What are the C's options on JON?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: What are the C's options on JON?

Options? 

1. Wait it out and let him play a few games here and there until Perk gets back (not smart as it only takes away from Semi's development).

2. Release him and stop paying the luxury tax on his salary. Does nothing for the team, but saves the owners money and money is money!

3. Release him and try to get another player now

4. Release him and remember that we have too many players, anyway, when West and Perk get back.  

5. Try to get someone in a trade where the other team can take the benefit of releasing him to get luxury tax relief.  

6. Hey, let's get into that Carmelo trade mix and see if Detroit will let us somehow get Rip Hamilton and we send JON somewhere else!  Don't know how to make this work and yes, its far fetched, but we should try any and everything at this point!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Sorry - I wasn't clear.....I didn't mean Carmelo comes to us.  I meant in the 3 team deal, let's see if we can be a 4th team to help Denver and the Nets balance things out.   You know those deals can get complicated but let's offer JON's contract as help.

Another idea, already discussed many times, bring back Sheed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wouldn't mind #6 if we could get Rip but I think it would take too many moving parts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

Here is what I see as the potential, viable options:
     Nurse him and Semih through until Perk gets back, then use a rotation of Perk, Shaq, and Semih while Perk gets back into game shape. Deactivate JON. Shut him down until one month before the playoffs begin and start playing him to see what they have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

You are stuck with the bum! Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

He had an MRI for further medical evaluation.  So, there's a possibility they can identify what's causing the swelling.  It's possible they do a procedure and hope to rehab him for the end of the season and playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: What are the C's options on JON?:
    [QUOTE]Here is what I see as the potential, viable options:  Nurse him and Semih through until Perk gets back, then use a rotation of Perk, Shaq, and Semih while Perk gets back into game shape. Deactivate JON. Shut him down until one month before the playoffs begin and start playing him to see what they have.
    Posted by SoCalCeltFan[/QUOTE]

SoCal, that may be our only solution at this point. My issue is "what about next year?" Remember he isn't on a 1 year deal. This is why I'd like to get a buyout or injury settlement and move on.

Your suggestion sounds more plausible though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from albroadway. Show albroadway's posts

SIGN TINY GALLON TO A 10 DAY CONTRACT

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]SIGN TINY GALLON TO A 10 DAY CONTRACT
    Posted by albroadway[/QUOTE]  Either him or Sims! Sims is averaging 17ppg and 8.5 rpg's while Tiny is putting up 15.5 ppg and he is also pulling down 8 rpg's..Of course there is the much discussed return of Sheed...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are the C's options on JON? : How's he playing in Portland?
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I saw this guy playing not too long ago and after three sprints, the guy was tired... he is huge which is an asset but he does not uses his size at all..thats what I saw in him...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Bring Deshawn sims instead..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are the C's options on JON? :   I saw this guy playing not too long ago and after three sprints, the guy was tired... he is huge which is an asset but he does not uses his size at all..thats what I saw in him...
    Posted by cabutan[/QUOTE]

I have seen him play a few times.  He has talent but is not nearly disciplined enough. He makes a lot of mistakes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Kiss JON goodbye imo. I thinks hes done playing basketball. His knee is shot... taking off several weeks... plays a game then..  knee swells... TO me he's not gonna play again this year, maybe a little here & there as the Celts try to fool themselves but hes a goner.

Now we need Perk to give us something and hope Shaq wakes up from his fog. Semi will play but hes not gonna help us much.

Danny should sign Sheed... timing is perfect & he already understands the system & knows how to play with this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Anyone signed means someone has to go.  Who is that, Wafer?  We have 15 under contract.  If we could do a 2 for 1 deal where we get Fernandez or Batum or Battier or even Blachte, then do it, THEN sign Sheed and deactivate JON!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]Kiss JON goodbye imo. I thinks hes done playing basketball. His knee is shot... taking off several weeks... plays a game then..  knee swells... TO me he's not gonna play again this year, maybe a little here & there as the Celts try to fool themselves but hes a goner. Now we need Perk to give us something and hope Shaq wakes up from his fog. Semi will play but hes not gonna help us much. Danny should sign Sheed... timing is perfect & he already understands the system & knows how to play with this team.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny should bring in Sheed. Semih has been huge for us, without him I dont think we would have won this many games. The guy does commit silly fouls, but he is always around the ball, plays defense, plus he is playing with a bad shoulder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

Sign Sheed? Are you kidding me! This guy was never a celtic type player before. what would make you think that would change now? It wasn't to long ago everyone was hoping he was going to retire and thank god he did! NO TO SHEED!!!!! We either need to make a trade or keep what we got.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]Sign Sheed? Are you kidding me! This guy was never a celtic type player before. what would make you think that would change now? It wasn't to long ago everyone was hoping he was going to retire and thank god he did! NO TO SHEED!!!!! We either need to make a trade or keep what we got.
    Posted by paulbrr7[/QUOTE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep an injury ridden J Oneal? I would rather get another big for him. Sheed is the only person who seems to fit. He knows the system and workd well with the current roster. There can never be enough big men depth for a team!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Semih and Shaq will not hold up until Perk returns.  JON will be out indefinitely, I'm sure.  We CANNOT have KG playing the center position.  That's it.  We don't have anyone else.  We need to sign a big this weekend.

We need a big who can stay on the court.  One who doesn't suffer from an injury that will periodically sideline him.

I think we will soon see Wafer waived (with a promise to return on 10-day contracts once this is sorted out).  His salary is guaranteed for this entire season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Semih and Shaq will not hold up until Perk returns.  JON will be out indefinitely, I'm sure.  We CANNOT have KG playing the center position.  That's it.  We don't have anyone else.  We need to sign a big this weekend. We need a big who can stay on the court.  One who doesn't suffer from an injury that will periodically sideline him. I think we will soon see Wafer waived (with a promise to return on 10-day contracts once this is sorted out).  His salary is guaranteed for this entire season.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

And where do you want to get this big from?   If they were available I am sure the Magic would have him already.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

OneOnOne, funny you should ask.  First off, the Magic traded their only true backup center so it's obvious they are not pressed to pick one up.  Besides, they have the best center in the game and he rarely gets hurt.  Lastly, the Magic passed on centers because their offense is not predicated on having anyone that spectacular backing up Howard.  Three point shot is all they care about.

As for a center, I'll tell you where "I'd" get one from.  That's just me!  I'd bring in and work out the following big men who happen to NOT be under contract (might even take a test drive with a 10-day contract):
    1 -- Earl Barron 7'0" age 29
    2 -- Dwayne Jones 6'11" age 27 (1st team NBDL 2010)
    3 -- Brian Zoubek 7'1" (2010 NCAA Champion with Duke) - fierce rebounder with energy.

Then I'd inquire about the following players who are under contract:
    1 -- Kyrylo Fesenko 7'0" Utah with $1.08M expiring contract (shot blocker & rebounder)
    2 -- Francisco Elson 7'0" Utah with $1.145M expiring contract (athletic shot blocker)
    3 -- Hilton Armstrong 6'11" Washington with 992K expiring contract (shot blocker with decent offensive skills)
    4 -- Hasheem Thabeet 7'3" Memphis with $4.7M and $5.1M then team option (raw shot blocker who has a long way to go with work)

The MINUTE I know for certain JON's status, I'd initiate buy out talks to open the roster spot.  I'd also consider waiving Von Wafer with the promise to bring him back once this all gets sorted out.

The Celtics need someone NOW who can spell Shaq and Semih and provide some energy, defense and rebounding.  I think if they bring someone in, they'd be excited to play with the Big 4 and would do anything to keep their job.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Waiving Wafer is not the solution. Daniels will be the only backup SG/SF the Celtics have left if they waived Wafer. Pierce and Ray are playing less minutes lately because of Wafer's improved play. 

One option is to trade Avery Bradley, that will open up a roster spot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" think we will soon see Wafer waived" 

Wanna bet? Let's make it interesting.....

Perk isn't too far from returning, they will wait until then. Unless Perk has a setback they are not changing up the roster. They idea they can get some kind of quality big who isn't an old stiff by this weekend is delusional. 

I've lost almost all hope JON can be a meaningful contributor, but having said that, the Celts have nothing they do with him but put him on the end of the bench. They took some chances with older guys and this one didn't work out. The idea we can turn JON into something besides a turd is unfortunately just a dream.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

To quote a line from the movie "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid", 'Who ARE those guys?' Petey62, you are either a true NBA gym rat or a coroner to dig up those stiffs! :O) Unfortunately, you are what you are, and none of those guys are destined for serious playing time in the NBA, or they'd be there already [I know you have some end of the benchers on your list of cadavers]. Forget about 'Sheed. He was a cancer last year and made Doc's coaching life miserable, if you haven't read between the lines of some of Doc's comments about comparing last year's team to this year's. Plus, he didn't get in shape last year, when he KNEW HE HAD TO. What makes you think he wants to undergo a crash get in shape program now? He's been eating Philly cheesesteaks, Tastycakes, Wise potato chips, scrapple, and hoagies and kicking back. His mouth will be earning techs while he lounges on the bench unable to play for 4 to 6 weeks. Who needs that!?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey, I agree with SoCal.....all of those guys are just stiffs.  If they were on the roster, Doc would simply play Shaq and Semih more and if both were in foul trouble, he'll just go small ball without a center, shifting KG or BBD to center for a while.  Those guys you name would be worse than going small ball.  We've seen Doc (and other coaches) do it before and I bet he would do it again (and I wouldn't blame him).  Heck Miami does it all the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

By the way, to be clear:  I agree with SoCal about those guys being stiffs.  I don't agree with him at all about Sheed.