When will Rondo learn how to shoot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot?

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot?:
    Sometimes these posts make me sick.  This issue is brought to this board because the Celtics are slumping.  That is the pure fact that anyone is discussing Rondo's shooting woes.  I agree that Rondo is no Rose, because they are two totally different players.  Rondo does not need to be the scoring option in this club.  We have guys that shoot the ball.  Rose has to take that responsibility on himself to be a great shooter.  When the Celtics win this subject is an after-thought.  Right now the entire team is having trouble gelling, and when it works itself out, we will see Rondo in top form. The guy is a monster in the playoffs.  He will outshine many other players... remember last year?  I think LeBron and Dwight do.  Rondo torched those two teams in nearly every game.
    Posted by elmatador1225

They are in the bottom third in the league in scoring, he is an automatic double team against one of the best players on his own team, he is left completely alone on the floor and causes 3 second violations and 24 second violations.....  the guys is a monster in the playoffs?

Well last year he broke the alll time record at the free throw lineat 26% and his coach said "his inability to shoot really hurt us in the playoffs".......  there is no doubt in my mind that if he were even a decent, not even good, just decent shooter, they would have won the title last year.

As usual, overvalue his strengths and ignore his weaknesses and then overplay his play in the playoffs and of course ignore the real problems they had in the playoffs and at the same time call him a hero......lmao

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : They are in the bottom third in the league in scoring, he is an automatic double team against one of the best players on his own team, he is left completely alone on the floor and causes 3 second violations and 24 second violations.....  the guys is a monster in the playoffs? Well last year he broke the alll time record at the free throw lineat 26% and his coach said "his inability to shoot really hurt us in the playoffs".......  there is no doubt in my mind that if he were even a decent, not even good, just decent shooter, they would have won the title last year. As usual, overvalue his strengths and ignore his weaknesses and then overplay his play in the playoffs and of course ignore the real problems they had in the playoffs and at the same time call him a hero......lmao
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Hmm, Want to guess who is at the top of the league in scoring? The minnesota Timerwolves. Behind them? Golden State. Cleveland is in the mix too. So that is a pretty poorly thought out point. The celtics offensse is effcient and what's more it doesn't hurt their defense or put the Celtics in the lottery. You forget their are multiple phases to the game of basketball.

Also Rondo did not shoot 26% from the free throw line in the playoffs he shot that in one series. He shot 85% in another series (against the cavs.) 

So let's look at those speasking about Rondo:

Magic Johnson: "Rondo is the best All around PG in the league."

Larry Bird when told Rondo can't shoot "Yeah but he can play."

Bob Cousey on Rondo: "The only celtics PG i've been excited about since mai."

The Dudder: "He can't play"

Hmm, Bird, Magic, Cousey or the Dudder? Gotta go with Hall of Famers. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Sometimes these posts make me sick.  This issue is brought to this board because the Celtics are slumping.  That is the pure fact that anyone is discussing Rondo's shooting woes.  I agree that Rondo is no Rose, because they are two totally different players.  Rondo does not need to be the scoring option in this club.  We have guys that shoot the ball.  Rose has to take that responsibility on himself to be a great shooter.  When the Celtics win this subject is an after-thought.  Right now the entire team is having trouble gelling, and when it works itself out, we will see Rondo in top form. The guy is a monster in the playoffs.  He will outshine many other players... remember last year?  I think LeBron and Dwight do.  Rondo torched those two teams in nearly every game.
    Posted by elmatador1225

Your right and in good compny. Rondo is probably the best defensive point guard inthe league. Secondon in steals an all defensive team meber. He is a good rebounding PG and along with Steve Nash the best passing PG in the league. He also is one of the top finishing point guards in the league around the basket and has shot over 50% for much of the year.  

He has weaknesses in his game. He is not as good as Rose. He is one of the best in the league though. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

There are great shooters like Bird, there are very good shooters like most all NBA players withe the exception of a few centers, there are good shooters like most players at the college level, there are fair shooters, like most high school players, there are poor shooters like most Jr High players, and then there is Rondo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Touche Pud.....  you made me laugh... while my mind is generally always there I did not think about it that way......udaman...  thank you for making me smile.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

yeah.  no.  he didn't get anything.  he solicited a cop and word on the street at the time was that she wasn't even a very good looking one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

There are great shooters like Bird, there are very good shooters like most all NBA players withe the exception of a few centers, there are good shooters like most players at the college level, there are fair shooters, like most high school players, there are poor shooters like most Jr High players, and then there is Rondo.
    Posted by Eldunker

Yeah but to quote that Great shooter bird  "He[Rondo] can play." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Hmm, Want to guess who is at the top of the league in scoring? The minnesota Timerwolves. Behind them? Golden State. Cleveland is in the mix too. So that is a pretty poorly thought out point. The celtics offensse is effcient and what's more it doesn't hurt their defense or put the Celtics in the lottery. You forget their are multiple phases to the game of basketball. Also Rondo did not shoot 26% from the free throw line in the playoffs he shot that in one series. He shot 85% in another series (against the cavs.)  So let's look at those speasking about Rondo: Magic Johnson: "Rondo is the best All around PG in the league." Larry Bird when told Rondo can't shoot "Yeah but he can play." Bob Cousey on Rondo: "The only celtics PG i've been excited about since mai." The Dudder: "He can't play" Hmm, Bird, Magic, Cousey or the Dudder? Gotta go with Hall of Famers. 
    Posted by jtkl

Then the next night Magic did a Bulls game and he said Rose is the best point guard in the league, then the next night he did a OKC game and said Westbrook is the best point guard in the league, then the next night he did a NO game and said Paul is the best point guard in the league and then the next night he did a Jazz game and said Williams is the best point guard in the league.....

then Hubie Brown being completely unprepared and completely respected saying things like "keep in mind when Pierce and Ray and KG are having off nights Rondo is one of the best shooters in the league as he shoots it over 50% and one of only a few point guards that shoot 50%".....  Hubie, he is the worst shooter in the league at any position and just because you need to hype the game and ignore any prep work we are supposed to listen to you.... sorry.... we actually watch the games......ditto for Magic - sensationalize and hype to get ratings as opposed to what is actually happening..... it is okay to open your eyes now, the ride is almost over and you have not been hurt.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Then the next night Magic did a Bulls game and he said Rose is the best point guard in the league, then the next night he did a OKC game and said Westbrook is the best point guard in the league, then the next night he did a NO game and said Paul is the best point guard in the league and then the next night he did a Jazz game and said Williams is the best point guard in the league..... then Hubie Brown being completely unprepared and completely respected saying things like "keep in mind when Pierce and Ray and KG are having off nights Rondo is one of the best shooters in the league as he shoots it over 50% and one of only a few point guards that shoot 50%".....  Hubie, he is the worst shooter in the league at any position and just because you need to hype the game and ignore any prep work we are supposed to listen to you.... sorry.... we actually watch the games......ditto for Magic - sensationalize and hype to get ratings as opposed to what is actually happening..... it is okay to open your eyes now, the ride is almost over and you have not been hurt.....
    Posted by TheDUDDER

And the stupidity continues. Notice who Magic did not say was the best? He never said Delonte West was, or Mike Bibby, or any but a handful of guys like Rondo who all belong in the discussion. Btw he said Rondo was the best all around Point guard not the single best.  Also, it's great to watch how you glazed over Bird and Cousey. I guess they just don't watch the games like you dud. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : And the stupidity continues. Notice who Magic did not say was the best? He never said Delonte West was, or Mike Bibby, or any but a handful of guys like Rondo who all belong in the discussion. Btw he said Rondo was the best all around Point guard not the single best.  Also, it's great to watch how you glazed over Bird and Cousey. I guess they just don't watch the games like you dud. 
    Posted by jtkl

If you realistically in your own heart of hearts can conceivably convince yourself to believe that Rondo is the best in the league, then you very simply cannot have any integrity whatsoever.

There were 5 point guards in the all-star game - Rondo was the distant 5th, if there is even any remote debate it would come from the likes of you and that opinion would be summarily dismissed by anyone with any objectivity at all.

p.s. Bird - Celtic, Cousy (note no E in the word cousy) Celtic......  there is absolutely no GM in the league that would trade Westbrook, Paul, Williams, or Rose - the other 4 all-stars for Rondo... and if you think any one would... go lay down on the couch, your brain has stopped working and you likely need the last rites.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : If you realistically in your own heart of hearts can conceivably convince yourself to believe that Rondo is the best in the league, then you very simply cannot have any integrity whatsoever. There were 5 point guards in the all-star game - Rondo was the distant 5th, if there is even any remote debate it would come from the likes of you and that opinion would be summarily dismissed by anyone with any objectivity at all. p.s. Bird - Celtic, Cousy (note no E in the word cousy) Celtic......  there is absolutely no GM in the league that would trade Westbrook, Paul, Williams, or Rose - the other 4 all-stars for Rondo... and if you think any one would... go lay down on the couch, your brain has stopped working and you likely need the last rites.....
    Posted by TheDUDDER

I never said he was the best. I say he is one of the best. For this team I'd only take Rose, over him. I would Chris Paul as well, if I trusted his knees. That's about it. 

Now If you say that a third of the point guards in the league are better than Rondo, then it is you have no integrity whatsoever.  Rondo is a top five point guard. The Celtics are lucky to have him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : Please don't use the word great for players that are not even one of the best of their generation.  It cheapens the players that are / were actually great. When you play with 3 hall of famers and nobody guards you in the halfcourt and there are at least a dozen players that could step into your shoes and your team is no worse off and in many cases a lot better - you are not a great player. People love to wax poetic about how his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and point to his steals and assists - he doesn't lead the league in assists, he does not lead the league in assists by very much, and his defense as has been noted by others (finally) lately is overrated. Those are his strengths - his weaknesses, cannot finish, cannot shoot, avoids shooting, avoids going to the foul line, has not made a 3 since preseason, set the record for foul shooting in the playoffs at an eyepopping 26%.......  these are things that normal point guards do as part of their job description.... So if you are in school and have 7 classes and you are at or near the top in 3 classes but are the worst student in the entire school district in the other 4 classes - you should hardly be considered GREAT..... When you say Rondo is a great player then you have to create a new category for the Birds, Magics, Michaels, LeBrons, Wades, and Roses.... Rondo is nowhere the class of any of those players. period. period. Part of the problem is the overhype and sensationalizing of everything nowadays - for example when Andre Blatche was arrested for sexual assault or soliciting a prostitute or whatever it was the headline read "NBA STAR IS ARRESTED blah blah blah"... at the time he was averaging 2 points and 1 rebound, etc.  NBA?  Yes.  Star?  Hardly.  Rondo great?  Ummmm not so much.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

I agree, he is not great.  He is very good for this team despite all the weaknesses you mention.   I think he can improve.   He is an all star and when his confidence is high he shows potential for greatness.     This is not a hate rondo.  I love all the Celtics.  I just hate watching someone whith Rondo's ability not improve to help himself and this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: When will Rondo learn how to shoot? : I never said he was the best. I say he is one of the best. For this team I'd only take Rose, over him. I would Chris Paul as well, if I trusted his knees. That's about it.  Now If you say that a third of the point guards in the league are better than Rondo, then it is you have no integrity whatsoever.  Rondo is a top five point guard. The Celtics are lucky to have him.
    Posted by jtkl

Read what I wrote as opposed to misinterpreting.......  if he were traded for any number of point guards in the league, the Cs would be no worse off and in many cases better.....

the whole "best for this team" is sheer nonsense.... what that means is if you are willing to accept lots of qualifications and an incomplete player then he is fine but if you want a better overall player then it does not really matter - do you think if you put Larry Bird under laughing gas while getting a filling he would trade his point guard who is 3 years younger, shoots 87% from the line, 38% from 3, and actual 45% from the field (not Rondo's fabricated - I only take shots when I am within 3 feet otherwise I shoot 20%), I average 5 assists and a steal and 3 rebounds but do not have 3 hall of famers to pass the ball to and oh by the way I make one fifth of what Rondo makes.... Larry would pee his pants he would be laughing so hard..... there is not even a remote chance Larry would trade Collison for Rondo but there are those that think Rondo is a top 5 point guard.....

Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Derick Rose, Russell Westbrook and those are just the few that make them better let alone just as good..... there are a whole bunch of other that make them just as good and do not skip a beat.......

Just listen to Fred Flintstone, I mean Tommy, every single possession he is excoriating Rondo to move the ball.... Rondo cannot move the ball because if he cannot ensure himself an assist he does not want to give up the ball and then once he does after winding down the shot clock or causing a 3 second violation he puts pressure on the offense to score.... seems pretty efficient well unless of course you are in the finals and score 79 points in the final game and 79 last time they played the Bulls, etc.

Top 5.....  or somewhere in the top two thirds.....  give this a shot..... burnt coffee smells really bad, stop hitting snooze

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Look all you Rondophiles, the guy is MEDIOCRE at best. TV personalities and former Celtics players are NOT going to bad mouth him. Neither will they objectively evaluate him.
    Here is the way it is: he plays good defense, maybe even very good defense, and he can pass. He is also a smart basketball mind and will make a good coach one day.
    He is quick and generally is deadly within 2 feet of the basket. He cannot shoot the jumper and he cannot shoot free throws despite being in the league for years now. He will NEVER be able to shoot the ball.
    Until someone here can name another point guard in the entire NBA who is also considered good that cannot shoot the ball and cannot shoot FTs, I am going to consider Rondo as a mediocre PG, and that is being kind.

Sections
Shortcuts