What the Celtics Shoud/Shouldn't Do...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

What the Celtics Shoud/Shouldn't Do...

I've said this over and over. The Cs need Bigs with Length and Wing Players who are lights out from beyond the arc.

What the Cs should do:

Keep the picks. This is a deep draft. That might not be the case in near future drafts. Especially, when that dorky commissioner is trying to force players to stay on the NCAA farm for two years.

Be patient. The Days when the Cs could rely on the stupidity of other teams is long gone. Very rarely is a player of KG's caliber going to become available. The Cs must rely on the draft since Boston isn't a preferred FA destination.

Let all of the toxic contracts expire. When you trade an expiring contract, you'll get worse contracts in return to along with something beneficial. The dollars must match in NBA trades. The Cs currently have 3 toxic deals on the books: Bogans, Green, and Wallace. These deals will expire two years from now. After this season, Bass, Anthony, and Rondo's contracts will expire. That's about $26mill off the books. This would give them a fighting chance at Love at the very least in the summer of 2015.

Possibilities with the #6 and #7 picks: (#6 Doug McDermott #17 Kristaps Porzingis) McDermott measured well and showed athleticism at the Combine. I got the balls to say this. He reminds me, offensively, of Larry Bird. DMD is elite from beyond the arc, is a great passer, and can move without the ball. He has the same shooting mechanics as Dirk (the knee lift on the jump). He's a classic Celtic-type player. Porzingis is from Latvia and plays in Spain (one of the better Euro Leagues). He turns 19 on 08/02/14, has length, is one of the best shot blockers in the history of U-19, can shoot 3s, runs well in transition, and has a soft touch around the rim. He needs to add bulk, strength, and toughness. Par for the course for all bigs his age. Great potential, with 2 years remaining on his Spain contract. Plenty of time to improve. An ideal "draft-and-stash" player.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: What the Celtics Shoud/Shouldn't Do...

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've said this over and over. The Cs need Bigs with Length and Wing Players who are lights out from beyond the arc.

What the Cs should do:

Keep the picks. This is a deep draft. That might not be the case in near future drafts. Especially, when that dorky commissioner is trying to force players to stay on the NCAA farm for two years.

Be patient. The Days when the Cs could rely on the stupidity of other teams is long gone. Very rarely is a player of KG's caliber going to become available. The Cs must rely on the draft since Boston isn't a preferred FA destination.

Let all of the toxic contracts expire. When you trade an expiring contract, you'll get worse contracts in return to along with something beneficial. The dollars must match in NBA trades. The Cs currently have 3 toxic deals on the books: Bogans, Green, and Wallace. These deals will expire two years from now. After this season, Bass, Anthony, and Rondo's contracts will expire. That's about $26mill off the books. This would give them a fighting chance at Love at the very least in the summer of 2015.

Possibilities with the #6 and #7 picks: (#6 Doug McDermott #17 Kristaps Porzingis) McDermott measured well and showed athleticism at the Combine. I got the balls to say this. He reminds me, offensively, of Larry Bird. DMD is elite from beyond the arc, is a great passer, and can move without the ball. He has the same shooting mechanics as Dirk (the knee lift on the jump). He's a classic Celtic-type player. Porzingis is from Latvia and plays in Spain (one of the better Euro Leagues). He turns 19 on 08/02/14, has length, is one of the best shot blockers in the history of U-19, can shoot 3s, runs well in transition, and has a soft touch around the rim. He needs to add bulk, strength, and toughness. Par for the course for all bigs his age. Great potential, with 2 years remaining on his Spain contract. Plenty of time to improve. An ideal "draft-and-stash" player.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

YES - I've been touting him for two weeks now...........worth a flyer....and is 18!!!  No on McDermott, though.  We can do better - Gordon, Vonleh or Smart

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Bogans deal is not guaranteed.  It is nothing but a trade chip for salary purposes at this time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

What the Cs shouldn't do:

Extend Rondo. He's overrated. He can't shoot, is TO prone, overpaid, rarely gets to the line, and can't shoot FTs. Defensively his D-Win Shares have plummeted in each of the past 4 seasons. Moreover, he'll turn 29, when PGs start to decline. Look at the draft. There are SEVERAL Rondos: Exum, Payton, Smart, Ennis - all with length to go along with high steal rates. Why overpay for a declining player? Keeping Rondo around would be beyond stupid.

Draft Julius Randle. Randle is overrated. This is what happens when a player get talked about all season long. In truth, Randle began to struggle once the Wildcats schedule got tougher. For a guy with his height/weight, he should have dominated on a consistent basis. He didn't. He disappeared in too many games for my liking. Doesn't have a good standing reach and wingspan. TBH, I'd take 'Cuse's Jerami Grant (8'11" SR) over him.

Draft a PG. That would be a waste. Get the lengthy bigs and shooting wings first.

"Improve" by signing current FAs and trading picks. This will only hurt the Cs 2015 draft position. Hey, if the Cs has lost one more game this season, they'd be picking 5th.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

YES - I've been touting him for two weeks now...........worth a flyer....and is 18!!!  No on McDermott, though.  We can do better - Gordon, Vonleh or Smart

Vonleh won't be there at #6. I like Gordon, but he's a 41%FT shooter and is a tweener. Smart is not better than McDermott. For two seasons, Smart's shooting numbers remained the same. Poor. You are what you are. DMD has been great in his Frosh and Soph years, a good indicator for a Senior.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

DraftExpress scouting videos:

Doug McDermott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwWxfkTEI0&index=9&list=PLGbx-x-czRRdgeiXP9pwaHz_0VZ4jLsLn

Kristaps Porzingis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOEG1k2eCw&index=22&list=PLGbx-x-czRRdgeiXP9pwaHz_0VZ4jLsLn

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Celtics payroll.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What the Cs shouldn't do:

Extend Rondo. He's overrated. He can't shoot, is TO prone, overpaid, rarely gets to the line, and can't shoot FTs. Defensively his D-Win Shares have plummeted in each of the past 4 seasons. Moreover, he'll turn 29, when PGs start to decline. Look at the draft. There are SEVERAL Rondos: Exum, Payton, Smart, Ennis - all with length to go along with high steal rates. Why overpay for a declining player? Keeping Rondo around would be beyond stupid.

Draft Julius Randle. Randle is overrated. This is what happens when a player get talked about all season long. In truth, Randle began to struggle once the Wildcats schedule got tougher. For a guy with his height/weight, he should have dominated on a consistent basis. He didn't. He disappeared in too many games for my liking. Doesn't have a good standing reach and wingspan. TBH, I'd take 'Cuse's Jerami Grant (8'11" SR) over him.

Draft a PG. That would be a waste. Get the lengthy bigs and shooting wings first.

"Improve" by signing current FAs and trading picks. This will only hurt the Cs 2015 draft position. Hey, if the Cs has lost one more game this season, they'd be picking 5th.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree to not draft Randle.  Do you really think Utah will take Vonleh?

Parker, Embiid and Wiggins in some order are definitely the top 3.

ORL needs a PG, and will take Exum or Smart......I say Exum.

That leaves Utah...............with Burke, Burks, Hayward, Kantner and Favors, they need a SF.  Jefferson is off the books, so it is "possible" they take  Gordon.

Either way, we end up with Vonleh, Gordon or Smart.  The lakers will probably take Randle

Vonleh could be there at 6...........it depends what the Jazz do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

DO NOT TAKE A PF!  Literately, draft any other position.  Draft a SF or SG shooter who can play at least a little D, and can score with his dribble in addition to his outside shot.  Think Pierce or Ray Allen.  Pure scorers who don't kill you with their D. 

If you don't like the SG/SF options, then draft a pure, in the box C.  A rim protector who can hit from 10ft in, and hit at least 60-70% from the free throw line.  A Center.  Not a stretch 5...a center.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

DO NOT TAKE A PF!  Literately, draft any other position.  Draft a SF or SG shooter who can play at least a little D, and can score with his dribble in addition to his outside shot.  Think Pierce or Ray Allen.  Pure scorers who don't kill you with their D. 

If you don't like the SG/SF options, then draft a pure, in the box C.  A rim protector who can hit from 10ft in, and hit at least 60-70% from the free throw line.  A Center.  Not a stretch 5...a center.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but there just isn't any quality guys like that.  Who in the draft do you see that fits the criteria that you've suggested that would be worth using the sixth pick on? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

That is the problem with pick #6.  Move up for parker or wiggins, move down for the next tier, or go for a guy like smart/exum that can be the combo guard with bradley/and or rondo.  At that point you trade rondo if you can.  At PF you already have 3 guys really in KO, sully, and Bass.  No room for another.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if Boston winds up with mcdermott and pringles then i honestly will not watch a single game next season. 

[/QUOTE]

Here-here!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I'm guessing that if we keep the picks, its down to four players:

Only one of Exum or Smart will be available at 6.  

I'm betting we pick Smart. (my pick since day 1)

The 17th pick will be either Hood or Warren. one for sure, possibly both available at 17.  

I'm betting we pick Warren

Both will get productive minutes next season.  

Danny will shoot for his true Center in the 2015 draft with 8 legit 7 footers including Towns, Cauley Stein, Johnson and Okafor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

"The Days when the Cs could rely on the stupidity of other teams is long gone" - CubanPete

I wouldn't classify last summer as days that are "long gone". You know, when we fleeced Brooklyns' future. I mean, we all thought BKN's pick this year would be in the mid 20's. It's already paying bigger dividends then we thought. We found stupidity then, we'll find it again. There's 1 born every minute. Talk about "overrated".....

"Very rarely is a player of KG's caliber going to become available" - CubanPete

Well, Minny has failed once again. And though Kevin Love is a different type of talent then KG, he's still got the league in just as big of an uproar. Every team with even a hint of hope is keeping Flip Saunders from beddy-bye time. Can you say deja vu?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Trade for the Number 1 pick.

I first heard this on the Mike and Mike show this morning.  CC stated that cleveland had enough young guys, they need a couple of key veterans.  I agree

Cleveland has both Spencer Hawes and Luol Deng leaving, freeing up 20m.

C's get #1 pick

Cavs get Jeff Green and Sign and traded Humphries(if they want him) plus future pick(could even by 2015 #1)

C's draft embiid

Then try to trade #6 and #17 plus future if necessary for the #2.  Milwaukee needs multiple players badly.  Overpay to move up 4 spots.

Bucks get 6+17+future pick

C's get #2

C's draft wiggins or parker to replace Green

Now they have options.  Now they can go for Asik as your backup Center to pair with the rookie, G Haywood to pair with Parker/wiggins and bradley in a wing rotation, and even Love to replace one of Sully/KO.  Probably could get 2 of 3 of these, with Love being the hardest after trading all of the picks.

Get Asik for Bass/Faverini

Get Haywood for Future pick, using TPE to cover the salary.

Rondo/Pressley/bradley

Haywood/Bradley

Parker/Wiggins/Haywood/wallace

Sully/KO

Asik/Embiid

I'll take that youg talented team to go with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Is that Elvis in the house?  Asik , Embiid, Parker and Haywood in one swell foop?  Who knew it would be so easy?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is that Elvis in the house?  Asik , Embiid, Parker and Haywood in one swell foop?  Who knew it would be so easy?

[/QUOTE]

I think the hardest one would be getting the top pick.  I don't know if green is the player they would want, even if we sweetened with a future pick. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

no one is trading the top pick for green. i like green, more than many on here do, but he's not anywhere close to being worth that. cleveland would die laughing at that suggestion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no one is trading the top pick for green. i like green, more than many on here do, but he's not anywhere close to being worth that. cleveland would die laughing at that suggestion.

[/QUOTE]

If you think a 15+/- scorer on a bad (lots of D attention)team plus a #1 pick next year isn't in the ballpark you are rooting for the wrong team.  Green is a player I want to move, not because he is bad, but he is at a position the C's need more scoring from.  He is a good to decent player.  Not outstanding but good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Trade for the Number 1 pick.

I first heard this on the Mike and Mike show this morning.  CC stated that cleveland had enough young guys, they need a couple of key veterans.  I agree

Cleveland has both Spencer Hawes and Luol Deng leaving, freeing up 20m.

C's get #1 pick

Cavs get Jeff Green and Sign and traded Humphries(if they want him) plus future pick(could even by 2015 #1)

C's draft embiid

Then try to trade #6 and #17 plus future if necessary for the #2.  Milwaukee needs multiple players badly.  Overpay to move up 4 spots.

Bucks get 6+17+future pick

C's get #2

C's draft wiggins or parker to replace Green

Now they have options.  Now they can go for Asik as your backup Center to pair with the rookie, G Haywood to pair with Parker/wiggins and bradley in a wing rotation, and even Love to replace one of Sully/KO.  Probably could get 2 of 3 of these, with Love being the hardest after trading all of the picks.

Get Asik for Bass/Faverini

Get Haywood for Future pick, using TPE to cover the salary.

Rondo/Pressley/bradley

Haywood/Bradley

Parker/Wiggins/Haywood/wallace

Sully/KO

Asik/Embiid

I'll take that youg talented team to go with.

I doubt Cleveland will trade the number one pick. They have to redeem themselves for last years blunder. I'd trade any player on the roster for it though and a future #1.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Dump Rondo and Bradley.

Keep the picks and sign Hayward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you think a 15+/- scorer on a bad (lots of D attention)team plus a #1 pick next year isn't in the ballpark you are rooting for the wrong team.  Green is a player I want to move, not because he is bad, but he is at a position the C's need more scoring from.  He is a good to decent player.  Not outstanding but good.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, you must have been partying with Colt's owner Irsay, and the last person he partied with is DEAD!

Nobody wants Green, let alone for the 1st pick in ANY package deal. Stop this madness and think before you type this stuff. Man it's going to be one long month until the draft. I thought the weeks before the trade deadline were awful!

And yeah, Green is a good to decent player...ONCE EVERY THREE GAMES....HE SUCKS FOR THE OTHER TWO!