What are the C's options on JON?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: What are the C's options on JON?

In Response to Re: What are the C's options on JON?:
    [QUOTE]He isn't jumping at surgery because he already had surgery on the knee and it was supposed to be OK.  He probably needs it scoped or cleaned out, which should not take too long to heal if they can identify soemthing that isn't right that is causing a little abrasion that is causing friction/rubbing that results in swelling.  He's not all about it right away because surgery has risks and he wants to be playing, Tom Brady missed a whole season because of an infection that can happen during any open surgery.  You're supposed to take it seriously, it is not a small decision to get cut open with a knife.  He'd like to play and do it in the off season, he already feels like he is a let down, and is trying to play through the pain for the team and the fans - and all you can do is bash the guy.  Did you bash KG all last year and this year because KG is also dealing with injuries?  This guy is a 5 time all star who could be the difference in bringing another title to Boston.  They're not going to get anything trading an injured player.  The only thing that can happen is they deal with the issue and get some quality court time out of him as a player.
    Posted by jeezem[/QUOTE]

Spot On.  Some sanity in this post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

You're giving him more credit than he deserves. He's already got in his mind "that he needs to be 100%, he'd like to retire a Pacer". HE said those things so part of this is mental. Can he explain to the Dr's why his knee keeps swelling up?? Wanting to play is one thing, all players want to play.

If the Dr's are getting MRI's and don't see anything but inflammation and he rest 2 weeks and then it swells again, what does he want the Dr's to do? Part of this is managing it in his mind. Getting the treatment necessary and maybe playing every other game...not every game, sitting out practices, etc.

He gets scared because it swells up. If he wants to play without getting surgery he may just have to do what I just listed and stop thinking about it. It seems mental if the Dr's can't find any tears or structural damage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]You're giving him more credit than he deserves. He's already got in his mind "that he needs to be 100%, he'd like to retire a Pacer". HE said those things so part of this is mental. Can he explain to the Dr's why his knee keeps swelling up?? Wanting to play is one thing, all players want to play. If the Dr's are getting MRI's and don't see anything but inflammation and he rest 2 weeks and then it swells again, what does he want the Dr's to do? Part of this is managing it in his mind. Getting the treatment necessary and maybe playing every other game...not every game, sitting out practices, etc. He gets scared because it swells up. If he wants to play without getting surgery he may just have to do what I just listed and stop thinking about it. It seems mental if the Dr's can't find any tears or structural damage.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

You appear to have a lot more insight and knowledge on this than you really have. Are you a doctor?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

No but I play one on this board. :-)

It's common sense. He has surgery, gets rest, Dr's do MRI's find no tear or structural damage. He gets more rest, it swells up.

Is there something wrong with the knee?

Is this guy mentally not prepared to do what it takes to play with some pain?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

Not to regurgitate old postings but....This issue shouldn't even be an issue! I never could understand why Ainge signed two old big men anywhy. I still feel that signing (two years?) and the Nate signing were bad signings. However I was wrong on the Daniels signing that one is turning out ok. 1 for 3 Danny boy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Celtsfan4life, You have to look at the schedule. I just posted that I don't think KG should return until Jan. 27th vs Portland. These are all pros. It's not we're expecting the 3rd string C to start game 7 of the Finals. The one thing you're forgetting is FOUL TROUBLE. Ok so you have two guys splitting time for 48 mins. If one of them OR both of them get in foul trouble, how do you make up those other minutes?? We know Semih can play more than 10 mins but both him and Shaq have been in foul trouble most of these games. Losing leads happens in the NBA, you can't substitute just to keep leads. Funny things happne in games that you don't expect. A 14 point lead in the NBA is nothing. It's the last 5 mins that really matter. Can you get stops, rebound and score.

Well, my friend, on a lot of points we agree.  But most of your points, we disagree.  Starting from the bottom, its NOT just the last 5 minutes that matter.  Games are VERY often won and lost in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.....for many reasons.  You get so far behind its difficult to come back, you leave a weaker team in the game and THEN anything can happen.....build a lead and they're never in it.  Of course more than the last 5 mins really count.

Where I agree is that we could hurt if BOTH are in foul trouble.

However, Petey's point was not about fouls unless I misread comments in this thread as well as others.  He said "we need a 3rd string center to spell Shaq and Semih " and he said they would sustain injuries from too many minutes.  I just don't agree with that.  Semih can play more minutes without danger of injury from stress or without being "worn out".

So what do we do about foul trouble?  In that situation, we can and do play small ball.  Davis can be center for short periods and has done it well.  It has nothing at all to do with game 7 of the finals.  Its every day basketball and not only do the Celtics do it and do well, so do the Magic, the Heat, the Knicks, the Spurs, etc.  Heck, the Heat, Knicks, Spurs, and Magic don't even play with a back up center - they go to small ball immediately.  In the case of the Heat and the Spurs, that's even a part of their scheme....witness Duncan's minutes where they go with two guys 6'9'' (Blair and Bonner) for very long periods.  

I just don't agree that we HAVE to have a 3rd string center to survive.  We have the tools to survive with 2 centers (not optimal, but not desperate, either) until Perk is back playing well - 2 months if we have to but I don't think it will be that long.

Just my thinking.  We can debate it for days but as I said before, its up to Danny to see if he thinks he has to make a desperate pickup.   I say get Sheed or ride it out.....no need for another player other than these guys.

And yes, Thank Goodness Shaq signed or we'd really be in trouble.  But, that's where Danny was doing his job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Good points Celtsfan4 life.

I guess I look at the games differently. Runs are made all the time during a game. Foul trouble creeps up, a guy gets on fire, someone on the bench plays better than expected. This is why I put up the thread "examining our losses". If you look at those games most were lost in the last 5 mins if not all of them. So I'll stick with games can't be won or lost in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter. When a team gets blown out, they got off the bus not even wanting to play.

Yes we can play small ball, tinker with the lineup, play Luke big minutes, etc, etc,. That's what you have to do but I bet if you ask Doc he would rather keep everyone in their roles if possible. Once guys get out of their roles you never know when/if they'll come back to that role. LOL! (i.e. Nate struggling with his shot because he's had to play PG) (BBD getting more minutes and in turn is less effective).

Good debate, we just see some differences in the approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

BiasLewis is an engineer in real life, that's why he loves to "engineer" trades for the Celtics. The good thing is none of his trade proposals are close to happening. Specially the Marcus Camby going to Boston deal. 

HAHAHA!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Good points Celtsfan4 life. I guess I look at the games differently. Runs are made all the time during a game. Foul trouble creeps up, a guy gets on fire, someone on the bench plays better than expected. This is why I put up the thread "examining our losses". If you look at those games most were lost in the last 5 mins if not all of them. So I'll stick with games can't be won or lost in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter. When a team gets blown out, they got off the bus not even wanting to play. Yes we can play small ball, tinker with the lineup, play Luke big minutes, etc, etc,. That's what you have to do but I bet if you ask Doc he would rather keep everyone in their roles if possible. Once guys get out of their roles you never know when/if they'll come back to that role. LOL! (i.e. Nate struggling with his shot because he's had to play PG) (BBD getting more minutes and in turn is less effective). Good debate, we just see some differences in the approach.

Whatever the solution (a trade/move or just managing minutes and positions), I hope we get through this without too many losses.   Go Celts!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71158/20110115/jermaine_oneal_will_decide_on_surgery_tuesday/

---------------------------------------------------
    So NO ONE knows what the injury is?? Why won't he reveal it?

I don't get this. Since when did JON reach the KG category for not revealing injuries?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71158/20110115/jermaine_oneal_will_decide_on_surgery_tuesday/ --------------------------------------------------- So NO ONE knows what the injury is?? Why won't he reveal it? I don't get this. Since when did JON reach the KG category for not revealing injuries?

Its a knee injury

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhajra. Show dhajra's posts

I'm not a doctor, but I posted a few days ago that, based on my own similar knee problems, I doubted JON would be playing pro basketball much longer.

I've got a knee that swells up and hurts like heck, too.  I just walk on mine, but it's bad.  I've had it scoped, had meniscus tears repaired, and had  physical therapy.  Now, some years later, the knee is bad because I have arthritis from years of wear and tear.  My orthopedist, who by the way, does work on pro athletes as well as regular people like me, says, beyond knee replacement, there is nothing left to do but treat swelling and pain.

JON, in his position as a pro, has certainly had this stuff done already.  And he surely has arthritis, since he has been slamming and banging on that knee for years.  I'm guessing he is at the point where all that is left is to treat the swelling and pain, rest the knee and wait until he can play a few more games and so on and so forth.  That is why they are not telling us what the problem is.  There's not much they can do about it, except what they are already doing.  JON and the Celtics have to decide if they want him to play a few games here and there for the rest of the season, or if they want to let him have some  other kind of treatment (not sure what) that would surely keep him out for the rest of the season.  It would be nice to think there is a quick fix for him, but I just don't think so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Petey, all valid arguments (about "we need SOMEBODY").   You make all good points and candidly, I admit I'm not smart enough to know whether the current team is going to play too many minutes and we need another body or if the current team of Garnett, BBD, Shaq, and Semih can handle the needs.   If I could rank the choices, I'd go with Sheed first (knows our system, doesn't bind us to any long term contract, is known and liked by the other players and by the coach).   I've watched some of those other guys you mention and while you mention their 3rd string stats like "  5 rebounds and changing 2 shots while committing 3 fouls ", I fear what will happen is that a lead goes from up 5 to down 5 in 2 minutes due to a third string center making 3 fumbles, allowing 3 consecutive offensive boards by his opponent, and being out of rotation all the time.   In other words, he may be more of a hindrance than a help!   While its fun to play GM on this Board and it gives us a release, the real question is what our REAL GM is going to do.  I'm betting that he tries to ride it out and if not, he tries to go for Sheed.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about resigning Rasheed.  We definitely need someone else since Jon probably isn't going to be able to play much for the remainder of the season and Rasheed is probably the best available player that isn't currently in the NBA.  We definitely don't need his technicals, but if he is healthy and plays smart basketball, (not shooting unnecessary 3's all of the time), he could definitely help this team for the remainder of the season.  Someone would have to be released if they signed Rasheed.  Not sure who that would be. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are the C's options on JON? : I did not suggest we bring Sheed back but when you compare what Sheed brings to what we have in that spot now, I can see where he might be an option.  Third string center, yes. You are too funny, I'm not a coronor nor a gym rat.  I'm a Celtics fan who believes it's time to put the "final run" team together and we'll need, more than anything, guys who will provide minutes and contribute. Keep this in mind, many of the names I listed can give the Celtics something merely because who the Celtics have on the court around them.  When you play with Rondo, Ray, KG and PP, whatever your job is comes just a bit easier.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]I've got nothing but love for you, Brother! Smile

Sections
Shortcuts