When (not "IF") does DA trade Rajon Rondo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from atcross. Show atcross's posts

Re: When (not

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to atcross' comment:

When RR is traded I'll want to know where because, after 30+ years as a Cs fan, that will be my new team. RR is the best thing in pro ball right now. It's no accident that Kobe and LBJ are RR fans.

You, my friend are not REALLY, TRULY a Celtic fan. PERIOD. Peace!

You may be right. I may not be the kind of fan you consider a true fan. I've never lived in Boston and by rights should probably an Indiana (native state) or Denver (current state) fan. I started watching the Cs when they got Bird and pro ball started getting more TV coverage. For reasons that now escape me I stuck out the Carr and Pitino years. I cringed when Walker and Pierce were acting like children but I stuck it out. I even stuck out the year that Doc had four of his rotation injured and had to play the rooks because they fought hard and were in every game even though they were losing them all. (Btw, if memory serves that was Rondo's rookie season, not the championship year.) But there hasn't been a player I really loved watching like I loved watching Bird until Rondo. Since the advent of NBA League Pass I think I have watched nearly every Cs game except for a handful that were blacked out. A couple years I watched over a hundred games. And I have not watched a single game that was not a Celtics game. But I can tell you that when RR went down this year my enthusiasm for watching went down as well. I watched but I didn't watch all that intently. You see when RR is on the floor there is a certain artistry at work. Bird sees that. Cousy sees that. Frankly anyone who understands the game of basketball should see that. So though I may not qualify as a true Celtics fan in your estimation, I have to question whether you're a true basketball fan.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmvol. Show tmvol's posts

I cannot believe some of the posts put on this board. I have been reading this board for a long time and rarely if ever make comments. But I decided to comment here...

What is everyone's ultimate goal here? Win the title or just continue to talk about how good everyone else is other than the guys we have?

Do you all really think Ainge is incompetent? He took a team over that was far away from winning it all and was able to construct a team that did win it. A team that people complained about not winning it all rather than just getting to the playoffs which used to be everyone's goal in the days immediately preceeding Ainge.

None of this is easy. You can't just say move this piece for that one. Believe it or not, but other teams aren't just going to give the C's their best guys for our bench players in return.

As to Rondo, the team will in fact be constructed around Rondo. His on-court ability in finding guys shots simply cannot be overlooked. He can make players better because of this as they do not have to create their own shots. Only an elite few NBA players can create their own shots and convert consistently. Many think they can and look bad doing it. Paul Pierce was a player who could create his own shot. Ray Allen was not. Allen was a player who had to come off a screen. KG was not either. His assets were defense, leadership and desire which will be greatly missed. He could convert shots also in the right situations.

So it makes sense to build it around Rondo and then see what pieces we evenutally draft and who can create their own shots. I really believe Rondo would make Josh Smith a much better player as well. If the C's wouldn't have to give up more than 1 1st, I would do a deal to get Smith. Both Smith and Rondo are the same age. Add Sullinger, Bradley, Green, Lee, Humphries, Olynyk, Bass and Brooks and that is the makeup of a competitive team. It isn't without Rondo to distribute the ball because none of these guys are going to create their own shots sucessfully. Even without Smith, add Wallace back and this team can still compete. Maybe not the title which is the ultimate goal, but that is also why the assets of picks we have will become so important.

But to say this team would be better without Rondo is ludicrous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

nice posts, atcross and tmvol. off topic just briefly, i wonder who you guys would like to see as next coach. i'm liking everything i hear about brett brown.

bp

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmvol. Show tmvol's posts

I think Brett Brown would be an excellent selection.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

When RR is traded I'll want to know where because, after 30+ years as a Cs fan, that will be my new team. RR is the best thing in pro ball right now. It's no accident that Kobe and LBJ are RR fans.

You, my friend are not REALLY, TRULY a Celtic fan. PERIOD. Peace!

You may be right. I may not be the kind of fan you consider a true fan. I've never lived in Boston and by rights should probably an Indiana (native state) or Denver (current state) fan. I started watching the Cs when they got Bird and pro ball started getting more TV coverage. For reasons that now escape me I stuck out the Carr and Pitino years. I cringed when Walker and Pierce were acting like children but I stuck it out. I even stuck out the year that Doc had four of his rotation injured and had to play the rooks because they fought hard and were in every game even though they were losing them all. (Btw, if memory serves that was Rondo's rookie season, not the championship year.) But there hasn't been a player I really loved watching like I loved watching Bird until Rondo. Since the advent of NBA League Pass I think I have watched nearly every Cs game except for a handful that were blacked out. A couple years I watched over a hundred games. And I have not watched a single game that was not a Celtics game. But I can tell you that when RR went down this year my enthusiasm for watching went down as well. I watched but I didn't watch all that intently. You see when RR is on the floor there is a certain artistry at work. Bird sees that. Cousy sees that. Frankly anyone who understands the game of basketball should see that. So though I may not qualify as a true Celtics fan in your estimation, I have to question whether you're a true basketball fan.   

I never denied the fact that Rajon Rondo is one of the most gifted, athletically freakish, amazingly creative PGs that the NBA has had since I started cheering for the Celtics over 40-years ago at the age of 10. I'm originally from East Boston and lived crawling distance from Maverick Station. It was just a few minute train ride for me to North Station and the Garden. I grew up pretending I was Hondo and DJ and Tiny Nate when I played ball myself. I moved with my family to S.C. just before H.S. and actually made all state twice as a point guard. I had a few offers but decided to play Corner Back in college instead. Though I never played in the NBA, I did participate in random leagues and on teams as a PG with X McDaniel, and for a while with Ty Corbin while in S.C. during my adolescent years. I held my own with those who were pretty good NBA pros. I KNOW basketball.  As such, I understand that the proper EMOTIONAL diposition of the player combined with the correct MENTAL approach to the game, as obscure as it is may be to the average TV viewing fan, is what truly separates these amazingly gifted athletes from one another as being just great basektball players or great, consistant winners in the game of basketball. Once in a great while, you find one that has incredible of all required aspects as in MJ, Larry, LBJ, BillR, Magic, Kobe, Kareem, The Dream, Duncan, etc.. RAJON RONDO ONLY HAS ONE HALF of this successful formula. He lacks leadership ability, composure in critical moments such as arguing with officials, maturity, and has major holes in his game, i.e. FTs and is still too streaky from 10-15ft. I KNOW BASKETBALL dude, and am a true basketball fan. Ask yourself how much you really know now about what you speak and don't just get dazzled by the prettiest of plays.......I'll say it again, you don't build a house on a foundation that has cracks in it for a reason. RR has cracks all over the place. Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I am ambivalent.  Rondo could stay or he could go, either way is fine.  However, long term, he is not the one that matter.  Sure he probably helps make the team better the next few years, but that is not the time frame when we will be relavant.  It is 4-5 years down the road when things will really matter.  Rondo will be in his 30s by then, he might still be really good but his style of play requires super athleticism, so he might not have it by then.

Also no KG and Pierce to keep him in check, is he going to be better at leading when there is a vacuum of other great presence or is he going to get worse?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

I am ambivalent.  Rondo could stay or he could go, either way is fine.  However, long term, he is not the one that matter.  Sure he probably helps make the team better the next few years, but that is not the time frame when we will be relavant.  It is 4-5 years down the road when things will really matter.  Rondo will be in his 30s by then, he might still be really good but his style of play requires super athleticism, so he might not have it by then.

Also no KG and Pierce to keep him in check, is he going to be better at leading when there is a vacuum of other great presence or is he going to get worse?

Scub, you are being rhetorical with your questions. You know that without someone to guide RR, he could never lead. He can't even lead himself. He made contact with officials twice in recent past shoiwng his lack of control. His value is much higher to a contender for the coming season and the year after than he is for us right now. MAYBE a change of scenery is exaclty what RR needs to grow......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

My opinion, in answer to the OP original post, is that Rondo will be traded at the END of the coming SEASON.  

It is highly unlikely that a competitive playoff team in contention would switch PGs in the final push.  It is too disruptive and would take time to incorporate Rondo.  Plus he has a "special" game that requires offensive adjustment to compensate for his poor outside shot.  A team isn't going to change their system if they are preparong for the playoffs.  

In addition, the better teams will have late first round picks in 2014 when all the potential franchise affecting PGs will be gone.  So those needing an PG upgrade would do so, via trade, at/before the draft. and Rondo should be a top consideration.

Th Celtics will be looking for established talent in return for Rondo (Derrick Favors or Enes Kantor come to mind).  Danny has enough draft picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

Well..if Danny Ainge is telling people that he plans to build the team around Rondo..then you can believe the opposite will happen. Danny Ainge says a lot of things..and mostly what he thinks the fans want to hear..and then goes and does the opposite.

Three days ago...Ainge was telling Boston sports media that no decision had been made about KG and Pierce...yet Doc Rivers..in an interview yesterday and again today said that the deal has been in the works for some time and this was one of the factors Doc took into consideration when making his move. So..you have to ask yourself..which version of the facts is true? Personally..I tend to believe Doc.

Doc also said some interesting things about Rondo. One comment I found telling was "you never knew which Rondo was going to show up"...and he meant this in the locker room..not just on the court. There is no way the Celtics build a team around this guy if he has those kinds of personality. An all star point guard isn't the same as a franchise player and Rondo is no franchise player.

By the end of the 2013-2014 season..Rondo will be gone.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

And yet, the Celtics were ready to swap KG for DeAndre Jordan and a 1st round pick.  Right? Actually they did not want to do that because the Nets deal is was much better.  So lets take the conspiracy theory to another level.  Danny leaked the word of the trade and made every attempt to make it look illegal so that Stern could step in and block it.  He needed that because KG would not approve the trade to the Nets.  Pretty Machiavellian I would say.  By that time Doc was too far gone so Danny was able to claim that Doc decided to move on.  And then Danny put on this show of shock at Doc's departure.  Boy, this Danny guy is good!!  He worked with Doc to spin this whole yarn about how Doc told him that he is coming back.  Attaboy Danny!

Chris Fosberg put it well.  Going forward, you have to choose.  Are you in Danny's camp or in Doc's camp?  I am in Danny's camp.  Doc is now speaking from his Clippers perch.

Danny will trade Rondo if that will be good for the team.  He will not trade Rondo because a vocal segment here thinks that he is petulant.

I was not even implying that there is any kind of conspiracy theory. I am simply stating what Doc says. It's not a matter of being in one camp over the other. I think it was time for Doc to go anyhow..and I wish him well..and won't miss him as coach of the Celtics. But...Ainge has a habit of saying one thing to the fans and then doing something else. Ainge is the last GM I would accuse of kowtowing to the fans. In fact..I think Danny Change could not care less what Celtics fans think..and I think he could essentially could not care less about Celtics fans in general. It's just not his nature.

Ainge will trade Rondo next season if even part of what Doc and others have said. Especially if it turns out that Rondo is a head case who is difficult to work with...and again..Rondo just isn't the kind of player you build a team around. Simple as that.

Probably Ainge's most difficult obstacle to building the team back up (besides himself) is the fact that it's difficult to find super star players who want to come to the Celtics...and you do need a couple of super star players.

I don't wish to hold Ainge to any kind of consistency.  He has only been consistent in the fact that he will make any trade that will improve the team.  Danny should trade Rondo if he gets good value in return.  But when it comes to believing Doc or Danny, I no longer care about what Doc thinks or says.  But I do care about what Danny thinks, says or does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Mostly true, except I still care what Doc does, at least until the 2015 draft day is over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

I wish that (or wonder if it was explored) DA sent Rondo to NO instead of the Pelicans picking up Holiday. A 2014 NO 1st Rounder has some serious value depending on the protection.

I'm hoping for a Rondo-Kemba Walker swap, but not sure if CHA would be interested...they seem to be the he11 bent on being the worst team in the NBA for the next decade. We need to acquire a young PG somehow though. I don't believe Ainge when he says that the Cs are going to build around Rondo.

Kemba Walker? you got to be joking....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i think its hilarious that Rally claims he KNOWS Rondo's personality off the court, KNOWS that he is an arcehole to his teammates, KNOWS this and knows that. I also find it hilarious that a couple months ago Rally was on here claiming that "Rondo sux!!!!" and now he is trying to claim that he knows Rondo is a great smart, awesome player.

haha...wat a joke. you are a fraud.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

i think its hilarious that Rally claims he KNOWS Rondo's personality off the court, KNOWS that he is an arcehole to his teammates, KNOWS this and knows that. I also find it hilarious that a couple months ago Rally was on here claiming that "Rondo sux!!!!" and now he is trying to claim that he knows Rondo is a great smart, awesome player.

haha...wat a joke. you are a fraud.

EXACTLY, Jamez. And before you lose your mind and start calling ME names again......Jesus loves you man. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Youre just mad because we are right about Rondo's future, and you are wrong. It doesn't have to be that way. WE ARE ALL CELTIC FANS, man. I've always maintained that Rondo was a special, physically gifted player, just a that hes a terrible leader and very poor teammate. He is aweful on Team chemistry.  So stop your rediculous lying, and name calling. Grow up dude. Rondo needs to go, regardless of what our differences are. Now, if you persist, I will just ignore you. We cool?

Sections
Shortcuts