What to Expect From Vitor Faverani in 2013-14!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

What to Expect From Vitor Faverani in 2013-14!

What to Expect From Vitor Faverani in 2013-14

Written by  Tim MacLean on September 5th, 2013   Next in line for the What to Expect series is Vitor Faverani. This year will be very imperative to Faverani's career success. If he shows promise then the future could be bright for him as a servicable big man. But if not, he could just be another failed experiment.

Sloan Piva (@sloanpiva)

Faverani provides a big body down low, but he has no experience playing against NBA-caliber talent (he wasn't drafted after declaring for the NBA in 2009). It's always exciting to welcome a seven-footer to the mix, but Celtics fans should temper their expectations (remember the Fab Melo project...). Fifteen to 20 minutes of playing time should be about as much as "El Hombre Indestructible" should expect, and five points and three rebounds per game will probably meet Brad Stevens' expectations. After all, Faverani maxed out at 9.3 points and 4.6 rebounds over 17 minutes per game as part of team Valencia in Spain. He's a work in progress, but if he can stay healthy, limit turnovers and gel with his teammates, he could be a big, bearded part of Boston's future.

Stat Projections:

14.5 MPG, 5.2 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 49% FG

Rich Conte (@richconte)

The Celtics offseason featured a South American subplot as one Brazilian big man exited (Fab Melo), just as another, Vitor Faverani, entered.  The 6-11, 25-year old center has some intriguing physical skills; he can run the court and at 260 pounds has the potential to be a physical presence in the paint.  He doesn’t appear to be much of a rim-protector, but his size and emerging offensive skills make him a viable candidate at center if coach Brad Stevens decides to play a more traditional lineup.

Stat Projections:

24.8 MPG, 7.3 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 48.7 FG%

Tim MacLean (@TimMacLean_)

I’ll be the first to admit that prior to the Celtcs signing him, I had never heard of Vitor Faverani. But over the last few weeks I’ve had the chance to do some research on the Brazilian big man and I have to say, I really like what I’ve either seen, read, or heard about thus far.

First and foremost, if there’s any one thing that stands out about him it’s neither his height nor his size. It’s his loyalty.

Faverani has only been a member of the Celtics for a very short while and he is already displaying his love for the team all over his Twitter account. His timeline is flooded with pictures of him wearing Celtics related clothing and he constantly professes how happy he is to be in Boston.

Unlike most other teams, being a part of the Celtics organization is truly about the name on the front of the jersey rather than the one on the back. And while that might be corny or cliché it’s absolutely true. The organization should be very pleased to see that one of their newest players is itching to put on the green and white uniform.

From a statistical standpoint, Faverani may have the opportunity to contribute a lot more than one might think. Given the fact that he is really the only true center on the Celtics current roster, Brad Stevens would be foolish not to give him some burn. Boston is going to need to find out one way or another if Faverani is capable of being effective at the NBA level. Besides, Faverani is signed through the next three years. If Danny Ainge didn’t make this signing with thoughts of developing him further then he most likely would have brought him on with a smaller, non-guaranteed contract.

Sure, Faverani might not be a stellar defender but he does have an impressive offensive game and, at the very least, he can’t be any worse than a particular Brazilian center that just recently left town.

Stat Projections:

17.4 MPG, 5.2 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 50.0 FG%

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: What to Expect From Vitor Faverani in 2013-14!

It will be interesting to see what VF can do in games against NBA talent. The Cs would be thrilled to get 20-mins, 8-pts, and 6-rebs per game! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Vitor Faverani Interview - I like this Guy. 

Thursday, August 29, 2013

by FLCeltsFan   9:57 PM   Vitor Faverani is winning me over. Now if he can just back up his words with his play, we may have a starting center after all. The site CelticsSpa has done another interview with Vitor Faverani and they posted a translation of it on their site. He's saying all the right things to win Celtics fans over, at least this Celtics fan anyway. 

When asked if he felt any extra pressure from reports that he might be a starter, he answered that he doesn't have time to read a lot of stuff and then he had this to say: 
    I can assure you that I am working very hard, I love being here and if I am a starter, let’s go! I would give everything for the team and bleed for this uniform, if needed.
    I love that attitude. He's willing to give everything for the Celtics. And when asked about his teammates, he talks about needing to build chemistry and the importance of the locker room. Vitor is going to be a good character guy and a positive presence in the locker room. 
    I had dinner with the coach and told him about locker rooms in Spain and their particular features, the union among the players which I like so much. The coach thinks the same, I guess he will try to build a team considering also the locker and its chemistry, and there will not be problems. The teammates I have met are nice people, they support you or help with the language, so everything is ok.

My favorite answer came when he was asked if he would have good chemistry with Rondo. He loves setting screens. That's music to my ears. He's going to have to go some to beat Perk's screens but since he was almost hurting teammates in practice with his screens, he may just have a chance at doing just that. A center who loves to set screens and is good at it. Imagine that. 
    Well, I have not had the opportunity to work with him because he is recovering from his knee injury. I had a first contact, not with the head coach but with his top assistant, who is training me and was with Rondo this week. Every time they talk about Rondo is amazing, spotting his pick and roll play. I love setting screens, you can ask my former teammates because they stopped me last year because it was almost hurting them, so if he is the player I believe he is, we will get along very well. He loves sharing the ball and has incredible passing skills, and I love setting screens to free him, so that he can decide to finish with a shot or a pass. It is up to him.
    And he likes playing in the low post. Oh the joy of it all. 
    Well, I think in Valencia my play was based on the low post. I played with my back to the rim and set many screens to my teammates. I liked ending up with dunks, or finishing in the low post, more often with my left hand. Now in America I am working a lot with my right hand, and I believe that my style here will be more or less the same.
    We've heard one of his nicknames from Spain that I just love - El Hombre Indestructible. In the interview they mention another nickname that he goes by - The Green Mammoth. I love both of these nicknames. And he assures us that he will work hard and be strong to live up to the expectations that come with these very cool nicknames. 

I'm very much liking what I'm hearing from him so far. He seems like a very humble guy who is willing to work hard to make it in the league. You can find his fan account on Twitter @VitorFaveraniFans and his own account, which is mostly in Spanish @faverani13. The CelticsSpa interview is HERE and you should check it out to find out why he chose his number, the meaning behind his tattoos and much more. 

From the videos I've watched and from reading his interviews, I'm already liking El Hombre Indestructible. I'm expecting great things from him both on and off the court. He's going to be a fan favorite for sure. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i really like this guy....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Just don't expect too much.

just gotta give him time...new coach new players..people will fight for minutes..it's going to be a fun season...no stress to win win win....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Some offensive skills, some rebounding, and six hard fouls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

better than nenad krstic?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Sounds like a part time player that just isnt gonna make much of a differrence.

Its like going on a blind date when your date is described as nice, good personality & down to earth...translation- ugly

Vitor is described as hard working, loyal, loves the Celtics, likes setting screens.. translation - limited skills

Dont expect much

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

VF apparently looks forward to his specialty......  setting screens so that lil' Rondo can pop open for his patented midrange jumper.

Apparently VF lives/breathes/plays/takes up space in a parallel b-ball universe.

LOL!

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

VF apparently looks forward to his specialty......  setting screens so that lil' Rondo can pop open for his patented midrange jumper.

Apparently VF lives/breathes/plays/takes up space in a parallel b-ball universe.

LOL!

Pud

Yeah. LOL. that was hilarious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

What T F does  Rondo have to do with what someone expects from Faverini ? Your like those old cranks that blame everything on Obama,we get it you don't like Rondo and want him traded,let's move on shall we ?

I've seen about 5 minutes of highlites from this guy,of course he looks good there his highlites,but haven't seen him in any actual games. It would be awesome if he turns out to be this All Star big in the rough like they were hoping for Fab. Hopefully he'll be able to contribute at 15 minutes a game,play D and board, I hear his nickname is Mr Indesructable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

It seems like Fav has an exceptional attitude and committed to helping build positive chemistry through hard work and cooperation, which is imperative to any team, especially one in rebuilding mode, where the Celtics are going to have to work through down times and hard challenges.

Someone like a Fav is more important to this team than the short sighted recommendations to bring problem children, like Derrick Williams, Royce White and other destructive elements because they may have potential.   

Character, attitude and team chemistry... first and foremost. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Nothing to lose with this signing.  His contract isn't bad and if he works out, great!  If he doesn't, oh well.  This was a no lose signing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

how about semih erden? not scoring much, he looks great at eurobasket tho

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I bet he gets closer to 20 MPG no matter how horrid he is.  The LAST thing I would do is put Oly underneath at center for big minutes and have him get pummled in a non-competitive season.  

Hump is too small to spend much time there as well.  But I would expect that we have another true center on the roster come December trade deadline, if not sooner.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

better than nenad krstic?

That's possible.

OMG didn't you say Nenad Krstic was an all star a few years back?? Missingteeth

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts