What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : I am a huge Celtics fan, I am 48 years old, played basketball since I was about 5 at the church parking lot in Stoughton.  Got into high school and played on the blacktop a lot in Brockton.  Grew up with Cowens, JoJo, etc. then Bird, then everyone else. What I have become is an objective observer and a critic of homerism and blindness. If you have read what I have written most of what I write has nothing to do with the players it is the blind-laundry-worshipping by people who think they know a lot about basketball.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Dudder just exposed his fatal flaw. He is just like a couple other Rondo deniers. They suffer from "Former point guard pathology"...their hoop dreams were never fulfilled so they will spend their lives in point guard envy envisioning that they know better....

As for me..former power forward who just loved point guards like Rondo. Hated the ones who shot all the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Guess I don't need to write 1000 words - something this simple will do......  "most of Rondo's shots are jumpers and he shoots 45%"........  none of those shots are contested and any point guard of any value given those shots would shoot 90%........  that should do it. Rondo is the automatic double off guy.....  but it is easy to ignore everything that is said and written and somehow use a ridiculous stat to support his or her argument..... Doc Rivers after the finals - "Rondo's inability to shoot really hurt us in the playoffs" Coach K - "we can't afford to have players on the floor who can't shoot" I forget the exact game but it has happened any number of times - announcer 1 "if Rondo could start hitting that shot blah blah blah"... announcer 2 - "there is a reason he is that wide open".... While looking for someone to pass the ball to in order to get an assist, he missed a layup in the all-star game.... nuff said.

I had to laugh recently. J/C suggested that Rondo will use picks to get open jumpers.

For that, J/C wins the Pinocchio Award for his relentless pursuit of da troof!

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Did you ever notice how many times the Dud uses a single incident or a single game to "prove" his ridiculous arguments?  No, Dud, it's not "nuff said" ESPECIALLY in an All Star Game.  In fact, I think it's very Celtics-like to look to pass in an All Star Game.  I know you disagree - in your opinion, the only mark of a good player is how many points he gets.

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to imagine that your little bio is real.  Why? Because anyone who grew up in the Boston suburbs would believe that there are two things that mark a really good team:  committment to defense and unselfishly passing the ball.  That's the Celtics Way, and Rondo embodies that Way every time he steps out on the floor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Did you ever notice how many times the Dud uses a single incident or a single game to "prove" his ridiculous arguments?  No, Dud, it's not "nuff said" ESPECIALLY in an All Star Game.  In fact, I think it's very Celtics-like to look to pass in an All Star Game.  I know you disagree - in your opinion, the only mark of a good player is how many points he gets. I'm sorry, it's hard for me to imagine that your little bio is real.  Why? Because anyone who grew up in the Boston suburbs would believe that there are two things that mark a really good team:  committment to defense and unselfishly passing the ball.  That's the Celtics Way, and Rondo embodies that Way every time he steps out on the floor.
    Posted by jerrycole[/QUOTE]

Every word drips with sarcasm as the hunter stalks his prey, moving in for the kill.

This is sadomasochism in its purest form.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : I am a huge Celtics fan, I am 48 years old, played basketball since I was about 5 at the church parking lot in Stoughton.  Got into high school and played on the blacktop a lot in Brockton.  Grew up with Cowens, JoJo, etc. then Bird, then everyone else. What I have become is an objective observer and a critic of homerism and blindness. If you have read what I have written most of what I write has nothing to do with the players it is the blind-laundry-worshipping by people who think they know a lot about basketball.

OK. Let's take you at your word.   My next question is whether you are happy when the Celts win?  Whether you like the players or not, are you happy when they all play well together and win?   I am.  Love it when they win.  Some like Perk drove me crazy with his dump offensive skills, but I still loved it when he played his role and we won.

I'm just trying to get to know you.  Do you love it when the Celts win and the players all play their role in the win?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Nothing I say about Rondo matters and nothing any of you say matters, here is what the experts think......  the debate about whether Rondo is the best or the second best or the third best, etc. is largely irrelevant..... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG

Maybe if you listened to the experts (guys who played the game and not stat men)  on TV you wouldn't be so lost.  Of course that would require you to actually watch a game.  Don't worry Dudder I remember one of your earlier statement from a while ago. " I didn't see the game"  That proabably still applies.  I wish you would keep reminding everyone on one of your posts the other day  "I have forgotten more about basketball than the posters on this board every now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Nothing I say about Rondo matters and nothing any of you say matters, here is what the experts think......  the debate about whether Rondo is the best or the second best or the third best, etc. is largely irrelevant..... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG

Actually the experts picked him to be on the all star team.  This board is amazing.  Rondo is a very good pg who will never be great because he can't shoot.  There is nothing more to be said.  This subject is closed forever.  ha.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Heckuva link. I mean other than being for fantasy basketball and what not. Oh look on the forward position it has antwain Jamison ranked higher than KG. Shaq is rated lower than Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown. Rudy Gay is rated above Paul Pierce and Dorell Wright is rated above Sugar Ray.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

You've got to admire the Dud for one thing.  No matter how many times his arguments are made to look ridiculous, he just keeps on using them.

The Dud forgot to mention that the CBS ranking of NBA guards he keeps citing is from their fantasy league!!  What's most ironic is that it's based on stats!  Not all the stats, and with the greatest weight given to scoring, but stats nonetheless.  To think that Dudder has sunk so low.  And don't you love his genuflection to "the experts"?  "Experts" there means the two geeks who were asked to throw together a fantasy game in order to keep some of their audience.

[I have unfortunately forgotten which poster first pointed the above out.  I would have loved giving him or her the credit for this.]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Every word drips with sarcasm as the hunter stalks his prey, moving in for the kill. This is sadomasochism in its purest form. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

I have to admit that I can't help kicking you when you are down. You've made a sad spectacle of yourself in this denial of Rondo and rather than feel sorry for you I have only disrespect.

We have had two of you Rondo deniers admit they were former point guards...are you one too?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

The only contributors to the Rondo issue, at this point, are the extremists at both end of the spectrum, and both camps are equally wrong (emotionally invested rather than intellectually logical). 

The Rondo "deniers" (what ever that means) are trying to make a point that the Rondo lovers (to equate labels) are overly exuberant about Rondo's overall ability and comparison with other PGs...and the Rondo megalow enthusiasts brace against this blasphamy and personally attack the "deniers" while repeating the same defense over and over without recognizing Rondo's flaws...

For you selective readers - The facts are (as if they haven't been hashed over and over and over:

1. Rondo is not a complete player. Period.  He has major strengths and weaknesses (reread the posts)

2. Rondo is one of the best or the best in the game at certain skills

3. Rondo lacks certain fundamental skills

4. Rondo is good for the Celtics

5. Rondo was an all star and all defensive team selection becaause his overall strengths generally out-wiegh his weaknesses.  

6. IF Rondo were on a team comprised of different supporting players it is likely that he would not be as effective (Perk is analagous)

He is neither better nor worse than the top 8 PGs.  He is both. Comparisons cannot be compartmentalized.  There are too many subjective factors to consider. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA. Rondo is a key to making that a reality.   That is the bottom line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : I have to admit that I can't help kicking you when you are down. You've made a sad spectacle of yourself in this denial of Rondo and rather than feel sorry for you I have only disrespect. We have had two of you Rondo deniers admit they were former point guards...are you one too?
    Posted by gtown07[/QUOTE]

I love your tongue in cheek humor, g-string.

It suits you perfectly.

Thanks for the boost.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

I got a real kick out of Tim Legler today leaving Rondo off his top 5 PG's...There is NO WAY Steve Nash is better than Rondo. Nash might not even be the best PG on his own team...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : OK. Let's take you at your word.   My next question is whether you are happy when the Celts win?  Whether you like the players or not, are you happy when they all play well together and win?   I am.  Love it when they win.  Some like Perk drove me crazy with his dump offensive skills, but I still loved it when he played his role and we won. I'm just trying to get to know you.  Do you love it when the Celts win and the players all play their role in the win?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I see you never got a answer from Dudder on this one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a8974ef00-54ce-4ed2-b17f-4781f5ac37a1&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:8974ef00-54ce-4ed2-b17f-4781f5ac37a1Post:f635e100-7c3d-435c-bf72-52a481b7135b">What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??:

You must have missed the last 5 games..... Foot in mouth

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Everyone in Boston will be awake come playoff time. The guys just need their 2nd wind. Hopefully that will come in the form of Shaq & J-O. We dropped 7 of our last 10 before the playoffs last season & we seemed to answer the bell in time... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Well, that's true for some folks......realistic assessment and objective evaluation.  But for some folks (Dudder), its just a plain old dislike for Rondo and thinking the Celts are at a disadvantage with Rondo.   You can't deny that some of the posts are beyond "evaluation and discussion" and on to hate and criticism.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

As I have said over and over and over again.  I have nothing against Rondo - what I dislike and find foolish is how posters here overrate him.  I draw the ire of everyone because I call it like I see it and everyone else (save a few) look at Rondo through green colored glasses and simply don't see it.

So when I say Rondo is the worst shooter in the league - people hold up his shooting percentage as some sort of evidence to refute - well if most of my shots were layups I would have a good shooting percentage as well - what has happened to his shooting percentage since his coach told him to start taking more shots that have been gifted to him by the opponent for the last 5 years?  1 for 10, 2 for 10, 3, for 11......

So when I say Rondo is a terrible finisher - he gets to within 2 feet of the hoop and he kicks it to someone 20 feet away from the hoop and the byproduct is an assist.  Most point guards take the ball to the rim and then don't wet their pants if they have to go to the line.

He is commandeering an offense that is in the bottom third in the league in scoring.

So when I say Rondo is overrated ummmm he is overrated and nowhere is he overrated more than right here.

I have nothing against Rondo, he is what they have and he is not going anywhere.  There are those idiots that like to profess how Danny got a steal when he signed Rondo to a new deal - Danny knew exactly what he was getting and at this point Rondo is vastly overpaid.

Rondo is going nowhere for the next several years but what may go away is the overinflated value of a player who is overrated and after 5 years of being a professional has made no measurable improvement in his weaknesses.  I remember when Larry Bird went home in the offseason and it was readily apparent when he came back in the fall he had been working on shooting and dribbling with his left hand.

Rondo works on roller skating - if you have the cajones to state that you are the best at what you do in Sports Illustrated but at the same time cannot be more overrated, it is no surprise that his weaknesses have not been addressed.

Add to all of that nobody in the league benefitted more from whom they play(ed) with than Perk and Rondo.  Give Rondo Tony Allen instead of Ray Allen, Caron Butler instead of Pierce, Blatche instead of KG, etc. he would average 6 assists per game and still be pounding the ball into the floor waiting for someone to get open, we would also then see that his actual shooting percentage is in the 30s.

We are seeing now that when guys are not making their shots, Rondo's assists go down.  Maybe there is something to be said for being able to shoot - you know ummmm like a point guard.