What About Marcin Gortat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Saturday, June 8, 2013 by FLCeltsFan   11:15 AM  

Me and Marcin Gortat at the gym today! #celticnation#phoenixsuns#improve#GGG Brandon Bass posted this  photo on Instagram. By the way, Brandon just jumped into social media in a big way and you need to follow him on Twitter and Instagram ( @bestbetbass) and on Facebook (www.facebook.com/officialbrandonbass). He is posting some good stuff including some great photos and a weekly contest to win his sneakers. This photo got me thinking. What about Marcin Gortat? There was a lot of talk last season about him and a possible trade to Boston. It's apparent that he has a friend and workout partner on the Celtics. Maybe that's why rumors were popping up that Gortat wanted a trade to Boston. But it brings up the question for the Celtics right now, what about Marcin Gortat? 

The Suns now have a new GM, Ryan McDonough. If that name sounds familiar, it's because he spent the last 10 years in the Celtics front office, the last 3 as Danny Ainge's right hand man. Marcin Gortat, is in the last year of his contract with the Suns and made no secret of the fact that he wasn't happy in Phoenix last season. At one point, he also was quoted in on a Polish site saying that he would love to play for the Celtics. The Celtics need a center. The Suns are looking to rebuild and have been amassing draft picks. They have 6 first round draft picks and 10 overall over the next 3 drafts. They also face the situation of either trading Gortat this season or losing him for nothing in the offseason. 

Since Danny has already shown interest in Gortat, and since Danny obviously has a very good relationship with their new GM, maybe the Celtics and Suns can work out a trade that would help both teams. Perhaps, if (and that's a big IF)Danny is set on trading Paul Pierce, he can consider trading him to the Suns for Gortat and another player, that the Suns want to unload. (Gortat and Beasley for Pierce works). Phoenix can waive Pierce before July 1 and make him a free agent, thus saving a lot of salary on their part. Paul Pierce can sign with a contender. the Celtics would get the solid veteran center they need. It's just a thought. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

Re: What About Marcin Gortat?

not sure id want that trade you mentioned for gortat, but he would certainly fill the center void.

if there was a way we could do it and keep the 16th pick, im all for it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If the team kept KG and Pierce and the Suns took Lee, Melo and pick 16 at the time of the draft for Gortat I am all in.

They will likely want Bradley over Lee (deal would need Crawford in it as well to make the $ work) and I'd probably do that as well. IF they are keeping PP and KG for one more run.

If the team is going to blow it up and/or go young, then Gortat doesn't seem to eb an option.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

If the dump Beasley with Gortat, then they get less quality on a trade, which would be just in the Celtics wheel house.  No one wants Beasley but if you want Lee or Terry instead of Bradley, I make the move.  Sit Beasley right at the end of the bench until his contract expires or attitude adjusts.  Then look to trade Pierce.  I like KG, Gortat, Green, Bradley and Rondo.  Backed up by Sully, Williams, Terry or Lee (which ever is still here) Bass and what ever we get for Pierce (or keep Pierce as your sixth man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The trade proposal is intriguing - BUT - does it make the Cs a contender next season? If RR and Sully are 100% maybe - but - not likely! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Gortat was a great possibility when we thought we were one piece away.  Now, who is coming back,  with the same team maybe.  Without KG forget it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Would Love to see Gortat in the starting lineup w/ KG. KG needs to go back to PF position if he plays. He can't be the main rim protector anymore.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I like that Pierce/Lee for Gortat/Beasley idea.... but no #16 pick included.  Draft Shabazz to be the shooter to fill PP's shoes(hopefully).  Maybe KG can slap some sense into Beasley... kid was a hellava college player.  Time to give Fab some mins backing up Gortat.  But, yeah... Phx would want Avery instead of Lee.  No deal.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Gortat was a great possibility when we thought we were one piece away.  Now, who is coming back,  with the same team maybe.  Without KG forget it.

+1

Year 7 of the 3 year plan anyone?  I would love to see the C's contend next  year, but I don't see how it's realistically possible to compete with Miami, Indiana, or Chicago for the next 1-2 years.  And that's just the teams in the East.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

If Beasley responds well to KG therapy, the trade improves the Celtics; if not I would rather keep Peirce and draft a center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GAShamrock60. Show GAShamrock60's posts

In response to red2004sox's comment:

If the dump Beasley with Gortat, then they get less quality on a trade, which would be just in the Celtics wheel house.  No one wants Beasley but if you want Lee or Terry instead of Bradley, I make the move.  Sit Beasley right at the end of the bench until his contract expires or attitude adjusts.  Then look to trade Pierce.  I like KG, Gortat, Green, Bradley and Rondo.  Backed up by Sully, Williams, Terry or Lee (which ever is still here) Bass and what ever we get for Pierce (or keep Pierce as your sixth man.

I agree and if they don't contend this year you can trade Gortat for a young player and draft pick and begin the rebuild as KG and Pierce retire or go to another team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I like Gortat,not love but, like. It's all speculation until the end of the month but, if trading for Gortat, Pierce I don't think should be involved. This trade works $$ wise and to me Game wise too. Terry,Lee,Melo,#16,our first in 15 or 17 for Gortat,Dudley and this years #5. We get Gortat who can board,Dudley is a 2 position player with shooting skills and top 5 pick this year nuff said. Pheonix gets Terry who would be as valuable off the court as on, Lee who is a good player and decent all around player for the $ and Melo, who will have more opportunity to develop and if he does gives them a solid 4.5 talent going forward and get 2 1st for 1 high first this year. The Suns aren't getting turned around by one #5 pick but they can pick up a decent player at 16 that will be cheaper and have an extra pick in the near future that if we don't succeed in our retooling and have to rebuild, a possible lottery pick to trade or use

Pheonix has felt buyers remorse since picking up Gortat to the point where he was playing only about 20 minutes a game the second half. Dudley would be an excellent bench scorer spot starter at 2 positions,his contract is 4 years but a little less than Lee & Terrys. We get 2 good not great pieces that are still young enough to be solid contributors for  2-3 years, a pick that is probably a piece not a project eventhough we give up an extra 1st rounder to move up 9 places. Pheonix gets rid of a clubhouse distraction, adds veteran leadership,a combo G that is as good as anyone they got,don't lose any cap room for next seasons loaded FA market and less of residual parts from the old regime. This move require both teams take a small gamble for bigger and better options that would be benificial that fits both team scheduled plans and gives us a more solid and more enticing roster for wooing KG,Doc and PP now and give up a some future opportunity  and they get about even talent in return that gives them a lot more options in the near future.

Like everybody else not named Danny Ainge PP immediate future is all speculation but I'm thinking keeping PP now serves 2 purposes; 1 it gives us more time to evaluate a  few question marks concerning whether to hang our future on Rondo,Green,AB and Sully 2 I think barring a serious injury we'd get better value from trading Pierce at the trade deadline.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The great news in all of this - is - the Cs have multiple options. DA has stated in the past that he would not follow in the foot steps of GMs before him and hang onto players to long! If this holds true big changes are on the horizon! 

This could be the reason Doc is not committing to next season! A rebuild situation is not ideal for a sucessful veteran coach! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Much like this boards' fascination with Courtney Lee last summer.  I don't get people's fascination with Gortat.  Don't want him - he's not that good.  He's good enough to keep us mired in the low-middle of the pack and I don't want that.  Celtics should be accruing as much young talent as possible - no matter what the position.  Young talent and draft picks is what I want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Gortat would have been useful last year. Not excited to see him this year.