What do you think is fair to extend Rondo at?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What do you think is fair to extend Rondo at?

I look at three other contracts;

1. Chauncey Billips - 4 years 46 million in 2007 (ages 31-34)

2. Baron Davis - 5 years 65 million in 2008 (ages 29-33)

Rondo will be 29 like Davis. He has had a similar career to these two PG's with the one title (not an MVP though) and two appearances like Billups. Take into account inflation, with a cap that will be around 68 million in 2015 instead of the 58 million it was in 2010 and you should increase those contracts by 15%

So a 5 year 75 million deal is perfectly reasonable for Rondo. 

3. Kyle Lowry just signed for 4 years 48 million.

He is the SAME age as Rondo. Over the last 4 seasons he has played in 267 games, averaged a low of 11.6ppg and a high of 17.9ppg, a low of 6.4apg and a high of 7.4apg with an average PER of 18. Rondo has played in 189 games, averaged a low of 10.6ppg and a high of 13.7ppg and a low of 9.8apg and a high of 11.7apg with an average PER of 17. 

No way Rondo deserves more than 5/75 when Lowry just took 4/48.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: What do you think is fair to extend Rondo at?

Rondo wants the Deron Williams and Chris Paul 5/100 deals.

Well those guys had FAR more regular season statistical success than Rondo before signing those deals.

Williams max deal is now being mocked as one of the worst in the game.

Paul is 'earning' that money despite it being a crippling amount to his teams cap and their ability to add more talent. They have one other superstar they were lucky enough to draft #1 and can't get past the 2nd rd of the playoffs. 

The most I would pay Rondo is just above the 5 year 80 million max extension John Wall just signed. Now that is Wall's max, starting in his age 23 season (like the 5/55 Rondo signed in 2009) it is 25-30% lower than Rondo's max could be set at.

But I don't pay Rondo a dime more than 5/85 and that needs to be with him regaining all-star status and dropping a Wall/Lowry like 15-17 points, a few less assists (8-9) and shooting percentages above 33% from 3 and 75% from the line. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

I think he should get in the range of 10-12 million a year. He is a good player, but not a great one. He is a top 15 PG, no more, no less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Depends what Bledsoe gets.  If he gets 5/80, Rondo will want at least that.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A frontloaded 5/82.5 contract that pays him 19.5 million in 2015-16, then 18-16.5-15-13.5 the last 4 years, with a limited no-trade clause the first 4 years of the contract (he can pick say 15-20 teams he will not accept a trade to) would be a reasonable compromise for both sides. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Depends what Bledsoe gets.  If he gets 5/80, Rondo will want at least that.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

[/QUOTE]

The fact that Bledsoe wants the same as Wall is ridiculous.

Wall is an all-star who averaged 17.7 points and 8.3 assists over the first 4 years of his career, compared to Bledsoe's 8.7 and 3.4. Walle just took his team on a spirited playoff run, while Bledsoe did have career high in points and assists (17.7/5.5) it was for a lotto team. 

Point to his being CP3's backup all you want. When Lowry gets 4/48 for slightly better #'s (and playoff performances) then Bledsoe deserves maybe the Baron Davis 5/65. That is like the 5/55 Rondo signed in 2009 when inflation is taken into account. Maxing players like him, Monroe and Hayward is setting a bad precedent even with a rising cap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

As a big rondo fan, even I have to admit it may be time to move on from rondo. Considering the amount of money  he is about to get signed for prob 15mill per 4/60-5/75? type deal. He has been on downward trend the LAST 4 SEASONS:

He has avgd only  47 games, his WS   has decreased every season since his peak 08-09, his shooting TS% have never reached the heights of his peak 08-09  season as well. 

Like most players after 4 seasons you pretty much become the type of player you are going to be. Guys usually dont make big jumps after year 5. Rondo hit his peaks in years 3 and 4 when he posted impressive 9.9 and 9.1 (for comparison russel westbrook has only had 1 season where he had posted higher ws) anything around 10ws is a very good player (cp3 who is considered by many the best pg has a CAREER avg ws is 12.3) .

THAT RONDO is worth max type money, but the rondo over the last 4 SEASONS not so much. He has a ws avg of just under 4 (3.95) compared to his prior 3 seasons before that of 8.9. So he is essentially resposnsible for HALF as many wins as he used to be.  The part I find disturbing is the TS% he avgd 53.4% for 3 seasons after his rookie season since then to about 49%. So he is actually been a worse shooter than his earlier years.  His steal % rate has decreased every year since his peak 4 season as well. 

When you  consider that rondo is coming off a torn acl, he is about to turn 29 (prob 2-3 season of prime left) and the money you will have to commit long term, it doesnt seem like a good decision, especially for a team that is no where ready to compete.

The main thing this illustrates, is even if rondo gets back to "rondo of a couple season ago" that still wouldnt be sufficient, statistically, he had been on a decline the past 2 season BEFORE his injury. We would need to get the rondo of 5 season ago to justify that type of deal. I dont think that is a reasonable expectation. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I look at three other contracts;

1. Chauncey Billips - 4 years 46 million in 2007 (ages 31-34)

2. Baron Davis - 5 years 65 million in 2008 (ages 29-33)

Rondo will be 29 like Davis. He has had a similar career to these two PG's with the one title (not an MVP though) and two appearances like Billups. Take into account inflation, with a cap that will be around 68 million in 2015 instead of the 58 million it was in 2010 and you should increase those contracts by 15%

So a 5 year 75 million deal is perfectly reasonable for Rondo. 

3. Kyle Lowry just signed for 4 years 48 million.

He is the SAME age as Rondo. Over the last 4 seasons he has played in 267 games, averaged a low of 11.6ppg and a high of 17.9ppg, a low of 6.4apg and a high of 7.4apg with an average PER of 18. Rondo has played in 189 games, averaged a low of 10.6ppg and a high of 13.7ppg and a low of 9.8apg and a high of 11.7apg with an average PER of 17. 

No way Rondo deserves more than 5/75 when Lowry just took 4/48.

[/QUOTE]

Over the past two seasons, the Celtics have won 44% of their games w/o Rondo and only 35% of their games w/ Rondo.

Historically we have played better w/o him... but more so the past two seasons, pre and post ACL injury.

So why would we even want to consider extending  Rondo?

To make us worse?

We have MSmart in the wings who will play at a fraction of Rondo's salary... and he is likely the future of the franchise... at 3-4 mil/year. 

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

[QUOTE]

Well those guys had FAR more regular season statistical success than Rondo before signing those deals.

Paul is 'earning' that money despite it being a crippling amount to his teams cap and their ability to add more talent. They have one other superstar they were lucky enough to draft #1 and can't get past the 2nd rd of the playoffs. 

The most I would pay Rondo is just above the 5 year 80 million max extension John Wall just signed. Now that is Wall's max, starting in his age 23 season (like the 5/55 Rondo signed in 2009) it is 25-30% lower than Rondo's max could be set at.

But I don't pay Rondo a dime more than 5/85 and that needs to be with him regaining all-star status and dropping a Wall/Lowry like 15-17 points, a few less assists (8-9) and shooting percentages above 33% from 3 and 75% from the line. 

[/QUOTE]

5/85 sounds fair to me. Don't understand the "needs to score more, assist less" point tho. Both acts result in points being on the board, I don't get why it matters how he gets it done. People are so obsessed with high scorers these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

5 years and 75 million for a guy who can barely shoot over 60% on free throws, shoots 25% on 3's and stinks?  are you kidding me?  let someone else make that mistake.  IF you were going to keep rondo, since NOBODY has shown any serious interest in him, i'd sign him to an incentive laden contract starting at 8 million and if he shoots 70% free throws then add 2 million.  if he shoots 75% free throws with a certain bogey that he has to take at least 3 a game, while averaging over 15 points then add another 4 million.  pay him how he plays.  right now he plays 7-8 million dollar ball.  that's it.

his game has DETERIORATED markedly since he started crafting his game around FARMING pierce, KG and ray for assists with the reverse system of SSOL.  rondo's system is called run the shot clock out pounding the ball to at least 7 seconds, maybe 5 seconds then pass it to someone else to shoot so he won't have to take any open outside shots.  pathetic.

a contending team could hide a bimbo like rondo a lot better than a bad team.  but let's face it- he's unappealing on all fronts- he's no longer the exciting penetrating disruptor that he used to be.  he's a ball control freak.  he started shooting a little more coming off his injury with horrid results.  he had a whole year to blast up thousands of set shots and free throws and came back no better than before.  that tells you how many shots he actually took during rehab.  not many.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5 years and 75 million for a guy who can barely shoot over 60% on free throws, shoots 25% on 3's and stinks?  are you kidding me?  let someone else make that mistake.  IF you were going to keep rondo, since NOBODY has shown any serious interest in him, i'd sign him to an incentive laden contract starting at 8 million and if he shoots 70% free throws then add 2 million.  if he shoots 75% free throws with a certain bogey that he has to take at least 3 a game, while averaging over 15 points then add another 4 million.  pay him how he plays.  right now he plays 7-8 million dollar ball.  that's it.

his game has DETERIORATED markedly since he started crafting his game around FARMING pierce, KG and ray for assists with the reverse system of SSOL.  rondo's system is called run the shot clock out pounding the ball to at least 7 seconds, maybe 5 seconds then pass it to someone else to shoot so he won't have to take any open outside shots.  pathetic.

a contending team could hide a bimbo like rondo a lot better than a bad team.  but let's face it- he's unappealing on all fronts- he's no longer the exciting penetrating disruptor that he used to be.  he's a ball control freak.  he started shooting a little more coming off his injury with horrid results.  he had a whole year to blast up thousands of set shots and free throws and came back no better than before.  that tells you how many shots he actually took during rehab.  not many.

[/QUOTE]

lol you are such a joke. You would pay him an extra 2 million dollars for shooting free throws well? You should be a gm of a team.

You are one of those guys that looks at one thing and one thing only on a boxscore sheet: Point Total. You have no actual feel for how the game is played, otherwise you would understand that the basketball IQ Rondo displays alone is worth that lowball offer you think he is worth. How many point guards in the league distribute the ball like Rondo? My guess is zero. Who in the league gets players easier shots than Rondo gets his teammates over, and over, and over. How many point guards in the league run down in the paint and jump with guys 8-9 inches taller to secure rebounds? Not many. How many point guards in the league up their play in the playoffs, against better competition, when everything matters just a little bit more? How many point guards step up for their teams and guard Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant in crucial situations? All of them right?

Yes, Rondo is just another average guy. Everyone does what he does. That's why his name is in trade rumors every other day, bc no one wants him. That's why Kobe, Melo, Lebron and DWade, stars in this league, have raved about him. That's why his teammates, PP, Shaq, Keyon Dooling, Avery Bradley, Sullinger, J Terry, have raved about him. That's why KG called him the leader of the team 3 years ago. Because he is useless. bc he is worthless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Rondo's not worth more than 5 years at $60M TOPS.  What ever he wants, will be too much for Danny too.  Risky big contracts have crippled and stymied teams for years.  Not worth the risk, especially for somebody as flawed and unpredictable as Rondo.  And if its true that Rondo prevents many FAs from signing with Boston, then I don't even try to sign him for a ham sandwich.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think he should get in the range of 10-12 million a year. He is a good player, but not a great one. He is a top 15 PG, no more, no less.

[/QUOTE]

C'mon healthy he is way higher than top 15. You are not even being realistic. The guy is in the top five healthy. The guy won two NBA finals games singlehanded in 2010.  This board needs to understand his flaws as a person and look at him as the dynamic unique player he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Rondo top 8 if healthy and top 15 right now at his position.  I don't hate Rondo but his run here is over he wont be here between now and February

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

At this point I'd trade Rondo to Phoenix for a S&T of both Bledsoe ($55MM/5yrs) and Okafor (balance of MLE for 2 yrs with TO for 3rd yr) ... If Okafor gets back to 90% of his old self he'll be a steal and a tradable piece as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

It doesn't matter what we think is fair to extend Rondo.

Rondo's camp already said Rondo will be asking for the max allowable.

Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are not even All-Star players and they got the max allowable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what we think is fair to extend Rondo.

Rondo's camp already said Rondo will be asking for the max allowable.

Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are not even All-Star players and they got the max allowable.

[/QUOTE]

Stop spouting this same ignorance as a reason Rondo will ask for the max.

SF Gordon Hayward getting his 5 years 62 million 'max' has next to NOTHING to do with Rondo asking for his 5 years 105 million max.

It is simple. I have stated it several times. Rondo wants Deron Williams and Chris Paul money while Danny is offering more than Billups/Lowry and around Baron Davis/John Wall money.

If Rondo is not happy with 5 years 75-85 million then goodbye.

It has nothing to do with Parsons/Hayward. Wall or Bledsoe even getting their 'max' will have little to do with Rondo b/c Danny would probably give him the same contract those two younger PG's got. If Rondo is dead set on his 100+ he should be dealt. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

Stop spouting this same ignorance as a reason Rondo will ask for the max.

SF Gordon Hayward getting his 5 years 62 million 'max' has next to NOTHING to do with Rondo asking for his 5 years 105 million max.

It is simple. I have stated it several times. Rondo wants Deron Williams and Chris Paul money while Danny is offering more than Billups/Lowry and around Baron Davis/John Wall money.

If Rondo is not happy with 5 years 75-85 million then goodbye.

It has nothing to do with Parsons/Hayward. Wall or Bledsoe even getting their 'max' will have little to do with Rondo b/c Danny would probably give him the same contract those two younger PG's got. If Rondo is dead set on his 100+ he should be dealt. 

[/QUOTE]

You can't even get the facts right.

Gordon got a 4-year contract, not 5.

I've already proven to you that if I lose a bet I will honor the bet.

Wanna bet about Rondo getting the max?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

Posting some "apology page" saying you were wrong is far different from accepting a summer of self banishment from posting and one bet that you renegged on. Oh yeah, you were "flushed out." What a lame excuse to break a bet. If this were Vegas you wouldn't be keying right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Posting some "apology page" saying you were wrong is far different from accepting a summer of self banishment from posting and one bet that you renegged on. Oh yeah, you were "flushed out." What a lame excuse to break a bet. If this were Vegas you wouldn't be keying right now.

[/QUOTE]

I never made any "apology page".

My bet with rame was to make a thread admitting to being wrong about Hump not being signed and traded.

Also, it's fact that M8 flushed me out.

People here were already thinking I was ricky and it was no use staying off because people already thought ricky and Fierce were one and the same.

Anyway, for all we know M8 could be buried somewhere in Vegas desert right now.

I mean M8 just disappeared and he didn't come back.

If it's a last man standing match, Fierce is still standing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

You aren't standing.

You're rolling in it!

Hahaha!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Fierce is still standing??

After 90% of the board is on the record as wanting him gone and the mods BANNED him multiple times?

His presence here is more a testament to a sad and pathetic personality disorder than someone 'still standing' I'd laugh if he wasn't so pitiful and pathetic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

Fierce is still standing??

After 90% of the board is on the record as wanting him gone and the mods BANNED him multiple times?

His presence here is more a testament to a sad and pathetic personality disorder than someone 'still standing' I'd laugh if he wasn't so pitiful and pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

You keep telling everybody that I'm a bully.

Look at what you're doing to me.

You won't even sleep just so you can have the last word.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5/85 sounds fair to me. Don't understand the "needs to score more, assist less" point tho. Both acts result in points being on the board, I don't get why it matters how he gets it done. People are so obsessed with high scorers these days.

[/QUOTE]

Many times a game teams back off Rondo and clog the lane daring him to shoot. If he drives he gets fouled and can't make his free throws. Now it appears he's scared of getting hurt when he drives to the hoop so he doesn't do that as much either. It's 4 vs 5 ball. 

I do believe he will play much better this year than last if healthy though. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I think it's entirely fair to EXTEND HIM A FREE ONE WAY FLIGHT OUT OF TOWN....