What to Expect From Phil Pressey in 2013-14!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

What to Expect From Phil Pressey in 2013-14!

What to Expect From Phil Pressey in 2013-14 

In today's edition of our What to Expect series, the panel will be discussing Phil Pressey.

As we got closer and closer to the regular season, Pressey's role remains unknown. Read on to see what the CLNS writers think Pressey means to this Boston Celtics team.

Sloan Piva

Pressey could emerge as one of the pleasant surprises of this bridge year, as evidenced by his strong Summer League stint and subsequent camp. He has good instincts, quick hands and impressive court vision. Even if he only plays 16-20 minutes per game behind Rondo, he'll probably make some noise.

Stats Projections:

16.0 MPG, 8.7 PPG, 2.6 APG, 0.6 SPG

Rich Conte

Phil Pressey earned an invite to training camp (and partially guaranteed contract) based off his solid performance at the Orlando Summer League.  The son of former NBA player and Celtic assistant coach Paul Pressey demonstrated a natural feel for running an offense and distributing the ball as well as excellent quickness and persistence on the defensive end.  The Celtics lack of depth at the position, particularly in light of Rondo’s questionable status to start the season, bode well for Pressey’s chances of making the team coming out of camp.

His lack of size and average athleticism raise questions about his ability to contribute at the NBA level.  The guess here is, if he can present even a token threat offensively, he has a good chance to earn a spot in the rotation, at least until Rondo returns to full strength.  However, if the Celtics find a more veteran, established option to back up Rondo, then Pressey’s spot on the roster will be in jeopardy.

Stat Projections:

8.6 MPG, 2.3 PPG, 2.4 APG, 0.9 SPG

Following his surprisingly impressive stint in the Orlando Summer League the Boston Celtics decided to extend a training camp invite to undrafted free agent, Phil Pressey.

With the invitation, Pressey has an unbelievable opportunity to play for one of the most storied franchises in NBA history. But he won’t be just asked to play minutes here and there. Instead, Pressey will surely be asked to be a solid contributor off of Brad Stevens’ bench as he is the only pure point guard – besides Rajon Rondo - on the current roster.

Pressey’s initial role will all depend on the status of Rondo. If the Celtics starting floor general is ready to go on opening night then Pressey will surely be relegated to minutes off of the bench. But that might not be so bad. For the first month or so of the regular season, Rondo will not be able to play the 40-42 minutes per game that has become so accustomed to over the years. In turn, Pressey will need to be ready to play a good chunk of minutes while Rondo once again acclimates himself to the NBA game.

However, if Rondo is not available for the start of the season then Pressey will have just as good a chance as any to take over the starting point guard position during Rondo’s absence.

But whatever role Pressey takes on in 2013-14 I expect the former Missouri Tiger to contribute as both a feisty on-ball defender and a capable play maker. Pressey proved that he can be a handful when it comes to taking him off of the dribble. He displayed an exceptional work ethic on the defensive end of the floor, picking up opposing ball handlers in full court pressure. His small stature might not be ideal for a point guard in today’s NBA but Pressey uses his size – or lack thereof – to get low on the opposition which aids in his ability to come up with a number of steals night in and night out.

Pressey is also a solid facilitator on the offensive side of the ball but he’ll need to learn how to take better care of the basketball. His ball security shouldn’t be too much of a concern after he goes through his first professional training camp.

Phil may never be a starting caliber guard at this level but I believe he will have a long, solid career as a team’s primary ball handler off the pine.

Stat Projections:

15.0 MPG, 3.9 PPG, 4.8 APG, 1.0 SPG

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: What to Expect From Phil Pressey in 2013-14!

I hope he wins the starting job, if RR is not ready! Keep AB at shooting guard!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

Bradley is not a PG...in fact his value is all on the defensive end, IMO... Pressey has playmaking ability and a old hands game in terms of management of the offense...maybe some of his old man's NBA experience has rubbed off on him, which is a good thing...all the measureables on him aren't great, but he has a real and substantive game....he'll play because who knows what will happen with Rondo...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Bradley is not a PG, but I think he'll start at PG when the season starts.

To your point, PP and AB would be an awfully small front court! 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

You mean backcourt?

Thanks for the assist Fierce - trying to watch football and type a coherent thought at the same time! Taller / bigger backcourts would have a field day with PP and AB! ISO and post OR run them through picks all night long! 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

BCSP

Are you watching Giants vs. Cowboys?

Yes... the Giants always seem to find a way to win... i never count them out versus the Cowboys! Current score Cowboys 27 - Giants 10 ... not going to sleep on this one! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

TD - 27 - 17... look out!! Here come the Giants!! 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I agree, unless Romo throws one or two of his famous game altering interceptions! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

30 - 17 - Giants need to score on this possession! 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Cant see AB being our starting PG unless this is part of DA's master plan to have the worse record possible for this season. AB has proven over and over ball handling is one of his weaknesses, not strengths.. its a rare event to see him dribble without his eyes looking down at the ball..

Unless AB has put in a tremendous amount of work this off season successfully developing his PG skills, hard to understand him playing PG other than we have nobody..and I mean NOBODY else to play the position

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

I hope they are right about Pressey.

but there isn't too many un drafted Rookie who make a real contribution in the NBA their rookie years nowdays.

IF Rondo really is going to miss time early, I see the Celtics bringing in another vet Point ( Rumours were that Telfair may be coming back).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

What to Expect From Phil Pressey in 2013-14 

Simple enough, Phil.......

... at the PG position.

Just play sound, fundamental ball!

Said another way....

or maybe....

Pud

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

What I expect is for Phil to average about 6min a game until RR gets back, then zero minutes a game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Lee/Wallace will bring the ball at the start of the season

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

If I were the coach, I'd have crawford bringing the ball up the court as fast as possible and lee/bradley running the wings. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

If I were the coach, I'd have crawford bringing the ball up the court as fast as possible and lee/bradley running the wings. 

I'd have Crawford leaving town as fast as possible. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

In response to painter's comment:

In response to cole-ely's comment:

I'd have Crawford leaving town as fast as possible. 

+1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Bradley is not a PG, but I think he'll start at PG when the season starts.

D,ont worry my friend.Marshoon Brooks will be our 2 guard.Good size,good scorer,young,his defense will improve.Agree with you.PP an AB cannot play together.Go Celtics.

Sections
Shortcuts