What is Jeff Green?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

What is Jeff Green?

Jeff Green Can: Power through contact, elevate, finish in transition, adjust his shot in mid air, knock down open shots, catch and shoot, shoot off the dribble, turnaround shoot from the post, shoot off-balance, shoot off the wrong foot, switch hands on the drive, beat his man down the court in transition

Jeff Green Cannot: Use a quick first step to get by defenders, be creative off the dribble and on the drive, anticipate charges, dribble through traffic, anticipate alley-oops, drive and kick, find teammates off the dribble, entry pass, contest rebounds

TLDR: Jeff is an amazing athlete with finesse, but isn't a smart basketball player

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Re: What is Jeff Green?

He needs to learn to drive, stop or step back and pop.  I think that would really add to his offense.  His all out drives can become too predictable and wild at times.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

This is why I think the Celtics and Rondo are torn on Jeff. He is the best athlete on the team by far and does a lot of things well. He just has a very low BBIQ. He essentially has the physical tools to be 90% of Lebron if he just had the mental capacity. 

Rondo is said to enjoy playing with both guys with high BBIQ and guys that are athelitic enough to finish in transition and at the rim. I know most of you have given up on Green, but I strongly believe the Celtics play out the next year with him on this team because they want to see if Stevens can show Jeff that he needs to add some basic elements to his game to take it to the next level.

Seriously, if Jeff's homework for the summer consisted of three things, he would be a lot better:

1. Learn how to avoid charges (via eurostep, anticipation of the defense and use of angles)

2. Learn how to dish the ball (especially to the corners) off the drive

3. Work on a quick first step (off the in-motion catch and stationary)

Screw the rebouding. Its never going to happen. Just learn those three things and you will be that solid third option

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He needs to learn to drive, stop or step back and pop.  I think that would really add to his offense.  His all out drives can become too predictable and wild at times.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. YES. YES!

Honestly, he has both those moves. You've seen the step back jumper from Jeff. You've seen the drive. Just combine the two and learn to do that when you see a charge coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

I might be completely off base here but I wonder if Jeff's heart surgery has taken some competitive fire away from him? When you have a near death experience or what could have been, it makes you look at life differently and that could lead to a more relaxed attitude about life {Basketball included}. I am not being a jerk here....just an observation. Or maybe life growing up was just way to easy for him as he was a rich kid and like $ Mayweather says: Rich kids don't fight. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

In response to celticelmo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I might be completely off base here but I wonder if Jeff's heart surgery has taken some competitive fire away from him? When you have a near death experience or what could have been, it makes you look at life differently and that could lead to a more relaxed attitude about life {Basketball included}. I am not being a jerk here....just an observation. Or maybe life growing up was just way to easy for him as he was a rich kid and like $ Mayweather says: Rich kids don't fight. 

look back at his career. he's never had any fight in him. if anything those experience would have an opposite effect and make people get the most out of life and their career... not JEFF GREEN!!!

[/QUOTE]

He very may well be the player that we see now for the rest of his career and that is a shame because he has some tools. And not to sting you 9-11 but my money is on that scenerio. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

An overpaid remnant of the team's foolish decision to extend KG/PP for the 2012-13 season.  Ditto for Brandon Bass.

Other consequences of that decision were the terrible contracts (Wallace, Bogans) the Cs took on in the megadeal with the Nets.

What made that decision worse, was that the Cs assumed Ray Allen would return. When he bolted to Miami, the Cs management had an egg facial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

He's a tall, lithe, coordinated, 6'9" guy with big hands who can also run fast and jump high. These attributes are natural gifts.

Having been introduced to basketball, he also learned how to shoot a jump shot and dribble in a straight line. And that's just about where it stopped.

Seriously, that's it. Anything else that he might have added to his 'game' beyond natural gifts, he hasn't. He hasn't learned to do anything that he wasn't born with.

Ballhandling: he routinely bounces balls off his own feet, leg, etc; he can't change direction even once on any drives to the basket; he dribbles the ball way too high and gets picked; he has no crossover or hesitation move; in transition, if not ahead of the pack, he can't speed dribble

Passing: he's an awful passer, not even a break even one; he's an upperbody passer who gets little or no help from his legs/body; makes virtually no plays for teammates via pass

Rebounding: the less said about this, the better, but how do you digest 'the most naturally, athletically gifted' and arguably the second tallest player you have cruising to 2-3 rebound games? Pressey gets that many per minutes he plays.

Defense: individually, on the ball, he breaks even, and, yes, he can kick in natural gifts for the occasional spectacular run-down block; but as an off the ball and team defender, he is bad; he gets too easily lost; he floats; he turns his head and sometimes his whole body; put him into a pick and roll and he's he's a mess; as the off guy supporting the two pick and roll defenders, he routinely is not there; last night against ATL he and Bass defending pick and roll looked like Laurel and Hardy in a revolving door, and individually, Green just flat out lost Korver and Carroll numerous times.

Floor sense: nearly none; on offense, unless he has the ball in his hands, he seems not only disengaged and unaware but also disinterested in what's going on around him; defensively slow to loose balls, rebounds

Is he a nice guy? Looks like it. Does he merit our admiration for his ability to come back from heart surgery? You bet. Is he naturally gifted? Yes.

Is he a natural, intuitive basketball player? No. Can he start and be a reliable scorer, defender, passer, rebounder on a championship team? No. 

Can he be a handy player 8-9 on such a team? Yes, if you can live with the things he can't do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Monday morning QB I know but I wish we had kept Perkins and never made the trade. I think we did it also because we also got 7' C  Krstic and I don't know how many games he played---went to Europe, I think. Another guy we let go was Nate Robinson...I still fondly remember him and Big Baby( ugh...was drooling in the photo) when they were call Shrek  & Donkey after Game 5 when we went in to LA up 3-2 &, unfortunately, Perk got hurt in game 6. Robinson is only 5'9" but he has played well for GS, Chicago & now Denver & averages about 10 pts in an off the bench roll. I'd rather have had him then Pressey & Bayless. Anyway, this is all a moot point and what is most frustrating is that at times Green has moves like MJ, Kobe etc.but other times he just stands around seemly unmotivated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamar. Show hedleylamar's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Monday morning QB I know but I wish we had kept Perkins and never made the trade. I think we did it also because we also got 7' C  Krstic and I don't know how many games he played---went to Europe, I think. Another guy we let go was Nate Robinson...I still fondly remember him and Big Baby( ugh...was drooling in the photo) when they were call Shrek  & Donkey after Game 5 when we went in to LA up 3-2 &, unfortunately, Perk got hurt in game 6. Robinson is only 5'9" but he has played well for GS, Chicago & now Denver & averages about 10 pts in an off the bench roll. I'd rather have had him then Pressey & Bayless. Anyway, this is all a moot point and what is most frustrating is that at times Green has moves like MJ, Kobe etc.but other times he just stands around seemly unmotivated.

[/QUOTE]

I remember that too. Very good times,,, until those final games were played.

Oh well!

Stay chill!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to celticelmo's comment:

Jeff Green is a Force of Nurture

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamar. Show hedleylamar's posts

I also like Jeff Green but I don like his inconsistent play. Bring it every night Jeff!

Stay chill!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

jeff green is complete garbage. he cost me a lot of money today with that bone headed turnover with 8 seconds left in the game down by 6. then he misses a 3 pt. guy needs to go. C's would have covered the +7.5 points if not for that scrub.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...in the most pithy way possible:

JEFF GREEN SUCKS!!!

DA's worst move ever!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1 and some!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Jeff is a player who brings his A game every 4 games or so. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I call Jeff Green, Mr. October.

Because he plays every game like it's preseason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I call Jeff Green, Mr. October.

Because he plays every game like it's preseason.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Nice Chris33. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Jeff Green... if he's your best player (us w/o Rondo) or scorer (us) your team is garbage.

If he's your second scorer... still suck

third.. you can make the playoffs consistently

fourth... could win a round in the playoffs

fifth... could be a contender

six.... major contender.

If Jeff Green is our sixth man in 3-4 years (granted he's still here), we are most likely contenders imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to hedleylamar's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh well!

Stay chill!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Nate Robinson's stay in Boston should have been longer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamar. Show hedleylamar's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh well!

Stay chill!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My personal thought is that Perk and big baby should have been retained. You never break up a championship team until they are all too old and it is obvious that they have no shot. I think back to the 2011 Mavs and wonder what Mark Cuban was thinking with Tyson Chandler.

Stay chill!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh well!

Stay chill!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My personal thought is that Perk and big baby should have been retained. You never break up a championship team until they are all too old and it is obvious that they have no shot. I think back to the 2011 Mavs and wonder what Mark Cuban was thinking with Tyson Chandler.

Stay chill!

[/QUOTE]

Ya know...I agree with you that we should have kept Perk, Big Baby( many negative posts at the time that he was too short at 6'8", too fat etc.) but he was a scrapper and I'd preferred him instead of Wallace, Bass & Green and also we'd kept Nate Robinson & we might have won #18. We lost to LA because Perk went down and oops to bring up the egregious # of foul shots in game 7 were 41 to 18 and LA got 21 just in the 4th Qtr when we had a 13 pt lead end of the 3rd. Sorry to open old wounds. And, KG, PP & RA might all still be in Green.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a tall, lithe, coordinated, 6'9" guy with big hands who can also run fast and jump high. These attributes are natural gifts.

Having been introduced to basketball, he also learned how to shoot a jump shot and dribble in a straight line. And that's just about where it stopped.

Seriously, that's it. Anything else that he might have added to his 'game' beyond natural gifts, he hasn't. He hasn't learned to do anything that he wasn't born with.

Ballhandling: he routinely bounces balls off his own feet, leg, etc; he can't change direction even once on any drives to the basket; he dribbles the ball way too high and gets picked; he has no crossover or hesitation move; in transition, if not ahead of the pack, he can't speed dribble

Passing: he's an awful passer, not even a break even one; he's an upperbody passer who gets little or no help from his legs/body; makes virtually no plays for teammates via pass

Rebounding: the less said about this, the better, but how do you digest 'the most naturally, athletically gifted' and arguably the second tallest player you have cruising to 2-3 rebound games? Pressey gets that many per minutes he plays.

Defense: individually, on the ball, he breaks even, and, yes, he can kick in natural gifts for the occasional spectacular run-down block; but as an off the ball and team defender, he is bad; he gets too easily lost; he floats; he turns his head and sometimes his whole body; put him into a pick and roll and he's he's a mess; as the off guy supporting the two pick and roll defenders, he routinely is not there; last night against ATL he and Bass defending pick and roll looked like Laurel and Hardy in a revolving door, and individually, Green just flat out lost Korver and Carroll numerous times.

Floor sense: nearly none; on offense, unless he has the ball in his hands, he seems not only disengaged and unaware but also disinterested in what's going on around him; defensively slow to loose balls, rebounds

Is he a nice guy? Looks like it. Does he merit our admiration for his ability to come back from heart surgery? You bet. Is he naturally gifted? Yes.

Is he a natural, intuitive basketball player? No. Can he start and be a reliable scorer, defender, passer, rebounder on a championship team? No. 

Can he be a handy player 8-9 on such a team? Yes, if you can live with the things he can't do.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post!

Sections
Shortcuts