What Happens Now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Re: What Happens Now

I think Ainge is going to be wheeling and dealing in the offseason. I don't believe we go into next season with a few drafts picks and the guys under contract now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, job well done explaining the "basic" cap situation for the Celtics this offseason.

However, can you go a bit further and address possible other ways the Celtics can be buyers in this offseason?

You have not touched on the endless possibilities of the "sign and trade" option with guys like AB, Hump and Hayward.

I mean, isn't it possible that the Celtics can get someone like Hayward.  Hayward does a sign with Utah and is traded to Boston for Green and Bass, for example.

Isn't it possible the Celtics can sign Hump and then trade him for Asik ($8 million cap hit next season)?  Same for AB - sign him and then trade him to bring in a smaller contract.

You are very thorough in your analysis but you don't address the other possibilites that are less constraining on and allow more flexibility to the Celtics this offseason.

Your thoughts!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fierce, job well done explaining the "basic" cap situation for the Celtics this offseason.

However, can you go a bit further and address possible other ways the Celtics can be buyers in this offseason?

You have not touched on the endless possibilities of the "sign and trade" option with guys like AB, Hump and Hayward.

I mean, isn't it possible that the Celtics can get someone like Hayward.  Hayward does a sign with Utah and is traded to Boston for Green and Bass, for example.

Isn't it possible the Celtics can sign Hump and then trade him for Asik ($8 million cap hit next season)?  Same for AB - sign him and then trade him to bring in a smaller contract.

You are very thorough in your analysis but you don't address the other possibilites that are less constraining on and allow more flexibility to the Celtics this offseason.

Your thoughts!

[/QUOTE]

Asik and/or Hayward are not long term answers for championship, they might be nice pieces but dumping assets and becoming another fringe playoff team is not the answer.  I don't know what Ainge will do, but becoming a buyer before the second year of rebuilding process seems too soon.

Ideally, we first try to build from the drafts and have a good team for the long haul.  When that does not work, you see an opportunity with something like KG deal, then you try to take it.  It all comes down to  that one or two really special players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Scubber, I totally agree.  However, I believe Asik at center and Hayward at the SG are better complimentary pieces long term than Bass and Hump at PF, Green at SF and AB at SG.

I just think we should never stop "better positioning" ourselves so when we make that bigger FA acquisition or deaft pick we'll be closer to getting where we want to be.

We just can't go into next season like BirdLewsBias said with drafted rookies, a couple vet minimum pickups and the players on the roster today.  We can't do that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Then getting Asik and Hayward should generally mean a playoff team in the Eastern conference next season and it should also mean that we resign Rondo at the max and no salary cap for any foreseeabe future.  Is that the right path and the least resistive path to the championship?  If so, why did we gave Lee away, why did we not trade Hump and most likely get salary cap relief instead of picking up more long term salary.  And with the open statement that Rondo could be had for 2 first rounders,  I think Ainge is pretty clear where he is going next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

We will, hopefully, get a little worse before we get better. If we don't get top 5 this year then Ainge will need to go to full tank more next year. Don't be surprised to see both Humpy and AB walk away. I'd be surprised if Joel Anthony opts out to rest the market though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to chris33's comment:

[QUOTE]

What happens now.

We draft Embiid and sign Hayward.

[/QUOTE]

Drafting Embiid is possible.

But signing Hayward is close to impossible because Ainge was not able to dump the contracts of Bass and Wallace.

My first post on this thread clearly explained how the Celts don't have cap space to sign free-agents.

[/QUOTE]

sign and trades are possible, even likely. i highly doubt the team we end this season with will be remarkably similar to the one we start next season with.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about:

Pick 7 - Marcus Smart

Draft day: Hayward has rejected Jazz final offer of 4/44 million. Stevens tells Ainge *wink wink* he'll take 4/40 to play here. Celtics trade Bass and the Nets pick in the 18-21 range for Hayward. QO is 4.68, Bass makes 6.95, about 150% more. If that doesn't work C's can take back Jeremy Evans as well, 1 year 1.8m.

Trade #1 - Early July, Humphries signed at 3 years 27 million (more than any of the teams sniffing around him a few days into free agency were offering), Joel Anthony (2/4) and two of the four picks the C's have in '15/'16 with appropriate lotto protection of course.

C - Greg Monroe (34 mins), Olynyk (14 mins)

PF - Sully (34 mins), Oly (6 mins), Green (8 mins) 

SF - Green (24 mins) Gordon Hayward (16 mins), Wallace (8 mins)

SG - Avery (26 mins), Hayward (16 mins), Smart (6 mins)

PG - Rondo (34 mins), Smart (14 mins)

Nifty 9 man rotation where the 24 year old Hayward is a 6th man of the year candidate and Smart (20) and Olynyk (24) could start for many teams but are not pressured to become great right away playing the same # of minutes as their ages. Wallace comes in for 6-10 mins of old man ball energy, hard fouls and to show potential trade suitors he could still end something to the end of a contender's rotation.

Pressey, Johnson and maybe Jeremy Evans make up the 12 man rotation.

[/QUOTE]

if we end up with hayward, he ain't coming off the bench.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What happens now.

[/QUOTE]

But signing Hayward is close to impossible because Ainge was not able to dump the contracts of Bass and Wallace.

My first post on this thread clearly explained how the Celts don't have cap space to sign free-agents.

[/QUOTE]

sign and trades are possible, even likely. i highly doubt the team we end this season with will be remarkably similar to the one we start next season with.

[/QUOTE]

My thinking it is more unlikely instead of likely.  Sign and trade means we have to take something back, but what can we get back for Hump?  1st round pick?  I don't think so.  More so-so players with salary?  Why do we want to do that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

more like we acquire a player like hayward (or whoever you like) by trading guys like bradley/green/hump/bass.

What happens now.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My thinking it is more unlikely instead of likely.  Sign and trade means we have to take something back, but what can we get back for Hump?  1st round pick?  I don't think so.  More so-so players with salary?  Why do we want to do that?

[/QUOTE]

more like we acquire a player like hayward (or whoever you like) by trading guys like bradley/green/hump/bass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to scubber's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What happens now.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking.  Why would Utah or whoever gives us a perfectly good players for our rejects?  They might take our 1st round picks but then that could turn out very bad for us.  As hard as it is to accept it, I think we are getting worse next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Scubber, "taking something back" is the main reason to do a sign-and-trade.  They're not done knowing you have to "take something back"!  It's so that you "can get something back" rather than letting a player just walk without getting anything in return.  If Hump was a bum I'm sure the Celtics would let him walk and not worry about getting something back in return.

I don't think DA would do a sign and trade with Hump this offseason just to get back a so-so player if he didn't do it at this trade deadline.

Right now, the Celltics need upgrades at SG and C and if we could upgrade there with a sign and trade of Hump (or a package with Hump) during the offseason, why wouldn't we examine that?

I'm certain that had that opportunity presented itself by Thursday's trade deadline (trade of Hump's expiring for a SG or C), DA would have jumped at it but it obviously did not present itself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scubber, "taking something back" is the main reason to do a sign-and-trade.  They're not done knowing you have to "take something back"!  It's so that you "can get something back" rather than letting a player just walk without getting anything in return.  If Hump was a bum I'm sure the Celtics would let him walk and not worry about getting something back in return.

I don't think DA would do a sign and trade with Hump this offseason just to get back a so-so player if he didn't do it at this trade deadline.

Right now, the Celltics need upgrades at SG and C and if we could upgrade there with a sign and trade of Hump (or a package with Hump) during the offseason, why wouldn't we examine that?

I'm certain that had that opportunity presented itself by Thursday's trade deadline (trade of Hump's expiring for a SG or C), DA would have jumped at it but it obviously did not present itself.

[/QUOTE]

Sure it could happen, but I am saying it is unlikely.  Hump is not that great of a player.  He could help someone if he comes cheap, but no one is going to loose a top flight SG or C for him at a cost of 10+M a year.  Or Utah can just sign him with their cap money.  I am sure there are other backup PF for MLE that can be had, maybe even Hump himself will go for the MLE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Wouldn't Utah keep/resign Favors and Kanter rather than sign or trade for Humpy?  They have cap space so they'd sign him outright.  If Hayward is as good as people say wouldn't they want to keep him? 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

again, hayward is nothing special.

can we sign and trade a player along with another player? if we can, then I'll go with this...

sign and trade ab together with bass for stephenson and scola(keep him or find a 3rd team)

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.