What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant

I really don't know how any sane rational person could deny that Kevin Durant is hands down the best player on the planet right now. He even seems to have the clutch gene.

Given our luck over the last twenty years we probably would have ended up with the # 1 pick and taken Greg Oden.

But let's say we win the lottery and select Durant at one. That means there is probably no Garnett trade. And the entire identity of this team is different. The thing that won a title for us was suffocating defense. Which is why I will never understand the Lakers being favored in 08 We were a bad matchup for them and we proved in the regular season. I'm surprised it even went 6 games.

Anyway, that would have given us a starting five of:
    Perk
    Rondo
    Jefferson
    Pierce
    Durant

With a quality bench

We certainly wouldn't have the same defensive toughness. But that team would have scored 100 a night without breaking a sweat.

I understand Ainge did the best he could with what he had to work with. Considering we got screwed by a competely idiotic draft lottery. That seriously needs to be done away with. But that's another topic.

Even if the Celtics were unable to win a title with that group, we would have the best player in the game who also happens to be a complete class act- the anti DWade/Kobe/Lebron. And maybe we would have had a chance to lure some superstars here.

Also, it was obvious Minnesota was going to trade Garnett. Kind of makes you wonder where he would have gone in this scenario and how that would have changed the landscape.

I don't know. I was just watching the game last night and it was depressing. I was thinking about the original Big Three and the end for them. And the long road ahead for us Celtics fans. And it just got me to thinking about what could have been.

I can't tell you how proud I would have been to see Durant wear Celtics green. Instead I have listen to rumors about losers like Demarcus Cousins being on the team's radar.

Sigh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant

In Response to What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant:
    [QUOTE]I really don't know how any sane rational person could deny that Kevin Durant is hands down the best player on the planet right now. He even seems to have the clutch gene. Given our luck over the last twenty years we probably would have ended up with the # 1 pick and taken Greg Oden. But let's say we win the lottery and select Durant at one. That means there is probably no Garnett trade. And the entire identity of this team is different. The thing that won a title for us was suffocating defense. Which is why I will never understand the Lakers being favored in 08 We were a bad matchup for them and we proved in the regular season. I'm surprised it even went 6 games. Anyway, that would have given us a starting five of: Perk Rondo Jefferson Pierce Durant With a quality bench We certainly wouldn't have the same defensive toughness. But that team would have scored 100 a night without breaking a sweat. I understand Ainge did the best he could with what he had to work with. Considering we got screwed by a competely idiotic draft lottery. That seriously needs to be done away with. But that's another topic. Even if the Celtics were unable to win a title with that group, we would have the best player in the game who also happens to be a complete class act- the anti DWade/Kobe/Lebron. And maybe we would have had a chance to lure some superstars here. Also, it was obvious Minnesota was going to trade Garnett. Kind of makes you wonder where he would have gone in this scenario and how that would have changed the landscape. I don't know. I was just watching the game last night and it was depressing. I was thinking about the original Big Three and the end for them. And the long road ahead for us Celtics fans. And it just got me to thinking about what could have been. I can't tell you how proud I would have been to see Durant wear Celtics green. Instead I have listen to rumors about losers like Demarcus Cousins being on the team's radar. Sigh.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

There is no way to assess what the team would be like after drafting a player like Durant.... they would have instantly won a bunch more games and the shape of the roster would be much different but keep dreaming... as I say, one is never too old to fantasize.....

Maybe if Danny starts to use his head then he will dismantle this debaucle as quickly as possible and start to put themselves in position to draft players like Durant..... my guess is Danny is more egotistical than that so he will make Joe Dumars type moves and ensure that they add non-factors and provide us with 5 to 7 years more mediocrity such that they cannot rebuild nor contend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I think the Celtics would still be at 16 championships if they had drafted Durant instead of making the moves they actually made. As great a shooter as Durant is, he doesn't play much defense, nor has he led his teams to an NBA Finals. And that's despite Oklahoma City having a superior supporting cast than what he would have had on a Pierce-Jefferson-Rondo Celtics team. The future would look brighter at this moment, but we'd still be waiting for our first championship since '86. I'm glad the Celtics got Garnett and Allen. No. 17 meant a lot to me. There easily could have been another championship or two with this group too, if not for the Garnett injury in '09 and the incomprehensible lack of a bench in '10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

I agree with you on Danny. I have said for years that he is in over his head and we need a competent GM. This would be a difficult situation for a good GM let alone Rick Pitino Jr. But I don't think he's going anywhere.

The problem is Durant is a once a decade kind of player. The problem with blowing it up is there are no guarantees. And do you really feel confiident with Danny making that pick anyway? Last time we had an attractive young player which we were able to flip into Garnett. If we blow it up, this time we don't have a young up and coming PF.

Back to my point, here arethe top three players from each draft from 01-09

Kwame Brown
    Tyson Chandler
    Pau Gasol
    Yao Ming
    Jay Williams
    Mike Dunleavy
    LeBron James
    Darko Milicic
    Carmello Anthony
    Dwight Howard
    Emaka Okafor
    Ben Gordon
    Andrew Bogut
    Marvin Williams
    Deron Williams
    Andrea Bargnani
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Adam Morrison
    Greg Oden
    Kevin Durant
    Al Horford
    Derrick Rose
    Michael Beasly
    OJ Mayo
    Blake Griffin
    Hasheem Thabeet
    James Harden

Not exactly murders row. There are just as many All Stars as there are mid level players and quite a few busts And that's without Danny making the picks. But tell me (with a straight face) that you see a single franchise player on that list outside of Durant.

For God's sake Blake Griffin went one in 2009! He's not even a good basketball player. He's just a leaper. James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings are all better players. They all went after him. And that's just round one.

My point is, high lottery picks are a crap shoot even when your GM has a clue.

So I think we have very limited opyions. He clearly held on to the big three for too long. And he probably should have traded Rondo before the rest of the league figured out his jump shot was never going to improve.

Things could be worse.We could be Clevaeland fans. That town hasn't won anything in decades.Nobody can take 08 away. So I don't mean to be so negative. But things look really bleak right now. The sooner Danny is gone the better I'll feel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant:
    [QUOTE]I think the Celtics would still be at 16 championships if they had drafted Durant instead of making the moves they actually made. As great a shooter as Durant is, he doesn't play much defense, nor has he led his teams to an NBA Finals. And that's despite Oklahoma City having a superior supporting cast than what he would have had on a Pierce-Jefferson-Rondo Celtics team. The future would look brighter at this moment, but we'd still be waiting for our first championship since '86. I'm glad the Celtics got Garnett and Allen. No. 17 meant a lot to me. There easily could have been another championship or two with this group too, if not for the Garnett injury in '09 and the incomprehensible lack of a bench in '10.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my 74 year old stepfather.... they could have won another title had KG not been injured as if injuries only apply to the Cs - the same person who would suggest that had Perkins not been in jured in game 6 the Cs would have won another title - but cannot even begin to listen to if Bynum had been healthy there would never had been a game 6 where Perkins would have been injured..... the same person who would suggest that even after Rondo was embarrassed off the court in games 1 and 2 by Bibby think that had Rondo not been injured in game three and being down 2 zip the Cs would have beaten the Heat and had a clear path to the finals....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant : Sounds like my 74 year old stepfather.... they could have won another title had KG not been injured as if injuries only apply to the Cs - the same person who would suggest that had Perkins not been in jured in game 6 the Cs would have won another title - but cannot even begin to listen to if Bynum had been healthy there would never had been a game 6 where Perkins would have been injured..... the same person who would suggest that even after Rondo was embarrassed off the court in games 1 and 2 by Bibby think that had Rondo not been injured in game three and being down 2 zip the Cs would have beaten the Heat and had a clear path to the finals....
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

The Celtics would have won another title in Game 6 if Perk had played and Bynum's injuy didn't keep him out of the game if nagging injuries count then we have to also allow for the fact that KG wasn't fuly recovered from his leg injuy and therefore wasn't playing his best either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant : Sounds like my 74 year old stepfather.... they could have won another title had KG not been injured as if injuries only apply to the Cs - the same person who would suggest that had Perkins not been in jured in game 6 the Cs would have won another title - but cannot even begin to listen to if Bynum had been healthy there would never had been a game 6 where Perkins would have been injured..... the same person who would suggest that even after Rondo was embarrassed off the court in games 1 and 2 by Bibby think that had Rondo not been injured in game three and being down 2 zip the Cs would have beaten the Heat and had a clear path to the finals....
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]]

Are you really this miserable? do you ever have anything good or postitive to say about anyone or anything?  Btw, this guy Ainge, although not perfect, brought a title to the Celtics after how many years without one?????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant : The Celtics would have won another title in Game 6 if Perk had played and Bynum's injuy didn't keep him out of the game if nagging injuries count then we have to also allow for the fact that KG wasn't fuly recovered from his leg injuy and therefore wasn't playing his best either. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]
    Bynum had 21 points, 14 boards, 7 blocks and his health went directly down hill after that......  so Game 6 would have never happened if he were as healthy as he is now.....  so please at least attempt to be realistic when giving this thought.....  should the Cs have won other titles had Larry not had achilles injuries and had Walton not had foot injuries and had McHale had not had ankle injuries.......  Perk is a complete non factor in Cs history and to somehow suggest that his health was more important than an all-star center is absurd... unless of course if you are a green-glasses Celtics fan who cannot  be realistic.... how would it feel to be a Bulls fan to know that the greatest player in your team's history was quietly suspended for gambling and as a result Hakeem the Dream won two titles when you could have / would have won 8 straight titles without any injuries?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if the Celtics had drated Kevin Durant : Bynum had 21 points, 14 boards, 7 blocks and his health went directly down hill after that......  so Game 6 would have never happened if he were as healthy as he is now.....  so please at least attempt to be realistic when giving this thought.....  should the Cs have won other titles had Larry not had achilles injuries and had Walton not had foot injuries and had McHale had not had ankle injuries.......  Perk is a complete non factor in Cs history and to somehow suggest that his health was more important than an all-star center is absurd... unless of course if you are a green-glasses Celtics fan who cannot  be realistic.... how would it feel to be a Bulls fan to know that the greatest player in your team's history was quietly suspended for gambling and as a result Hakeem the Dream won two titles when you could have / would have won 8 straight titles without any injuries?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Since you bring up the ONE time all star named Bynum, please explain how Rondo is a 3 time all star and you don't do anything but downgrade him.  You still wear the tag of BOZO.