What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?!

Interesting stat:

If you add up the point totals from the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarters, the game was a tie.  Miami by 6 in the first, Celtics by 1 in the 3rd, Celtics by 5 in the 4th.  It's that 2nd Qtr rearing its ugly head once again.  Earlier this year Capt. Paul said "we must be the worst 2nd qtr team in the league."  It's really frustrating cuz it's almost like clockwork it happens so much.  The freaking bench has to get its act together and come into the game READY TO PLAY.  The game went from 20-16, to 28-16 quick and that was essentially the crucial breaking open of the game (not to mention the awful end of the 1st qtr).

No I guess I will mention it.  Glen Davis turned the ball over giving Miami 2 more points to end the 1st qtr and giving the Heat momentum.  When you've got the ball with 19 seconds left in a quarter and the shot clock is off, there is no way in H E L L anybody should be allowed to score but you before the end of that quarter.  Period.  Baby did something similar to that in the Knicks series (can't remember the exact play?).  Between him and Mr. Aloof Jeff Green and Mr. Let's-See-How-I-Can-Get-A-Technical-Today Delonte West that 2nd unit is hurtin' for some intelligent leadership.  Baby's gotta step up and be smarter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?!

mac1980, you make some interesting points.  However, I'm one who believes it's how you start that gets you going and sets that tone.

We scored only 14 points in the first quarter.  Pierce has two quick, early turnovers leading to Miami breaks and that leads to their fast start as much as to our very slow start.  It's like with Pierce bumbling two possessions, that makes him less aggressive for fear of continuing to screw up.  It sort of seemed to take away his aggression.

I also believe we took too many fouls early.  There are times when you can just give up the layup and save that personal and team foul.  It was way too early to simply take fouls.  That put them in the penalty and got them to the free throw stripe early.

We competed after the 1st quarter although our defense was not the best.  I just thought we did not come out prepared and that dug us a hole too deep to climb out of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Oh I agree Petey.  Absolutely with everything you said.  I do think tho that as bad as the start was, the Celtics starters essentially played the Heat starters to a tie.  Miami didn't exactly come out and light the world on fire.  The bench came in for the last few minutes of the 1st qtr and that little stretch that took it from 16-14 to 20-14 was pivotal I thought.  Then the beginning of the 2nd qtr was really bad.  Green was shown on the replays to totally lose Jones for those 3's.  Before you could blink it was 28-16.  I do think that was more important than the poor offensive start by the starters.  But yeah, no question Pierce has to not dribble the ball of his foot twice in the first 7 minutes of the game.  I think Game 2 will be better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?!:
    Oh I agree Petey.  Absolutely with everything you said.  I do think tho that as bad as the start was, the Celtics starters essentially played the Heat starters to a tie.  Miami didn't exactly come out and light the world on fire.  The bench came in for the last few minutes of the 1st qtr and that little stretch that took it from 16-14 to 20-14 was pivotal I thought.  Then the beginning of the 2nd qtr was really bad.  Green was shown on the replays to totally lose Jones for those 3's.  Before you could blink it was 28-16.  I do think that was more important than the poor offensive start by the starters.  But yeah, no question Pierce has to not dribble the ball of his foot twice in the first 7 minutes of the game.  I think Game 2 will be better.
    Posted by mac1980

Another intersting stat. our starters scored 67 points. The heat starters scored 70 points. 

The difference was the bench. Although their was one outlier in regards to bench play and that of course was james Jones scoring 25 points. The rest of the heat had 4 points. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

In Response to Re: What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?!:
    In Response to Re: What is the deal with the Celtics and the 2nd Quarter?! : Another intersting stat. our starters scored 67 points. The heat starters scored 70 points.  The difference was the bench. Although their was one outlier in regards to bench play and that of course was james Jones scoring 25 points. The rest of the heat had 4 points. 
    Posted by jtkl

Yep.  We all know our starters can play much better.  Pierce has to be better, Rondo, KG's gotta score double figures (although his D is so good and Bosh was basically invisible), Ray was great, Jermaine was ok, some good, some bad (it would be nice to see Shaq out there).  But yeah the bench.  They were bad vs. the Knicks and it didn't matter.  This series it matters.  They gotta start taking it personally.  Especially with Baby running his mouth the other day.  Maybe that inspired Mr. Jones a little bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jtkl, I'm sorry but what exactly does your post suggest?  Are you saying that since the Heat starters outscored our starters by only 70 - 67, the difference was the bench?  The Heat bench outscored our bench 29 - 23 and they got 25 of those from one player.  And that player played a majority of his minutes with the starters.

Other than JJ's 25 points, their bench was horrible and worse than ours overall.  I think it was the Celtics starters.  With KG playing the way he played and Rondo never really finding his groove, I think our starters scoring only 67 points says alot about their play.

To beat Miami (who does not have a bench at all), it's not as vital for our bench to be significantly more productive than theirs. Our bench does not need to dominate their bench although you'd expect they would be more productive.

I think it's more of an indictment of the poor play of our starters by your post.  If KG and Rondo bring "anything", our starters dominate their starters and we probably get the win.  But keep in mind Bosh had a subpar game too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

score at the end of the 1st: Heat 21 Celtics 27

score midway thru the 2nd qtr: Heat 38 Celtics 34

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Doc's lineup was atrocious in the second. Just horrible.

Sections
Shortcuts