What can Brewer bring us?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

What can Brewer bring us?

Rumors going on that c's are very interested in Brewer We know he can play defense and has no offense. But where can he find his spot in the rotation ? And will he get any minutes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: What can Brewer bring us?

it is a good question. Brewer was a very high draft choice, is still very young, yet could not find a place on a very poor TWolves roster.
    In addition, while he is supposed to be a good defender, the Knicks, who have yet to play defense this year, seemingly are willing to let him go for nothing. Why aren't the Knicks saying "who will cover LBJ or PP in the playoffs when Melo needs a rest"?
    Two teams in need of a defender are giving up on a 24 year old. On this Celtic team, assuming health, I don't think Brewer is in Doc's 9 man playoff rotation. Perhaps the Celts are thinking for down the road with this guy? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

If we don't bet Murphy what was DA's alternative plan.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: What can Brewer bring us?:
    [QUOTE]If we don't bet Murphy what was DA's alternative plan.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

If the Celts don't get Murphy it will be brewer than brew, sadder than sad.

HAHAHA!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

I guess i am missing what is so special about Murphy?  Brewer can play D but cant score.  That's about all i know about him.  Stopped following after he left Florida.  And to think he went ahead of Noah

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The Celtics have 3 open roster spots (if you add the 10-day contract for Johnson) so there is no true downside to picking Brewer up.  I can imagine seeing Rondo (or Delonte), Ray (Wafer or Delonte), Brewer, Green and Kristic together on the court RUNNING.  That would change things up (in game) and bring a totally different dimension to our team.  I don't think you can have too many long, athletic, defensive-minded players on your team.  If they perform, they will get the minutes.

I'd also love to see a lineup of Delonte, Brewer, Green, Kristic and Baby totally "lock down" another team's second unit.  When you get down to it, it's defense that wins championships.  And if you have 2 or 3 guys on the court who make it extremely difficult for guys to score on, that will prove more valuable to picking up a Kapono-type long range shooter who cannot defend anyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics have 3 open roster spots (if you add the 10-day contract for Johnson) so there is no true downside to picking Brewer up.  I can imagine seeing Rondo (or Delonte), Ray (Wafer or Delonte), Brewer, Green and Kristic together on the court RUNNING.  That would change things up (in game) and bring a totally different dimension to our team.  I don't think you can have too many long, athletic, defensive-minded players on your team.  If they perform, they will get the minutes. I'd also love to see a lineup of Delonte, Brewer, Green, Kristic and Baby totally "lock down" another team's second unit.  When you get down to it, it's defense that wins championships.  And if you have 2 or 3 guys on the court who make it extremely difficult for guys to score on, that will prove more valuable to picking up a Kapono-type long range shooter who cannot defend anyone.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Nice second unit, Petey.  I also like TJ Ford (rumored to being bought out as we speak), Brewer, Green, BBD and Murphy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

One more thing.  BREWER CAN SCORE!

He played in all 82 games with Minnesota last year and averaged 13 points per game.  He cannot shoot but he finds ways to score.  He's even averaging 8.6 pts per game this season as up and down as it's been for him.

I think if you provide some stability for him, he will shine.  I think it would be a steal.  He's a very good player and a definite upgrade to Wafer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]One more thing.  BREWER CAN SCORE! He played in all 82 games with Minnesota last year and averaged 13 points per game.  He cannot shoot but he finds ways to score.  He's even averaging 8.6 pts per game this season as up and down as it's been for him. I think if you provide some stability for him, he will shine.  I think it would be a steal.  He's a very good player and a definite upgrade to Wafer.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

petey- he played a lot of minutes to score 13 a game and at that it was on low percentages.  i think his whole career he is sub 40% from the field.

however, i think this team can use a defensive hustle guy and you can't miss dunks on a fast break with rondo when you're 6-9 with 7-1 arms.  brewer could take up marquis' scoring role easily just running the wing in limited minutes.  maybe even score 8 a game. 

we are a couple of pieces away from having some guys who can run with rondo on top of being decent 2nd unit defensively.  brewer could spell pierce and that would be important too.

i like jeff green but i don't think he's fast enough to deal with some of the #3's in the league.  brewer is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We have a spot open...I'll take him....good insurance for the playoffs...you dont have to get consistent minutes if you are just a defender....We could pull em out during the playoffs for matchup purposes or if we get into foul trouble at the 2/3 spots

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

[QUOTE]Corey Brewer is a legit 6'9" and is a legit defender; unselfish, with college championship pedigree.  I think he fits as a wing defender at the 2,3,and sometimes 4.  I think Doc is pretty much done with the Von Wafer experiment.  It seems Doc and the team were trying to convince him of how he can earn NBA minutes and it seems like a push.  I think that if you had a second second string of, pick a center, JO, Nenad, or Murphy, you then go with Big Baby, Jeff Green, Corey Brewer, and Delonte West.   Last night against Utah I saw the C's use Paul at the two for the first time in a long time with Green at the three, meaning I think Doc really does not trust Von Wafer out there and the only guard he really trust off the bench is Delonte.  I really like a second unit anchored with Baby, Green, Brewer, and West.  I am really hoping we get Brewer...  
    Posted by ShepherdCall[/QUOTE]

Well yeah I think the problem with wafer is, is that doesn't take any risks. He doesn't explode to the basket.  I see him alwaysat the three point line. He should attack more the basket we all know he can but he is just freightned I think. He looked to me like Tony Allen when he came back after that awefull knee injury... didn't want to take any risks.  He does not have that midrange game, he hasn't improved his defense that much and he is not really active  on the offensive end neither. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Here's a taste of what he brings.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

With ESPN reporting that we are getting Murphy we can go for Brewer whjo is an all effort guy,can't shoot but is very active and plays all out. If healthy and thats a big if is that the Knicks waived Azibuike SG after he was expendable, he knee surgery and was hurt most of this year if he has fully recovered he would be more help than Brewer long and short term Azibuike has great hands,can shoot with mad range,rebounds well for a 2  and is another versatile player that can play at 2 positions SG/SF he played point sometimes with GS. He would be great if healthy thats a big if though. Before getting hurt in GS he avg 15 pts 5rebs agin if he's healthy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Mitch not sure what you been watching, when given the opportunity Wafer has put up numbers for us, and he def. goes to the hoop.  I think his scoring off the bench has been very valuble a few games.  He doenst get consistent minutes every night and not really a stopper, but the kid is not that bulky, so its a stretch to ask him to stop a Dwayne Wade type, but for scoring off the bench, I thought he has been solid. Def. not playing frightened like you said...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like Brewer.  He's a matchup nightmare on both ends of the floor.  He can probably defend 3 positions.  He is not as bad offensively as some think.  I think he has "good role player" written all over him, and he is an upgrade to what the C's can throw out there now.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

[QUOTE]Mitch not sure what you been watching, when given the opportunity Wafer has put up numbers for us, and he def. goes to the hoop.  I think his scoring off the bench has been very valuble a few games.  He doenst get consistent minutes every night and not really a stopper, but the kid is not that bulky, so its a stretch to ask him to stop a Dwayne Wade type, but for scoring off the bench, I thought he has been solid. Def. not playing frightened like you said...
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    I don't think he did a bad job don't misunderstand me... I just think he is not giving a 100% (he is still a bit cautious)and ofcourse i'd love to give him more minutes but to be honoust. I feel more safe with West and Green on the floor then Wafer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, I'll admit it ... I wanted Brewer with the C's draft pick in 2007 and Green is better and even those touting Noah were correct but now we could end up with both Green and Brewer .... What A Draft! Always wonder if the C's had gotten lucky if they would have taken Oden or Durant  with the 1st pick ... Durant would have been sweet but something tells me we dodged a bullet.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

All we need to do now is trade some crappy stuff for Oden!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a taste of what he brings.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBAuCIqSPM
    Posted by celticjay[/QUOTE]

If he brings the hustle he shows in some of those clips (offensively, but especially defensively), we will love him. He seemed to show excellent court presence without the ball and for 6'9" he looks down right fast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What's up with the youtube links? So the guy can dunk.
    I also don't get the comment "the guy is a nightmare matchup on both ends of the court"
    Seems at least 2 teams, the TWolves and Knicks, seem to think he can't play.
    Brewer s/b joining his buddy Noah down at IMG basketball camp working on his shooting and ball handling. Other than athleticism, he does not have NBA caliber offensive skills.
    I can see the potential, he is not yet 24 and has tons of athleticism, but he won't play for Doc if he makes mistakes...see Giddens, see Walker, see Bradley, etc, etc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]What's up with the youtube links? So the guy can dunk. I also don't get the comment "the guy is a nightmare matchup on both ends of the court" Seems at least 2 teams, the TWolves and Knicks, seem to think he can't play. Brewer s/b joining his buddy Noah down at IMG basketball camp working on his shooting and ball handling. Other than athleticism, he does not have NBA caliber offensive skills. I can see the potential, he is not yet 24 and has tons of athleticism, but he won't play for Doc if he makes mistakes...see Giddens, see Walker, see Bradley, etc, etc
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Nightmare matchup is because he's agile enough to cover some 1's and most if not all 2's and 3's and ultimately someone smaller ends up on him. He is a good defender and I've seen him post up and shoot over smaller guys with ease, and he can fill the lane in transition.  He is versatile.  I liked him coming out of UF and I have watched him play in probably 20 games or so in the NBA.   Not that the Celtics will rely on him for isolation and mismatches, but he is capable of doing so and he is a better defender than Marquis Daniels. 

He's not the next great thing but he's certainly not a trash player because he is on his 3rd team.  He was expendable in NY, and he played pretty well in Minny at times before he got hurt.  He brings an added dimension that they don't currently have in my opinion.     

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]What's up with the youtube links? So the guy can dunk. I also don't get the comment "the guy is a nightmare matchup on both ends of the court" Seems at least 2 teams, the TWolves and Knicks, seem to think he can't play. Brewer s/b joining his buddy Noah down at IMG basketball camp working on his shooting and ball handling. Other than athleticism, he does not have NBA caliber offensive skills. I can see the potential, he is not yet 24 and has tons of athleticism, but he won't play for Doc if he makes mistakes...see Giddens, see Walker, see Bradley, etc, etc
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

IMHO, it is not THAT he can dunk, but why he GETS his dunk - hustle and court presence. He is quick for his size and seems to always be in motion - good qualities for a player with limited offensive skills.
    If you didn't see his defensive hustle and intelligence in those clips, you were just looking for a reason to dismiss him. I think he showed far better court sense for his age than any of the players you mentioned.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Agreed. I hope when the playoffs come around it will be a mute point, cuz i dont believe he will get the minutes when Doc cuts down to his playoff rotation which may go deep as 9, but I dont think any further than that..until necessary

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

buy out season is unfortunately otherwise known as "taking out the trash"...lets hope this year for the Celts that "some one else's trash is the Celt's treasure"..
    I think the biggest difference between Brewer and Giddens, Walker and Bradley has been minutes played.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ftld0. Show ftld0's posts

to me he is a taller tony allen cuz hes a lot similar both had some potenial but then had acl surgurys and cant shoot for there life and can both dunk like crazy and play good defense can play on transition and dribble the ball off there foot and knees Laughing and cause heart attacks to there fan base when they have the ball

Sections
Shortcuts