When will Doc start playing the young players?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: When will Doc start playing the young players?

In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to When will Doc start playing the young players? : A few more losses and we'll be seeing a lot more of JaJuan Johnson. Just wait a few more weeks.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I hope that you are right.  If the Celtics continue to lose games, it makes sense to give some of the young players an opportunity to gain some experience. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We should win a few games against the weakest teams in the NBA coming up.  Doc and the Big 3 will continue to play the minutes until the it all caves in.

Remember this home stand has been a disaster. To view improvement in the future on the long road trips ahead will be welcome but at this point hard to believe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Doc's still fighting for a playoff spot... any playoff spot.

Until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (which could happen soon BTW), doc will play the vets... into the ground.

Presently, we are on the cusp seeded 9th in the conference... and are RIGHT THERE if the Knicks or Cavs should falter... but we must peak at the right time.

I'm guessing April Fools day will be the make or break day for playing the rooks.

But it could come far sooner if the men in green should lose their edge and stumble.

Pud 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

We all know the answer is never.  But Doc doesn't run the team.  Danny Ainge makes those decisions despite what anyone says about a coach's autonomy.  These guys might eat, sleep and breathe basketball, but a blind man could tell you in what direction we need to head from a hoops perspective.  This is about theater and marketing and gigantic contract considerations and giving the casual fan base some marquee attractions.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Probably the same time they elect a Jewish Pope

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

I have a feeling Doc Rivers will be gone once the big three leave Boston. I just don't see how he can develop any new talent. Doesn't like or can't think out of the box, is very stubborn when it comes to using players or adapting to different circumstances. Once the big 3 are gone he needs to go or this team will just remain in perpetual stagnation as a mediocre franchise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

until the 12th of NEVER and thats a long long time

the doc is a quack

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cal9606. Show Cal9606's posts

[QUOTE]I have a feeling Doc Rivers will be gone once the big three leave Boston. I just don't see how he can develop any new talent. Doesn't like or can't think out of the box, is very stubborn when it comes to using players or adapting to different circumstances. Once the big 3 are gone he needs to go or this team will just remain in perpetual stagnation as a mediocre franchise.
    Posted by celticsfanmx[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  People seem to forget how much he stank b4 the garnett coup.  Rivers basically was going to be fired...there was no improvement going on...and how great did he look in Orlando?  Horrible.

He's overrated at best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : Exactly.  People seem to forget how much he stank b4 the garnett coup.  Rivers basically was going to be fired...there was no improvement going on...and how great did he look in Orlando?  Horrible. He's overrated at best.
    Posted by Cal9606[/QUOTE]

Wow... you must not have been posting here prior to KG's arrival.  Most who posted here were convinced that with just a little more experienced the core of Pierce, West, Perk, Jefferson, Gomes, Green, Greene, Telfair, etc. were going to become the most dominant team in the east if not the league.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]I have a feeling Doc Rivers will be gone once the big three leave Boston. I just don't see how he can develop any new talent. Doesn't like or can't think out of the box, is very stubborn when it comes to using players or adapting to different circumstances. Once the big 3 are gone he needs to go or this team will just remain in perpetual stagnation as a mediocre franchise.
    Posted by celticsfanmx[/QUOTE]

Pud is right - Doc will play the rookies a lot when the Vets are clearly not going to make the playoffs.  Right now - it looks bad but they have a long way to go.  Expect some temporary hope after playing some bad teams over the next couple of weeks.

On Doc never developing rookies, how do you explain:
    Drew Gooden was traded to the Magic under Doc and started 18 of his 19 games....as a rookie!

Tony Allen started 24 games in his rookie year and averaged 16.4 minutes

Al Jefferson came straight from high school and as a 18 year old, averaged 15 minutes

Delonte West was 21 as a rookie and averaged 13 minutes and was developed by Rivers

Gerald Green averaged 12 mpg as a rookie straight out of high school.

Ryan Gomes started 33 games as a rookie and averaged 23 minutes.  Now a pretty good player who developed under Doc Rivers

Mike Miller won rookie of the year under Doc Rivers starting 62 games and averaging 29 minutes per game.

Corey Magette averaged 18 min per game as a rookie under Doc Rivers

Pat Garrity averaged 18 min/game under Doc Rivers

I could go on and mention people like BBD, Rondo, and Powe but I think you get the point.  I'm ok with Doc not giving a lot of minutes to Giddens, Lester, Bradley, Luke H, and the other bums because he's shown that if you can play as a rookie - you get minutes.  If you can't - you sit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]until the 12th of NEVER and thats a long long time the doc is a quack
    Posted by dbeach48[/QUOTE]

I was going to say, when they get old., But i like yours better!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]Doc's still fighting for a playoff spot... any playoff spot. Until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (which could happen soon BTW), doc will play the vets... into the ground. Presently, we are on the cusp seeded 9th in the conference... and are RIGHT THERE if the Knicks or Cavs should falter... but we must peak at the right time . I'm guessing April Fools day will be the make or break day for playing the rooks. But it could come far sooner if the men in green should lose their edge and stumble . Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Pud you are correct he will play them till they drop.  Even JON is in this classification.  It is crazy but this what Doc will do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : Pud is right - Doc will play the rookies a lot when the Vets are clearly not going to make the playoffs.  Right now - it looks bad but they have a long way to go.  Expect some temporary hope after playing some bad teams over the next couple of weeks. On Doc never developing rookies, how do you explain: Drew Gooden was traded to the Magic under Doc and started 18 of his 19 games....as a rookie! Tony Allen started 24 games in his rookie year and averaged 16.4 minutes Al Jefferson came straight from high school and as a 18 year old, averaged 15 minutes Delonte West was 21 as a rookie and averaged 13 minutes and was developed by Rivers Gerald Green averaged 12 mpg as a rookie straight out of high school. Ryan Gomes started 33 games as a rookie and averaged 23 minutes.  Now a pretty good player who developed under Doc Rivers Mike Miller won rookie of the year under Doc Rivers starting 62 games and averaging 29 minutes per game. Corey Magette averaged 18 min per game as a rookie under Doc Rivers Pat Garrity averaged 18 min/game under Doc Rivers I could go on and mention people like BBD, Rondo, and Powe but I think you get the point.  I'm ok with Doc not giving a lot of minutes to Giddens, Lester, Bradley, Luke H, and the other bums because he's shown that if you can play as a rookie - you get minutes.  If you can't - you sit.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Amen! Why would you play a rookie when you can play all-stars. He did play Moore some last night and I think as the season goes on you will see more of the young guys if our record does not improve. I still see us making the playoffs and being competitive just not sold that we have any chance to win it all. If we do get more competitive I would hope it would because we develop the bench but I don't see Doc doing that unless it is due to injury. That's where I wish he would be willing to play the young guys more even if it lost us a game or more. I still believe Doc is a good coach and as said before he will play you if you earn the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : Amen! Why would you play a rookie when you can play all-stars. He did play Moore some last night and I think as the season goes on you will see more of the young guys if our record does not improve. I still see us making the playoffs and being competitive just not sold that we have any chance to win it all. If we do get more competitive I would hope it would because we develop the bench but I don't see Doc doing that unless it is due to injury. That's where I wish he would be willing to play the young guys more even if it lost us a game or more. I still believe Doc is a good coach and as said before he will play you if you earn the time.
    Posted by kccorwin[/QUOTE]

I think he's in between a rock and a hard place (and has been for 2 yrs):  He'd like to develop the bench more but the team started off so poorly and we are now so far behind in the standings that he has to play for wins and is unable to sacrifice wins.

Same situation last year except it was injuries.  He would like to have played the bench more but everyone was injured on the bench.  Everyone says play the young guys but the bench was made of JON, West, and Shaq who were injured (as was Wafer part of the time), Sasha, Arroyo, Bradley, and Murphy who all stunk every time they went in the game,  Wafer and Krstic who deserved more playing time, and Baby who got lots of playing time.   Luke got playing time and could do nothing with it and has now shown on a Cleveland team that he can't get minutes there.  

So, outisde of Wafer and Krstic - who do we think deserved more playing time....the injured guys or the sorry guys?

I'm betting we see more of Moore as the year progresses.  I also wish Doc would play Steimsma more....that kid has potential!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Our Big 3 won a championship in their first year. Miami's Big 3 couldn't. Even Olajuwon, Barkley, and Pippen couldn't do it in 1999. Doc's system works!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

And in the next year went to the Eastern Conf finals without their best big man and defensive star.  Then the next year they went within 2 minutes of the championship with their starting center injured.  Not a bad result.

I bet we'll see a different Doc if the stars fail to be in playoff position by the end of Feb.  Heck Danny might take it out of his hands by trading people to prepare for the future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : Pud is right - Doc will play the rookies a lot when the Vets are clearly not going to make the playoffs.  Right now - it looks bad but they have a long way to go.  Expect some temporary hope after playing some bad teams over the next couple of weeks. On Doc never developing rookies, how do you explain: Drew Gooden was traded to the Magic under Doc and started 18 of his 19 games....as a rookie! Tony Allen started 24 games in his rookie year and averaged 16.4 minutes Al Jefferson came straight from high school and as a 18 year old, averaged 15 minutes Delonte West was 21 as a rookie and averaged 13 minutes and was developed by Rivers Gerald Green averaged 12 mpg as a rookie straight out of high school. Ryan Gomes started 33 games as a rookie and averaged 23 minutes.  Now a pretty good player who developed under Doc Rivers Mike Miller won rookie of the year under Doc Rivers starting 62 games and averaging 29 minutes per game. Corey Magette averaged 18 min per game as a rookie under Doc Rivers Pat Garrity averaged 18 min/game under Doc Rivers I could go on and mention people like BBD, Rondo, and Powe but I think you get the point.  I'm ok with Doc not giving a lot of minutes to Giddens, Lester, Bradley, Luke H, and the other bums because he's shown that if you can play as a rookie - you get minutes.  If you can't - you sit.

Good post, and I agree!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : And in the next year went to the Eastern Conf finals without their best big man and defensive star.  Then the next year they went within 2 minutes of the championship with their starting center injured.  Not a bad result. I bet we'll see a different Doc if the stars fail to be in playoff position by the end of Feb.  Heck Danny might take it out of his hands by trading people to prepare for the future.

I think the trades are coming soon!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will Doc start playing the young players? : I think the trades are coming soon!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone on this team get traded if we are still struggling by the all-star break. 

Sections
Shortcuts