WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!:
    [QUOTE]In 20 years when people are talking about snaq, he'll be remembered as a great LAKER center. Miami and boston won't be in the mix! Snaq was at his greatest as a Laker but then greed got the better of him and eventually he fell from being dominant to slow, old and a spare part....hence he became a celtic!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

You say the most obvious things.  Of course Shaq is thought of as a Laker center.

What's wrong with you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

Ranking Top Centers in NBA History

1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Shaq O'Neal
    5. Hakeem Olajuwan

Kareem in his prime was unstoppable and did everything. He was complete player with no weaknesses. People quickly forget just how extraordinary a player he was.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Hakeem is clearly above Shaq on my list.
    Not only was he 3 times the defender Shaq was, he also made the current MVP on his position (Robinson) look like a Rookie. Plus he led a team of average guys to a title and sweept Shaq the year after that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Most rankings of great players from the Jordan Era on are like the steroid era in baseball. How can you compare Barry Bonds to Babe Ruth or Roger Maris?

Because the NBA realized that "Stars" were the key to the treasury with the success of Bird and Magic, They promoted "stars" and gave them "star call advantages". This started with MJ and the huge number of phantom calls that he got.

Shag was allowed to do things, after the Magic -Houston finals that no one but Howard, and Lebron were allowed to do in later years. Shaq could use his incredible mass to move people, and his incredible strength to hammer other players while dunking.
    While he was not allowed to do this at the tail end of his career, it was a staple during his LA days.

For that reason, it is impossible to compare players from different eras, and it is an insult to Jabar, Olajuwan, Russell, and Chamberlain to compare Shaq's statistics to truly great centers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

People trying to compare across generations, ie... "Cousy would be in the D league today", you're clowns.  The league continues to evolve and in 30 years we will likely be saying, yeah but if Jordan played nowadays.....  You are only measured against your era, because as other posters had pointed out, if Wilt/Russell/etc.. had todays training, film study, coaching from a young age, you can't say how they would have been different. 

1. Wilt. 
    2. Russell. 
    3.  Kareem. 
    4. Hakeem. 
    5. Shaq. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!:
    [QUOTE]Hakeem is clearly above Shaq on my list. Not only was he 3 times the defender Shaq was, he also made the current MVP on his position (Robinson) look like a Rookie. Plus he led a team of average guys to a title and sweept Shaq the year after that.
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.  Hakeem was far and away the best player on back to back championship teams.  Shaq won with Kobe and Wade doing a lot of the heavy lifting.  No offense to Vernon Maxwell, but Mad Max ain't quite on Kobe or Dwade's level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

Bill Russel was the fastest guy in the NBA. He got rebounds because he could anticipate, leap, and felt he owned every rebound. Just on desire alone he could play in today's NBA. He would be taking the ball away from these guys. They would have to elevate their play. Shaq played in a time when he could push his opponent out of the way. To me that was an offensive foul. How a guy who weighed 350 needed to commit offensive fouls to score made me not enjoy watching him play. It was a case of pure envy, because I was called for those. I'm not comparing myself to Shaq, just saying that to be able to push your opponent (even a little) gives you an unfair advantage, and changes the nature of the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE! : Wilt averaged 50 pts, 26 rebs per game in 1962. Never will be duplicated again. In 2007, Kobe scored at least 50 points in four games in a row to become the second player in NBA history with such a streak, joining the late Wilt Chamberlain.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]
    He was the only big man in the league and dunked over everyone. He was never really challenged.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Had the TV been evented yet when the celtics won championships on a consistent basis? Those old celtic teams played when peach baskets were used as the rim.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]
    And I believe the league only had 8 teams at the time if I'm not mistaken. Much easier road than today. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

1. Wilt. 2.Russell 3 Kareem 4. Hakeem. 5. Tie Shaq and Moses Malone

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Hakeem and Ewing are being greatly underrated in these posts. If either had the teammates that Shaq, Russell, Jabbar or Wilt, they each would have won multiple titles. Just picture Ewing or Hakeem playing muliple years with Magic and Worthy, or Cousy, Sharman and Hondo, or with Kobe and then Wade, or with Oscar Roberston and later Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Instead Ewings stud teammate was John Starks. And Hakeem got Drexler for a couple years at the end of Hakeems and Drexlers prime. Moses Malone also is being underated, put him with Worthy and Magic and he wins at least 5 NBA titles, the guy won  three straight MVPS! When he finally was teamed with an aging Dr.J the guy almost swept his way to the title!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

And lets not forget Kendrick Perkins! Apparently if he had been healthy and in the lineup the last two years his two points and five boards a game would have led us to two more titles. He has to be ranked way up there!