What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbestgolf. Show bobbestgolf's posts

What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?

The way the season has been even if we make the playoffs it's only for the first round. Why not accept the season as completed and use the picks and terminating contracts too rebuild. It seems that we are always one step behind getting new talented players to add and the Big 3 are just getting older etc. So accept who we are ad get on with the rebuilding. All comments welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?

Last time we were in the lottery... it turned out great. Didn't get Durant. Didn't get Oden. Got Jeff Green instead....

No problems from here.

I'd get to enjoy the PO without tying myself all up in knots.

There are far worse fates that ending up lottery bound.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I wouldn't advocate tanking the season, but also highly doubt there's any deals Ainge can make now that will dramatically change the path of where this season is headed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?:
    The way the season has been even if we make the playoffs it's only for the first round. Why not accept the season as completed and use the picks and terminating contracts too rebuild. It seems that we are always one step behind getting new talented players to add and the Big 3 are just getting older etc. So accept who we are ad get on with the rebuilding. All comments welcome.
    Posted by bobbestgolf

hhhmmmmm......... what's so bad about getting lottery picks?  well let's phrase it a little differently......  what is so bad about adding what will be the best player on the roster?

I cannot think of anything wrong with that.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?":
    as long as it's a top 5 pick. that's where the difference makers are in this draft. anthony davis andre drummond harrison barnes thomas ronbinson jared sullinger Posted by ricky12684
    There are others depending on who else comes out. GilChrist is an example of someone who long term will be a star. Remember that Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant were NOT top 5 picks.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

If we keep Rondo, we HAVE to go big - I hope we are all in agreement on that!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?:
    In response to "Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick?": There are others depending on who else comes out. GilChrist is an example of someone who long term will be a star. Remember that Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant were NOT top 5 picks.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Pierce was widely viewed as the 2nd pick as the draft was approaching and then teams went with a little more size like Jamison and Dirk..... Kobe was a lottery pick that was picked went before it was sexy to pick high school players.... but everyone has an opinion.....  bad uninformed ones but opinions nonetheless.....  the point is that either way you get a much better player than where Danny has drafted over the years... the two times he had a chance to draft actual talented players he traded Jeff Green and Wally S's (contract) for Ray allen and he traded a lottery pick for the gun in the pillow case man.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

tank games, trade the old guys for anything and everything we can get, build around rondo, green and the young guys. then add a big name FA next year. nothing good will come of this current core. their time has come and gone. it was fun. but it's over. time to move on.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

You want a lottery pick? Offer KG's contract on or before draft night for bad contracts PLUS the lottery pick of that team. Cap space for a lottery pick. We don't have to be bad to get a lottery pick. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

The only teams offering anything for KG are teams that think they are a back up jumpshooting powerforward with nothing left other than an ego are contenders willing to eat the rest of his contract and guess what..... they don't have a lottery pick coming..... do you even understand the league?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : The only teams offering anything for KG are teams that think they are a back up jumpshooting powerforward with nothing left other than an ego are contenders willing to eat the rest of his contract and guess what..... they don't have a lottery pick coming..... do you even understand the league?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

His contract will be up!  We take bad contracts from a team PLUS their lottery pick.  KG retires, and the team he's traded to gets salary cap relief to sign a FA.  Very simple!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : His contract will be up!  We take bad contracts from a team PLUS their lottery pick.  KG retires, and the team he's traded to gets salary cap relief to sign a FA.  Very simple!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Let me add the N to no sense.... nonsense.... the teams that want to add a jumpshooting powerforward with an ego and almost nothing left are CONTENDERS..... and will not have a LOTTERY pick...... duh.... wake up

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

You want a lottery pick? Offer KG's contract on or before draft night for bad contracts PLUS the lottery pick of that team. Cap space for a lottery pick. We don't have to be bad to get a lottery pick. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

What contract of KG's coul be offered?
    His contract is over once Boston's season is over.
    Boston will retain is Rights but I doubt any team does a sign and trade for KG.
    He might retire anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : hhhmmmmm......... what's so bad about getting lottery picks?  well let's phrase it a little differently......  what is so bad about adding what will be the best player on the roster? I cannot think of anything wrong with that.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Really?? And who might that be?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

In Response to Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : His contract will be up!  We take bad contracts from a team PLUS their lottery pick.  KG retires, and the team he's traded to gets salary cap relief to sign a FA.  Very simple!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

What team will be willing to give up a lottery pick?
    Since the minimum team salary will rise next year, teams need to keep payroll on the books.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : Really?? And who might that be?
    Posted by CASox

Year after year after year after year after year after year we are told that the player(s) that Danny has drafted just need development, they are the sleepers, the steals of the draft, etc.  What we find out is that the players Danny drafts are none of those things..... what we do find out is that the players taken at the top of the draft are the best players in the league...so while Danny is explaining how Avery Bradley has nothing but upside John Wall is well ummm John Wall and Blake Griffin is well Blake Griffin......

As I said in a post yesterday....

let's go with the most basic of all premises....

you cannot win without all-stars...

22 of last years 24 all-stars were lottery picks...

the Cs have none in their prime and therefore have no chance of competing....

this years finals will include some mixture of the following.... LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Rose, Noah, Deng, Harden, Westbrook, Durant, Dirk, Marion, Kidd, Odom, Carter, etc....... notice a trend?

Last years finals included Dirk, Terry, Kidd, LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc.

In the finals where the Cs won they beat a Lakers team with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, etc.....  Lottery picks........

The odds of getting an actual player exists almost exclusively in the lottery and therefore better than anyone on the existing roster.....

When the Heat beat the Mavs a few years ago... the Glove, Antoine, White Chocolate, Shaq, Wade, Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Marion, etc. were the main combatants....  something in common?  lottery picks....  alarm went off... stop hitting snooze...

Do you watch the NBA? Give me any lottery pick coming out of school after many of the best players stayed in because of the lock out and he will be the best player on the roster, period....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to What's so bad about be a Lottery Pick? : I agtree with standing pat and waiting for the draft.........the unfortunate thing is that as it stand right now I doubt we will get into the lottery to the point where it will make a difference.  Getting into the lottery in the Eastern Conference is going to be hard.........even if we were to tank the season the EC is so weak that we would still probably make the 8th seed. I doubt whether we will finish behind the likes of Toronto, Nets, Milwaukee, Cavs, Pistons, Wizards and Bobcats..unless the Big 3 get injured together.  I would like to see us unload KG or RA for a good player and a lottery pick........although who would make that trade.........I am afraid it is going to be awhile before the Celts rise again.
    Posted by damfuno

What is amazing to me is the gigantic chasm between what ownership thinks and what the fans think.... ownership thinks that it is absolutely essential to put a championshop contender on the floor and they are somehow too smart for the fans to think that they have done otherwise.... the fans are actually much smarter and realize that they are deluding themselves, in an effort to delude the fans, into thinking they have put a championship team together.........

They have beaten 4 teams with +500 records, one was missing the MVP, two were against the Magic who were struggling at the time, and Indy.....  they barely beat bad teams and cannot beat good teams...  the point guard is a diva who decides when and if he is going to play, they have no quality on the bench, and they are aged in the starting lineup, they are about a game away from having the same record as the team in Minnesota (who happens to have the best point guard in the league with the initials RR - the Cs used to hold that claim but a 21 year old Spaniard with English as a second language now holds that title).... they have played the most home games and the fewest road games, they will come back from the road trip under +500 unless the Mavs continue to lose players (West, Beaubois, and someone else is out), and maybe they can phone ahead and have Westbrook or Durant or Harden miss a game, and Cleveland is missing Varejao.... so maybe they can continue to delude themselves into thinking they are good by beating bad teams and then by beating good teams missing their best players... they beat Memphis without Randolph and Allen, they beat Toronto without Bargnani and Bayless, etc......... I originally predicted 38 and 28 but I thought that perhaps they would come into the season in shape..... and now that they are in shape, it is easy to see that they have no depth, a lousy bench, and that is about it....

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts