What are your top 5 'What ifs?' in Celtic history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Re: What are your top 5 'What ifs?' in Celtic history?

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Rame that's an impressive list. 

Not drafting Kobe is an interesting one to consider. 

So is the trading of Billups and/or Joe Johnson. 

Reggie Lewis should probably be on your list. 

I'd take Pitino off, at least in terms of Larry Brown, Brown never sticks around long anyhow so that's not a big one in my mind. Brown is better if you're right up against a championship. However: what if the Celts had turned the franchise over to Larry Bird instead of Pitino is very interesting, I might put that number three. Bird clearly knew a thing or two about building franchises, Pitino put us in a ten year tailspin.

What if the Celts hadn't traded Perkins makes my top five, probably at the number five spot. I think it cost us a ring but likely not more than one ring (unlike the tragic loss of Bias which altered the course of the franchise)

Here is my top 5 list of things that would have happened if we had Larry Brown over Pitino:

1. McGrady over Mercer

2. Ben Wallace over Dwayne Schintzious and later extends Bruce Bowen

3. No Billups or Vitaly trades (meaning we kept our '99 1st rd pick)

4. Dirk over Pierce ('98 C's are worse initially w/ TMac over mercer)

5. '99 1st is Andre Miller, Marion, Rip Hamilton or Jason Terry. Let's say Terry or Rip so we have a SG.

Team makes it to thew playoff under Larry Brown for the first time in the year 2000, 2 years earlier than the mess Pitino created.

The rotation:

C- Ben Wallace, Battie

PF - Dirk, Antoine

SF - TMac, Bowen

SG - Terry or Hamilton

PG - Billups

That team makes the '01 finals over the Sixers

Wasn't Dirk drafted before Pierce?  I think it was said that the C's wanted Dirk, but ended up getting a consolation prize in Pierce, the steal of the draft. 

Dirk went to milwaukee with the 9th pick---Pierce to the Celts with the 10th pick.

Seems

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Since Tony Parker over Joe Forte was brought up, let's hear your (realistic) top 5 'What ifs' in Celtics history. Mine:

1. What if Len Bias never dies? (this should be everyone's #1)

2. What if we landed Duncan, like the odds said we should have in '97?

3. What if Red Auerbach drafted Tim Hardaway over Michael Smith like his staff claimed they were going to in '89?

4. What if the C's hired Larry Brown (who thought he had the job) over Rick Pitino for Coach/President in 1997?

5. What if the C's shut McHale down in '87 as soon as he broke his foot and he got the best case surgery and physical therapy he could at the time?

Good list. To me, Bias is clearly # 1. I think that would have been at least 2 more championships. Your #4 is probably my #2. This once proud franchise has had mediocre FO talent since Red retired. The FO talent the last 25 years has not been Celtic worthy. Who in their right mind would ever think DA would be a good GM ? Now the Celts are irrelevant thanks to DA's incompetence. Getting Duncan would have been huge too. Especially with a good GM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

What about if we had drafted Kevin Durant. Pierce would have been traded, the entire team would have been different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

What about if we had drafted Kevin Durant. Pierce would have been traded, the entire team would have been different.

Or Oden!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I don't know about Bias. While everyone claimed he was going to be great, he never played in the NBA, and how many top draft picks never pan out. In addition, Reggy Lewis, while an all star, was a second tier all star. Both stories were tragic, but...

My biggest what ifs are related to Bird's back, and KG's knee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

KG's injury prevented a repeat in my opinion.....the Celtics were rolling with the league's best record....KG was lost for the playoff run and the Celts lost to the Magic.....if KG stays healthy we hang banner #18...no question in my mind, the team was that good...!!

the Celtics have an unbelievable Finals' record of 17-4.....the four losses were the result of injuries

Russell in '58

Bird and Max in '85

almost the entire team in '87

Perk in '10 (although that may be a little bit of a reach)....Celts went back to LA up 3-2.....and led almost the entire way in game 7....that was a tragic loss IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I agree. Bird was so great that there would have been at least be one more banner.

KG's injury may have prevented mulitple banners. What if?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Dirk drafted before Pierce?  I think it was said that the C's wanted Dirk, but ended up getting a consolation prize in Pierce, the steal of the draft. 

[/QUOTE]

If the Celtics drafted TMac, an 18-19 year old, over Mercer, a 20-21 year old NCAA champ AND didn't trade the 20 year old Billups for Kenny Anderson, they 99.99% would have had a top 6 pick in '98 and been able to take Dirk and not been sitting at 10

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

What if Perkins could run, jump, and catch passes? Seriously, Pitino's time set the franchise back at least a decade, if not more.  Boston would have been better off if Pitino had come from UConn instead of Kentucky.  No one in the NBA has ever been such a poor judge of talent and so arrogant while being so wrong.

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks