what could happen if Ainge decides to "keep the band together" for one final year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

what could happen if Ainge decides to "keep the band together" for one final year?

we all know by know that there is no cap space to sign anyone other than the MLE (would it be $3M/year or $5M/year?).

so any changces Ainge could make would be  through sign and trades with existing players we have (and their contracts).

current roster with Next years Salary # (from  http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html).

C/PF-K. Garnett- $12.44M

C- F. Melo- $1.31M

PF- B. Bass- $6.45M

PF- J. Sullinger- $1.36M

PF/SF- J. Green- $8.96M

SF- P. Pierce- $15.33M

SG- C. Lee- $5.22M

SG- J. Terry- $5.22M

SG- J. Crawford- $2.16M

SG/PG- A. Bradley- $2.51M

PG- R. Rondo- $11.95M

Player with reported Non-guaranteed deals:

C/PF- S. Randolph- $1.1M

PF- DJ White- $1.02M

SG/PG- T. Williams- $0.947M

thats 11 players with guaranteed deals and 3 more with non-guaranteed deals.

at the #16 pick and then make your moves!!

YOU are Ainge for the off-season and you are going to try one LAST run with Pierce and KG.

enjoy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: what could happen if Ainge decides to

the one last run was two years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The Cs would most likely not even make the playoffs. They are old and slow and can't rebound the ball. It is what it is.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

They would probably be about an 8 seed, which is the worst thing that could happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

A couple of things to ponder... DA may well be looking at a two or three year approach rather than trying to fix things with some silver-bullet trade/move. 

-- If he keeps the band together, he gets full cap relief from PP a year from now and KG is then an expiring contract along with Bass and Terry providing significantly more felxibility. 

-- The FA pool is also much more attractive a year from now than this year.  For those that say Boston can't attract a top-tier FA, when was the last time we had that type of money?  And the goal then might not be top-tier but a mid-tier component piece FA.

-- For those that want to "blow it up" right now... how much value do you place on a winning atmosphere...?  Be careful what you ask for as it isn't hard to become a virtual laughing stock like the Bobcats or Wizards have been for years with lots of young athletes and "talent" but no leadership/culture.

-- I think DA's roadmap might well mirror the Pacers (only one player - Paul George - picked in the top-10 pick in their starting five and possibly on the entire roster).  In this case, I believe he may view it as very important to maintain the culture/approach of PP and KG as an aspect of the continued developemnt/maturation or RR, AB, Sully, Green, Melo as DA attempts to mold the next champioshjip-caliber team over the next couple of years without delving into the lottery and mediocrity for multiple years... It is all a matter of where he views the ceiling of that group along with options to complement them with a move possibly 2 years from now.  If you ditch PP's salray and say go for Big Al or OJ Mayo - then that felxibility is basically gone and you have rolled the dice this year...No tsure that is the way to go.

-- Regarding the #16 pick: I don't know enough of Saric, Schroeder, Gobert or a range of others that didn't play college ball to pick a player - I suspect that DA will simply go with the best player available that is not a SF.  Given his track record inb the draft I will trust DA's assessment.

-- Regarding not making the playoffs (antiqueman), who is real likely to pass us...?  Bucks finished 3.5 games behind and will be worse next year while even standing still I think we will be better as we will be healthy.  Philly and Toronto were 7.5 behind us and both organizations are in flux.  Detroit/Wash were 12.5 behind and while they have good youth, i don't consider them playoff teams... In the East with a healthy Rondo & Sully and improving AB and JG - we may not be championship caliber next year, but we are definitely playoff caliber with KG and PP.

-- Once one starts at... we are not going to be a champioship contender (outside of a cinderella-type run) next year or possible the year after, then it changes how one might look at next year... I do not believe one has to blow it up, unless you somehow get a near-superstar in return.  There is a logic in staying the course next year... it might not be exciting, but that doens't mean it isn't correct.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Y'all are crazy ... if KG retires and PP is bought out ... a team with: Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Terry, Bass, Melo, Rookie ... that team still competes for the 8th spot.

So a team with KG and PP could probably aim as high as 4th seed and land anywhere from 4-9

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Y'all are crazy ... if KG retires and PP is bought out ... a team with: Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Terry, Bass, Melo, Rookie ... that team still competes for the 8th spot.

So a team with KG and PP could probably aim as high as 4th seed and land anywhere from 4-9

R9R,

Who is y'all...?  Kyceltic believes they'd be an 8-seed, I also believe they'd be a playoff team...  The difference between Ky and me is that I don't necessarily think being the #8 seed is kiss of death that many do...  I also agree with you that depending on continued development we might be better than the 8 seed - assuming health.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Bird-to-DJ's comment:

A couple of things to ponder... DA may well be looking at a two or three year approach rather than trying to fix things with some silver-bullet trade/move. 

-- If he keeps the band together, he gets full cap relief from PP a year from now and KG is then an expiring contract along with Bass and Terry providing significantly more felxibility. 

-- The FA pool is also much more attractive a year from now than this year.  For those that say Boston can't attract a top-tier FA, when was the last time we had that type of money?  And the goal then might not be top-tier but a mid-tier component piece FA.

-- For those that want to "blow it up" right now... how much value do you place on a winning atmosphere...?  Be careful what you ask for as it isn't hard to become a virtual laughing stock like the Bobcats or Wizards have been for years with lots of young athletes and "talent" but no leadership/culture.

-- I think DA's roadmap might well mirror the Pacers (only one player - Paul George - picked in the top-10 pick in their starting five and possibly on the entire roster).  In this case, I believe he may view it as very important to maintain the culture/approach of PP and KG as an aspect of the continued developemnt/maturation or RR, AB, Sully, Green, Melo as DA attempts to mold the next champioshjip-caliber team over the next couple of years without delving into the lottery and mediocrity for multiple years... It is all a matter of where he views the ceiling of that group along with options to complement them with a move possibly 2 years from now.  If you ditch PP's salray and say go for Big Al or OJ Mayo - then that felxibility is basically gone and you have rolled the dice this year...No tsure that is the way to go.

-- Regarding the #16 pick: I don't know enough of Saric, Schroeder, Gobert or a range of others that didn't play college ball to pick a player - I suspect that DA will simply go with the best player available that is not a SF.  Given his track record inb the draft I will trust DA's assessment.

-- Regarding not making the playoffs (antiqueman), who is real likely to pass us...?  Bucks finished 3.5 games behind and will be worse next year while even standing still I think we will be better as we will be healthy.  Philly and Toronto were 7.5 behind us and both organizations are in flux.  Detroit/Wash were 12.5 behind and while they have good youth, i don't consider them playoff teams... In the East with a healthy Rondo & Sully and improving AB and JG - we may not be championship caliber next year, but we are definitely playoff caliber with KG and PP.

-- Once one starts at... we are not going to be a champioship contender (outside of a cinderella-type run) next year or possible the year after, then it changes how one might look at next year... I do not believe one has to blow it up, unless you somehow get a near-superstar in return.  There is a logic in staying the course next year... it might not be exciting, but that doens't mean it isn't correct.

This is a terrific post. Very well thought out and I agree. I just don't see the value of throwing Pierce and Garnett under the Bus, for a run at Al Jefferson.  or Josh Smith when the following year has a much better class of free agents.

Not to mention the young players we have brought in are developing because a locker room ran by the likes of Pierce and KG is a lockerroom where everyone is expected to work hard and pay attention to detail. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Fungus34 will be posting here with one of his many backup monikers!

I know you don't like him. and I disagree with him from time to time as well, but he is a knowledagble fan. I like reading what both he and Ram have to say. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

well...as you cna see form the current roster that Ainge will still need to make a couple moves.

we have a GLUT of 2 guards on the roster and at least ONE have to be moved.

Lee or Terry for a solid BU Center makes the most sense...maybe in a sign and trade.

Dalembert (not to beat a dead horse might be an option at Milwaukee) or JJ Hickson could be possible options in sign and trades.

we also need a legit backup for Rondo at the point. so either trying to move Crawford for someone  (CJ Watson-Bkl?)there could work OR a minor FA signing....B. Udrih?

BPA at #16.....Saric, Gobert,Plumlee, Green, Dieng...a couple of those guys should be there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

This is the best post I have seen regarding this offseason and I agree with all of your points. As for a backup PG, I really like Terrance Williams. Especially if you bring him of the bench with PP and KG then all he has to do is facilitate and let those guys score. Is it really plausable to think we can get a better backup than him?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

the one last run was two years ago.

You mean 2 years ago when we went down in 5 in rd 2 or ONE year ago when we went down in 7 in the ECF?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This is a great post and the blueprint we should look at

Chicago with Rose is instantly the best team in the East after Miami

Atlanta will take a fall

NY, Brookyln, Indy and Boston will all be in a fight for spots 3-6 that injuries, chemistry, coaching and whatever they can add via the draft, MLE and trades do

obviously boston drops into a fight for picks 7-8 or maybe the lotto w/o Pierce or KG, but assuming KG retires... what do we get for Pierce? That return could re-make this young team equally scary as they just were when you factor in Rondo and Sully returning

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

With KG, Sully, Pierce, Bradley, and Rondo as starters and Jeff Green and Terry coming off the bench, the Celts were just 21-23 after 44 games. The Celts ended up with a 41-40 record at the end of the season.

There is no silver bullet. If KG and Pierce return, no free-agent/s, Celts will basically have the same team from last season and will only fight for the 8th seed. And if KG and Pierce are gone, the Celts will be a lotto team.

The advantages of not having KG and Pierce are speeding up the rebuilding process and the Celtics are sure they won't pay repeater tax.

Although that is mostly true (Bradley was injured for the first 30 some games so he wasnt a starter) everyone who watched the celtics this year knows Jeff Green didn't come into his own until after rondo and sully went down. I refuse to believe that "keeping the band" together will result in the 8th spot, I see them competing for 3-6. Also, no way is a team with Rondo, Bradley, and Green a lotto team. Maybe in the west, but not in the East I see them as a team fighting for the 7-8 seed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Richard1965. Show Richard1965's posts

I think if you read into DA's comments regarding KG you might get an insight into what might be the fate of PP as far as the Celts are concerned....

With Rivers back, the Celtics can now begin formulating their roster for next season. Ainge said he has not talked with Kevin Garnett, who will turn 37 on Sunday and is considering retirement.

"I don't think I have the answers that Kevin will want," Ainge said. "So I gotta figure there's a lot to do (before we talk) and I think there's a lot of questions in Kevin's mind as there is every year, to determine whether he's coming back. I'm not ready to answer everything that he will want to know."

The "answers" that DA is refering to might possibly mean that he is breaking up the band via anmesty or trades.  No word on PP in that statement at all.  I think DA wants KG back, but PP is definitely up for consideration.  DA might be looking to move up and draft Cody Zeller who is projected as a top 10 pick as evidenced by him interviewing Mr. Zeller recently.  I really think PP days as a Celtic are at and end folks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I'm beginning to think Ainge is going to stay the course. I think they believe had Rondo and Sully not gone down and not have to acclimate 8 new guys to a system they would've been a 3-4 seed.

Add a few pieces here or there. If the the band comes back, I think they at least have to consider moving Lee and Bass in a S&T for JJ Redick. We NEED a shooter so we aren't just relying on Terry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Since the goal is banner 18, as soon as is practicable, the question is what does Danny do? He is strongly hinting that it's over for this lineup of the band, so I guess he thinks the rebuild time is here, and it's seems, as noted above, Paul is the odd man out. If they keep the band togehter, as other's have noted that creates continuity, mentoring, leadership, etc. Lots on Danny's plate. I want to keep the band together, but only if KG and Paul agree to transition to 6th man/25 mins per game roles in 2013-14 AND agree to come back in 2014-2015 at vet min contracts so Danny can use the $25M that would be freed up to get a max player in that year. So, in essence, I'm outlining a 2-year plan to win banner 18. In 2013-2014, the team would have to adress one or both of its glaring needs (rebounding and tall shooting guard who can shoot); and then in 2014-2015 with a max player adress the other. This year they could add Blatche fairly cheap, and package Bass and Crawford for Millsap...front line needs adressed. Splitter and Hickson are unrestricted so similar trades could work for them instead of Millsap. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The current team, even with RR and Sullinger back, is not getting out of the 1st round let alone the east.  Take one on the chin and rebuild. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

We get rid of the current team and we will sure enought "take one on the chin".   It could be one of those 20 year drop offs again.   Just look at these standings at all the teams that have been and continue to build thru the draft.  Some have been there forever.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings