What is happening to the NBA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Re: What is happening to the NBA?

The NBA has expanded since the 80's and I believed Charles Barkley when he says that half the guys playing now wouldn't have been able to make a team in the 80's!!  Marketing people determined that fans love scoring and David Stern, in his quest to pimp-out the game of basketball, changed the rules to allow the offensive player more freedom to score.  Paul Pierce has a great move where he draws contact, then shoots, and usually gets the call.  That move wouldn't work in the 80's!!

The league has too many teams.  This brings the overall skill level of the league down.  I'm not sure the NBA needs a team in Toronto, Minnesota, 2 in LA and 2 soon to be in NYC.  If the NBA dissolved 2 teams, in theory, the remaining teams would get 1 player deeper.  A higher level of skill across the league would be good for everyone involved.  The owners who can't make a profit should be given a chance to get out.  Cities that don't support basketball (versus cities like Detroit and Cleveland who are more victims of the economy) should not have teams.  Cities that don't have teams but would support them should get an opportunity to lure an existing team to them, not be given one through expansion.  This practice would be more consistent with the league's history.  We're all aware that there are no 'lakes' in LA, and 'Jazz' belongs to New Orleans.  Cities support teams when they like the players, win or lose.  Millionaire cry babies and their inflated salaries make it harder for the average family to attend a game.  Sons grow up less attached to their hometown teams because their fathers can't buy as many tickets and attend as many games as fathers and sons a generation ago.  Everyone becomes more cynical and more detached.  Boston has always been a good town in terms of supporting teams.  We'll boo and complain but we'll still go.  Aside from a threat from the Pats a few years ago, we've never been in danger of losing one of our sports teams.   

If there were fewer jobs in the NBA, maybe the guys who hold them would appreciate their job, and the fans that make it possible, just a little bit more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA?:
    Talk about spoiled youth wanting things easy and the millions that go with it, check out this ESPN article on Rondo trying out for the USA team: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USA-Rondo-100722 Particularly interesting is the comment by Rondo as to why he is interested in participating in the Team USA. "I think it's good branding for myself, globally and internationally , and I'm having a lot of fun with these guys. A lot of the guys are pretty young." Here is a kid with worlds of talent whose game remains fundamentally flawed after 4 full years in the league.... and instead of staying at home and working on improving his God awful jumper and FTs.... he is off with Team USA instead... because it is good for his brand . Marketing no less! Did I read that correctly? How utterly self-centered, immature and arrogant! (I hope he doesn't make the team!) Words simply fail me at this point... but I can think of a whole lot of other ways to improve your brand, Rondo. How about learning to shoot FTs for goodness sake! How about a decent jumper! How about getting serious about rounding out your game instead of showing off with Team USA! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

you are a loser

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Ian Thomson has a great article at SI today about some of the issues related to why the league is changing. He says that it is players against management now rather than teams and players against other teams and players. He blames AAU basketball for much of the change in attitude.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/07/23/countdown/index.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

What a bunch of old farts!  It used to be that people didn't become old farts until they were in the their 60s - now it's infected people in their 30s!

I LOVE NBA basketball, now more than ever.  I've watched almost every game the Celtics have played since I returned to Boston in 1990 - good seasons and bad seasons alike.  I bleed green - have since the days of Russell and Cousy. 

The skill level of today's players is far superior to that of bygone days, and the coaching is far superior.  Expansion has been more than offset by the globalization of basketball, which has resulted in a far greater talent pool. 

Defense is much, much better than that played years ago.  It has gotten more sophisticated, and is played much harder (by the better teams) than in the past.  And it is still the part of basketball that is least understood or appreciated by most fans.  

Analytic tools, for both professionals and fans, are far superior to what was available in the past.  It's too bad that the vast majority of fans are too lazy to understand or use them.

NBA officiating is no worse than it's been since the late '50s - when refs were criticized just as viciously as they are now.  And that's despite the fact that the game has become more sophisticated and the players more athletic.

The tendency of fans to think that somehow they deserve loyalty from the players, when the fans don't give it in return, is ludicrous.  Even worse is fans' expectation that players should be willing to earn less so as to stay with the fans' favorite team - this from people who would give two weeks notice one second after getting a better offer from another company.

Worse yet is the outrage with which so many fans and sports writers have greeted the latest development in the game - players using their free agent rights to play with their friends for less money, rather than passively rolling over and accepting the power of the owners like a bunch of indentured servants.

Go watch the "purity" of college basketball if you want - a system rife with cheating and the exploitation of players for the benefit of coaches and the schools.  I prefer to watch the best game in the world played at its highest level by the best players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Dafoe, I thought this was a strong thread. I do continue to enjoy the NBA but there is definitely a sense of tough-minded dues-paying lane-blocking blue collarism that is missing from today's NBA. I do think you can expand that discussion though to include other professional sports and in general our celebrity obsessed culture where fame is awarded without merit. But your points are well taken. I did like how Kevin Durant quietly extended his contract in OKC without fanfare though. Some guys do seem to get it.

It's too bad pud attempted to hijack your thread with yet another one of his endless rants about Rajon Rondo, who has been tried and convicted in his mind for crimes unknown to the rest of us. 

But since pud decided to post more hate on Rondo, as if playing for team USA is going to make Rondo a worse player, here's some commentary: 

Chris Mannix, a good NBA reporter, noted: 

"Rondo has been among the standouts in camp, drawing praise from USA Basketball officials for his decision-making and ability to run a team. Should he make the first cut -- the roster will be sliced to about 15 when camp picks up in New York early next month, and 12 players will represent the U.S. at the world championships in Turkey beginning Aug. 28 -- Rondo says he will continue to try to make the team.

"I definitely want to be there," Rondo said. "This is a unique experience."

and

"Rondo expressed his excitement via Twitter: “Playing for Team USA this summer. Looking forward to repping our country."

"He's a phenomenal player" - Kevin Durant. 

Ric Bucher: "in Wed's Team USA scrimmage Rondo threw a 30-ft reverse-spin bounce pass that was vintage Paul."

and

""First of all, I love his ball pressure and his tenacity," Coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He and Westbrook are elite in that. As a point guard if you're putting on that pressure, the very first thing is you want guys playing passing lanes behind you. If we can coordinate that denial, and everyone is out in the passing lanes instead of playing back, maybe you can hedge and maybe you can gamble a little bit more."

Of course, Rondo might not even make the team, there are a bunch of excellent point guards trying out for the 12 man roster (there will be more chances to make the team later). 

But, in the meantime, might be nice for the puds and duds of the world to take chips off shoulder and grow up a little. Using someone's desire to play for Team USA as a sign of their immaturity is one of the weaker arguments ever used on this board.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

What a bunch of old farts!  It used to be that people didn't become old farts until they were in the their 60s - now it's infected people in their 30s! I LOVE NBA basketball, now more than ever.  I've watched almost every game the Celtics have played since I returned to Boston in 1990 - good seasons and bad seasons alike.  I bleed green - have since the days of Russell and Cousy.  The skill level of today's players is far superior to that of bygone days, and the coaching is far superior.  Expansion has been more than offset by the globalization of basketball, which has resulted in a far greater talent pool.  Defense is much, much better than that played years ago.  It has gotten more sophisticated, and is played much harder (by the better teams) than in the past.  And it is still the part of basketball that is least understood or appreciated by most fans.   Analytic tools, for both professionals and fans, are far superior to what was available in the past.  It's too bad that the vast majority of fans are too lazy to understand or use them.   NBA officiating is no worse than it's been since the late '50s - when refs were criticized just as viciously as they are now.  And that's despite the fact that the game has become more sophisticated and the players more athletic. The tendency of fans to think that somehow they deserve loyalty from the players, when the fans don't give it in return, is ludicrous.  Even worse is fans' expectation that players should be willing to earn less so as to stay with the fans' favorite team - this from people who would give two weeks notice one second after getting a better offer from another company. Worse yet is the outrage with which so many fans and sports writers have greeted the latest development in the game - players using their free agent rights to play with their friends for less money, rather than passively rolling over and accepting the power of the owners like a bunch of indentured servants. Go watch the "purity" of college basketball if you want - a system rife with cheating and the exploitation of players for the benefit of coaches and the schools.  I prefer to watch the best game in the world played at its highest level by the best players.
    Posted by jerrycole

Nice rant, but just saying it don't make it so.

I disagree with a great many of your assumptions and wonder if you are just blind to the flaws so obvious to so many others or else just wish to assert your contrarian credentials.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to What is happening to the NBA?:
    What is going on with this league? And I'm not even talking about the dire officiating issue that has turned the league into a joke. This league has been getting progressively softer since the 80s. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lebron James is the perfect example of how much the NBA has changed. The 5 step layups/dunks through the paint, that he lives on? In the 80s he would pull that garbage and either get called for a travel or knocked on his butt before he even got the chance to lay it in. And there would be no call. Unlike now, where you don't even have to touch him to get whistled. All he has to do is miss a layup. The NBA culture is conditioning players to be mentally soft. David Stern has essentially legislated toughness out of the game. Guys like Paul Pierce, Steve Nash and even Kobe Bryant are dinosaurs. They are a dying breed. Guys that just want to win. Guys that s uck it up when the going gets tough instead of running away and hiding. In so many ways Lebron is the poster child of the new NBA. Everybody wants to make excuses for LeBron. We want to pretend that the Cavs weren't good enough. That he didn't have enough help. But the fact of the matter is that it was Lebron that wasn't good enough. He didn't have the mental toughness to take that team on his back and win a title the way Jordan, Bird, Pierce or Kobe would have. So he quit, hoping to ride someone else's coattails to a championship. The latest player to punk out is Chris Paul- a supremely talented point guard. He can pass, shoot run the break and flat out score. He has the total package. The only hole in his game is unfotunately the most important part: Heart, mental toughness. When the going gets tough, Chris Paul gives up. That's the kind of guy he is. The problem is, there are a lot of Chris Pauls in the league now. Whatever happened to sticking it out? Stepping up, growing a pair and being a man. Instead of running away as soon as it becomes hard? Pathetic. Now he is going to play next season with a bunch of guys he called out. By demanding a trade, he basically said none of his teammates are good enough to play with him. If you were a Hornets player would you want to play with this guy next year? I wouldn't.
    Posted by dafoe

I agree with the others that you should send an edited version of this post to the NBA.  You definitely make a lot of good points and if many others did the same thing, especially about the officiating getting progressively worse every year.  This is definitely one of the best threads that I have read in a long-time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to What is happening to the NBA? : Let me get this straight, it's the NBA fault that guys like LeBron and Chris Paul want to exercise their free agent rights and play wherever they please?  What's your solution, force players to "Stick it out" with their old teams?  So KG should have "toughed it out" in Minnesota instead of teaming up with Allen and Pierce in Boston?  Should Ray Allen have "gutted out" with Seattle instead of chasing a ring with the Celtics?  Just admit that you're pissed because the Celtics lost to the Lakers.  Otherwise, this thread never sees the light of day.
    Posted by victorlee1234

Your reasoning is just pathetic.  Who said anything about anything being the NBA's fault.  He was writing about the NBA culture and how players have become soft and yes, they want to win, but they want to win the easy way, by tampering and colluding and teaming up.  The NBA is deeply flawed, that is the premise of this thread.  Nothing you wrote addressed that assertion. 

And your wild assumption about the poster just being pissed because the C's lost reveals a juvenile mind at work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveStigmatic. Show SteveStigmatic's posts

Well it could work either way. We tell LeBron that he is being a baby for wanting to leave a situation but we praise Kevin Garnett for coming to beantown. Don't get me wrong I agree that the league is soft and I have always hated LeBron, but who cares if super teams form, and when should it be acceptable for a player to want to leave?

When a player has wasted his prime, is it then okay for a player to walk away?

Kevin Garnett requested a trade much in the mannierism CHris Paul did, why because he has a desire to win.

I get the whole hating LeBron thing but I don't think its fair to rip apart a player and say he isn't a man just because he wants to play for another team.

Karl Malone and Stockton stayed with their teams forever and they never recieved a ring, sure we praise them as the greats but they'll never have a championship. We all accepted Malone's descision to chase a championship, why because at that point we felt sorry for him and realized he put in the work with his old team and few people challenged his mental toughness.

Basically once you stay with a team for 15plus years then it's okay to leave?

That's just dumb, why wait for luck when you can make things happen?

Everyone who plays in the NBA is for the part talented, it's not like the rest of the teams are part of the WNBA.

So Jordan stuck with one team...good for him, but he was in a big market, he was able to capalize on his stardom

LeBron, Bosh, and CP3 are just smart to realize that hey for every JOrdan, Pierce, David Robinson  that comes around and hopes, waits, dreams of a championship, it might not happen, just how it happened to loyal players like Stockton, Ewing,  Malone who won't win.  you have players like Kevin Garnett who opt not to stay with the team forever and get things done and win a championship

that said I hate any team that isn't Boston! CELTICS 2011 CHAMPIONS!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Maybe this thread should have been called "The Decline of Western Civilization", because, after all, the NBA is just a microcosm of society at large.  Having lived in the Far East for a number of years I can still experience the joys of hard work, integrity, teamwork and yes, even loyalty.  Some things should never go out of style.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

Maybe this thread should have been called "The Decline of Western Civilization", because, after all, the NBA is just a microcosm of society at large.  Having lived in the Far East for a number of years I can still experience the joys of hard work, integrity, teamwork and yes, even loyalty.  Some things should never go out of style.
    Posted by henryfinkel

What have you been reading over there, the Communist Manifesto?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : Horrible analogy.  Allen and Garnett were TRADED to the Celtics, not a choice.  MeBron chose to go to Mia.  I have no problem with his going there, he was a Free Agent, BUT he should have told the Cavs he wasn't coming back.  That was just wrong.  NOW, Pierce and Allen were Free Agents this past off-season, they CHOSE to come back, at a discount.  Strike two on your analogy.  You are a lakers troll, so Strike 3!!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

You're kidding right?  So Garnett didn't demand a trade (his choice) and wanted out of Minnesota?  So Allen was forced to go to Boston, against his will?  Please.

So LeBron should've told the CAVS he was coming back?  You're losing sleep over this?  I didn't know you were so concerned.

So Pierce and Allen came back at a discount.  Is it because no one else wanted to pay them like Boston?

Are you normally this gullible or is this a special occasion?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : You're kidding right?  So Garnett didn't demand a trade (his choice) and wanted out of Minnesota?  So Allen was forced to go to Boston, against his will?  Please. So LeBron should've told the CAVS he was coming back?  You're losing sleep over this?  I didn't know you were so concerned. So Pierce and Allen came back at a discount.  Is it because no one else wanted to pay them like Boston? Are you normally this gullible or is this a special occasion?
    Posted by victorlee1234

NO, you're kidding.  KG or Chris Paul "demanding" a trade is all a joke.   The team doesn't have to trade them if they don't want to.  Paul has a better than 50% chance of staying in NO this year.  What's he going to do, NOT show up?  KG approved the trade to Boston, that is true, but they could have sent him anywhere they wanted.  They could have traded him for Bynum and Odumb if they really wanted. Leaving via Free Agency and being traded are two different things.  The only two people in the league who have no trade clauses are Dirk and koME, and they just got them in their new contracts.  KG was a 5 for 1 deal (they Godfatered him)  Ray Allen also had no choice, but was happy to go to Boston.  The 3 Stooges all went to MIA because they had the most cap room.  If CLE had the most cap room, they would have gone there, CHI, same thing.  And YES, after 7 years of being the face of the franchise, MeBron SHOULD have called Dan Gilbert and informed him of his "decision."  Actually, IMO, he should have told the Cavs, "Larry, Shemp and I all want to play together.  If you can clear enough cap space, I will try to bring them to CLE."  That would have been the right thing to do.  I have NO problem with what he did, just the way he did it!

Leave me alone now, victoria, you're out of your league!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

I think that we all can agree that LeBron did not handle the move well, especially not telling Gilbert his intentions. But, no way were Wade and Bosh coming to Cleveland. And, it is not just money. Compare South Beach to Lake Erie and the Cleveland winters--which is when most of the NBA season takes place. Warm weather and nightlife will always be factors in a player's choice of employment.
    Posted by ControllerMod

I agree with your post, but hear me out for a second.  Suppose CLE was the ONLY city that could have 3 max contracts.  Isn't there the slightest possibility MeBron would have tried to get them all there?  And I maintain, if MIA didn't have room for all 3, he'd still be in CLE!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

When Stern retires it will be a joyous day.
    Posted by BiasLewis

2nd that. Maybe Stern will go to the WWE. Vince could use Stern.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Stern could not even see the writing on the wall. Teams dumping $$$ knowing a big free agent pool was coming up. Players getting together in the same year with expiring contracts. The NBA officals have totally gone down the toilet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

I think it's time disgruntled fans look into bringing a Class Action Suit against the NBA to put pressure on them to reform.  I'm putting a blog together about it just to get the ball rolling.

I wonder if you have to tread lightly on critiquing the NBA in this forum because when I put a post up on the tainted championship thread, laying out my plan for a class action suit, it was removed.

Big Brother is watching.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : I accept your point on if Cleveland was the ONLY city with a 3 max potential. I do not think that LeBron was going to stay in Cleveland under any circumstances. His play against the Celtics showed it, although the Celtics had a lot to do with it. Chi, NJ, and NY were all possible. Whether it was the Delonte West thing or his not getting any support (Mo Williams and Shaq were the only All-Stars--and I use the term lightly wrt their performances in Cleveland) that he played with while in Cleveland. Kobe has Pau. PP has KG and Rondo and RA. Wade had Shaq when he was still at an All-Star level. Nash had Amare. Duncan has Parker and Manu. That will be a weak team minus LeBron. Cleveland's failure to get something for Szerbiak's (I know the spelling is wrong) expiring or to get Amare instead of Jamison, doomed the Cavs. And a lot was made this past week by MJ and Magic about not calling each other to play together. Remember that Magic Johnson would have stayed another year at Michigan State if his draft pick had been won by the Chicago Bulls, instead of the Kareem-in-waiting Lakers. Same deal. He wanted to play with other great players.
    Posted by ControllerMod

'
    LBJ didnt want Amare, so jamison not working out like he thought was his fault. Didnt Cleveland have the best record for two straight seasons?  Same roster that created the best record folds in the playoffs?  He cant complain about not having help, maybe he just isnt as good as the media and a lot of people think.  overhyped from the beginning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I think it's time disgruntled fans look into bringing a Class Action Suit against the NBA to put pressure on them to reform.  I'm putting a blog together about it just to get the ball rolling. I wonder if you have to tread lightly on critiquing the NBA in this forum because when I put a post up on the tainted championship thread, laying out my plan for a class action suit, it was removed. Big Brother is watching.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Ski:

Its time disgruntled fans start their own forum and work on their halarious Class Action Suit against the NBA over at their own cyber-place where Big Brother won't be watching.

Besides, You're wearing out your welcome here... fast!

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

DUDE , THE GOOD OL' DAYS OF AMERICAN SPORTS ARE OVER.....IT'S ALL ABOUT THE......"F-A-N-T-A-S-Y-" FROM NOW ON......IT'S SAD ,BUT TRUE.....FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE......"WHO'S ON YOUR FANTASY TEAM?"........."scottie beam me up"...................

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

F0CK THIS SHEET!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What a bunch of old farts!  It used to be that people didn't become old farts until they were in the their 60s - now it's infected people in their 30s! I LOVE NBA basketball, now more than ever.  I've watched almost every game the Celtics have played since I returned to Boston in 1990 - good seasons and bad seasons alike.  I bleed green - have since the days of Russell and Cousy.  The skill level of today's players is far superior to that of bygone days, and the coaching is far superior.  Expansion has been more than offset by the globalization of basketball, which has resulted in a far greater talent pool.  Defense is much, much better than that played years ago.  It has gotten more sophisticated, and is played much harder (by the better teams) than in the past.  And it is still the part of basketball that is least understood or appreciated by most fans.   Analytic tools, for both professionals and fans, are far superior to what was available in the past.  It's too bad that the vast majority of fans are too lazy to understand or use them.   NBA officiating is no worse than it's been since the late '50s - when refs were criticized just as viciously as they are now.  And that's despite the fact that the game has become more sophisticated and the players more athletic. The tendency of fans to think that somehow they deserve loyalty from the players, when the fans don't give it in return, is ludicrous.  Even worse is fans' expectation that players should be willing to earn less so as to stay with the fans' favorite team - this from people who would give two weeks notice one second after getting a better offer from another company. Worse yet is the outrage with which so many fans and sports writers have greeted the latest development in the game - players using their free agent rights to play with their friends for less money, rather than passively rolling over and accepting the power of the owners like a bunch of indentured servants. Go watch the "purity" of college basketball if you want - a system rife with cheating and the exploitation of players for the benefit of coaches and the schools.  I prefer to watch the best game in the world played at its highest level by the best players.
    Posted by jerrycole

I don't agree with everything you say, but some of your points are certainly true.  The influx of players from around the world one of the reasons the NBA still manages to hold my interest.  Why?  Because I think a lot of foreign players play the game how it used to be played and don't come across as me-first guys looking to establish their "brand", a term that should be reserved for Coca Cola and other corporate giants.  It's more compelling to watch guys like Tony Parker, Ginobili, Varejao, Yao Ming, Nowitzki and Gasol establish themselves in the league than to watch another one year college guy with full body art come into the league and expect star status from day 1 because he's been treated like Jordan his whole life.  There is so much hype that accompanies these guys, and some are very hard to root for.    

The superior skill level and athleticism of today's NBA player may be true, but it doesn't always translate into watchability.  Most guys in the NBA are freakish athletes, fewer and fewer are basketball players worth watching in my opinion.   Free agency -- no one begrudges these guys making the most money they can in their relatively short careers.  But the LeBron debacle is the worst example of a player leaving his team in the most unflattering and selfish way possible.  How can anyone cheer that guy after that sickening tribute to himself?

I am no basketball purist.  But it seems that today the NBA is about lots of things other than winning games.       

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : I laugh every time I see this!!!  Rondowski has a future as a stand-up comedian!!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

-

And you have a future as a heckler.

-

This is well said:

" Most guys in the NBA are freakish athletes, fewer and fewer are basketball players worth watching in my opinion.   Free agency -- no one begrudges these guys making the most money they can in their relatively short careers.  But the LeBron debacle is the worst example of a player leaving his team in the most unflattering and selfish way possible.  How can anyone cheer that guy after that sickening tribute to himself?"

Agreed, and thanks for sticking to the topic, making a good point and not engaging in personal attacks.  Anyone interested in joining me in putting pressure on the NBA to reform is welcome to join me in my efforts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : I don't agree with everything you say, but some of your points are certainly true.  The influx of players from around the world one of the reasons the NBA still manages to hold my interest.  Why?  Because I think a lot of foreign players play the game how it used to be played and don't come across as me-first guys looking to establish their "brand", a term that should be reserved for Coca Cola and other corporate giants.  It's more compelling to watch guys like Tony Parker, Ginobili, Varejao, Yao Ming, Nowitzki and Gasol establish themselves in the league than to watch another one year college guy with full body art come into the league and expect star status from day 1 because he's been treated like Jordan his whole life.  There is so much hype that accompanies these guys, and some are very hard to root for.     The superior skill level and athleticism of today's NBA player may be true, but it doesn't always translate into watchability.  Most guys in the NBA are freakish athletes, fewer and fewer are basketball players worth watching in my opinion.   Free agency -- no one begrudges these guys making the most money they can in their relatively short careers.  But the LeBron debacle is the worst example of a player leaving his team in the most unflattering and selfish way possible.  How can anyone cheer that guy after that sickening tribute to himself? I am no basketball purist.  But it seems that today the NBA is about lots of things other than winning games.       
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

You got so much great content into one post, I got to pull another quote:

"It's more compelling to watch guys like Tony Parker, Ginobili, Varejao, Yao Ming, Nowitzki and Gasol establish themselves in the league than to watch another one year college guy with full body art come into the league and expect star status from day 1 because he's been treated like Jordan his whole life.  There is so much hype that accompanies these guys, and some are very hard to root for."

Many people believe that it is the advent of AAU basketball that has caused a big change in American basketball, and the AAU is where the attitudes and dynamics you mention in your post gain a foothold.

I've read enough about the AAU system to believe that there is more than a grain of truth to this.

Sections
Shortcuts