What constitutes an "elite" NBA team? Is there a definition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhajra. Show dhajra's posts

What constitutes an "elite" NBA team? Is there a definition?

Here's a question for all of you who, presumably, know at least as much, and probably more, about basketball than I do.

Lately the talking heads have been talking a lot about the "elite" teams, i.e., saying that LA has been having a problem beating the "elite" teams, and that Sacramento has had some success in beating "elite" teams but losing to everyone else. 

I know that in some sports "elite" has a specific definition, but does it in basketball.  I know in my mind which teams they are talking about when they say "elite", but does it mean something specific?  Teams with over 500 records?  Teams that have been in the playoffs for a certain number of years?  I've googled it, but I haven't found an answer.  Does anybody know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Re: What constitutes an "elite" NBA team? Is there a definition?

For me, I consider an elite team (in basketball), one that breaks 60 wins.  Right now I consider Boston and San Antonio to be the two elite teams, while LA and Miami are on the verge. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhajra. Show dhajra's posts

In Response to Re: What constitutes an "elite" NBA team? Is there a definition?:
    For me, I consider an elite team (in basketball), one that breaks 60 wins.  Right now I consider Boston and San Antonio to be the two elite teams, while LA and Miami are on the verge. 
    Posted by jofc

Thanks for your response, jofc.  I guess I have been considering the teams who are currently in the top, say, 4 in each Conference as elite teams.  But I am wondering if there is an official NBA definition as to what "elite" means.  If we don't find any better definition, I think both yours and mine work quite well:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

It's a good question dhajra.  I think it's a subjective term.  However you look at teams like San Antonio, and they've been top tier for 10 years now. 

I may have to google this one hahaha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

A team, that on a roll, could win it all.

Sections
Shortcuts