What Wyc Grousbeck Said

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: What Wyc Grousbeck Said

Couldn't? Or wouldn't? Depends on what the asking prices were vs. who was available, I suppose. I wasn't there that night, so I can't really say. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Since we have no idea what options were presented to Danny, we don't know what his real choices actually were.  That's why they pay him:  to make the best choice he can among what is available.  Wheeling and dealing for its own sake is Rick Pitino territory.  Patience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Wyc is a son of a billionarie.  I think his whole life and resume is a result of a very rich father.  So I don't believe much in the way of this guy being a smart on any level. He as is mentioned here opened his big mouth and hyped everything up before the draft and we now see he knew nothing. He is figure head rich kid trying to create need for himself as an owner.  Ainge is the only one who knows what he is doing Wyc brings nothing. The Celtics will be in rebuild mode until they get a chip in the draft lottery that gives them leverage.

Yesterday some were touting Hibbert as a move for Rondo.  That is how bad things are, Hibbert on a winning team was the most resounding loser.  We need to bring Hibbert in, Rondo has more guts in his pinky finger.  That is how a losing team makes decisions.  If we did not have Ainge I would worry we will become the Knicks.  Dolan is another rich kid who screws up his dad's investments. Oh I forgot Wyc is a successful hedge fund investor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wyc is a son of a billionarie.  I think his whole life and resume is a result of a very rich father.  So I don't believe much in the way of this guy being a smart on any level. He as is mentioned here opened his big mouth and hyped everything up before the draft and we now see he knew nothing. He is figure head rich kid trying to create need for himself as an owner.  Ainge is the only one who knows what he is doing Wyc brings nothing. The Celtics will be in rebuild mode until they get a chip in the draft lottery that gives them leverage.

Yesterday some were touting Hibbert as a move for Rondo.  That is how bad things are, Hibbert on a winning team was the most resounding loser.  We need to bring Hibbert in, Rondo has more guts in his pinky finger.  That is how a losing team makes decisions.  If we did not have Ainge I would worry we will become the Knicks.  Dolan is another rich kid who screws up his dad's investments. Oh I forgot Wyc is a successful hedge fund investor.

[/QUOTE]  You're not only back, you're back with a vengeance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Danny was hyping too, so he needs to walk the walk

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since we have no idea what options were presented to Danny, we don't know what his real choices actually were.  That's why they pay him:  to make the best choice he can among what is available.  Wheeling and dealing for its own sake is Rick Pitino territory.  Patience.

[/QUOTE]

+1

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktronic. Show ktronic's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"He as is mentioned here opened his big mouth and hyped everything up before the draft and we now see he knew nothing."

BINGO!!!

[/QUOTE]

Fiercy, what do you think happened with the Asik deal. The dude was traded for a 2nd round pick. With all the picks we have, they couldn't do the deal? Or is it a case of "wouldn't" do the deal? What do you think happened? #concernedaboutaingeability

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to ktronic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"He as is mentioned here opened his big mouth and hyped everything up before the draft and we now see he knew nothing."

BINGO!!!

[/QUOTE]

Fiercy, what do you think happened with the Asik deal. The dude was traded for a 2nd round pick. With all the picks we have, they couldn't do the deal? Or is it a case of "wouldn't" do the deal? What do you think happened? #concernedaboutaingeability

[/QUOTE]

Asik was traded for a 1st rounder

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

I think we all need to take a step back and realize that just because the draft is over does not mean we are out of the running as far as making a big trade. I am not suggesting that is definitely going to happen, but we still have a boat of valuable picks moving forward, as well as some attractive trade chips to use if we need to. im keeping the faith.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Are people mad that there were no "fireworks'?

He said we COULD see some. People went nuts with excitement over this?

The very fact that we had our highest draft pick since 2007 another in the teens in a loaded draft that was basically a second lotto pick, and a star who might be traded b/c he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild (like Pierce in '07) made the possibility of something big and/or crazy happening before Wyc said anything.

The fact that it didn't was simply playing the more favorable odds. It shouldn't be a knock against our owner or Ainge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The odds were against fireworks.

The odds were against Rondo being traded at the draft.

Fiercy was adament that no Kevin Love meant Rondo would be traded on draft night. He was WRONG. That was a prediction of his, not an 'idea' like when I say 'Rondo could be traded on draft night for Nash and the #7 pick' that is just a small odds fun idea that represents fair value.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A month or two ago I think I put the chances of Rondo being traded on draft night at 20-25%. 

5 days ago that was up to 35-40% in my mind.

There was still a 55-60% chance he would not be traded. I was willing to bet on him staying though, at my 60% feeling he would, and Fiercy was so confident in his PREDICTION Rondo would be gone on draft night he must have felt there was an 80-90% chance of this happening.

But he was too big a COWARD to bet on it and put his money where his mouth is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Fiercy will only make bets with me on whether a trade IDEA (not prediction), like Gordon Hayward for Anthony's expiring, pick 17 and the Clippers '15 pick, will happen. I would give such a trade a less than 5% chance to happen and be a fool to bet on it. These are bets where his gain/loss is the SAME as mine (example, leave the forum for ____ amount of time).

If this were Vegas and we made that bet, Fiercy should leave the forum for a year if it went down, I should leave for 2 weeks if it did not. There would be something like 40-1 odds on a trade like that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Let it be known that idea was a 100% FAIR VALUE offer for Hayward, a guy who shot 30% from 3's scoring 16 a game and is about to want 12+ million a year.

Pick #17 turned into James Young, a guy who will definitely shoot over 30% from 3 and who by his second season, if Green is gone and he is playing more SF, I could totally see scoring 16 a game by next season, in which he is under control for 3 years at 7-8 million with restricted free agency after that.

AND I was throwing in the Clips pick. With the moves other, not capped out, western conference teams are making and the Sterling situation throwing that franchise into turmoil I could see 6-7 western conference teams and 2-3 eastern conference ones having better records than the Clips in 2015. So A pick in the 21-22 range was offered for Hayward as well. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The odds were against fireworks.

The odds were against Rondo being traded at the draft.

Fiercy was adament that no Kevin Love meant Rondo would be traded on draft night. He was WRONG. That was a prediction of his, not an 'idea' like when I say 'Rondo could be traded on draft night for Nash and the #7 pick' that is just a small odds fun idea that represents fair value.

[/QUOTE]

I personally thought there was only about a 10% chance rondo got traded on draft night..happening only if Ainge got an offer he couldn't refuse. I eally think people are underrating the fact that Rajon is the captain of the Celtics. You don't name a guy the captain of the team then trade him the first sign that things MIGHT not be going exactly according to plan as far as building your roster around him. At least not in the Celtics organization.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I personally thought there was only about a 10% chance rondo got traded on draft night..happening only if Ainge got an offer he couldn't refuse. I eally think people are underrating the fact that Rajon is the captain of the Celtics. You don't name a guy the captain of the team then trade him the first sign that things MIGHT not be going exactly according to plan as far as building your roster around him. At least not in the Celtics organization.

[/QUOTE]

Very good points

There currently is a gap between the Rondo camp and Celtics camp over what type of long-term extension he is due. This is a FACT.

We can only assume that Ainge made offers above the 5/55 deal Rondo us coming off of. I would say something in between the 5 year 65 million dollar contract Baron Davis got at age 29 and 5 year 60 million deal Billups got at age 30 and the 5 year 80 million deal the 23 year old John Wall just signed for.

Rondo will be asking for the 5 year max around 105 million or so, the type of contract Chris Paul and Deron Williams signed at similar ages. Only Rondo has not produced like those two have so Ainge is completely within his right to offer substantially lower.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rondo has a lot of talent. He is the captain. You don't trade players like that without a lot of thought going into it and maximizing the return. 

Unless the C's get an offer they can't refuse they likely go into the season with Rondo, 100% healthy for the first time in 2 years, trying to prove he is worth 100+ million while Danny sticks to his guns that Rondo is worth 65-80 million and looks at all options out there (trade for a veteran or deal Rondo) while likely leaving the negotiations window open.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktronic. Show ktronic's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ktronic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BINGO!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Asik was traded for a 1st rounder

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. We have plenty of those too. I think he's worth a 1st round pk.  ??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

“I’ve got confidence that with all these picks and these young guys and our willingness to spend money that we can get there,” he said. “We’re a patient group. We will take a multiyear plan if that’s what it takes. But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/13/wyc-grousbeck-optimistic-about-celtics-future/9Y4daFeyW58XZBIxqmmw6O/story.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/13/wyc-grousbeck-optimistic-about-celtics-future/9Y4daFeyW58XZBIxqmmw6O/story.html

[/QUOTE]

"but I think this June there COULD be some fireworks". "we've got so many pieces to this puzzle that WE MIGHT BE ABLE to shake loose a piece or two" - Wyc

"That's why expectations were so high" - Fierce

Cause people turned those statements into what they'd rather hear? There's nothing definitive being said there. Just some maybes. Are you defending people with comprehension problems? Then again, in our convo last night, you had gotten it wrong as well. You had said, Wyc said there "would"" be fireworks. And as you can see for yourself, that's not what he actually said.

I had forgotten all about your Rondo/Draft night prediction. Is that why you're so up-in-arms? You didn't get to wave your banner on Thursday night. Has anyone smeared it in your face? bumped old posts up for a reminder to everyone of your failed prediction? Or even made statements like "A source not so reliable said blah, blah, blah"? Just wondering, cause I certainly wouldn't. It's juvenile.

Sections
Shortcuts