WHAT IF WE KEPT PERKINS AND RAY ALLEN STAYED WITH US ???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

WHAT IF WE KEPT PERKINS AND RAY ALLEN STAYED WITH US ???

Moot point I know and fruitless for many to even think about it and I'm being a Monday morning QB too when I say Ray Allen has been instrumental in the Heat's success. I know many weren't happy with Perk not being a prolific scorer but he could defend in the post vs Gasol, Bynum, Howard etc. which is something we haven't had. We lost game 7 in LA, I believe, because Perk went down in game 6. Yup they got an egregious 41 to 18 in foul shots and 21 only in the 4th qtr and we couldn't maintain our 13 pt lead but they also got some key rebounds that gave them extra shots because I believe they only shot 39% and Kobe only shot 6 for 24(25%). He'd been a goat instead of a hero had they lost.

But if we kept Perk and Ray Allen stayed and we also for peanuts kept Tony Allen and also Nate Robinson, like him better than our Pressey and Bayless now, we might have won game 7 vs Miami 2 years ago and had #18. And, yup, PP & KG could really be thinking of retiring in Green after this year!

Anyway,  I am just California Dreaming,  I guess,  and I personally don't think anyone will beat the Heat !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: WHAT IF WE KEPT PERKINS AND RAY ALLEN STAYED WITH US ???

Perk is average at best and Ray Allen isn't half the player he used to be. He can still shoot but he can't get off his own shot to save his life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Agreed. We'd still stink because the guys got older but not better. Perkins had one thing we needed, that that group of players needed - TOUGHNESS. He was the muscle and tough guy KG needed to back up his taunts and inside D. Perkins had no offensive game but was a relentless muscle guy under the boards with boxing out and hurting guys driving the lane. Nobody wanted to drive when Perk was there because you knew he'd hurt you on purpose. He also layed out some guys with bone crushing picks for Rondo, Ray and PP. But the nature of the game changed and once he hurt his knee his effectiveness was hurt as well.

The only thing that never changes over time is that everything changes over time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Seems the legend of Perk has sure grown from what I remember of him...

His bone crushing picks were really called offensive fouls because he could never understand he had to stay still...even if only sometimes..  His game was mainly an inside presence and some decent post defense. He was never anything Id consider more than an adequate complimentary role player for the teams stars..

At one point after the championship season Perk began to develop an offensive arsenal.. wonder how many people remember that.. but suddenly it just disappeared. 

During his injury time the C's picked up Shaq and nobody missed Perk. Shaq was getting it done and the C's were flying high, real title contenders until we traded Perk and bet the house on Shaq staying healthy...snakeyes

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

If the Celtics had kept Perkins, Boston would have won the 2012 Finals. Probably would have gotten to the ECF this year because of the weak competition but I don't believe that they would have won. That starting 5 of '08 would have won more titles if Ainge had added some talent to the team. With each year that passed Boston had less talent. Of course, Boston was robbed in game 7 of the 2010 Finals. I still believe that there should have been a Congressional investigation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed. We'd still stink because the guys got older but not better. Perkins had one thing we needed, that that group of players needed - TOUGHNESS. He was the muscle and tough guy KG needed to back up his taunts and inside D. Perkins had no offensive game but was a relentless muscle guy under the boards with boxing out and hurting guys driving the lane. Nobody wanted to drive when Perk was there because you knew he'd hurt you on purpose. He also layed out some guys with bone crushing picks for Rondo, Ray and PP. But the nature of the game changed and once he hurt his knee his effectiveness was hurt as well.

The only thing that never changes over time is that everything changes over time.

[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. Boston did become a finesse team after Perk was shipped away. Which really bothers me. Ainge didn't realize that what made the Celtics so successful was that toughness. The moment he traded away Perkins who brought that "edge" to the team (with KG! Wow!!) for Jeff Green a guy that plays with an indifference in his approach was the moment that Ainge destroyed the great team that he had put together. I guess he realized it when he tried to bring Perk back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perk is average at best and Ray Allen isn't half the player he used to be. He can still shoot but he can't get off his own shot to save his life.

[/QUOTE]

Allen didn't have to create his own shot when he had Rondo on the floor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

perkskins is TERRIBLE post knee injury- cannot move- he's worth 7 or 8M on the cap

KG's dead body would be being paid 11M because of that dumb contract danny signed him to

so there's 20M of gunk on your cap, add in pierce at 15M, another year older and we would stink

ray would take another 10M and rondo at 12M so you'd have............

FIFTY SEVEN MILLION CAP DOLLARS tied up in a starting 5 that is not competitive

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to guyfromtex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Allen didn't have to create his own shot when he had Rondo on the floor.

[/QUOTE]

he had to run triple back curls like he never ran before as rondo pounded the rock at the top of the key.  every year ray, because of rondo's increasing slow-down approach, had to work harder and harder for fewer FGA's.  with perkins not much of a threat on O and rondo avoiding all responsibility to carry his load of scoring points, yes, that does make a player like ray have to work much harder to create his shot opportunities by running for 10 seconds to get a still contested deep J

Sections
Shortcuts