When will Rondo learn how to shoot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

When will Rondo learn how to shoot?

D Rose was not the best shooter but then worked on it, plus a 3 point shot this past summer.  What the heck is Rondo working on.  He says he wants to be the best.

When will he work on his shot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot?

In Response to When will Rondo learn how to shoot?:
    D Rose was not the best shooter but then worked on it, plus a 3 point shot this past summer.  What the heck is Rondo working on.  He says he wants to be the best. When will he work on his shot?
    Posted by BigJoedaddyBoston

He does not say that he wants to be the best - he says he is the best.  He works on roller skating.   If you are already the best why the heck would you be working on anything.  Rondo's feeling is that Rose needed to work on his shooting just to keep up with Rondo.

What most don't seem to understand is that pass-first point guard is a code word for incomplete - on this board it means "perfect for this team", "Rondo's team", "nobody would be better for this team", "clearly the best point guard in the league"........  of course nothing could be further from the truth but it is the general mindset of this board.

It goes something like this - as long as he can pound the ball into the floor, run an offense that ranks in the bottom third, cause shot clock violations and 3 second violations, miss uncontested jumpers, put tremendous pressure on the 3 guys that can actually score, then everything is just fine and how on earth would we want to have a shoot first point guard (code word - one that is complete)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

When will Rondo learn to shoot?

Never!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

That's a good point about Rondo not being complete.   He is not the best point gaurd.  He is a great player and an all star but he could be the best if he developed a consistent jump shot.   I agree that assist -only crap is B.S. !

He needs to work on it like Rose.   Rose got his spot in the olympics and now Rose will be MVP.

Rondo should take a note from Bird and Magic and kill himself to outdo Rose next year.   Get off the rollerskates and work on a shot.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

he knows how to shoot he just thinks too much.... how else would he have made all those shots in the HORSE game at last years all star.... Every time he shoots he's probably thinking am I gonna get fouled.... and so he misses most of the time... IMO thats my theory ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjohnnymost. Show ghostofjohnnymost's posts

If Rondo is oblivious to the time, effort, and dedication that Ray Allen puts into his pre-game workouts...which he gets to witness first-hand...then I'm afraid it's a lost cause. He seems to be very aloof when it comes to assessing his weaknesses and making the necessary improvements in order to further elevate his game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

When he was penetrating by his defenders for easy lay ups or feeds to teammates I thought was secondary in its importance.

Now I long for those day of blowing by defenders to the basket.  He doesn't do it anymore and his shooting is even worse.

It is a terrible problem, Rondo has to get back to his driving to the basket.  Forget the shooting he can get to that later.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot?:
    In Response to When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Watch his practice routine--he never removes the headphones. He needs to put the music away and focus on shooting. Hearing the ball rip the twine, not the tunes. Every spring posters on this site say that RR is going to spend the offseason practicing his shooting. Until I see the headphones off, I won't believe it.
    Posted by ControllerMod

this is the dumbest claim ever. bc he has headphones on?? more than half the athletes in america use music to get the prepared for a game. i know i use it before im doing ANY athletic sport, to tell him to take the music off to hear the ball go in is stupid. he has eyes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, an anti-Rondo thread. Imagine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

When he was penetrating by his defenders for easy lay ups or feeds to teammates I thought was secondary in its importance. Now I long for those day of blowing by defenders to the basket.  He doesn't do it anymore and his shooting is even worse. It is a terrible problem, Rondo has to get back to his driving to the basket.  Forget the shooting he can get to that later.  
    Posted by concord27

then you are by default mandating that the hurry the ball up the floor because broken plays are the only way he gets to drive the basket consistently these days. 

he is now well scouted and has been for a year.  drop off of him so he can't drive (and nobody in green can do business in the post).  so he has to make his scores on broken plays in the hurry up quasi-fast break.

and due to his inability / lack of desire to do much of the hurry up any more, there goes his scoring, and here comes the snoring in the celts half court offense as rondo stands still like a statue, pointing and yapping, burning up 5 to 12 seconds of the 24 clock "directing" things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAKER-Troll. Show LAKER-Troll's posts

NEVER, but as a Laker fan, I hope he keeps trying.

Too bad, he is not as good as D-Fish. Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 09CHAMPS. Show 09CHAMPS's posts

I fully expect rondo will learn how to shoot when elephants learn how to fly.

Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

I heard part of his training regimen involved throwing peas into the ocean but he managed to brick a couple of those too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

He'll learn to shoot when it's important to him.  Right now, he'd rather work on assists.................perhaps when we have NO shooters left, he will work on it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oreed. Show oreed's posts

you know your stuff, this is so true in basketball, when you think more it miss-up form thinking to much, thats why ray is so good he doesn't think about his shot, rondo thinking if he should pass or shoot looking for the open men everytime...not d-rose he thinking score everytime

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oreed. Show oreed's posts

he knows how to shoot he just thinks too much.... how else would he have made all those shots in the HORSE game at last years all star.... Every time he shoots he's probably thinking am I gonna get fouled.... and so he misses most of the time... IMO thats my theory ...
    Posted by KGLove

you know your stuff, i tell everyone this, this is so true in basketball, when you think more it miss-up your form thinking to much, thats why ray is so good he doesn't think about his shot, rondo thinking if he should pass or shoot looking for the open men everytime...not d-rose he thinking score everytime

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

That's a good point about Rondo not being complete.   He is not the best point gaurd.  He is a great player and an all star but he could be the best if he developed a consistent jump shot.   I agree that assist -only crap is B.S. ! He needs to work on it like Rose.   Rose got his spot in the olympics and now Rose will be MVP. Rondo should take a note from Bird and Magic and kill himself to outdo Rose next year.   Get off the rollerskates and work on a shot.
    Posted by BigJoedaddyBoston

Please don't use the word great for players that are not even one of the best of their generation.  It cheapens the players that are / were actually great.

When you play with 3 hall of famers and nobody guards you in the halfcourt and there are at least a dozen players that could step into your shoes and your team is no worse off and in many cases a lot better - you are not a great player.

People love to wax poetic about how his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and point to his steals and assists - he doesn't lead the league in assists, he does not lead the league in assists by very much, and his defense as has been noted by others (finally) lately is overrated.

Those are his strengths - his weaknesses, cannot finish, cannot shoot, avoids shooting, avoids going to the foul line, has not made a 3 since preseason, set the record for foul shooting in the playoffs at an eyepopping 26%.......  these are things that normal point guards do as part of their job description....

So if you are in school and have 7 classes and you are at or near the top in 3 classes but are the worst student in the entire school district in the other 4 classes - you should hardly be considered GREAT.....

When you say Rondo is a great player then you have to create a new category for the Birds, Magics, Michaels, LeBrons, Wades, and Roses.... Rondo is nowhere the class of any of those players. period. period.

Part of the problem is the overhype and sensationalizing of everything nowadays - for example when Andre Blatche was arrested for sexual assault or soliciting a prostitute or whatever it was the headline read "NBA STAR IS ARRESTED blah blah blah"... at the time he was averaging 2 points and 1 rebound, etc.  NBA?  Yes.  Star?  Hardly.  Rondo great?  Ummmm not so much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Posted by LloydDobler

Last 14 games - 37% from the field, 8 ppg, 9 apg, 0% from 3 - so he either did not take any or didn't make any, only two of the 14 games where he shot more than 50% from the line - one would say well if you take a dozen foul shots per game your % should go down - well what if you go a week at a time without taking any and then when you take 3 in a game and you only make two and in the same game miss 85% of the shots you take from the field........ how is the thread not warranted?  Rondoites please try to ignore this stat - there are point guards who will MAKE more than 5 times as many foul shots as Rondo TAKES when all is said and done.  Elite?    gotta go change my depends again.....

As I have said many many times... if Rondo played for another team and Aaron Brooks was playing for the Cs and making teams pay from three, finishing and going to the line and making 85% and taking actual routine jumpers and making them at a good clip - all while being actually guarded posters would be laughing at Rondo as a joke but because he wears green he is the best incomplete-pass-first-can't-finish-can't-shoot'can't-make-layups-can't-shoot-3s-allows-double-teams-against-his-teams-best-players-and-makes-their-offense-dysfunctional point guard in the league.

Go look up Mookie Blaylock.

While you are all waiting for Rondo to learn how to shoot - C Paul will join the east, Derick Rose will stay in the east, D WIlliams is in the east, John Wall will turn 21 soon and Kyrie Irving could join the east... and Rondo will be looking around for hall of famers to pass the ball to keep up his assists stats while ignoring his responsibilities as or being completely incapable of being a complete point guard.......

But in his own words - he is the best..... why learn how to shoot?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Please don't use the word great for players that are not even one of the best of their generation.  It cheapens the players that are / were actually great. When you play with 3 hall of famers and nobody guards you in the halfcourt and there are at least a dozen players that could step into your shoes and your team is no worse off and in many cases a lot better - you are not a great player. People love to wax poetic about how his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and point to his steals and assists - he doesn't lead the league in assists, he does not lead the league in assists by very much, and his defense as has been noted by others (finally) lately is overrated. Those are his strengths - his weaknesses, cannot finish, cannot shoot, avoids shooting, avoids going to the foul line, has not made a 3 since preseason, set the record for foul shooting in the playoffs at an eyepopping 26%.......  these are things that normal point guards do as part of their job description.... So if you are in school and have 7 classes and you are at or near the top in 3 classes but are the worst student in the entire school district in the other 4 classes - you should hardly be considered GREAT..... When you say Rondo is a great player then you have to create a new category for the Birds, Magics, Michaels, LeBrons, Wades, and Roses.... Rondo is nowhere the class of any of those players. period. period. Part of the problem is the overhype and sensationalizing of everything nowadays - for example when Andre Blatche was arrested for sexual assault or soliciting a prostitute or whatever it was the headline read "NBA STAR IS ARRESTED blah blah blah"... at the time he was averaging 2 points and 1 rebound, etc.  NBA?  Yes.  Star?  Hardly.  Rondo great?  Ummmm not so much.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Andre may have been averaging only 2 PPG at the time but he was able to find other ways to score.

And probably enjoyed a star performance too!

Pud

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Andre may have been averaging only 2 PPG at the time but he was able to find other ways to score. And probably enjoyed a star performance too! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Touche Pud.....  you made me laugh... while my mind is generally always there I did not think about it that way......udaman...  thank you for making me smile.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

SimpleIn Response to When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Simple, like           NEVER!!!!!
    Posted by RicoCeltic

Mookie Blaylock - very quick, good passer, terrible shooter, etc. - a couple of all-star teams, played on pretty good teams with some very good players - sounds familiar....

Posters here used to go on and on about how Al Jefferson's touch would make him into a perennial all-star even though he showed almost no inclination of how to play, how to play defense, etc.  I used to say that Aldridge was a far superior player and people told me that I was an a hole and how dare I talk objectively about somehow that is not wearing green.

Big Al plays ole defense, never made an all-star team, and in year 7 may finally make the playoffs - Aldridge was biggest all-star snub by all accounts.

Now somehow I am supposed to listen to posters / people / fans that somehow think Rondo is some sort of elite point guard and that he just needs to work on it.

Some players simply do not have any touch - Rondo is one of them, Shaq is another, though Shaq has improved his touch as has D Howard.

To me it is really simple, if you are (think you are) the best in the world at what you do and you are not but continue to think you are then why on earth would you work on anything.

Rondo is such an inferior / superior complex mind that he is perplexed.  He is clearly inferior at several parts of the game (that to me are critical) and superior or close to it in a couple of areas that he has allowed his ego to convince himself that he is the best.  Imagine the ego that allows oneself to get into the face of Chris Paul who almost nobody on the planet would put behind Rondo in rankings and strut about a ring - the BIG 3 dragged him along to get a ring.  Rondo makes nobody better and C Paul ensures that his team is relevant.  The divergence between Rondo's action against Paul vs. their skill set could not be any larger.

It would be like Robert Horry getting in the face of Scottie Pippen and saying I have more rings than you....... an absolute joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Posted by LloydDobler

Its refreshing, isn't it? Rondo is never going to be able to shoot the ball. How long has he already had to work on it (and his FTs) without evidence of that effort? Three years?
    He is a mediocre point guard and will never be great. He drags the team down with him and will be a prime reason we get bounced this year. I just don't understand all those people who worship the man.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Its refreshing, isn't it? Rondo is never going to be able to shoot the ball. How long has he already had to work on it (and his FTs) without evidence of that effort? Three years? He is a mediocre point guard and will never be great. He drags the team down with him and will be a prime reason we get bounced this year. I just don't understand all those people who worship the man.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

You don't understand all those people that worship the man?

Let me help.....

They vastly overvalue his strengths, ignore his weaknesses as something to be summarily dismissed, and point to the fact that he leads the league in assists - oops he doesn't, leads the league in steals - by a c hair, etc.

Overplay the strengths, ignore the weaknesses and ignore that he is generally outplayed almost everynight and then blame it on the refs, Stern, the BIG 3, injuries, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sections
Shortcuts