What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics?

What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics (during what ever year he decides to turn pro)?

What do you think Mr. Stern and or the rest of the NBA would do? Do you think it might facilitate a pre-draft or draft-day trade? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics?

Not unprecedented

The players who have done this in the past are either notorious for being immature underachievers (see Steve Francis) or despite HOF careers are known as slimy disgusting ego-maniacs (Kobe Bryant)

Kobe had Arn Tellem and his father Joe tell the Nets that he would refuse to sign with them when they wanted to take him 8th in the '96 draft

Kobe had already been contacted by Jerry West about the Lakers possibly moving into position to take him, so he orchestrated his own fall to pick 14 by coming off as the spoiled petulant teenager that team drafted in the top 10 feared he might be

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Celts had a shot at Rivers before the Chris Paul trade... the Clippers had pick 12-16 written all over them before that move. Rivers is widely predicted to go in the 7-14 range in a deep draft.

Our own pick in the 20's, or one of our young guys like Avery or Johnson, should have been enough to move up 5-6 spots to claim Rivers.

Now with two picks likely in the mid-20's it will be pretty hard to get Rivers

If Rivers went back to Duke and was an all-American as a sophmore he would likely be a top 5 pick in a weaker draft and we are not going to be a bad team unless Danny trades Rondo and doesn't use his cap space.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics?:
    [QUOTE]Not unprecedented, although the players who have done this in the past are either notorious for being immature underachievers (see Steve Francis) or slimy disgusting ego-maniacs (Kobe Bryant) Kobe had Arn Tellem and his father Joe tell the Nets that Kobe would refuse to play for them when they wanted to take him 8th in the '96 draft Kobe had already been contacted by Jerry West about the Lakers possibly moving into position to take him, so he orchestrated his own fall to pick 14 by coming off as the spoiled petulant teenager that team drafted in the top 10 feared he might be
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

And nobody cares now right?

So if Austin went that route, it would be forgotten too. He only gets one chance to be drafted by his father.

That's a special moment the general public would forgive him for wanting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: What if Austin Rivers Stated He Would Only Play for the Celtics?:
    [QUOTE]It has always bothered me that 'nobody cares' what an obvious piece of sh!t human being kobe is, his actions have over and over shown this to be 100% true

I don't disagree. He is a self centered ego maniac.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

And if/when dear daddy is fired/terminated/plays out his option/booted up/down stairs... what then for young Austin?

Nepotism is fraught with problems.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If nothing else it might facilitate a draft day trade! AR would be a great long term replacement for RA!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I'm with Pud on this. Let's look at it from Austin Rivers point of view. Would you want to play for your father?  With all this kids ability why would he want to limit himself with playing for his Dad, having to be in the middle of heated arguments between his teammates and Doc.  Austin will do anything not to play here and I am sure Doc feels the same way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I can't speak for AR or DR, but (as the video shows / link below), there appears to be allot of mutual respect and admiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtN8HZyzTQ

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I am sure there is but as a father Doc would know that it might not be in his son's best interests.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Dont worry, he may be sitting there with Clippers 11 pick...remember C's have that pick and with CP3 in Clippers it helps to get the pick out of the protected top ten picks.

I think Austin should say at least two years, but he may be one and done. He still has to learn to control his body more while driving to the hoop. As he matures that will come.

It makes Duke basketball fun to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Dont worry, he may be sitting there with Clippers 11 pick...remember C's have that pick and with CP3 in Clippers it helps to get the pick out of the protected top ten picks. I think Austin should say at least two years, but he may be one and done. He still has to learn to control his body more while driving to the hoop. As he matures that will come. It makes Duke basketball fun to watch.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

The Clippers pick should be in the 18-24 range now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

so silly, the mods erased my rude comment about Kobe, but are terrible at their most important job of banning Laker trolls and making this forum a more pleasant place w/o those trying to start fights/conflict allowed here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with Pud on this. Let's look at it from Austin Rivers point of view. Would you want to play for your father?  With all this kids ability why would he want to limit himself with playing for his Dad, having to be in the middle of heated arguments between his teammates and Doc.  Austin will do anything not to play here and I am sure Doc feels the same way.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Pud's on my ignore b/c he offers little but ignorant illogical vomit directed at Rondo

but the reality is that Austin barely saw his father the last 10 years, was never coached by him, grew up fast and is a mture individual, in all likelyhood he would enjoy being coached but doc

This thread is assuming that... even though there is no way he'd tell 10 other teams 'don't bother I have to go to boston"

This isn't 1996 Kobe who did just that... it's a mature classy person and not a deplorable narcissist

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

hes not coming to Boston..Doc wouldnt allow it and he wouldnt want it. who wants to be under their Dad's eye while going through the NBA lifestyle? Who wants to go through the media scrutiny the first time they decide to start their son?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

[QUOTE]so silly, the mods erased my rude comment about Kobe, but are terrible at their most important job of banning Laker trolls and making this forum a more pleasant place w/o those trying to start fights/conflict allowed here

"start fights/conflict" is also commonly known as:
    "they disagree with me, and I don't like it!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rivers need four years of college.  He is not ready.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Rondo and Austin - what a combo that would be.

He would look good in Green.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Love this comment by AR:

It was then that Doc's kid turned his attention to Miami Heat superstar and public enemy number one, LeBron James.

"I don’t want to just meet LeBron," he said, "I want to destroy him on the court one day."

That's the spirit, kid. In a day and age where every NBA fan across the land is taking shots at LeBron, it's about time that somebody who knows how to handle the rock did the same.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/626771-tim-tebow-wes-leonard-nfl-labor-talks-and-fridays-late-sports-news/entry/50752-austin-rivers-nations-top-recruit-aims-to-destroy-lebron-james

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Interesting.  But if A. Rivers elevates his draft status at Duke from projected top 10/late lottery to top 3, I think he'd drop his demands pretty quick for financial reasons. 

24. This post has been removed.