What I would do - trade the picks, build around Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: What I would do - trade the picks, build around Rondo

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Let's just put it this way, all the top 5 playoff teams in the east either have superstars or multiple all-stars on the roster.

If Rondo is the #1 option for the Celts, they're only going to be a playoff team until Rondo retires.

What the Celts need is a star player to go along with Rondo.

Even if the Celts can get LaMarcus Aldridge, the Celts are still going to need another impact to go along with Rondo and Aldridge.

And please, Gordon Hayward is NOT an impact player.

Bradley and Green are enough of impact players, and thats fine if you disagree on Hayward. I just see this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/haywago01/shooting/2013/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01/shooting/2013/

going well with this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bradlav01/shooting/2013/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02/shooting/2013/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/shooting/2013/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

One thing I'm sure of, Ainge will NOT trade the Celts' 2014 1st round pick.

If rebuilding was easy, the Knicks, Bulls, and Sixers, to name a few, would've already won another championship by now.

+ 1 - I am guessing DA is trying to obtain another 2014 draft pick, versus trading the two the Cs already have! 

And if the Celts get lucky, end up with the #1 or #2 pick, Ainge might offer Rondo for another top 5 pick in the 2014 Draft.

I think there's a better chance that he goes the other way. He did it before. He'll see where we land, who we can get, and if its not a franchise changing player but a future allstar potential, he will flip it and one of our young PFs for a known quantity, like Aldridge. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

One thing I'm sure of, Ainge will NOT trade the Celts' 2014 1st round pick.

If rebuilding was easy, the Knicks, Bulls, and Sixers, to name a few, would've already won another championship by now.

+ 1 - I am guessing DA is trying to obtain another 2014 draft pick, versus trading the two the Cs already have! 

And if the Celts get lucky, end up with the #1 or #2 pick, Ainge might offer Rondo for another top 5 pick in the 2014 Draft.

Definitely could happen with a top 2 pick. But otherwise,

I think there's a better chance that he goes the other way. He did it before. He'll see where we land, who we can get, and if its not a franchise changing player but a future allstar potential, he will flip it and one of our young PFs for a known quantity, like Aldridge. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

R9R

I told you Utah was keeping Favors.

Tonight the Jazz agreed to a 4-year 49m deal with Favors.

Again, it won't make sense to keep Rondo if the Celts end up with a #1 or #2 pick.

The Celts will rebuild from the ground up.

Sully's only 21, Oly and Bradley are both 22 years old, and ending up with a #1 or #2 pick means another 20-year old.

So it makes sense to let those young players grow together. 

I think you underestimate:

1. How highly Danny regards Rondo

2. How much the entire organization wants to compete every year

3. The assets and determintation ownership has to make us good again soon

Letting Rondo go would initiate a total rebuild which means:

1. Many years of losing

2. No guarentees that you'll win again

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

"Bradley and Green are enough of impact players,"

The Pacers have Hibbert, Paul George, and David West.

The Bulls have Rose, Deng, and Noah.

The Heat have Bosh, Lebron, and Wade.

The Knicks have Melo, Chandler, and J.R. Smith.

The Nets have Deron, Lopez, Pierce, KG, and Joe Johnson.

No way the Celts, with Rondo, Green, and Bradley, will be better than those teams.

Maybe if you add Aldridge to the mix the Celts will be like the Knicks, but just look at the elite teams in the east.

There's just no way the Celts will be close to being a contender if the best players are Rondo, Green, and Bradley.

The crap in orage = straw man

The green = important part that the straw man ignores

I said Aldridge & Hayward. This would be set up for 2014-15 season as the first window in what could be a 6 year window. in 2015 Lebron could be in LA, KG & PP Retired, and Melo in Dallas.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Remember, Rondo is at his best when he's being surrounded by great players.

Rondo is not a scoring threat like Rose, Kyrie Irving, Deron, or CP3.

Can Rondo average 18 points per game?

No, he can't.

This is borderline sacrilidge, but I think that Aldridge can be KG-like.

I think a team any combination of Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green, Olynyk, Aldridge could be as talented (not accomplished, talented) as Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Baby, Garnett, Perk

I think Stevens will ultimately prove a better coach than Doc.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

1. Many years of losing

1. Ainge tried to trade Rondo numerous times.

Remember, when Ainge offered Rondo, Green, 2 1st round picks for CP3 in 2011?

How about when Ainge offered Rondo to the Kings for the #4 pick in the 2009 Draft?

2. If that were true then Ainge would not have traded KG and Pierce because keeping KG and PP would have meant the Celts would still be a playoff team this season.

Ainge blew it up this summer.

3. What assets?

Determination alone won't get you in the Finals.

Letting Rondo go?

1. Just because the Celts won a championship in 2008 it doesn't mean they can do it again in 2016.

If it's that easy to win a championship in the NBA, the Sixers, Knicks, and Bulls would've been in the Finals already in this decade.

2. There are no guarantees in the NBA.

The Celts are not even a prime destination for big name free-agents.

It shouldn't even have to be said that a championship is not guarenteed. All you can do is try to builld a contender. A team that could achieve a top playoff spot. Common now. Knicks (if they weren't so selfish) and Bulls (if they weren't so hurt) and Sixers (if they weren't so greedy) could have been in the finals last year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Dumb and dumber....

Pud

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

1. Many years of losing

You are simply lost. What you are underestimating is the negatve impact that Rajon Rondo has had on this storied franchise during his tumultuos tenure as a Celtic. All you see is the flash and glitter of his sometimes amazing shiw of individual physical skill. Dude has no emotional stability and discipline. He has proven so divisive that the entire team has been dismantled with every single former player/coach having been tied to some sort of friction with RR along the way. DA would love to move Rajon, but simply has no true leverage to get even 75-cent on the dollar for him with his questionable rep and now injury. Stop the madness.

YOU DON't build anything on a foundation that has proven or even potential issues. Why would you build around any player who begs so much scrutiny and obvious maintainence? Rajon goes by NLT THE deadline for best offer. HE EXHAUSTED OUR HOF-ers and even scared Fraud Rivers away. Grow up, "man"?  we know it breaks your heart to let go, but its time to complete the house-cleaning ASAP and ship RR out. Get ready. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Let's just put it this way, all the top 5 playoff teams in the east either have superstars or multiple all-stars on the roster.

If Rondo is the #1 option for the Celts, they're only going to be a playoff team until Rondo retires.

Even if the Celts can get LaMarcus Aldridge, the Celts are still going to need another impact to go along with Rondo and Aldridge.

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

+1

More star players to go with Rondo????

Horrible investment trying to shore up a sinking foundation.

Invest quarters... get back dimes.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

+1

More star players to go with Rondo????

Horrible investment trying to shore up a sinking foundation.

Invest quarters... get back dimes.

Pud

NICE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Hahaha ....

Getting a big contract doesn't mean a team won't flip you some point in the future ... Just ask Nene!  A team can't let a primary asset walk away with nothing in return even if they don't want to pay him the FA $ it takes some times to re-up him. Better to resign and then find a deal than get nothing for him if the timing isn't right.

Duh!

If that's the case then why aren't the Pistons giving Monroe a contract extension?

The Jazz don't have to give Favors an extension now.

So why are the Jazz in a hurry to extend Favors?

Hard to believe the longer you post in this forum the more idiotic your posts become.

Common its not that hard to understand. The Jazz gave Favors an extension because they want to build around or at least have the option and they assessed that another team is likely giving him more than what they offered.

Monroeis interesting but all the advanced stats are starting to indicate he is like a Big Al type who can put up nearly 20-10 but very inefficiently.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

and to those who keep saying we will only contend until rondo retires as if that's a counterargument ... that's the point.

Notsure about you, but I like contending better than rebuilding, I'm not looking for perpetual rebuilding like the Bobcats. Trust me, you'll feel the same way once the Lakers rebound in two years with Melo or Lebron and get another title.Let's not lose sight of the only thing that matters, being the most winning franchise in NBA.

Ascool as it would be to get super lucky like the Spurs and draft the key piece to a dynasty... holding out for a top 3 player is just not a sure thing. Ask Cleveland

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

+1

OK that's my personal assessment. You don't have to agree. I think its special to have a 6'8 SG wing player who van defend multiple positions, who can shoot long range from anywhere behind the arc, is equally able to finish near the basket, can score one on one, has the propensity to make clutch shots st the end of games, came from a winning school, can be reunited with his old coach who he clearly worked well with, and is still only 23 and undervalued throughout the league.

especiallywhen the SG spot is weak right now. Once Wade and Kobe retire... who's left? Harden, Johnson, Jr Smith? Igoudala, Leonard, Derozen, Martin, Turner, Oladipo ... really struggling to come up with names

Sections
Shortcuts