What I would do - trade the picks, build around Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

What I would do - trade the picks, build around Rondo

After some more thought, I've decided that if nba2k had a GM mode and I could play Danny, I would let the year play out for as long as possible without Rondo so that the role players can continue to step up and get better while our record gets worse. At the trade deadline I would try to make some moves.

In a perfect world (and what I predict may happen), the first step would be Portland having a dissapoiting season where their playoff hopes aren't realized and they're still in that 9-10 range in the west. Aldridge continues to leak that he's not happy in Portland. Its clear that Lillard and McCollum are their future backcourt but will need a few more years to continue developing. Portland decides to deal Aldridge. 

Ultimately, I would love to end up with:

Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green, Olynyk, Aldridge, Faverani

And I'm willing to give up any combination of: Crawford, Lee, Bass, Brooks, Bogans (exp), Humphries (exp), Celtics 2014 1st. Nets 2-14 1st, Clippers 2015 1st, Celtics 2015 1st, Nets 2016 1st

Would you give pull the trigger on a insta-rebuild, even if it meant dealing a top5 pick?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Re: What I would do - trade the picks, build around Rondo

In response to R9R's comment:

After some more thought, I've decided that if nba2k had a GM mode and I could play Danny, I would let the year play out for as long as possible without Rondo so that the role players can continue to step up and get better while our record gets worse. At the trade deadline I would try to make some moves.

In a perfect world (and what I predict may happen), the first step would be Portland having a dissapoiting season where their playoff hopes aren't realized and they're still in that 9-10 range in the west. Aldridge continues to leak that he's not happy in Portland. Its clear that Lillard and McCollum are their future backcourt but will need a few more years to continue developing. Portland decides to deal Aldridge. 

Ultimately, I would love to end up with:

Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green, Olynyk, Aldridge, Faverani

And I'm willing to give up any combination of: Crawford, Lee, Bass, Brooks, Bogans (exp), Humphries (exp), Celtics 2014 1st. Nets 2-14 1st, Clippers 2015 1st, Celtics 2015 1st, Nets 2016 1st

Would you give pull the trigger on a insta-rebuild, even if it meant dealing a top5 pick?

Your business will not prosper if you invest that way....if your horse cannot pull (carry) a wagon in Oregon how can your horse pull (carry) a wagon in Boston?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

ageed. How do we usually do in the draft anyway?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

And to think we came oh so close to re-building around Brevin Knight instead.

OUCH!!!

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Boston isn't giving up our 2014 first pick.  Not no way. Not no how.

Any of the first 6 players are potentially bigger impact players than Aldridge with a much more favorable rookie contracts and 8 years younger.  

This is a 3 year rebuild, not a blow all your picks and money for a short term solution on one disgruntled player... who forces us to play 2 stretch PFs instead of adding a true center, which is what we actually need.   

That said, I like LaMarcus a lot, despite his prima donna fued with management and recent concerns about his knee.  And assuming Sully and Oly are untouchable given their cheap long term contracts and potential, we don't have ANY players Portland would be interested in. They have Lillard so don't need Rondo.  The rest of our riff-raff players may be useful as backups to contenders, but not starters, even on the Blazers.  If LaMarcus is traded, it won't be to the Celtics.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

> Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green, Olynyk, Aldridge, Faverani

This is our team for the long haul after giving up all those picks and players?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Just like the book from good to great.  We don't want to be just good right away.  We want to be bad now to be great later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

A few years back (can't recall the exact date) the Celtics were faced with a decision on the last day of the regular season. If they won the last game against a cupcake opponent, they made the 8th seed. If they lost the game, they would be in the lottery. They played hard and won the game and stated afterward that to have tanked the game would not be Celtics basketball.  I hope Rondo can be back soon but I do not want him to rush himself and risk further injury. I get the feeing that this combination of players, with Rondo leading the fast-break, could run many teams out of the gym (how many centers could stay with Faverani down the court?). If this is the case, let's go for the 7th or 8th seed. I do not care if we play only 3 or 4 playoff games -- 8th is better than 9th and 7th is better than 8th! If we miss the lottery it would be a shame but who can guarantee that any of these franchise draft picks won't become the next LaRue Martin? Who can guarantee that any of them won't (heaven forbid) sustain a career ending injury during March madness?

We should build to be great in the future but true Celtic players, coaches and fans never significantly alter the level of success in the current season for possible success in the future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

To all those who think Boston won't give up their 2014 first round pick ... one question.

Did you ever see that movie where in 2008 the Celtics traded away thier #5 pick along with a bunch of young prospect players to build around their one allstar?

Oh yeah, that was real life.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

My thought is just that Danny has said he isn't really that high on this draft. So there's like a 95% chance he's blowing smoke, because its Ainge, but I think Danny is smart enough to deal the pick for a known quantity rather than roll the dice on a big.

But obviously, just like in '08 if you get the top3 and its a franchise altering player, you keep it. Like in '08 he may have kept Durant and dealt Pierce. 

OR

Unless he's thinking, shoot, we totally would have taken Oden... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Any of the first 6 players are potentially bigger impact players than Aldridge with a much more favorable rookie contracts and 8 years younger.  

This is a 3 year rebuild, not a blow all your picks and money for a short term solution on one disgruntled player... who forces us to play 2 stretch PFs instead of adding a true center, which is what we actually need.   

That said, I like LaMarcus a lot, despite his prima donna fued with management and recent concerns about his knee.  And assuming Sully and Oly are untouchable given their cheap long term contracts and potential, we don't have ANY players Portland would be interested in. They have Lillard so don't need Rondo.  The rest of our riff-raff players may be useful as backups to contenders, but not starters, even on the Blazers.  If LaMarcus is traded, it won't be to the Celtics.

Listen, I think Aldridge can be had in a Ray Allen type deal. Give them out first round pick. You can't have your cake and eat it too! Love Sully, but we don't need him, KO and Aldridge. KO & LA would be the more interesting duo

Sully, Humpries, 2014 first round pick is enough to get Aldridge IMO if we are in the bottom 10 teams this year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Listen, I think Aldridge can be had in a Ray Allen type deal. Give them out first round pick. You can't have your cake and eat it too! Love Sully, but we don't need him, KO and Aldridge. KO & LA would be the more interesting duo

Sully, Humpries, 2014 first round pick is enough to get Aldridge IMO if we are in the bottom 10 teams this year

As long as the Cs hold on to Rondo, you would give away the store to get Aldridge.

Very short sighted.

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

As long as the Cs hold on to Rondo, you would give away the store to get Aldridge.

Very short sighted.

Pud

Agreed.  It would only make sense if Rondo was traded for Aldridge which would be fine.  Because we pick up a future PG star in Smart or Exum in the draft and upgrade both positions... but trading away our picks or Sully or Oly is just, as you say...politely... short sighted.  

Aldridge has $46M sal ratio with one year left.  Then what?  Sully and Oly have $5M Sal ratio with 3 and 4 years left.  Also, if we keep Rondo, I take Embiid in the draft and let him develop with the team rather than take a 30 year old who will be ready to help at maximum contract when he is 33-34...       

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[/QUOTE]

No no no 

you guys couldn't be more wrong (IMO). Do you not realize who wins championships? Its guys in their prime, not rookies. Lebron is the best thing since sliced bread, and it took him how many years? How many teams? Irving is probably the best up & comming PG ... and how many playoffs games has been in? Chris Paul?

Rondo is in his prime. Aldridge is in his prime. You don't trade one for the other. You dont hold on to your top 10 pick and expect that player to become an allstar within two years.

My Point Is This: We have one piece of a contender in Rondo and a lot of good role players and a lot of good draft picks. You either build a team around Rondo by making moves this year, this offseason OR you trade Rondo and the role players who are in their prime (Green, Lee, Bass, Humphries) for more picks & prospects and build through the draft.

If you build through the draft, you keep this 2014 pick and hope that is the first building block of a contender in 5 years. FIVE YEARS. You also hope that at least one of: KO, Sully or AB develop into an allstar over the nexy 3-5 years. You also hope that we can draft the third piece in the 2015-17 drafts. I can't emphasize enough that this is nothing short of a 5 year plan that does not include Rondo. 

If you build around Rondo (who is 28) you do it by trading your assets this year. Rondo is the first piece, Green, Bradley and either KO or Sully are (maybe) your 3-6 options. You need at least two more top players and then you've build another window (similar to '08) for the next 6 years. 

My thought here was that Aldridge could be a #2 option. Hayward could be a #3 option. Danny uses this year to evaluate whether KO  or Sully is the better all around 4, because lets face it, they are both 4's in the NBA. Ideally its close. Ideally, Sully averages a double-double like 12-10 and KO averages somewhere around 16 - 6 - 5. Then you can trade one along with your 2014 first round pick for a guy like Aldridge. Then you find a way to get another excellent outside shooter and defender. I think that's Hayward.

You go into next year:

Rondo (29) averaging 15ppg- 11apg - 6 rpg

Hayward (25) averaging 15ppg - 3apg - 3rpg

Green (28) averaging 15ppg - 5rpg

Olynyk (22) - averaging 15ppg - 6rpg - 5apg

Aldridge (29) averaging 21ppg - 9rpg - 2bpg

With a bench of your best role players: Crawford (scoring&passing), Bradley(defense&shooting), Wallace (defense&scoring), Bass (defense&shooting), Favarani (stretch5, physical).

Remeber, we still have Colton Iverson, who hopefully along with Fav can be our big (&cheap) physical bodies at the 5.

That is the foundation of a playoff contender in what will still be a weak Eastern Conference. Of course this relies on your core guys to take their game to another level, and for Stevens to deliver coach-of-the-year level coaching, but the same is true for any team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

To all those who think Boston won't give up their 2014 first round pick ... one question.

Did you ever see that movie where in 2008 the Celtics traded away thier #5 pick along with a bunch of young prospect players to build around their one allstar?

Different time, different situation.  2008 was like the 5th year of the rebuilding process that Ainge started.  He had already accumulated a lot of young players as trading chips, and he had PP at his prime, and the good pick at the coming draft.  They missed #1, and Jeff Green was not the right piece to get where they wanted to be at the time.  You cannot equate that to where we will be at the next draft.  Think about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Different time, different situation.  2008 was like the 5th year of the rebuilding process that Ainge started.  He had already accumulated a lot of young players as trading chips, and he had PP at his prime, and the good pick at the coming draft.  They missed #1, and Jeff Green was not the right piece to get where they wanted to be at the time.  You cannot equate that to where we will be at the next draft.  Think about it.

You just described our current situation ...

He had already accumulated a lot of young players as trading chips = Green, Bradley, Olynyk, Sullinger, Brooks, Crawford ... I'd even lump in (Lee & Bass)

He had PP at his prime = Rondo

And the good pick at the coming draft = (by most people's estimates) top10 pick

Except this time, Ainge has multiple additional future draft picks and expiring contracts of Humphries & Bogan of about 15M along with a trade exception from Paul Pierce ...

Think about it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

Can't go along with the President and CEO of the Rondo Youth Brigade...if you're going to let DA do his thing, let him do it...why TRY to get in the playoffs just to get blown out in the 1st or (at best) 2nd round?...I'm willing to wait until they accummulate enough talent to be a regular threat to win it all for at least  a 5 year span...this doesn't get you close to that....

Despite hating everything you evey scribble out on this board with you crayons ... its a fair opinion to want to be bad to accumulate young talent. But to do this you MUST: 

A.Trade Rondo, Green, Bass, Lee

B. Wait 5 years for your young talent to develop into allstars and into a contender

C. Hope to get EXTREMELY lucky. One draft bust, one bad nut, one unhappy player and we can easily become either the Bobcats (perenial lottery players) or the Bucks (perenial 8th seed 4-and-out in the playoffs)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Something similar to your deal, say look at gettins good players through development and trades and also look hard at the draft and what it can do for us.  A complicated problem with many variables that we will be lucky enough to watch Danny put together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

You are reaching big time.  Rondo is not in the same league as a player as PP.  Bradley might not even be extended by Ainge, he could be a throw-away by the end of the season, same as Crawford.  Green has been mostly a tease.  Sullinger and Oly are big unknowns, who knows what they will be long term.  Oly could be a journeyman for all we know.

Yeah sure, this is 2008.  And we are giving our first pick away for Aldridge because Aldridge = KG and championship.  Yeah sure, why not?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

R9R.  Don't be offended.  I clearly understand your position.  I just don't agree with any of it for the numerous reasons stated by me and others.  

Any one of the following reasons would be enough to kill your dream:

First and foremost, it doesn't make any sense financially.  Second, the timing of such a transaction, given our prolonged rebuilding, would be a complete waste. (Aldridge and Rondo don't make this team competitive). Third, there is nobody Portland would want on our team and Danny will not trade one of the top 4 picks for a soon to be 30 year old tweener, especially when we have 2 promising young players with great contracts playing the same position.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

One thing I'm sure of, Ainge will NOT trade the Celts' 2014 1st round pick.

If rebuilding was easy, the Knicks, Bulls, and Sixers, to name a few, would've already won another championship by now.

+ 1 - I am guessing DA is trying to obtain another 2014 draft pick, versus trading the two the Cs already have! 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts