What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticreuven. Show celticreuven's posts

What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?

In playoffs, so far Doc has played Kristic a total of like 5 minutes.  And as far as Greene goes, he plays on average about 7-10 minutes and is pretty unimpressive. Greene appears to have a lack of toughness.  His defense is OK and his jumper seems decent.  Overall, a B- player.

If this was the playoff rotation ideas with both players in such limited roles, why trade away a known commodity in Perk.  Why not do a lesser trade or pluck somebody off the wire.  We could have gotten perhaps a Marquis Daniels quality player for Nate.  (I do understand the caveat that if Green was playing better, he might be playing more meaningful minutes in these past two games. He was the #3 option in OKC.)

Maybe a trade had to be done to get a needed 'sufficient swingman.'  So far, I'm unimpressed by both Kristic and Green--especially through their so far limited roles in the playoffs.  At best this whole trade BS cost us an easier road to the Finals.

****Granted all this is coming from an out-of-town Celtic's fan who tracks the games via stats and catches all nationally televised games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kybested. Show kybested's posts

Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?

You will have to wait until it's all over. The Celtics have only played in 2 playoff games so far, it's too early to tell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yep. I didn't like the trade either but you're rushing to judgement. You have also forgotten Ainge envisioned Shaq in the middle of this mix when he did the deal, rightly or wrongly. Having said that, one the we do know: Bob Ryan and a few others who said Jeff Green was the best player in this deal are looking pretty wrong right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRYLEGEND4LIFE. Show LARRYLEGEND4LIFE's posts

as a die hard celtic fan I've been trying to find any reason whatsoever to back this trade since it went down......and I just can't find one. I tried to use the we woudn't be able to resign perk idea, and the jeff green give us youth idea and now that i see the big picture I hate the trade.....finally. We can't rebound and Perk could do that and do it well.....now I realize Danny thought Shaq would be able to play and that was a big risk in which were paying big time for right now. We will see how the saga plays out.......if anything this team is a lot of fun to watch.....i almost passed out watching that game last nite. Go Celts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

As of right now, the benefit of the trade is nothing.

We're not getting much at all from Kristic & Green so far.  Maybe they help out in practice,,, :)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?:
    In playoffs, so far Doc has played Kristic a total of like 5 minutes.  And as far as Greene goes, he plays on average about 7-10 minutes and is pretty unimpressive. Greene appears to have a lack of toughness.  His defense is OK and his jumper seems decent.  Overall, a B- player. If this was the playoff rotation ideas with both players in such limited roles, why trade away a known commodity in Perk.  Why not do a lesser trade or pluck somebody off the wire.  We could have gotten perhaps a Marquis Daniels quality player for Nate.  (I do understand the caveat that if Green was playing better, he might be playing more meaningful minutes in these past two games. He was the #3 option in OKC.) Maybe a trade had to be done to get a needed 'sufficient swingman.'  So far, I'm unimpressed by both Kristic and Green--especially through their so far limited roles in the playoffs.  At best this whole trade BS cost us an easier road to the Finals. ****Granted all this is coming from an out-of-town Celtic's fan who tracks the games via stats and catches all nationally televised games.
    Posted by celticreuven

Agree with you and many other Celtics fans have had similar thoughts regarding Perkins.  I posted several times about getting a sufficient backup by trading other players that were traded, (a combination of Nate and other players  that were traded).  You don't trade a starter for backup players.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

We traded away a tough presence for nothing at this time.  Krisitic is soft as a pillow and Green can become good but is soft right now too.  Green was a starter at Oklahoma so he has some up side.  The problem is he doesnt play the C's way yet.  He might not ever play that way, only time will tell.  Kristic is what he is, a soft offensive type center who can't play any defense. Right now there are no benefits to the trade.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?:
    Yep. I didn't like the trade either but you're rushing to judgement. You have also forgotten Ainge envisioned Shaq in the middle of this mix when he did the deal, rightly or wrongly. Having said that, one the we do know: Bob Ryan and a few others who said Jeff Green was the best player in this deal are looking pretty wrong right now.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

And that's the problem.  How could someone possibly "envision Shaq in the middle" when the guy has been hurt for 5 seasons now.  That's just stupid....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Don't forget you can not have 3 starting Centers on one team, one had to go.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Well the "one" that had to go shouldn't be the young starter, rather one of the two old can't stay healthy aren't very good anymore backups....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : And that's the problem.  How could someone possibly "envision Shaq in the middle" when the guy has been hurt for 5 seasons now.  That's just stupid....
    Posted by momort

Good point.  Relying on an older player who hasn't played an entire season for quite a while, was a bad decision by Danny. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I backed the trade all the way because I had no choice.  I am not a "cry over spilled milk" kind of person.  Whats done is done, so I tried to embrace and find the positives, all the while knowing that Danny said it was imperative to get Paul a backup after Quis went down.  Green kept flashing good things and Kristic basically saved us in March with his inside scoring and second shot oppty's off offensive rebounds.  Now I am fearing the reason Green was given away is because he is an enigma.  An amazing offensive talent who defers to inferior players and has a passive , soft demeanor, and Kristic cant do anything even if he wanted, cuz he on a short leash. So the same guy who held down the starting center spot for a month and had people forgetting about Perk as he scored inside with ease, cant even buy a vowel right now.  Big Baby who Doc has praised all year is now wandering around the game like he lost his P & J sammich.  Shows no interest to get involved and this from a guy who shot off his mouth and gave the ammo they are probably using now.  Def. not what I envisioned, but unfortunately, I dont think we had a choice.  We might need Perk now, but if we did, Wafer would be out there backing up Pierce trying to cover Melo, so he probably goes for 60 last night in that scenario...Hey!  atleast we had all our inuires in the reg. season...guys are dropping like flies in the playoffs...smh

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Well the "one" that had to go shouldn't be the young starter, rather one of the two old can't stay healthy aren't very good anymore backups....

What's amazing is that this whole trade is to be blamed on Tony Allen.  If he hadn't left, Danny wouldn't have had to trade for his back-up swing man and we still have Perk.  Add that Tony is the best defensive guard in teh league right now and this whole thing just makes my head hurt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

They say are only expendables worth value were Perk and baby, and Baby has played well and had his moments, but right now is not one of them, and in hindsight, maybe you trade baby if you get back Green who can also play 4.....jus saying...baby is playing like c rap, and he is who everyone counted on going in, and his lack of offensive production if effecting his defense, as he allowed Jefferies to have his way down low...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The problem with the trade was it's timing - end of the season.  With all of the injuries to the C's, it's been hard for a second string to develop any cohesion.  There are 5 guys that have had very limited playing time together.  Hopefully, they find the cohesion by the end of the second round or they won't be a conference final.

Green, Kristic, Jermaine O'Neal, Big Baby, and West are good ball players.  As a group, they should be able to hold a lead.  O

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? :
    In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Well the "one" that had to go shouldn't be the young starter, rather one of the two old can't stay healthy aren't very good anymore backups.... What's amazing is that this whole trade is to be blamed on Tony Allen.  If he hadn't left, Danny wouldn't have had to trade for his back-up swing man and we still have Perk.  Add that Tony is the best defensive guard in teh league right now and this whole thing just makes my head hurt.
    Posted by momort

I have mentioned this several times also.  The loss of Tony Allen was a significant loss for the Celtics.  Perk never would have been traded if TA was still on the team.  Just another bad decision by Danny not be more agressive in resigning him before he had a chance of signing with another team. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

KG's replacement with the Clippers pick and Green is PP's replacement.  Ray's replacement with the Cavs pick.

PA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The problem with the trade was it's timing - end of the season.  With all of the injuries to the C's, it's been hard for a second string to develop any cohesion.  There are 5 guys that have had very limited playing time together.  Hopefully, they find the cohesion by the end of the second round or they won't be a conference final. Green, Kristic, Jermaine O'Neal, Big Baby, and West are good ball players.  As a group, they should be able to hold a lead.  O
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I believe you are right on dirty water.  They are good players who aren't  playing well together right now.  Perhaps these days off in between playoff games will give these players time to work together and improve as a unit.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

jeff seems lost out there sometimes. he stands in the corner waiting for the 3...... he needs to move like ray is doing and try to get the ball to get open.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Over the last 10 games:

Perk:    26 min, 40%, 8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.9 bpg, 0.1 stpg, 3.1 pfg, 4.6 ppg

Green:  25 min, 42%, 5 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 bpg, 0.4 stpg, 0.4 pfg, 8.3 ppg

NR:        7 min, 18%,  0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.0 bpg, 0.0 stpg, 1.7 pfg, 2.3 ppg

Krstc:   18 min, 63%, 4 rpg, 0;3 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.5 stpg, 2.5 pfg, 7 ppg

I loved Perk, and I even had a soft spot for the Donkey, but those guys aren't exactly tearing it up in OKC. Sure it sucks to lose the defensive cohesiveness he had with KG, but S. Oneal looks not too bad. And lets not forget that with out the trade, we had no one to back up pierce. Somehow Perk has become one of the most overrated players in basketball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I backed the trade all the way because I had no choice.  I am not a "cruy over spilled milk" kind of person.  Whats done is done, so I tried to embrace and find the positives, all the while knowing that Danny said it was imperative to get Paul a backup aftr Quis went down.  Green kept flashing good things and Kristic basically saved us in March with his inside scoring and second shot oppty's off offensive rebounds.  Now I am fearing the reason Green was given away is because he is an enigma.  An amazing offensive talent who defers to inferior players and has a passive , soft demeanor, and Kristic cant do anything even if he wanted, cuz he on a short leash. So the same guy who held down the starting center spot for a month and had people forgetting about Perk as he scored inside with ease, cant even buy a vowel right now.  Big Baby who Doc has praised all year is now wandering around the game like he lost his P & J sammich.  Shows no interest to get involved and this from a guy who shot off his mouth and gave the ammo they are probably using now.  Def. not what I envisioned, but unfortunately, I dont think we had a choice.  We might need Perk now, but if we did, Wafer would be out there backing up Pierce trying to cover Melo, so he probably goes for 60 last night in that scenario...Hey!  atleast we had all our inuires in the reg. season...guys are dropping like flies in the playoffs...smh
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Terrific analysis. I think Baby looked a little better last night. I'm really happy with Doc's coaching, not just because he pulled 2 rabbits out of his hat the last two games but with the rotation as well. Kristyc is definately funked up right now because he's slow on rotations and therefore all but useless in the Celtics primary defensive sets. He can still play basketball, but will have to learn the rotations or he'll be on another team next year. Greene is learning everything he needs to to become a good Celtic in Doc River's system and it's just taking time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Over the last 10 games: Perk:    26 min, 40%, 8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.9 bpg, 0.1 stpg, 3.1 pfg, 4.6 ppg Green:  25 min, 42%, 5 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 bpg, 0.4 stpg, 0.4 pfg, 8.3 ppg NR:        7 min, 18%,  0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.0 bpg, 0.0 stpg, 1.7 pfg, 2.3 ppg Krstc:   18 min, 63%, 4 rpg, 0;3 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.5 stpg, 2.5 pfg, 7 ppg I loved Perk, and I even had a soft spot for the Donkey, but those guys aren't exactly tearing it up in OKC. Sure it sucks to lose the defensive cohesiveness he had with KG, but S. Oneal looks not too bad. And lets not forget that with out the trade, we had no one to back up pierce. Somehow Perk has become one of the most overrated players in basketball.
    Posted by shamrock1000

Shaq  doesn't look too bad??!? Are you serious with this quote?  SHaq has played 5 minutes the last 40 games.  Perk's stats didn't matter, they never did.  His presence setting picks, blocking out, D and bad arseness are what they are missing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In Response to What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?:
    In playoffs, so far Doc has played Kristic a total of like 5 minutes.  And as far as Greene goes, he plays on average about 7-10 minutes and is pretty unimpressive. Greene appears to have a lack of toughness.  His defense is OK and his jumper seems decent.  Overall, a B- player. If this was the playoff rotation ideas with both players in such limited roles, why trade away a known commodity in Perk.  Why not do a lesser trade or pluck somebody off the wire.  We could have gotten perhaps a Marquis Daniels quality player for Nate.  (I do understand the caveat that if Green was playing better, he might be playing more meaningful minutes in these past two games. He was the #3 option in OKC.) Maybe a trade had to be done to get a needed 'sufficient swingman.'  So far, I'm unimpressed by both Kristic and Green--especially through their so far limited roles in the playoffs.  At best this whole trade BS cost us an easier road to the Finals. ****Granted all this is coming from an out-of-town Celtic's fan who tracks the games via stats and catches all nationally televised games.
    Posted by celticreuven

The trade was made because Perkins refused the extension offer made by DA and he was going  to walk away in the end  of the seasson.

Sections
Shortcuts