What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Re: What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game

In Response to Re: What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game:
    In Response to Re: What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game : i learned that this is our rotation we should get use to it and any players at the end of the bench aren't ready, if they were they would be in the game.
    Posted by GreenaboveGold

I love your logic (or lack thereof). That's like George Bush justifying the Iraq war by saying we wouldn't be here if there weren't weapons of mass destruction. Circular logic---gotta love it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Come on, acie, in the 2 games we saw, Bass is clearly better than Glen Davis.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I agree with you and believe that Bass will be a much better player than Glen Davis.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Well, I dont feel so great that we once again were getting killed and somehow managed to keep it close at the end but still lost. We're 0-2 and theres nothing good about being 0-2.

Regarding Bass, just have to see him play more. Hes a great finisher underneath, something that nobody else on the team can do... nor BBD. Thats really good to see Bass throwing it down hard and not having 2-3 attempts getting swatted.. Hes got a nice jumper too.

.. but the Heat were running a layup drill last night and I must admit, it was so fast I couldnt even see who was to blame.. I know KG got smoked on a few... KG is just soft and it not a factor in the post on either side of the court. Hes a pure finesse player and Celtic fans gotta stop expecting something different from him.

Jury still out on the Bass/BBD trade imo..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i've seen bass dunk. never saw baby dunk anything but a donut. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

i learned that brandong bass had all of his peripheral vision surgically removed at some point.  he also doesn't pass the ball worth a squat when he's covered by blanket defense.  but people keep saying he's so much better than davis.  :-O i also learned that KG can no longer rebound and the "answer" to the center problem appears to be a 2-3 zone in which KG will get no defensive boards and the opponent will mercilessly attack bass' side of the zone because when that kid turns his head, it never turns back. kg's decline is dramatic.  we'd be better off having jerlame o'neal declared dead and trying to actually get a #5 than trying to masquerade the softer than melted cheese old KG as a 5 in a zone defense.  disastrous is what that will be. i also learned that today was keyon dooling's birthday.  while our zone was a surprise to miami today, it will not be a suprirse to any more teams from here on out.  they will figure out a way around it.  crashing the boards because manute garnette blows away in the wind will be one of the primary ways to beat our zone, and also attacking bass' side and then passing to cutters on the weak side. mostly, what i learned today is that we figured out how to make it look like we lost by 10 or less when we really lost by 35.
    Posted by aciemvp

You must not have learned much. Maybe you should watch it again.. Baby was known as the black hole much of last year. Do you have any idea how many shots BB had blocked last year?  Bass also blocks twice as many shots as baby does. Of course baby has at least twice as many of his own shots blocked though

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game:
    Miami is overrated, Boston is underrated. Heat's win against the mvs was more about Dallas being worse than last year then Miami being that much better. Boston will not just be a playoff team, they have a legitimate chance of winning lebron still can execute in the clutch, the zone defense exposed their flaws, in the playoofs norris Cole will not be the one with the ball in his hands. we wold have won this gam with a healthy pierce in the line up we gotta be more aggressivegoing to the basket and getting to the stripe take care of turnovers play smart defense, there wasway too many fouls
    Posted by GreenaboveGold

Agree mostly. Miami is overated. Not so sure Boston is underated. Lebron is still the same and will fold during clutch time. Wade is still dirty. And Bosch is still a third wheel, more like a fourth now with Cole on the team. The C's no doubt need Pierce on the floor. But I give the Cs a ton of credit in both losses for never ever quitting. TURNOVERS, a must if the Cs want to win games. And still too much favoritism in the NBA by the refs. Sorry, its true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: What i learned from the Heat-Celtics game : isn't it time for another 4 month spa run for jermange o'neal?  i think if you put a cadaver on roller skates and pushed it up and down the floor it would get done about what jermane did tonight
    Posted by aciemvp

LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

BTW he's playing KG too much

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Honestly, KG not being tough on D is going to be their downfall this year.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Acie has a good point.

We miss Davis. People forget what he did for us because of the way he finished last season.

Bass is a better shooter, hits the glass, and has the legs to run with Rondo. I like him. He can play but has his limitations.

But don't dis Baby. Baby was the only one who ran last year, got offensive rebounds, and took charges. He also could play center on defense and was on the floor at crunch time. He screwed up his back that time he hung on rim and came down awkwardly. Missed some time and never really got it back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I learned that we have to change our frontcourt.  KG, JON and Sasha are no longer NBA starters at the PF, C and SF positions.

Pierce and Pietrus will address the SF spot upon their return.

KG has transformed into a very good backup PF/C.  He no longer has the effect defensively that he once possessed.  He's become too slow and cannot defend any longer.  He no longer provides the type of contribution needed, for this team, from the starting PF spot.  What he gives us as a starter, Brandon Bass is giving us more as a backup. I'd much rather see Bass play 38 starter minutes at the PF spot rather than 32 in a backup role.  KG playing the C spot with Bass at PF gives us nothing more but a center who can shoot a 15 foot jumpshot.  It doesn't give us any more interior toughness and energy so I'd much rather see KG stay at PF.

As for JON, he is just done.  He brings nothing to the table.  I think his ship has sailed.  Sometimes you don't even realize he's on the court.  He contributes NOTHING consistently.  Doc has got to put Stiemsma in to see if he can grab 5 rebounds and block 2 shots.  If he can get some garbage baskets (put backs, dunks off Rondo drives, etc.), I'd much rather see him playing.

We just need more activity and energy from our starting front court and that will result in better production (points, rebounds, blocks).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Johnny,
    Be real, Bass will have far more offensive rebounds than BBD.  He will dunk them back in as well unlike Baby.  This is game 2 after no pre-season we know nothing yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

bass is better then baby, and its not close...but anyways yes i would like to see more daniels and less pavlovic if possible, pavlovic doesnt know how to get his own shot, daniels has the ability to drive to the hoop and either score or draw a foul..hopefully pierce will grow a pair and play sometime this week

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

What I learned is greenabovegold is delusional. Wake up and smell the roses sunshine, Boston stunk. Ugh.
    Posted by null

and this is coming from a trollwhose team lost to the kings and has nothing to do but invade other team's forum

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Glen Davis was the biggest ball hog on the team last year.  You will all remember my "Big Baby makes me crazy" thread!!  That idiotic, spinning fade away from the baseline?  YUCK!! Talk about bad shots, no peripheral vision......I'm quite sure the difference is Bass is being encouraged to shoot, while Davis was told NOT to shoot, but did anyway!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

i agree on Garnett Petey, We all thought David West would have been backing up Garnett two weeks ago but Ainge and Doc probably saw the importance of that trade as more of a necessity at the PF spot.  We'll have to see how West holds up with the knee over the next couple seasons but it seems like that was the trade that got away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think we have to start thinking about our team identity.  We are no longer the defensive rock we once were.  In losing the defensive presence brought by Tony Allen, Perk and now KG, we need to re-define our identity.

It pains me to see KG's diminished skills, struggling to execute that once-patented back-to-the-basket, left-right-left double fake post up move.  All he does now is shoot jump shots save the occasional easy interior basket.  He's totally abandoned working hard down low for a basket.

But as a backup, I think the Celtics could maximize his production with about 15-18 minutes per game (3 five or six minute stretches).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

True, they aren't what they've been identity wise.  Maybe I'm being naive but I'm interested to see what they become.  They've shown composure and sincerity so far.  we'll see what their style and over all character of play turns into.  

But I don't know how they're going to address other teams going aggressively to the basket for free.  The zone was helpful last night at times but they're going to have to switch it up a little more.  Rondo switching to Lebron when he was across court baseline looking for the pass was effective. But that's only as effective as it is. Maybe some more situational one on one switches mixed in with zone switches.  Just throwing different looks at teams throughout the course of a game with the purpose of not letting an opposing offense get comfortable or familiar with itself.  I don't know....   

Sections
Shortcuts