what is our #1 need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: what is our #1 need?

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

In response to kaktug's comment:

is it a legit 7-foot center who can defend the rim and rebound?

is it a legit 2 who can hit from deep and space the floor?

is it a 3 who is more consistent and more of a scoring threat night in/night out?

i believe we are set (as is) at the 1 and the 4. trades can change any of that. i believe we have a serviceable 3. therefore, i think we need a 5 or a 2 more than anything else. i like bradley at the 2, but i like him off the bench. i don't think he's a legit enough scorer to be our starter at the 2, although he has certainly made strides. maybe that leaves me thinking that the 5 is by far our biggest need, with the other positions serviceable but certainly upgradable.

all of that said, do we go all in on a guy like embiid if we're confident in his health, maybe even moving up to take him if necessary?

For once, I agree.  We're totally set at the 1 and 4.  We have a servicable 3.  What shall we do?

I'd pass on Embiid.  His back's busted because he's a complete push-over.  WCS, the poorman's Embiid, is also a lightweight.  Can't picture either of them as a franchise C.

=================================

I agree about passing on Embiid and I am not in love with any other Center choices.

We have 2 first round picks coming up and then we have 10 draft picks in next couple of years.  Maybe we could trade a few for an Omer Asik and also another  Vet or two to play with our other  2 first round picks this year and Rondo, Sully, Oly, Bradley etc. I'd unload Wallace, if possible, and Bass and Green too. I believe any of the rookie forwards we draft to sub for Oly & Sully will be better that these 3 players. I like Hump but  feel he'll be gone.

Can someone answer me this: if we draft a player who is a not a senior and declares eligibility and then decides to stay in school, do we keep the pick until the player graduates or can we trade the pick etc.

I believe that once a player declares for the draft and signs with an agent he can no longer play NCAA basketball.....and the team owns his rights until the next draft...someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the rule

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

#1 Need is a dominant low post scorer, rebounder, shot blocker.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The best talent available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The best talent available.

Correct, it's the best talent available when it's your teams pick.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

In response

Can someone answer me this: if we draft a player who is a not a senior and declares eligibility and then decides to stay in school, do we keep the pick until the player graduates or can we trade the pick etc.

[/QUOTE]

I believe that once a player declares for the draft and signs with an agent he can no longer play NCAA basketball.....and the team owns his rights until the next draft...someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the rule

[/QUOTE]

Correct.  The moment someone officially declares for teh NBA draft they forfeit any remaining eligibility to play in the NCAA. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

In response to kaktug's comment:

is it a legit 7-foot center who can defend the rim and rebound?

is it a legit 2 who can hit from deep and space the floor?

is it a 3 who is more consistent and more of a scoring threat night in/night out?

i believe we are set (as is) at the 1 and the 4. trades can change any of that. i believe we have a serviceable 3. therefore, i think we need a 5 or a 2 more than anything else. i like bradley at the 2, but i like him off the bench. i don't think he's a legit enough scorer to be our starter at the 2, although he has certainly made strides. maybe that leaves me thinking that the 5 is by far our biggest need, with the other positions serviceable but certainly upgradable.

all of that said, do we go all in on a guy like embiid if we're confident in his health, maybe even moving up to take him if necessary?

For once, I agree.  We're totally set at the 1 and 4.  We have a servicable 3.  What shall we do?

I'd pass on Embiid.  His back's busted because he's a complete push-over.  WCS, the poorman's Embiid, is also a lightweight.  Can't picture either of them as a franchise C.

===============================

I agfree about passing on Embiid and I'm not in love with any other Center.

We have 2 first round picks coming up and then we have 10 draft picks in next couple of years.  Maybe we could trade a few for an Omer Asik and some other Vets to play with our other 2 first round picks and Rondo, Sully, Oly, Bradley etc. I'd unload Wallace, if possible, and Bass and Green too. I believe any of the rookie forwards we draft to sub for Oly & Sully will be better that these 3 players. I like Hump but feel he'll be gone. Then hope to draft a Center next year !!!

you serious, clark? it is impossible for us to draft a player who then decides to go back to school. they have to make that decision well before the draft takes place.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[/QUOTE]

you serious, clark? it is impossible for us to draft a player who then decides to go back to school. they have to make that decision well before the draft takes place.

[/QUOTE]

I assume the question is about NCAA eligibility because anyone can decide to stay in school and get a degee. After a certain date of declaration, April 29th, they cannot play under NCAA rules - the NBA uses May 2 to list underclassmen who have declared.  No more "testing the waters" or working out for teams and then deciding to stay and play another year.  It's now a  declare and no return post-April 29th system.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to anguskahn's comment:

In response

Correct.  The moment someone officially declares for teh NBA draft they forfeit any remaining eligibility to play in the NCAA. 

i believe that rule was put into effect after Red drafted Larry Bird a year early.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

We need to get a physical skilled center that blocks shots and start  Kells at power forward.

Sullinger will likely have to be moved to make this happen.

Kells is on a Nowitzki-like level potential-wise. 

2 quality 6-10 or taller starters in your frontcourt is the foundation for wins nowadays.

Quality 6-9's and under should be coming off the bench at pf/c for championship level teams it seems.

That center should be Marc Gasol.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Clearly center is our most pressing need and its not even close.

I agree with most that we are set at the 1 and 4. Our 2 and 3 spots are adequate for a low playoff seed (500  team). Ab and jgreen arent the best sg and sf but they arent the worst either, Id consider them both mid level starters top 18 at their positions.

I just dont see anyone in the draft or free agency that we could REALISTICALLY get at the 2 or 3 that are better than what we already have.  This is even more true of the point guard position where so many fans are anxious to jettison our best player.

I believe DA feels that rondo and ab is our starting backourt of the future. Jgren and gwallace both have 2 years left after this season, both are most likely traded after next season as expiring contracts so the 3 spot is a position where we could start developing young talent (aaron gordon?).

My 2 picks

sf:gordon

C: WCS

Both provide very good size for their positions, great athletism, both above avg defenders and both fit positions of need.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Players like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaqPxsZwUY

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yes, we need a tall, strong athletic center with a low post game and the ability to rebound, throw sharp and accurate outlet passes and protect the rim...

We also need a stop to these Rube Goldberg, crazy as_ed propsed trades until draft night...please....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

We need to get a physical skilled center that blocks shots and start  Kells at power forward.

Sullinger will likely have to be moved to make this happen.

Kells is on a Nowitzki-like level potential-wise. 

2 quality 6-10 or taller starters in your frontcourt is the foundation for wins nowadays.

Quality 6-9's and under should be coming off the bench at pf/c for championship level teams it seems.

That center should be Marc Gasol.

We'll take a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward or center as long as they are the best player in the draft.  Great prospects you can trade for great players that you need now.

Gasol's not the answer at center...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

What do we need?  How about cap space to beable to afford an impact FA of SOMESORT?  How about a ton of luck with the ping pong balls?  There is NOBODY on this team that really is safe for next year.  Sure Oly and Sully are good....but they wont be great.  They would simply be role players on a good team and probably not starters.  This team needs luck and flexibility most.  If DA is given that then I have full confidence that he cold start laying down the foundation for a good team (not great team) in the next few years.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need a 5 and a 2 most, put our pg is a free agent next year.

PF is the only position the Celtics are set at and the only one they have depth at beyond next year.

Sully and Oly are the only two guys on the team that I would bet would still be here after next season.

The Celtics need 13 guys.

+1, maybe.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Obviously the #1 need is a Center.  And I think if the C's don't receive any luck from the pingpong ball gods, that they have enough resources to trade up for Embiid if they really want him.

Let's face it, Embiid isn't Shaq, he's not Anthony Davis, and he comes with a lot of risk.  He is there for the taking.  If DA wants him badly enough, I'm sure he'll get him.

The same can be said with Asik, Monroe, Gortat.  They're all right there.  We'll just have to wait and see who DA wants the most.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

gortat and asik are guys you sign when you're a player away. we're not a player away. or even a year away. unless something crazy happens and we end up with a guy like love, there's no need to invest $ in older players like gortat or asik.

i generally agree with most of you that the 5 is our biggest position of need. if we can somehow manage to land embiid and then land a SG with our second pick, i will consider that a successful draft.

regardless, it should be an interesting summer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Gortat and Asik are guys you sign when you're a player away?  How do you figure?  Guys you sign when you're a player away are typically guys like The Birdman, Nate Robinson, Junior Seau.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

neither is a star. And both are getting older, especially gortat. We're probably building thru the draft, so we won't need guys like that for a couple of years. Unless, like I said, we some how land a superstar and then need some role players. Asik and gortat are role players. They are robins to someone else's batman. We need batman. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

We need to either do one of the following things, 

1) Draft Julius Randle 

2) Trade your top pick, a future first, and a player (green) (Bass) for a star player. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts