What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?

One of the saddest sights in sports is watching a once great player collapse.  It can happen  from age  --  injuries  --  loss of drive and desire to compete.  It taints their careers. 

Seeing a guy like Shaq, one of the best Centers of all time, playing for chump change because he can't quit.  Sad to see a guy who gives it all he's got, and gets a series of injuries that ends his season. Or watching a player who won't quit because of the "big" money.

How much money is enough?  Is $50,000,000  --  $100,000,000 enough, or do you bleed it for the last dime?  How much is your dignity worth?  Or is it for sale like everything else?

I just watched the 4th quater of our last game against the Heat.  It was SAD.  I saw Shaq sitting in a suit, because he couldn't play when it counted.  Jermaine falling apart with injuries.  Paul Pierce looking like a befuddled rookie, who didn't understand the game.  Kevin Garnett being embarrassed by the speed and energy of his foes.  This from a guy who was the Iron Man.

I erased the tape.  I can't look at it again.  It hurts to much.  Not the loss of a game, and a series, but the loss of Greatness.  I can remember Shaq, Jermaine, Paul and Kevin, when they were tough as nails.  Had the skills that put them at the top of their profession.  How the mighty have fallen.

Please guys watch the film.  See how terrible you looked.  Or does your mind make excuses for what you see?

The mighty buck has cost you your dignity.  Heck of a price to pay. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?

Its not about money. These guys are warriors and they love to compete.

They would likely play from nothing in amateur leagues if that was their only option.

The sad reality is that Father Time is catching up with them... as it surely catches up with all of us.

Pride??? they have plenty of it.

Dignity??? Plenty of that too.

And how about you, CaptC?

You think they make too much money or don't earn their $$$?

Criticize team owners, then.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dont understand what you're trying to say.

That players like PP & KG shouldnt be playing because they're too old,  ineffective and lack pride & dignity? If that's your point, you're way out of line imo..

They didnt collapse.They played hard and were well above the average NBA player the entire season. In fact they were all on the all star team.

Just because the Heat knocked us out of the playoffs, they've become old and useless lol. Ridiculous imo.

and what would you suggest Shaq to do?? Imagine getting paid millions to play a sport you love...To work out and stay in shape.. To be adored by your hometown fans.. They all played at a high level when not injured and showed me alot of fight and heart...  they just happened to lose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Shaq was being paid a "welfare" type of salary for someone of his talent.  He could have signed with another team for a lot more money and chose to sign with the Celtics for a chance of winning a championship.  He didn't anticipate getting injured and not being able to return.  If Shaq was healthy for the entire season, we might still be playing.  No guarantees that we could have beat Miami, but with a healthy Shaq we would have had a better chance of winning this series. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?:
    Its not about money. These guys are warriors and they love to compete. They would likely play from nothing in amateur leagues if that was their only option . The sad reality is that Father Time is catching up with them... as it surely catches up with all of us. Pride??? they have plenty of it. Dignity??? Plenty of that too. And how about you, CaptC? You think they make too much money or don't earn their $$$? Criticize team owners, then. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Pud, I think this is the 1st time I've read one of your posts and agreed with it 1000%.  Very well said.  I agree, this is ALL about pride.  The game has already taken care of these guys financially.  And I for one felt a sense of pride, albeit bittersweet, to see our guys fight as they did after a year filled with adversity. Again, Pud, excellent post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

CaptChris, what are you smoking, man?   This group we have fought and fought and fought every season.  They never gave up, even when underdogs and injured.  They may not have won, but they never just "gave up".

Teams lose. It happens.  In fact, only one team really wins in the end.  So, I guess the Lakers should watch their tapes and then quit the game.  Same for an Antonio?  Same for Dallas when they got swept last year by the Spurs?  Same for the Knicks this year?  Carmelo and Staudamire got beat by a Pierce and Allen so they better just hang it up for looking so terrible.  Billups got hurt - he has no darned pride....he should just give it up and retire, right?

Come on, Man.   Its just basketball - everyone loses and looks bad sometimes.  Our C's are likely one of the top 5 teams in the league and the team they lost to just might be NBA champions!  That doesn't make us a team of no "dignity" just because they lost.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?:
    One of the saddest sights in sports is watching a once great player collapse.  It can happen  from age  --  injuries  --  loss of drive and desire to compete.  It taints their careers.  Seeing a guy like Shaq, one of the best Centers of all time, playing for chump change because he can't quit.  Sad to see a guy who gives it all he's got, and gets a series of injuries that ends his season. Or watching a player who won't quit because of the "big" money. How much money is enough?  Is $50,000,000  --  $100,000,000 enough, or do you bleed it for the last dime?  How much is your dignity worth?  Or is it for sale like everything else? I just watched the 4th quater of our last game against the Heat.  It was SAD.  I saw Shaq sitting in a suit, because he couldn't play when it counted.  Jermaine falling apart with injuries.  Paul Pierce looking like a befuddled rookie, who didn't understand the game.  Kevin Garnett being embarrassed by the speed and energy of his foes.  This from a guy who was the Iron Man. I erased the tape.  I can't look at it again.  It hurts to much.  Not the loss of a game, and a series, but the loss of Greatness.  I can remember Shaq, Jermaine, Paul and Kevin, when they were tough as nails.  Had the skills that put them at the top of their profession.  How the mighty have fallen. Please guys watch the film.  See how terrible you looked.  Or does your mind make excuses for what you see? The mighty buck has cost you your dignity.  Heck of a price to pay.   
    Posted by CaptChris
    WHAT is up with your last sentence? cost them their dignity? pp had a bad game and minus game 3, a bad series. you want to try covering and chasing lebron for 30+ minutes a game at age 34 while carrying a team on your back offensively? look, the big 3 are old. rondo is young. if he can transform himself as d-rose did during this past off-season, he could be the difference. he's still peaking athletically and skillwise. big 3 ARE NOT! you telling me if d-rose who pick any 8 guys from his or our team to go to war with, he would not pick atleast 6 out of the 8 from our team? same with the heat, lakers and others. dont put our team in the cemetery yet. we just have to make some tweaks. if shaq comes back and can give us 10-15 high quality minutes in the playoffs next year, we are still a force. if jeff green is a starter and plays as he did at okc from the 3 (in position, as opposed to the 4 in okc), and pp can accept coming off the bench, we will be a force to reckon with. same with kg. is what he is. we need to draft or sign an athletic scoring backup to spell him. bb has to go or just be limited to center against unathletic centers. the stat of celtic basketball is still GOOOOOD! who is the unbeatable elite team out there? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

think before you post..
    do you actually think shaq needs any money at all?
    NO
    if he needed money he would have signed with atlanta or any other team for 5 or 6 mill...
    he is obviously playing for other reasons...shaq is one of the highest paid superstars of his time and doesnt need money at all...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Pride? Or is just about the Money?:
    Its not about money. These guys are warriors and they love to compete. They would likely play from nothing in amateur leagues if that was their only option . The sad reality is that Father Time is catching up with them... as it surely catches up with all of us. Pride??? they have plenty of it. Dignity??? Plenty of that too. And how about you, CaptC? You think they make too much money or don't earn their $$$? Criticize team owners, then. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Let us all stop using the words warriors and courage.... none of these guys are warriors and none of them have courage.....  they play a sport for a living... I would want none of them in my fox hole and playing a sport against a bunch of guys just like themselves does not take any courage.........

Sections
Shortcuts