERYONE WE CAME WITHIN 4 POINTS OF BEING CHAMPS IN GAME 7 WITH THIS OLD TEAM.  

AMEN !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Walton, I know you like the 80's teams and rightly so. However, this version of the Celtics is still worthy of your respect.

The difference between Shaq on the Cavs and Suns, vs. the Celtics is that on both teams he was not a good fit for their very different styles of play. The Suns were a running team with little defense at the time, and the Cavs were focused on Lebron driving to the hoop. Both scenarios were disasters for Shaq.

Your right, his pick ad roll defense is poor. However, the Celtics cover for others that have limitations on pick and roll defense.

He did do a very good job against Bynum, Gasol, and Howard last year and he will be more effective in the Celtics equal-opportunity offense especially with KG and Baby as partners.

Quicker centers will give him fits, however, he can do what he did to KG when KG tried to dunk on him. I guarantee that Lebron, Kobe Bynum, Gasol and others will think twice before going over the top of Shaq.

Shaq has never been quick, or fast, or played great pick an roll defense. With the right team, he can still be effective.

KG is a year older, however, in the play-offs he showed signs that he had comeback a long way from his injury. While he may never lead the league in rebounding again like he did for so many years earlier in his career, it was obvious that he was afraid to jump for rebounds in the play-offs. He would jump, but just to block shots, and make shots. At this point, it appears to be more psychological than physical. I may be wrong, but KG will get his confidence back as he spends more time playing and the injury becomes a distant memory.

As far a quickness, he blew by Gasol like Gasol was a gas pump in the finals ... so much for being old. He did get caught occasionally on defense against some quicker forwards and guards, but it was because he was in their shirts showing no respect. I think that the play-offs were an adjustment period for KG, and as Doc has said, if their were a conditioning Olympics, KG would win the gold metal.

I like our chances.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

where's the high risk? veteran minimum delonte messes up team chemistry, he be gonesville. pronto. but that's not gonna happen. delonte'll be fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

where's the high risk? veteran minimum delonte messes up team chemistry, he be gone sville. pronto. but that's not gonna happen. delonte'll be fine.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

I agree, there is no risk for the Celtics.  Not only is his contract for the vet-min, it is not even guaranteed unless he gets past January (or something like that).  West was the 2nd best player on his team two years ago, pre-Mo Williams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Celtics are not at risk. It's the opponents that are at risk. What if Delonte doesn't take his meds and he shoots Kobe with one of the 3 guns he has. Same thing with Lebron, what if Delonte loses it and shoots Lebron, with one of his 3 guns, on sight. Now tell me who's at risk here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPinoy. Show GreenPinoy's posts

WALTON

You speak as if you know everything in basketball. I think that is why DA is our GM and you are a nobody. Just shut up and let the games speak for itself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

JON is better than Perk overall.  His offense is a greater plus than his defense is a minus.  Other than that, this thread is about our second team being worse than our starters or someone else's starters.

Another thread questions the coaching.  This may be the only area in which we are actually weaker than last year.  I don't know that Tibs replacement is better.

PA

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

JON is better than Perk overall.  His offense is a greater plus than his defense is a minus.  Other than that, this thread is about our second team being worse than our starters or someone else's starters. Another thread questions the coaching.  This may be the only area in which we are actually weaker than last year.  I don't know that Tibs replacement is better. PA
    Posted by PACelt

Lawrence Frank is a great coach.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Before I start I wanted to say that as much as I dislike the Lakers, I am a fan of basketball, and was truly impressed & did root for Lamar Odom in the FIBA world championship game yesterday as next to Durant's 28 he was the highest scorer with 15 but more than that his overall play was tremendously beneficial in the USA victory.

So that I don't get any scathing comments from some Laker Trolls, I make the following disclaimer that I do not consider the same athleticism necessary in Basketball to be required in some of the following sports I mention below, Football (Punter), Baseball (Pitching) and Golf.

But regarding age, I feel on a "Quid Pro Quo' basis, that many times a compensating factor for youth, agility, endurance etc. is the ability for an athlete to maintain one's physical capacity with increased training beyond the 30's and that even with a physical advantage with youth, the experience that comes with age can even the playing field. I'm a senior and remember some 40-50 years ago the saying that arriving at age 40 one becomes over-the-hill. I feel that that comment because of improvements in medicine & the desire for many to stay in shape can be increased by 10 years to say 50 years old, which for some can be the 1/2 way point in life.

The Celtics have a deep team and not too many need play a whole game & with the quality of the backups, I do not see our team suffering a quality loss when we substitute fresh players frequently. In short, I do not feel age will be a limiting factor in our performance this coming season.

There are many more but I cite a few below so you get the idea. I have copied some of the following from different websites for your edification.

Hitting 32 years of age constitutes the twilight for the majority of athletes. Most competitors peak in their mid to late twenties, with only a few maintaining a high level of performance into their thirties. However, some athletes defy the calendar and continue to make an impact well into a time in their lives when most people consider them "over the hill."

For those incredible athletes whose determination, skill, and genetic gifts allow them to compete at the top level into their late thirties and even into their forties, age is merely a state of mind.  Here's some who have tapped the fountain of youth and proved skeptics wrong by thriving among athletes young enough to be their offspring.

--- BASKETBALL : Abdul-Jabbar retired from pro basketball at age 42.  At the time he held the record for most games played in the NBA & won two NBA championships in his 40's , but fellow aged big man Robert Parish eclipsed that mark following his final game in 1997 at age 43.

Basketball has seen its share of "over the hill" players continue with effective careers into their forties. Besides Abdul-Jabbar and Parish, the most notable examples are ten-time NBA all-star John Stockton and two-time NBA MVP Karl Malone, both of whom excelled as members of the Utah Jazz before retiring in their early forties.

---FOOTBALL  :  Jerry Rice holds virtually every major receiving record there is to hold in addition to multi-position records like most touchdowns and most yards from scrimmage. Almost as remarkable as the number of records Rice holds is the fact that he played in the NFL until the age of 42. To have thrived at his position in as punishing a sport as football for that long is nearly unheard of.

Brett Favre gives Rice a run for his money as the 40-year-old quarterback enters his 20th NFL season in 2010. Favre has had incredible success and remains an effective player in football's most important position into his third decade tossing the pigskin.

George Blanda was a multi-position sensation into his forties and holds a football record for having played in four decades - the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s. Still more unusual by today's standards is the fact that Blanda acted as both quarterback and kicker for nearly every team he played on.  Blanda holds the record for being the oldest player ever to compete in the NFL, which he did as a 48-year-old. He was also the first player to score 2,000 points, often throwing a touchdown and then kicking his own extra point.

Jeff Feagles, punter, comes close to Blanda's gridiron longevity, having debuted in 1988 and having played last in 2009 at the age of 44.  Feagles didn't miss a game in 22 consecutive seasons.

Morten Andersen, kicker, enjoyed a career that began in 1982 and ended in 2007, when he was 47. Andersen holds the NFL record for most games played with 382.

--- BASEBALL :    Nolan Ryan's name is synonymous with longevity and played pro ball from 1966 until his retirement in 1993 at age 46. Ryan was an eight-time all-star and a World Series champion. He played for the New York Mets, California Angels, Houston Astros, and Texas Rangers, the latter three 
    of which have retired his jersey. He had a record seven no-hitters and 5,714 career strike outs.

Pitching has been the domain of a few other 40+ baseball stars, including Randy Johnson, Jamie Moyer, and Phil Niekro, all of whom are or were forces to be reckoned with long after most of their contemporaries had left the game.

Satchel Paige overcame racism to excel in the Major as he began his professional baseball career in the Negro leagues the year he turned 20. Following integration, Paige entered Major League Baseball as a pitcher for the Cleveland Indians in 1948.  He was a 42-year-old rookie, at the time the oldest player to debut in the Majors. Paige went on to become an all-star 
    with the St. Louis Browns.

Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are other baseball players who had extended careers, but their fountain of youth appears to have had as much to do with performance enhancing drugs as it has with their determination, skill, and genetics. Despite their considerable talent and longevity, their performance are tainted abit by use of drugs.

--- BOXING : George Foreman  won the world title at 45 years old and became the oldest heavyweight champion of the world when he knocked out 26-year-old Michael Moorer. It was an incredible accomplishment in a career that included a world title 20 years earlier, as well as an Olympic gold medal in men's boxing at the 1968 Summer Games. Foreman fought his last match in November 1997 at age 48. He lost a controversial split decision to Shannon Briggs, which cost him a title shot.  Shortly thereafter, with an official record of 76-5, Foreman announced his retirement, the second and final one of his career.

Boxing requires one of the most grueling training camps in sports, so for any fighter to be competing at a high level past the age of 40 is remarkable. Bernard Hopkins is one other notable pugilist who persisted in pummeling opponents when he had grown long in the tooth. Hopkins is still fighting at age 45, and, more remarkably, is still relevant in the boxing world.

--- SWIMMING:  Dara Torres competed in five Olympics from 1984 to 2008 and has a remarkable story that includes 12 Olympic medals. But still more amazing is that three of those medals came at age 41, in her fifth Olympics, the 2008 Summer Games from Beijing. She did not compete in 1996 or 2004, 
    making her medal count in 2008 even more impressive. Torres is the picture of determination and dedication.

--- TENNIS : Martina Navratilova turned pro in 1975 and won her first singles Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 1978.  She retired in 2006 just a month shy of her 50th birthday, but not before winning the mixed doubles title at the 2006 US Open, her 59th Grand Slam title.

--- Martial Arts:  Randy Couture is pushing 50 and still taking on all comers. Some call him "Captain America," some call him "The Natural," but everyone calls him amazing.Couture got started in mixed martial arts in his thirties, after a  distinguished Greco-Roman wrestling career that saw him earn multiple Pan-Am medals. Including his MMA debut at UFC 13 in 1997, he's had 29 fights, winning 19 of them. Couture's most recent win came at age 47 in August 2010 when he defeated 42-year-old boxing legend James Toney by submission in a one-sided affair. Couture shows no signs of slowing down, and will be back in the octagon a few more times before he hangs up the gloves for good.

--- HOCKEY : Gordie Howe has done it all. Gordie Howe's nickname of "Mr. Hockey" is the most apt moniker in the history of sports. Howe started his NHL career at age 18 in 1946. He retired at age 52 in 1980, the only player to have competed in five decades. He played a full 80-game season in his final year.  A record holder for both most NHL regular season games played 
    with 1,767 and most professional games played with 2,186 (his WHA and NHL totals combined), Howe has earned every accolade there is to earn in hockey. Among those are four Stanley Cups, six Hart Trophies as NHL MVP, and an incredible 23 NHL All-Star appearances.

His name still pops up in games from time to time when a player records a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" - a goal, an assist, and a fight in the same game. The term is a tribute to the legendary player who was both one of the most talented and one of the toughest players ever to lace up a pair of skates.

The second oldest NHLer was defenseman Chris Chelios, who retired in 2010 at age 48. He was a member of the Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, and Montreal Canadiens, and remained a sought after blueliner until his final game. Chelios appeared in the playoffs a record 24 times, all but two of his 
    26 NHL seasons.

--- GOLF:  Jack Nicklaus, the Golden Bear, is the greatest golfer of all and was a force to be reckoned with on the PGA Tour for the better part of three decades. Jack Nicklaus holds the record for the oldest player to win the Masters, which he did in 1986 at age 46. That big win extended his record for most major championships to 18, a record that still stands. "The Golden 
    Bear" also racked up 73 PGA Tour wins in his career, a number surpassed only by fellow legend Sam Snead. Never one to say die, Nicklaus continued competing in PGA events until the age of 65, when he played in both the Masters and The Open Championship.

Fellow golf superstar Tom Watson might have made this list if he had pulled off a victory at the 2009 Open Championship. Instead, the 59-year-old Watson lost in a playoff, finishing second and thereby missing out on the chance to claim Nicklaus's record as the oldest player to win a major.

Die heart fan as I am, now that the SOX are out, I do enjoy the PATRIOT'S & believe they'll be in the playoffs but I really can't wait for the CELTICS !!! 

Sections
Shortcuts