What Happens Now

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: What Happens Now

Add 1st round draft choices to Rondo, Sully, Oly and Fav... trust that Ainge is one of if not the best talent scout in the NBA and the picks will be early in the draft.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

What happens now.

We draft Embiid and sign Hayward.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

I doubt any GMs will trade with us to move up in the draft. The teams that are tanking this season are tanking for a reason. They want a top 5 pick.  The only way we get a trade to move up would be trade a first from this year with the Nets 2016 pick. 

As as for moving down to pick, I don't see that either. Danny will pick the best player available and go from there. If a team directly behind us wants that pick then maybe he might deal. 

As as for resigning AB. Guess that depends on how injury free he is the rest of this season and how much he wants. If we draft a top SG prospect I see him being allowed to leave and we move on.  In previous years you'd want to get something for him but, with salary cap structures the way they are now it may be better to let him go, continue Tankapalooza 2, keep salaries low, and shoot for free agents the following year. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to chris33's comment:

What happens now.

We draft Embiid and sign Hayward.

I tried to tell him this ....

I suggest we go after stephenson instead of hayward. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I want Doug McDermott with one of our picks. This guy will be a great scorer in the NBA and would fit perfectly in Stevens system. He passes the eye test..this kids got game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Nothing can be determined until our slot in the draft is and we know if the coveted players are all leaving school.

If they all come out then there are literally 3 options for 3 draft positions:

#1 - Embiid

#2 or #3 - Wiggins or Parker, Ainge gets one of them, if he is picking 2nd he can hope to have them agree to workout against each other. I'd pay to see that. Ainge probably trades Jeff Green in this scenario and waits to see them on the court with Rondo before deciding if they move on from RR at the deadline or extend him at an overpay.

#4-#11 - At pick 4 or 5 Ainge could make a mini-trade down a few spots if someone really wants Vonleh or Randle since we have Sully/Oly. I don't see them sliding farther than number 11. Ainge would likely go big PG or raw SF here and besides Smart none are really ready to start right away so Ainge could keep Rondo and Green in this range.

Rame, remember in 2001 when Jordan had Tyson Chandler workout against Kwame Brown when the Wizards had the #1 pick that year? Kwame supposedly owned Chandler during that entire workout, though their careers didn't exactly work out that way. Just saying....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

Nothing can be determined until our slot in the draft is and we know if the coveted players are all leaving school.

If they all come out then there are literally 3 options for 3 draft positions:

#1 - Embiid

#2 or #3 - Wiggins or Parker, Ainge gets one of them, if he is picking 2nd he can hope to have them agree to workout against each other. I'd pay to see that. Ainge probably trades Jeff Green in this scenario and waits to see them on the court with Rondo before deciding if they move on from RR at the deadline or extend him at an overpay.

#4-#11 - At pick 4 or 5 Ainge could make a mini-trade down a few spots if someone really wants Vonleh or Randle since we have Sully/Oly. I don't see them sliding farther than number 11. Ainge would likely go big PG or raw SF here and besides Smart none are really ready to start right away so Ainge could keep Rondo and Green in this range.

Rame, remember in 2001 when Jordan had Tyson Chandler workout against Kwame Brown when the Wizards had the #1 pick that year? Kwame supposedly owned Chandler during that entire workout, though their careers didn't exactly work out that way. Just saying....

Ha! Awesome point. Wiggins could totally own Parker in an inspired workout after hating how he was hyped over him in H.S. and then quickly thrown under the bus this year as a freshman while everyone raved about Parker.

Then Parker will be the next Pierce/Melo and Wiggins the next Rudy Gay.

Funny I was just writing about Brown in another thread. A 'what if' as far as had the Lakers made a fair trade for Gasol (at the time) then Kwame is in the '08 finals rotation vs. us over Turiaf, Bynum is a Grizzly and the Marc and Pau Gasol brothers got to go on tour together for several long playoff runs.

Agreed. That's how I think it would go down as well. One of Parkers weeknesses is his ability to get his shot off against longer and more athletic defenders. So i think one on one, Wiggins might kick his butt. But i think Parker will have the better career. Specially once he developes a fade-away jumper to negate those long/athletic types. Ala Paul Pierce.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

Ainge couldn't care less about next season. He's got his eye on the 2014 draft class and the 2015 free agent class. that's where future champions will be made.

Who do you think the lakers will take with their pick, Tommy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

What now?

"Draft Embiid and sign Hayward"

Its laughable how you say it like its  just a case of making the decision. If only it was that simple. Obv any team that gets into the coveted top 3 is most def not trading out of those slots. This team is bad but we  wont be top 3 bad, most likely 5-8 range. And in the 5-8 slots im not really high on any of these guys, Is marcus smart really going to be great player in this league and at what position? He  has a FG 40% and 42% and 3pt28% and29% his first 2 seasons. Last thing this team needs is less permiter shooting. Gordon is very raw offensively, Exum is an unknown.  Randle plays a position we are already strong at. Vonleh has potential but is not ready yet.  To me parker is the only cant miss, even embiid who is somehow getting these hakeem comparisons which is just absurd to me is not a sure thing to be the next great center (he is not better than anthony davis).Wiggins seems to have a little jeff green in him, very talented athlete who dissapears at times.

Most likely da will just take the best player available like he always does and have a stockpile of young talent and hope to flip in a big deal later on.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Here's hoping Embiid stays in school another year......

If not, we aren't getting him.

He will go #1 - bank on it.

PHI will take either Wiggins or Parker........

ORL?  They need a PG, so Smart (?)   (I don't want him, btw)

I think that LAL will draft Exum.....just a hunch.

So.....we don't "need" Randle, do we take him anyway?

Nope, I think it then comes down to Vonleh, Ennis, Harris or WCS...although I like Hood.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Danny won't carry two rookies on the team next year ... he'll combine picks to move up as close to the top as he can to get Embiid.

Then a trade using the $10MM TPE and he's added two more building blocks. There's no assurance or "absolute" that Bradley is kept at any price and he's likely to be in the same boat as Bass.

The braintrust is enamored with Hump, Hump likes playing here and the fans respect him. Look for him to be resigned at a resonable price to mentor the yutes at PF/C unless Danny gets a trade offer he can't refuse. Hump will not leave on his own. He either stays or assists in a S&T that benefits the C's and himself as Rame has already said.

Guess you haven't learned your lesson, huh?

Maybe it's really true that you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

1. Ainge will combine picks to get closer to Embiid?

Your talking as if every NBA team is in the business of helping the Celtics win championships.

Why would teams want to help out the Celtics become contenders again?

2. Celts already have Sully and Oly at PF.

None of those two are real Centers.

So why would the Celts re-sign a 29-year old 6-9 PF?

Hump would only eat up minutes that are supposed to be for Oly and Sully.

Mployee

I told you that you don't need Chad Ford, legionreport, or hoopshabit.

Just listen to me!

HAHAHA

Spencer Hawes and Evan Turner Celtic players yet?

HAHAHA

==================================

Mployee Re:  Danny won't carry two rookies on the team next year ... he'll combine picks to move up as close to the top as he can to get Embiid.

I agree that getting Embiid should be a major goal because we have not had a Banger/double digit scorer/rebounder Center for years. Perkins was a Banger & good defender and Garnett was truly a PF.

With Sully & Oly(hope he develops as Fav Melo did not) and Embiid we could have the best front court since the Bird, McHale & Parrish days.  

I copy and paste the following and ask what does “Lottery Protected” mean. Does it mean if Philly in 1st 5 worst records, we get their pick ?

2014 1st round: Boston, Brooklyn, Philadelphia (lottery protected)
    2015 1st round: Boston, LA Clippers, Philadelphia (lottery protected)
    2016 1st round: Boston, Brooklyn 
    2017 1st round: Boston
    2018 1st round: Boston, Brooklyn  

I tried to Google & find the %s of ping pong ball chances for the 1st 5 teams. I have read that the 1st team(one with worst record has a 25% chance of #1 pick). If the next 4 teams on a declining % basis get to make picks, don’t you think Embiid will go in first 5 picks ??? If we end up 6th or 7th I guess we then have our choice of picks whichever players remain. Are you suggesting we trade our 2014 first round picks and maybe 1 or 2 from 2015-2018 picks to get in the top 5 ping pong gamble. We’ve been unlucky before…if we had gotten Tim Duncan, we might have won #18, 19 & 20 already. Don’t you think it’s best to keep 2-3-4 first round picks and if not in the first 5 lottery, to pick from the next best 25 players depending upon where we are 6-30 in the 1st round.   Anyway, I don’t know what’s best.  Any opinions ?  Thanks !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think Ainge is going to be wheeling and dealing in the offseason. I don't believe we go into next season with a few drafts picks and the guys under contract now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, job well done explaining the "basic" cap situation for the Celtics this offseason.

However, can you go a bit further and address possible other ways the Celtics can be buyers in this offseason?

You have not touched on the endless possibilities of the "sign and trade" option with guys like AB, Hump and Hayward.

I mean, isn't it possible that the Celtics can get someone like Hayward.  Hayward does a sign with Utah and is traded to Boston for Green and Bass, for example.

Isn't it possible the Celtics can sign Hump and then trade him for Asik ($8 million cap hit next season)?  Same for AB - sign him and then trade him to bring in a smaller contract.

You are very thorough in your analysis but you don't address the other possibilites that are less constraining on and allow more flexibility to the Celtics this offseason.

Your thoughts!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Fierce, job well done explaining the "basic" cap situation for the Celtics this offseason.

However, can you go a bit further and address possible other ways the Celtics can be buyers in this offseason?

You have not touched on the endless possibilities of the "sign and trade" option with guys like AB, Hump and Hayward.

I mean, isn't it possible that the Celtics can get someone like Hayward.  Hayward does a sign with Utah and is traded to Boston for Green and Bass, for example.

Isn't it possible the Celtics can sign Hump and then trade him for Asik ($8 million cap hit next season)?  Same for AB - sign him and then trade him to bring in a smaller contract.

You are very thorough in your analysis but you don't address the other possibilites that are less constraining on and allow more flexibility to the Celtics this offseason.

Your thoughts!

Asik and/or Hayward are not long term answers for championship, they might be nice pieces but dumping assets and becoming another fringe playoff team is not the answer.  I don't know what Ainge will do, but becoming a buyer before the second year of rebuilding process seems too soon.

Ideally, we first try to build from the drafts and have a good team for the long haul.  When that does not work, you see an opportunity with something like KG deal, then you try to take it.  It all comes down to  that one or two really special players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Scubber, I totally agree.  However, I believe Asik at center and Hayward at the SG are better complimentary pieces long term than Bass and Hump at PF, Green at SF and AB at SG.

I just think we should never stop "better positioning" ourselves so when we make that bigger FA acquisition or deaft pick we'll be closer to getting where we want to be.

We just can't go into next season like BirdLewsBias said with drafted rookies, a couple vet minimum pickups and the players on the roster today.  We can't do that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Then getting Asik and Hayward should generally mean a playoff team in the Eastern conference next season and it should also mean that we resign Rondo at the max and no salary cap for any foreseeabe future.  Is that the right path and the least resistive path to the championship?  If so, why did we gave Lee away, why did we not trade Hump and most likely get salary cap relief instead of picking up more long term salary.  And with the open statement that Rondo could be had for 2 first rounders,  I think Ainge is pretty clear where he is going next season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

We will, hopefully, get a little worse before we get better. If we don't get top 5 this year then Ainge will need to go to full tank more next year. Don't be surprised to see both Humpy and AB walk away. I'd be surprised if Joel Anthony opts out to rest the market though. 

Sections
Shortcuts