What is this Celtics team missing?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: What is this Celtics team missing?

We need an interior bulldog!  Someone who loves mixing it up on the boards and in the paint.

We don't have a bruiser.  If Sully were either 30 pounds lighter and had some explosion or 3 inches taller, we'd be all set.

Our bigs want to be "stretches".  KG wants to be a stretch-center and Bass is a mid-stretch-PF.

We rarely get baskets at the rim in the halfcourt.  We could use a Kenneth Faried-type but I'd take Kenyon Martin over Jason Collins right now.  Martin would provide more energy and toughness right now than we're getting from Bass and Sully (consistently).  Also, if Doc's not going to give Collins any minutes, why not bring someone in who can contribute 10-15 minutes per game like Martin can.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Yeah, that is the best approach.  No need to sign Martin until we can see what's going to be out there.

So what happens tomorrow?  Who can be traded?  What happens on January 15?  Who can get traded then?

And when is the trade deadline?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

So we cannot trade our own free agents that we signed in the offseason until January 15 but we can trade players we received in a trade tomorrow?  Is that right because we received Lee via trade.

We got Terry via free agency.  Not that we will, but he can be traded tomorrow too, correct?  Again, not that I would even suggest that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

they are missing AB and a competent big man. 

lee, bass, melo, picks etc. might possibly bring gortat but it will absolutely not get varejao. that will likley take at least Ab and Sullinger and a first rounder and even that might not get er done. as it is, the suns will probably want more than that for gortat so it's going to hurt to acquire either one of these guys. and yet there's really no choice if they hope to make any noise at all this year. simply having Ab return will not be enough. this team is just too weak down low. 

for a team with a lot of veterans there are times when they look very disjointed too often. some of this was all the new guys, but they should be getting some of these things settled by now. more and more it's looking like as comprised this is about a .500 team, maybe a little better. 

pierce and kg are definitely showing their age but can still be effective. pierce is having a harder time adjusting to the downshift in his skills because it's somewhat new to him and we're seeing a lot of bad passes and awkward looking shots from him. pierce has always been a compplainer when it comes to fouls, but this year there are times when he looks like he really cannot believe he's getting his shot blocked and throwing up awful shots on a consistent basis. garnett has obviously already resigned himself to the fact that his body isn't what it was and the substituting pattern to keep him fresh. pierce is going to have to realize he can't do the things he used to do and the team needs to find a way to share last shot responsibilities or find out who the go to guy is down the stretch. pierce cannot do it anymore and there is no more ray to pick up the slack. 

those pining for a superstar are barking up the wrong team. rondo is the star if this team. he's a consensus top 10-15 player and around here that's as good as it's gonna get. if you follow today's nba you know that no star in their prime is choosing to come to boston, ever. these players are in new york (anthony; stoudamire; williams; johnson); miami (lebron; bosh; wade); los angeles (bryant; gasol; howard; griffith; cp3). okc has two homegorwn guys (durant; westbrook); chicago has one (rose); dallas has their guy (nowitzki). obviously san antonio has its trio (parker; duncan; ginobilli) and Minnesota has the guy they drafted (love). teams on the rise like memphis; philly; minnesota; atlanta; denver; houston; and golden state acquired guys through the draft and through trades and were very bad before they got better. with that said, the axiom about having to have multiple superstars to win has mostly held true, though there are degrees to it, and the celtics do have a top 15 guy (rondo); a top 30 guy (garnett) and a top 50 guy (pierce).

where i think the problem lies is they are paying 9 million per to jeff green and getting wildly inconsistent performances. were this team getting 16 and 6 per night from green they may have gotten a couple of more wins this year and this may feel like a slightly different team. 

the whole darko milicic debacle has also hurt this team.

though lee and terry have been inconsistent, those are not the problem areas. bass hasn't been great, but neither has he hurt the team. sullinger has played well, but he's a rookie. no complaints there. they got a little pick me from barbosa when he joined the team. wilcox has been fine. 

doc rivers is easily a top 5 coach in the nba. good luck finding a replacement. 

collins is a waste of a roster spot. they need to ship him out and get a big, young body in. melo is where he belongs and will be completely ineffective if brought up, but anything is better than wasting a spot at the end of the bench. 

ABs return and the additions of an actual big man in a trade and adding another big, young body will help. perhaps the idea of actually contending is slipping away, but if those things happen this team could still win a series or two in the playoffs. there is a lot of talent and a potentially nice mix of young and old if they can get things figured out. 

it's a team still searching for an identity and this might not occur until all the moves are made/bradley is back, etc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Do you even play basketball?

Lack of heart and hustle is because of the Celtic superstars getting old!

Again, it's very easy for you to say that the Celts should fire Doc. So who do you think should replace him?

fierce, you're not even a good faker.  i played basketball until both feet needed surgery and a hip wore out.  so you really believe that HOF players like garnett and pierce just start cashing paychecks after a while?  or only after a while of the same old shitte of NON coaching?

so if i go by what you say- KG just signed on to cash two years and 22 million bucks worth of checks?  on top of the 400 million he's already banked?  why that?  you're not believable. 

you are obfuscating an issue by intimating that there is "no replacement available" or "nobody better than doc".  i asked you a simple question and you have nothing.  i never remember seeing bird, mchale or parish mail it in during their later years.  it's not acceptable.  it only happens when the players believe or KNOW that something within their system is broken.

our players came out this year FLAT AS A PANCAKE as far as effort and heart go.  it's not lack of skill.  skill fades but that's when where wiley veterans figure out a way to win.  unless they know they are constrained inherently.  it could also be some of what danny gave them to make lemonade with too.  but a coach's job is to sell the team the roster and to build a system around what they have. 

this coach couldn't even manage to get the only functional and healthy 7 footer off of our bench and into the games in the first 20 games as we got steadily out-rebounded and we wasted all of KG's rebounding energy early on in the season losing games because of a small lineup.  while 7 foot guy who can do 8 and 6 in with 2 blocks in 20 minutes floor time rots on th bench.

who other than a coach DO you look at?

once again- heart, hustle, celtic pride is missing.  WHO other than coach is responsble when it's not JUST ONE PLAYER but a whole team.  we have the same stinking rondo- peek a boo offensive game that helps us win one night and kills us with timid play the next.  nothing has changed.  except morale has never been lower. 

and you're looking to "who can we replace doc with" as the answer to that problem?  shirking the acknowledgement of a basic problem?

now go down into your mommy's basement and take some fish oil caplets and give me something better than that crap

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im wondering what it is Doc brings to the table...

What I notice when certain bench players get into a groove, Doc yanks them  When injuries force Doc to play lesser players on the bench... sometimes we find out they are much, much better than the minutes they've been receiving. When Rondo continues to not play defense and compromise our already weak defensive system, Doc looks the other way..

Someone mentioned look at Pops and the Spurs, they're another very old team yet they're playing good ball, good record...  as if bolstering why DOc is a good coach.. I think it states just the opposite.. The old Spurs team is hustling and winning while our C's are not. Seems Pops still has the ear of those guys.....

We get killed on the boards but Doc has run out some of our bigs.. Darko was somewhat praised this preseason, then rotted on the bench and left. Krystic was hounded so hard by Doc , he couldnt make a move without looking over his shoulder to see if Doc was yelling.. he left too... a couple others got dumped and we still have major rebound problems. 

and the qualifier of asking a poster if hes played basketball before, as if it disqualifies his opinion if you played more or at a higher level is silly.  I watch the games and notice some major flaws that are never addressed...number 1 is the opponents PG prancing into our lane effortlessly... because of lack of effort and determination by our PG... when that goes on for years, you have to wonder who's really the coach on this team

Last nights game vs Rockets recap:

Instead it was Smith, who scored 20 points in less than 22 minutes, and how he scored was disheartening. Of his eight field goals, six were layups or dunks; one was a 5-foot hook shot. And he hit one early 20-footer. The Rockets simply used Lin, Chandler Parsons, or Harden to drive into the paint, then find Smith roaming around the hoop. By the time Kevin Garnett or Chris Wilcox rotated, Smith was at the basket. Parsons, Lin, and Harden collected 20 of Houston’s 23 assists.

I really don't have a problem firing Doc as long as there is a replacement. Right now acie keeps saying we need a competent coach. So who will replace Doc?

The Celts can't afford to fire Doc with no replacement on standby.

My point is if you can't name a replacement for Doc then obviously there is no one better.

Again, it's not that I don't want to fire Doc, it's who replaces him.

Good question..  Danny gets paid to answer that, not me.. how about KG as player coach ala Big Bill

too bad we didnt make a deal to give Tibs the job after Docs contract expired.

In response to Karllost's comment:

Good question..  Danny gets paid to answer that, not me.. how about KG as player coach ala Big Bill

too bad we didnt make a deal to give Tibs the job after Docs contract expired.

Bad idea to make KG a playing coach. He will not come out of the game, he will play 48 minutes.

The players and the fans wanted Doc back in 2010. 

So now Danny gets paid to answer the question who replaces Doc? What a cop-out!

It's not true that Danny gets paid to answer that. Laker fans and players knew who would be the best coach when Mike Brown got fired.

The reason why you guys can't name a replacement for Doc is because no one on the market is better than Doc.

You think Doc has better credentials than Phil?? Since when did Doc become this great coach..after Danny swung the KG/Ray deals?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

He thinks he can win all the arguiments - he will not let go until he f~vck up this thread - but wait, yes he can,  he'll fire his gatling guns without substance.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Doc as i've said many times is an average coach no more no less, but lets not forget about Ainge he has been average to below since he has been here. I think it may be time for both to go!!  There is not a coach out there who could go deep into the playoffs with the team we have at this time. KG and Pierce are too old, and can't carry the team the way they used too!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

Again, it's very easy for you to say that the Celts should fire Doc. So who do you think should replace him?

This one is so obvious that you shouldn't even ask.

The Celtics have a lust for COTY that got fired. Rivers was one. His replacement should be another one -

Your best friend - Mike Brown

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

We need an interior bulldog!  Someone who loves mixing it up on the boards and in the paint.

We don't have a bruiser.  If Sully were either 30 pounds lighter and had some explosion or 3 inches taller, we'd be all set.

Our bigs want to be "stretches".  KG wants to be a stretch-center and Bass is a mid-stretch-PF.

We rarely get baskets at the rim in the halfcourt.  We could use a Kenneth Faried-type but I'd take Kenyon Martin over Jason Collins right now.  Martin would provide more energy and toughness right now than we're getting from Bass and Sully (consistently).  Also, if Doc's not going to give Collins any minutes, why not bring someone in who can contribute 10-15 minutes per game like Martin can.

I think Petey is 100% correct on this!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

The reason why you guys can't name a replacement for Doc is because no one on the market is better than Doc.

Of course there's one on the market that's better than Doc. He won 11 rings, more than Red...

If not, there's always your best friend - Mike Brown...

• Sections
    Shortcuts