What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??

Last time i checked when we were playing meaningful basketball in the association Rondo was being praised as the playoffs MVP....The diving play vs Orlando? The triple double vs the cavs in Mother's day? Yeah, those happened. Sure, he has some plays here & there that leave you scratching your head but who doesn't. I'll tellyou what he shows up a hell of a lot more than Chris Paul, or steve nash.. 

Rondo is one of the most unselfish players i have ever seen. he is a throwback to the days when guys weren't friendly towards their opponents. He is the ultimate competitor & one of the most exciting players in the game....GET OFF HIS BACK!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??

I think the uproar is caused by the fact that realism is being misinterperted as criticism.  Opinion, discussion and assessment about a player's strengths and weaknesses is fundamental to this board. 

Rondo is very good and maybe the best in the NBA at certain critical skills and he is a great fit for the Celtics team.  He is however bad at some other skills and those deficiencies can negatively affect the team. Some people here refuse to acknowledge that.  Now clearly his overall strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses in the big picture.  Now if someone wants to label that as criticism, then so be it.  I would venture that the same people also defended Perk to the hills and will continue to blindly follow their myopic fan lust and lash out against anyone offering a difference of opinion about their respective Celtic favorite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism??:
    I think the uproar is caused by the fact that realism is being misinterperted as criticism.  Opinion, discussion and assessment about a player's strengths and weaknesses is fundamental to this board.  Rondo is very good and maybe the best in the NBA at certain critical skills and he is a great fit for the Celtics team.  He is however bad at some other skills and those deficiencies can negatively affect the team. Some people here refuse to acknowledge that.  Now clearly his overall strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses in the big picture.  Now if someone wants to label that as criticism, then so be it.  I would venture that the same people also defended Perk to the hills and will continue to blindly follow their myopic fan lust and lash out against anyone offering a difference of opinion about their respective Celtic favorite.    
    Posted by Eldunker

Well, that's true for some folks......realistic assessment and objective evaluation.  But for some folks (Dudder), its just a plain old dislike for Rondo and thinking the Celts are at a disadvantage with Rondo.   You can't deny that some of the posts are beyond "evaluation and discussion" and on to hate and criticism.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think the uproar is caused by the fact that realism is being misinterperted as criticism.  Opinion, discussion and assessment about a player's strengths and weaknesses is fundamental to this board.  Rondo is very good and maybe the best in the NBA at certain critical skills and he is a great fit for the Celtics team.  He is however bad at some other skills and those deficiencies can negatively affect the team. Some people here refuse to acknowledge that.  Now clearly his overall strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses in the big picture.  Now if someone wants to label that as criticism, then so be it.  I would venture that the same people also defended Perk to the hills and will continue to blindly follow their myopic fan lust and lash out against anyone offering a difference of opinion about their respective Celtic favorite.    
    Posted by Eldunker

Well put.. agree 100%

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i dont thnk Rondo is BAD at any part of his game except for free throws. his shooting is hesitant, but he shoots 45-47% so its not bad. and you know the rest about him. i just feel like the duds and puds and acies act like Steve Nash plays great defense and is a good rebounder,hes not. Rose is a all nba defender and great passer,hes not. Deron Williams and Chris Paul bring it every single night. THEY DONT. so Rondo seems to be the only pg mentioned whos weakness is magnified, its biased and wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I think, he shoots 45-47% because of layups and floaters in the paint, and those are majority of his shots.  It got to be way below that for jump shots 10 feet out.  If he can do just a little bit better in outside shooting such that people has to respect it a little bit, Rondo could be so much better than he is now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

i dont thnk Rondo is BAD at any part of his game except for free throws. his shooting is hesitant, but he shoots 45-47% so its not bad. and you know the rest about him. i just feel like the duds and puds and acies act like Steve Nash plays great defense and is a good rebounder,hes not. Rose is a all nba defender and great passer,hes not. Deron Williams and Chris Paul bring it every single night. THEY DONT. so Rondo seems to be the only pg mentioned whos weakness is magnified, its biased and wrong.
    Posted by JamezHill24

Think about it.. Why would a Celtic fan be biased against Rondo?

I know he was put on the all defensive team last year but that was a joke imo.  He got there cause of all the pub he was getting and his steals... but many of those steals and steal attempt had a price to pay.  Rondo cant fight thru picks, hes constantly forced underneath and many times loses his player.  Lots of steals come from his swipes from behind... thats cause his player got away from him, its feast or famine then.

Just like Lebron.. watch Lebron over a period of time, he is not a good defender..hes lazy most of the time BUT... he got lots of ESPN highlights chasing down guards on breakaways and swatting away their shots in spectacular fashion...BINGO!!! All defensive team.

I cant buy into the hype... not when Im seeing something different with my eyes.

Rondos FTs...enough said 

Every player has things that can be pointed out ... KGs refusal to post up... inability to finish strong in traffic under the hoop...blah blah blah... it goes for every player..

Rondo has parts of his game that are bad, that cant be denied.  Its a matter of personal opinion of what those are. Stats dont tell the story... even Rondo gets outscored big time by some opping PG's...that doesnt tell the story either.

Let s just no go on saying Rondo has no weaknesses other than FT's...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Posted by Eldunker

In agreement.

My only concern with Rondo is when our shooters can't get open looks because defenses sag off him due to the fact he can't hit a jumpshot to save his life, and he's been in the league a few years.

The "ignore Rondo" defensive philosophy could be a major liability in the playoffs against certain teams. It was last season against the Lakers in the Finals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Where`s the Dudder? Did he switch to OKC W/ nate?Why isn`t runrunrun congratulating Danny for bringing in three white guys, two of them international players? Could they hae runrunrun off with one another? pleasepleaseplease.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Well, that's true for some folks......realistic assessment and objective evaluation.  But for some folks (Dudder), its just a plain old dislike for Rondo and thinking the Celts are at a disadvantage with Rondo.   You can't deny that some of the posts are beyond "evaluation and discussion" and on to hate and criticism.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

You and your ilk still cannot accept what I have written.  It has nothing to do with Rondo's skills or lack thereof.  It has to do with the idiots that overstate his skills and thereby rank him as one of the best.

Posters / fans / bloggers love to talk about how Rondo is the best rebounding point guard in history (as if he is averaging about 30 boards per game when the fact is he is near the top).

Posters / fans / bloggers love to talk about how Rondo leads the league in steals, etc. when in fact he does not.  Reading here you would think he averages about 18 steals per game while there are a bunch of guys around 2.  The fact is he does not even lead the league in steals.

Then for the rest of Rondo's game it revolves around the shortest word in the language that separates the decent from the great - "if"..... if Rondo learns how to shoot free throws, if Rondo can make a consistent jumper, etc.

Well the fact of the matter is Rondo is near the top in steals and rebounds but is very simply the worst shooter in the league.  Tommy H (separated at birth from Fred Flintstone - loud mouth blowhards with nothing to say) once said on WEEI well of course Chris Paul is considered better because of course he went to school for 4 years and plays with much better players.....hmmm.. so a player that plays with nobody that will ever go to the hall of fame who can shoot, shoot 3s, can shoot freebies is only a year older than Rondo and only attended 2 years of school and was deemed can't miss coming out of school is not as good as Rondo who went to school for the same number of years but avoids shooting, cannot finish, cannot shoot, cannot shoot freebies, cannot shoot the 3 is better than Chris Paul... hmmmm.

It is not the criticism of Rondo, it is the criticism of the idiots that cannot be objective but keep thinking they are worse, defending it.

Try this on for size......

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

What I will say is analysts tend to focus a lot more on what Rondo cannot do than other players of his stature.  As I always say, he was drafted at 21 for a reason, he has key weaknesses.  That said, he has massive strengths and if he is not at his best in the playoffs, we do not get the ring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

all players have weaknesses............Rondo is a great player. He is progressing though...for crying out loud, he is still young and learning
    Posted by sday4x4

Before you commit the letters g - r - e - a - t to cyberspace can you at least give it some thought.  If you are not one of the best of your generation you are not great.

Are the coaches for Westbrook, Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Brooks, Udrih, Rose, etc. still waiting for them to learn?

Rondo is less than a year younger thant Williams and Paul and their coaches are not waiting for them to learn how to shoot? 

Other than a BIG there are no GREAT players in the league in year 5 of their career that are still learning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Posted by JamezHill24

Paul and Williams recognize shooting as part of their job - Rondo avoids it.  Paul and Williams recognize getting to the line as part of their job - Rondo avoids it.  Paul and Williams recognize shooting threes as part of their job - Rondo avoids it.

Paul and Williams don't have 4 guys going unanimously into the hall of fame on their very first ballot - Rondo does.  When Rondo was in junior high his current 4 starters were already going to the hall of fame.

Paul and Willliams are required to be essential parts of their respective team's offense.  Rondo makes a pass only when it is apparent that he will get an assist, then two things happen - he gets p issed if the guy he passes the ball makes another pass and Rondo runs and hides in the cornder and screams for the ball as if one of his teammates would ever consider passing the ball to him.

If most of your shots are layups and you can barely shoot 50% and most of the shots that you take are completely uncontested and you barely catch iron then who cares if you shoot 45% or 47%.

When John Stockton had back to back seasons of over 14 assists per game (which Rondo won't get - you may have noticed his assists have really dropped off since Shaq has not been around!) he shot over 50% from the floor, over 40% from 3, and over 80% from the line and may have actually led the league in steals in those years as well.

As I have said many times, it is not the criticism of Rondo so much as the idiocy that defends him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Before you commit the letters g - r - e - a - t to cyberspace can you at least give it some thought.  If you are not one of the best of your generation you are not great. Are the coaches for Westbrook, Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Brooks, Udrih, Rose, etc. still waiting for them to learn? Rondo is less than a year younger thant Williams and Paul and their coaches are not waiting for them to learn how to shoot?  Other than a BIG there are no GREAT players in the league in year 5 of their career that are still learning.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : You and your ilk still cannot accept what I have written.  It has nothing to do with Rondo's skills or lack thereof.  It has to do with the idiots that overstate his skills and thereby rank him as one of the best. Posters / fans / bloggers love to talk about how Rondo is the best rebounding point guard in history (as if he is averaging about 30 boards per game when the fact is he is near the top). Posters / fans / bloggers love to talk about how Rondo leads the league in steals, etc. when in fact he does not.  Reading here you would think he averages about 18 steals per game while there are a bunch of guys around 2.  The fact is he does not even lead the league in steals. Then for the rest of Rondo's game it revolves around the shortest word in the language that separates the decent from the great - "if"..... if Rondo learns how to shoot free throws, if Rondo can make a consistent jumper, etc. Well the fact of the matter is Rondo is near the top in steals and rebounds but is very simply the worst shooter in the league.  Tommy H (separated at birth from Fred Flintstone - loud mouth blowhards with nothing to say) once said on WEEI well of course Chris Paul is considered better because of course he went to school for 4 years and plays with much better players.....hmmm.. so a player that plays with nobody that will ever go to the hall of fame who can shoot, shoot 3s, can shoot freebies is only a year older than Rondo and only attended 2 years of school and was deemed can't miss coming out of school is not as good as Rondo who went to school for the same number of years but avoids shooting, cannot finish, cannot shoot, cannot shoot freebies, cannot shoot the 3 is better than Chris Paul... hmmmm. It is not the criticism of Rondo, it is the criticism of the idiots that cannot be objective but keep thinking they are worse, defending it. Try this on for size...... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Try reading you silly man.   I'm a Rondo fan.  I'm not one of the Rondo critics.   Attacking me and saying my "ilk" is as if you can't even read.  I'm agreeing with you that they are over criticizing!   Man, you are just bull headed and want to attack anyone without even reading what was posted!

I said its true that some people are providing objective and balanced reviews of Rondo and he does have room for improvement but he's got a LOT of attributes that make him a great PG.  The problem is that some other posters (and I gave youone example of a hater -  like Dudder but also Puddin and runrunrun) are just haters and you can't deny that there are haters on this board.  

Stop trying to attack me because I think some folks do get on this site and spend too much time hating Rondo.  Calm down and read.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Posted by JamezHill24

So you refuse to acknowledge that Rondo has the highest turnover of all PGs.  That is clearly another BAD part of his game.  and he has the lowest 3 point % of all starting PGs and that is another BAD part of his game.  We're not comparing Rondo to Nash or Rose here, we are discussing Rondo.  

If you want to compare other PGs then the real question is...would you rather have a PG that was the best in certain skills and worst in others or a PG that was more balanced.  not the best - or the worst, but acceptably competent in all skills...   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Oh, my bad.....its the Dudder who was posting that comment!.  I'm the one who can't read!  I didn't read that its the sneaky Dudder who came back with those comments.  

Eldunker - my apologies to you....I thought it was your post and it was Dudder's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Look at the team record. A fact that can't be disputed. I will go by that. Not "but if he was here or he was there." That stuff makes for good fodder but no fact. Rondo's contributions make the C's one of the best teams in the league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Oh, my bad.....its the Dudder who was posting that comment!.  I'm the one who can't read!  I didn't read that its the sneaky Dudder who came back with those comments.   Eldunker - my apologies to you....I thought it was your post and it was Dudder's.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Nothing I say about Rondo matters and nothing any of you say matters, here is what the experts think......  the debate about whether Rondo is the best or the second best or the third best, etc. is largely irrelevant.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Dudder, can you answer one question:   Are you a celtic fan?  Do you love the Celtics?   I do.  Just wondering if you do.  Simple question.....don't elaborate - just answer yes or no.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Nothing I say about Rondo matters and nothing any of you say matters, here is what the experts think......  the debate about whether Rondo is the best or the second best or the third best, etc. is largely irrelevant..... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG
    Posted by TheDUDDER

I am an expert, so are you, so is everyone else here. I am glad you see this as irrelevant. Because, it's how the team ends up that matters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: What's the deal with all the Rondo criticism?? : Nothing I say about Rondo matters and nothing any of you say matters, here is what the experts think......  the debate about whether Rondo is the best or the second best or the third best, etc. is largely irrelevant..... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Found something to support your view, did you?  You found a site that puts more weight on points per game than anything, huh?   That's like putting Hollinger's Rankings up as the gospel.  Ridiculous.

I bet that Denver, Golden State, Memphis, Philly, Sacramento, Portland, Charlotte and Houston (teams in YOUR list who have better point guards) would love to do a trade that brought Rondo to their team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Most of Rondo's shots are jump shots.  He hits 45% OF HIS JUMP SHOTS.  (The shots that he "couldn't hit to save his life", supposedly.  The Rondo-haters could look that up, but of course they won't because of what they "see".  The possibility that bias might color their views and their memory has never once occurred to them.

Re: "lay-ups":  many of Rondo's inside shot are spectacular - but you dismiss them as mere "lay-ups".  Oh, and "floaters".  Those are really easy, too, I suppose.

Despite all those jumpshots and very difficult lay-ups against much bigger players, and all those floaters in the lane (one of the most difficult shots in BB according to Tommy Heinsohn), Rondo has one of the three highest shooting percentages among point guards.  And last year, he had the highest. 

I have demolished the Dud's four Hall of Famers argument so many times it's pitiful.  Just go Back to the playoffs two years ago when there no Shaq, no KG, Ray shooting terribly, and Paul looking very tired.  That means NO ONE WAS PLAYING LIKE A HALL OF FAMER or even particularly well.   Despite that, Rondo came very close to AVERAGING A TRIPLE DOUBLE for all three playoff series combined.  In ther words, Rondo played at his best without ANY Hall of Famers.

Those playoffs and last year's are ignored by the Rondo-hater's.  They can only see the last quarter of the last game of the fourth series.  The quarter in which the Lakers were given many more FTs than the Celtics and the three Hall of Famers were clanking so many shots that the Forum sounded like a chain-making factory.

I don't write these responses to the many false accusations made against Rondo in order to educate the critics (they are uneducatable).  I do it because, like Superman, I believe in "truth, justice and the American way", and to ensure that any impressionable young minds aren't influenced by constantly-repeated lies.

What the haters get out of this, I have no idea.  It's certainly not a pursuit of truth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Dudder, can you answer one question:   Are you a celtic fan?  Do you love the Celtics?   I do.  Just wondering if you do.  Simple question.....don't elaborate - just answer yes or no.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I am a huge Celtics fan, I am 48 years old, played basketball since I was about 5 at the church parking lot in Stoughton.  Got into high school and played on the blacktop a lot in Brockton.  Grew up with Cowens, JoJo, etc. then Bird, then everyone else.

What I have become is an objective observer and a critic of homerism and blindness.

If you have read what I have written most of what I write has nothing to do with the players it is the blind-laundry-worshipping by people who think they know a lot about basketball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Most of Rondo's shots are jump shots.  He hits 45% OF HIS JUMP SHOTS.  (The shots that he "couldn't hit to save his life", supposedly.  The Rondo-haters could look that up, but of course they won't because of what they "see".  The possibility that bias might color their views and their memory has never once occurred to them.   Re: "lay-ups":  many of Rondo's inside shot are spectacular - but you dismiss them as mere "lay-ups".  Oh, and "floaters".  Those are really easy, too, I suppose. Despite all those jumpshots and very difficult lay-ups against much bigger players, and all those floaters in the lane (one of the most difficult shots in BB according to Tommy Heinsohn), Rondo has one of the three highest shooting percentages among point guards.  And last year, he had the highest.  I have demolished the Dud's four Hall of Famers argument so many times it's pitiful.  Just go Back to the playoffs two years ago when there no Shaq, no KG, Ray shooting terribly, and Paul looking very tired.  That means NO ONE WAS PLAYING LIKE A HALL OF FAMER or even particularly well.   Despite that, Rondo came very close to AVERAGING A TRIPLE DOUBLE for all three playoff series combined.  In ther words, Rondo played at his best without ANY Hall of Famers. Those playoffs and last year's are ignored by the Rondo-hater's.  They can only see the last quarter of the last game of the fourth series.  The quarter in which the Lakers were given many more FTs than the Celtics and the three Hall of Famers were clanking so many shots that the Forum sounded like a chain-making factory. I don't write these responses to the many false accusations made against Rondo in order to educate the critics (they are uneducatable).  I do it because, like Superman, I believe in "truth, justice and the American way", and to ensure that any impressionable young minds aren't influenced by constantly-repeated lies. What the haters get out of this, I have no idea.  It's certainly not a pursuit of truth.
    Posted by jerrycole

Guess I don't need to write 1000 words - something this simple will do......  "most of Rondo's shots are jumpers and he shoots 45%"........  none of those shots are contested and any point guard of any value given those shots would shoot 90%........  that should do it.

Rondo is the automatic double off guy.....  but it is easy to ignore everything that is said and written and somehow use a ridiculous stat to support his or her argument.....

Doc Rivers after the finals - "Rondo's inability to shoot really hurt us in the playoffs"

Coach K - "we can't afford to have players on the floor who can't shoot"

I forget the exact game but it has happened any number of times - announcer 1 "if Rondo could start hitting that shot blah blah blah"... announcer 2 - "there is a reason he is that wide open"....

While looking for someone to pass the ball to in order to get an assist, he missed a layup in the all-star game.... nuff said.

Sections
Shortcuts