What happened to the NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

What happened to the NBA

Wow, what happened to the NBA? The defense is horrid and the offense is putrid. Halftime scores barely making it into the 30's. And that is not from steller defense. Final scores barely making it into the 70s. The C's can't by a rebound and the Lakers are realizing they have only one aging scorer to compete with in the West. Also, the Heat are playing better without Wade. Yes, without WADE.  Mediocre players getting fat contracts. Basic basketball skills are almost non-existent.  Where has all the good talent gone. The heart and the passion. What happened to playing for the love of the game and competing night in and night out. What happened to the NBA?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Re: What happened to the NBA

In Response to What happened to the NBA:
    Wow, what happened to the NBA? The defense is horrid and the offense is putrid. Halftime scores barely making it into the 30's. And that is not from steller defense. Final scores barely making it into the 70s. The C's can't by a rebound and the Lakers are realizing they have only one aging scorer to compete with in the West. Also, the Heat are playing better without Wade. Yes, without WADE.  Mediocre players getting fat contracts. Basic basketball skills are almost non-existent.  Where has all the good talent gone. The heart and the passion. What happened to playing for the love of the game and competing night in and night out. What happened to the NBA?
    Posted by antiqueman1

Short preseason has a lot to do with it. Perhaps the extra long layoff resulted in Players showing up in something less than their normal condition. Points per game down this year to 94.3 points from last years 99.6. Same thing happened during the strike year of 1998-99 when the points per game dropped from 95.6 in 1997-98 to 91.6 in 1998-99. It rebounded to 97.5 in 1999-2000.

Seems  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

3 pointer, zone defense, college coaches, and guys playing well into their 30's. With the zones guys like Kobe basically jog from wing to wing to shoot or defend. No wonder guys play so long.

It's always been a copycat league with everyone following the leader. It's all pick and pop, a two man game.

I keep hoping someone will figure out it's better to beat the other team down the floor and avoid facing those zones. Unfortunately, it seems to be happening in Miami and not Boston. Running just isn't an option when your team is in their mid 30's.

Too bad. We've got the perfect guard for it and not a single player who can run with him. Give Rondo some guys who can scoot and he'd make that slow CP3, that everyone loves so much, look like Sammy Davis waking up with a hangover. It should be happening here but the 3 year window turned into 5 and we've still got the stiffs here killing us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to the NBA:
    3 pointer, zone defense, college coaches, and guys playing well into their 30's. With the zones guys like Kobe basically jog from wing to wing to shoot or defend. No wonder guys play so long. It's always been a copycat league with everyone following the leader. It's all pick and pop, a two man game. I keep hoping someone will figure out it's better to beat the other team down the floor and avoid facing those zones. Unfortunately, it seems to be happening in Miami and not Boston. Running just isn't an option when your team is in their mid 30's. Too bad. We've got the perfect guard for it and not a single player who can run with him. Give Rondo some guys who can scoot and he'd make that slow CP3, that everyone loves so much, look like Sammy Davis waking up with a hangover. It should be happening here but the 3 year window turned into 5 and we've still got the stiffs here killing us.
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost

Ah yeh,run and gun.Worked great for the 60's Celts but only because they were far and away the best defensive team in the league. As a matter of fact it was their defense that was most responsible for all the championships in the 60's.  But now the whole league is into the defensive side of play with its many defensive sets.  For many years now the 1960's style of basketball with its 2 passes and than a 16 foot jumper, has been nothing more than a memory. They tried it briefly in the early 80's when Denver gave it a shot and I'm sure you know how that fared. Fun style for both players and fans but a disaster in the standings.

Seems  

Seems 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

I'm starting to really dislike this league. It seems the players have completely taken control of the league, and as a result we are seeing these players who are now bigger then the game, CP3, Lebron, Dwight, who demand to play with other stars that are bigger then the game. Just the mentality of these players is crap. You just don't see this in the other leagues on this big of a scale.

As far as the Celtics, they are crappy this year because just about everyone but the big four is really just a rent a player. I don't know what the crap happened to this team, Ainge had a good solid young bench with the big 3 the past couple of years, then he decides to deystroy the bench completely leaving the old guys with no support. Now he is going to end up trading the big 3 to get some foundation going again, and we are left without stars once more. So the team has taken huge leaps backwards. BTW, there are really no young players on this team that are going to be any good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I don't agree....I think Johnson & Moore, with four years of college under their belt, have great upside...they are good athletes and good basketball players...I also love Bass....Pietrus is very skilled...and Bradley, who doesn't have a position yet, is a skilled defensive player...anyone old enough to remember a young KC Jones (who couldn't shoot a lick) knows what I'm saying....I also love "Steamer" as a backup center...sure beats the hell our of what Greg Kite brought to the table...again....that's just my opinion....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

It is not even good defenses really. It is more lack of good offenses. Both sides stink. There is no love for the game anymore. It is all about contract and selling products. I am 41 and I could run better than most out there. It is a shame. The NBA just does not cut it anymore. The talent is drying up faster than it can be replaced. That is the reason the old hang around. Well Ainge needs to do something for the future of this team because it surely does not lay with Pierce, Allen, KG, and JO. It is a shame they lost a few yrs ago to the Lakers. That would had really been great for the BIG 3. It might be time to move on I guess......

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have to agree that the college game is better and it's not even close.....the NBA used to be a top tier sport.....not so nowadays....so many of my buddies grew up with me watching teams like the Celtics, Sixers, Lakers, Knicks, etc....somewhere along the line (early '90's?) the game changed....now most of these same old friends don't even watch the games...and they are still die hard sports fans, traveling all over the country to watch MLB, NFL, Nascar, etc.....maybe the game is for the young fans who don't have a history with this league....all they know is one and done college players and talented athletes who (in their opinion) put on a good show with the dunks and three point shots...oh well, times change....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

I have to agree that the college game is better and it's not even close.....the NBA used to be a top tier sport.....not so nowadays....so many of my buddies grew up with me watching teams like the Celtics, Sixers, Lakers, Knicks, etc....somewhere along the line (early '90's?) the game changed....now most of these same old friends don't even watch the games...and they are still die hard sports fans, traveling all over the country to watch MLB, NFL, Nascar, etc.....maybe the game is for the young fans who don't have a history with this league....all they know is one and done college players and talented athletes who (in their opinion) put on a good show with the dunks and three point shots...oh well, times change....
    Posted by Duke4

There is no doubt that a lot of Old timers prefer the game of the generation that they grew up in. Its all part of the Good Old Days syndrome. It follows that many of them would be of the opinion that the game does not have the appeal that it once had. Sure the game has changed significantly over the years. Ditto for Baseball and Football. But then, think of how life in general has changed in the last 50-60 years. My Grandparents lived with me for several years when I was in my late teens and early 20's. Thats when I first learned about the Good Old Days of their youth. Absolutely nothing wrong with this fondness for the past. If however, you like others regarding the subject matter of this post, are suggesting that the teams of the older generations were better than the modern teams, I would be happy to discuss the matter in detail.
    Seems

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

OK, we've already been through that topic my friend....as you know, my opinion is that today's athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster...but the brand of basketball they play is inferior.....the "Good Old Days" syndrome is very much a real thing and I get that...but why do all the friends in my age group still love the NFL and MLB (without the steroids and PED's, of course) while totally being down on the NBA?...we all love NCAA basketball.....also Nascar and Formula One, the PGA and LPGA, men's and women's tennis...I guess the only sport we aren't interested in would be heavyweight boxing (that sport is almost dead)....I am not an MMA guy at all...but give me the other divisions in boxing and I'm still interested...again, there is no right or wrong...these are, after all, just personal opinions...to each his own....Peace!

p.s.  ....looking forward to the NFL doubleheader this afternoon...

B

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I have canceled my NBA league pass. This product is garbage, especially the C's. I'll still watch the occasional game when I can and will watch the painful playoff exit if we make it. $180 was simply too much to cough up this year. Barring a miracle it looks like we may have some really weak years ahead!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I have a theory on why older folks like the old NBA but I won't go there.  Its just wrong.

It is what it is.   Enjoy it or stop watching and posting!

The NBA athlete is faster and stronger than ever.  David Stern has changed the rules to be allow more players to do things that speed up the game.  Coaches have changed to make their teams better because to "dare to be different" in plays is to dare to simply lose.  Those old plays don't work with faster, stronger players and the new NBA rules (no hand checking, flagrant fouls instead of hard fouls, etc).  So, its a different game and it is what it is.  

The NFL is a different game than the old game and so is the MLB.  So why don't you stop liking them?  

Worldwide, NBA basketball is in every other generation but the older one, a more popular sport than most others.   Basketball is now more International than Football and arguably more internationally popular than baseball, as well.   All of that is attributable to the NBA and its visibility.  Baseball, Hockey, nor Tennis have had the impact on the Olympics than the Dream Team did, for example.   

So, the "I don't like the current NBA" is a sentiment limited to a group of people in my generation (I'm not one of them, but I'm almost 60 and I remember the old NBA - it wasn't better, just different).  This sentiment is not as widely held among young people who actually think today's game is so much better (they actually think Lebron and Kobe are the greatest ever).  More Jersey sales, more teams, more playoff teams, etc.  The game is as popular as ever.  

I love the NBA and I'm an old guy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

I have a theory on why older folks like the old NBA but I won't go there.  Its just wrong. It is what it is.   Enjoy it or stop watching and posting! The NBA athlete is faster and stronger than ever.  David Stern has changed the rules to be allow more players to do things that speed up the game.  Coaches have changed to make their teams better because to "dare to be different" in plays is to dare to simply lose.  Those old plays don't work with faster, stronger players and the new NBA rules (no hand checking, flagrant fouls instead of hard fouls, etc).  So, its a different game and it is what it is.   The NFL is a different game than the old game and so is the MLB.  So why don't you stop liking them?   Worldwide, NBA basketball is in every other generation but the older one, a more popular sport than most others.   Basketball is now more International than Football and arguably more internationally popular than baseball, as well.   All of that is attributable to the NBA and its visibility.  Baseball, Hockey, nor Tennis have had the impact on the Olympics than the Dream Team did, for example.    So, the "I don't like the current NBA" is a sentiment limited to a group of people in my generation (I'm not one of them, but I'm almost 60 and I remember the old NBA - it wasn't better, just different).  This sentiment is not as widely held among young people who actually think today's game is so much better (they actually think Lebron and Kobe are the greatest ever).  More Jersey sales, more teams, more playoff teams, etc.  The game is as popular as ever.   I love the NBA and I'm an old guy!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Wow!!! and all this time I thought that I was the only old timer that was able to shed the good old days syndrome. Started out with the Celts in 1950 as a 18 year old and I have been with them all the way for 61 years. Just as much love for the nba now as when I was cheering on Cuz, Easy Ed and the others back in the early 50's.
    Seems

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

SeemsToMe, my dad loved the old Celts and I grew up loving Russell and his truly amazing feats (most intelligent player I've ever seen).  Over the years, I've cheered Cuz, Tommy, Nelson, Bailey Howell, KC and Sam, Satch, Hondo, Jo Jo, Cowens, Tiny, Wedman, Danny Ainge, DJ, Bird, Mchale, Parish, Pierce, Antoine, KG, and Ray Ray.  Every era produces more thrills.  I'll love the next group of greats, as well. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I have canceled my NBA league pass. This product is garbage, especially the C's. I'll still watch the occasional game when I can and will watch the painful playoff exit if we make it. $180 was simply too much to cough up this year. Barring a miracle it looks like we may have some really weak years ahead!
    Posted by jam757

Can I still cancel mine?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I have a theory on why older folks like the old NBA but I won't go there.  Its just wrong. It is what it is.   Enjoy it or stop watching and posting! The NBA athlete is faster and stronger than ever.  David Stern has changed the rules to be allow more players to do things that speed up the game.  Coaches have changed to make their teams better because to "dare to be different" in plays is to dare to simply lose.  Those old plays don't work with faster, stronger players and the new NBA rules (no hand checking, flagrant fouls instead of hard fouls, etc).  So, its a different game and it is what it is.   The NFL is a different game than the old game and so is the MLB.  So why don't you stop liking them?   Worldwide, NBA basketball is in every other generation but the older one, a more popular sport than most others.   Basketball is now more International than Football and arguably more internationally popular than baseball, as well.   All of that is attributable to the NBA and its visibility.  Baseball, Hockey, nor Tennis have had the impact on the Olympics than the Dream Team did, for example.    So, the "I don't like the current NBA" is a sentiment limited to a group of people in my generation (I'm not one of them, but I'm almost 60 and I remember the old NBA - it wasn't better, just different).  This sentiment is not as widely held among young people who actually think today's game is so much better (they actually think Lebron and Kobe are the greatest ever).  More Jersey sales, more teams, more playoff teams, etc.  The game is as popular as ever.   I love the NBA and I'm an old guy!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I still would think MJ would be the best player in the league today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

And I would say Russelll and it's not close. But, clearly everyone has their favorites and I respect other people's opinions. There's no way to objectively measure. Main point is that us older guys can love every era of basketball, not just " the good old days".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

And I would say Russelll and it's not close. But, clearly everyone has their favorites and I respect other people's opinions. There's no way to objectively measure. Main point is that us older guys can love every era of basketball, not just " the good old days".
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

For me its Jordan. But does it really matter? The most remarable part is that I've seen them all- for free. God bless the TV set.
    Seems

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Posted by Celtsfan4life

That why this is a discussion forum Csfan. I can respect your opinion. But I don't have to agree. This current era of NBA basketball is not nearly of the same quality. Sorrry the older NBA was by far better with more overall talent, skill, and a willingness(desire to win). It was more fun to watch. Today's game is about selling out or selling a product. Athletes care more for their fat contracts. And I am not so sure how the NBA athlete is stronger and faster comment equates to better basketball. And just because we voice our dislike for the current NBA product does not mean we can't voice our opinions on it in here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

antiqueman1
     Of course you have the right to voice your opinion on this board. Thats what makes this board so interesting. But I find it to be more meaningfull when the Poster is able to support his point of view with at least a little factual documentation. With that in mind, I wonder what you can offer to support your below statement.

Sorrry the older NBA was by far better with more overall talent, skill, and a willingness(desire to win

Seems

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bostons shot 42% from the field and 15% from the three point arc....and won by 31 points...?  .....that must've been one awful basketball game to pay to see.....

143 total shots taken in the game?...that's less than 3 shots per minute of play....slowdown/isolation basketball is not very exciting if you ask me....if not for the three point shot Orlando scores 52 points...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Bostons shot 42% from the field and 15% from the three point arc....and won by 31 points...?  .....that must've been one awful basketball game to pay to see..... 143 total shots taken in the game?...that's less than 3 shots per minute of play....slowdown/isolation basketball is not very exciting if you ask me....if not for the three point shot Orlando scores 52 points...
    Posted by Duke4

Sure was a stinker Duke, but I hope that your not using that game as representative of the play in the current nba.
    Seems

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

antiqueman1  Of course you have the right to voice your opinion on this board. Thats what makes this board so interesting. But I find it to be more meaningfull when the Poster is able to support his point of view with at least a little factual documentation. With that in mind, I wonder what you can offer to support your below statement. Sorrry the older NBA was by far better with more overall talent, skill, and a willingness(desire to win    Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe

I don't use fact stats Seems. I just go off my personal feelings. I grew up watching Bird and Magic and that entire group. They got at it day in and day out. They seemed to play because they loved the game, not play for the contract. The competition. The hatred. And that talent could score, play D, rebound and were more fun to watch than this era of NBA.
    I am tired of hearing about Lebron James is the best basketball player. I hope they simply mean in today's game. And even then, I disagree. But no way James could touch players like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and the like. Sorry, it is just how I feel. Today's NBA is all about contracts. Ganging up to win a title rather than making others on your team better. The older NBA did that. They made everyone else better players. Today's stars don't do that in my opinion.

Sections
Shortcuts