Where is the Celtic defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lalakerman. Show lalakerman's posts

Where is the Celtic defense?

The celtics allowed Deandre Jordan 21 and 9 and Kaman puts in another 10 and 5, at home! Allowed over a hundred points again!  Well folks Im about to put the celtics back with the rest of the pack of good teams. No longer elite like the Lakers.  Better hope Shaq comes back playing like he did with the Lakers.  No chance in hell they beat  L.A.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Re: Where is the Celtic defense?

In Response to Where is the Celtic defense?:
    [QUOTE]The celtics allowed Deandre Jordan 21 and 9 and Kaman puts in another 10 and 5, at home! Allowed over a hundred points again!  Well folks Im about to put the celtics back with the rest of the pack of good teams. No longer elite like the Lakers.  Better hope Shaq comes back playing like he did with the Lakers.  No chance in hell they beat the L.A.
    Posted by lalakerman[/QUOTE]

Beat the L.A.? What does beat the L.A. mean?

How about January 31, 2011 when Shaq and the Celtics beat the L.A. at Staples? LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lalakerman. Show lalakerman's posts

Your team is done!  The defense is not there like it use to be and even you can see that! Different team now and I know you realize that!  Lakers take them in 5 games!!! If the celtics make the finals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

ConnectingRod, why even answer this clown? We have a better record than the Lakers. we are extremely injured and still tops in the East. we went 50% the last half of the season and took the lakers to game 7 without our starting center. do you kno how long this guy has been waiting for us to lose so he can write this post? A LONG TIME. his team is now on a little bit of a role so he wants to boast, let him boast. we will see him in june.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Where is the Celtic defense?:
    [QUOTE]The celtics allowed Deandre Jordan 21 and 9 and Kaman puts in another 10 and 5, at home! Allowed over a hundred points again!  Well folks Im about to put the celtics back with the rest of the pack of good teams. No longer elite like the Lakers.  Better hope Shaq comes back playing like he did with the Lakers.  No chance in hell they beat  L.A.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nostradumbus?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lalakerman. Show lalakerman's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Celtic defense?:
    [QUOTE]ConnectingRod, why even answer this clown? We have a better record than the Lakers. we are extremely injured and still tops in the East. we went 50% the last half of the season and took the lakers to game 7 without our starting center. do you kno how long this guy has been waiting for us to lose so he can write this post? A LONG TIME. his team is now on a little bit of a role so he wants to boast, let him boast. we will see him in june.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

I really hope you make it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the Celtic defense? : You must be the biggest moron in Boston.  Since the trade your gonna tell me that the Celtic team is  better defensively then before the trade? (wipe the dumb look on your face!) .  No they are giving up more points and  Kristic is not an upgrade on defense.  The only positive is that they are scoring more.    That is not going to win you a championship

You guys get a win in San Antonio and suddenly you're acting like punks! 

The Celtics only had Perkins for 12 games this season and the Celtics were still one of the top defensive teams in the league. 

You want to talk about making it to the Finals? The Lakers will play a tough Portland team in the 1st round. An elite Mavs team in the 2nd round. Then the best team in the west, the Spurs, if the Lakers ever make it to the west finals. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The Clippers were a cruise control team for the Celtics, much like the first half of the season was for the Lakers. They expected a walk over like the last game against the clippers, and thought  that they did not have to play defense.

They were wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Clips shoot 34% from 3pt land for the season and averages 6.4 made 3-pointers per game. Last night they made 9 from beyond the arc and were 9-20 for the whole game. Can you say "they were just lucky?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

we didn't just gift the candy store to jordan on poor interior over-switching, but Mo WILLIAMS got 30 points on us on the outside.  THAT is what killed us.  You can make one gift a game but not two.  Simply horrible defense and I would also assert that at crucial times our offense ran as smoothly has a couple handfuls of bolts put down your garbage disposal.  a pathetic night overall. 

blake was sleepwalking and we gift wrapped this one for the paper clips.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I agree Acie,

unfortunately, offense comes and goes, but defense can be brought every night.

The Celtics got lazy. They did not think they needed to play defense. Defense is hard, it takes more effort than offense, and the glory part of the game is the offensive side.

Fortunately it was only one game, and it may be good for the new look Celtics to learn that they still need defense to win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

KG going 5-19 FGs is not a factor in the loss to the Clips?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

DeAndre Jordan had 7 dunks.  He opened up dunking over KG and then got some dunks off horrible switching (Krstic backing off to let Rondo go thru on an inbounds play, Bledsoe going out of bounds throwing the ball back in to Jordan standing under the basket, Krstic stepping up to challenge Kaman allowing Jordan an offensive rebound and dunk put back, Foye easily beating Ray making Krstic step up allowing for an easy alley-oop dunk by Jordan).  It's not like Jordan was dominant in the paint on basic sets.

Kaman made two outside post jumpers and two inside shots (both difficult, especially the "up high" hook layup) so I don't think our interior defense was THAT bad.  It appeared that it was so bad because our perimeter defense is was started it.

If we cannot stop guys on the perimeter, our interior defense will suffer because it's predicated on the bigs stepping up "having their backs".  That happened alot and the Clips converted alot of that.

It starts with more committment on the perimeter.  There were a few possessions where Ray and Arroyo and even Rondo bent their knees and played technically sound "MAN UP" defense.  When you do that, the chances increase for turnovers and missed shots because they are challenged.  We just did not do that enough (especially Rondo).  MoWill totally disrupted our entire defensive strategy.  Rondo cannot let that happen.

They also had guys hit huge shots at the most critical of times.  A 3 by Bledsoe, a 3 in the corner by Moon and Gomes 2 3-pointers were all critical momentum busters.  To give up 30 points or more in 3 of the 4 quarters was totally unacceptable but we were a few missed shots away from pulling it out.

Disappointing but not as bad as it seems.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]DeAndre Jordan had 7 dunks.  He opened up dunking over KG and then got some dunks off horrible switching (Krstic backing off to let Rondo go thru on an inbounds play, Bledsoe going out of bounds throwing the ball back in to Jordan standing under the basket, Krstic stepping up to challenge Kaman allowing Jordan an offensive rebound and dunk put back, Foye easily beating Ray making Krstic step up allowing for an easy alley-oop dunk by Jordan).  It's not like Jordan was dominant in the paint on basic sets. Kaman made two outside post jumpers and two inside shots (both difficult, especially the "up high" hook layup) so I don't think our interior defense was THAT bad.  It appeared that it was so bad because our perimeter defense is was started it. If we cannot stop guys on the perimeter, our interior defense will suffer because it's predicated on the bigs stepping up "having their backs".  That happened alot and the Clips converted alot of that. It starts with more committment on the perimeter.  There were a few possessions where Ray and Arroyo and even Rondo bent their knees and played technically sound "MAN UP" defense.  When you do that, the chances increase for turnovers and missed shots because they are challenged.  We just did not do that enough (especially Rondo).  MoWill totally disrupted our entire defensive strategy.  Rondo cannot let that happen. They also had guys hit huge shots at the most critical of times.  A 3 by Bledsoe, a 3 in the corner by Moon and Gomes 2 3-pointers were all critical momentum busters.  To give up 30 points or more in 3 of the 4 quarters was totally unacceptable but we were a few missed shots away from pulling it out. Disappointing but not as bad as it seems.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Rondo fouling Mo Williams on a 3-point attempt in the 4th qtr. says it all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the Celtic defense? : Rondo fouling Mo Williams on a 3-point attempt in the 4th qtr. says it all.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    P34, that's not bad defense.  That's not even defense!  That's a horrible decision by Rondo.

If Rondo decided to actually play defense and stop reaching and swiping, he would not have to worry about being called for ridiculous fouls like that BECAUSE he's reaching and swiping.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the Celtic defense? : P34, that's not bad defense.  That's not even defense!  That's a horrible decision by Rondo. If Rondo decided to actually play defense and stop reaching and swiping, he would not have to worry about being called for ridiculous fouls like that BECAUSE he's reaching and swiping.

I agree. You have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Rondo. But I believe Doc will not allow that kind of play from Rondo in the playoffs. If Rondo screws up he will be replaced by Delonte.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Fine whatever Rondo is bad, KG is too old, Ray cant hit threes

When the Celtics are going for another banner and the Lakers lose to the Spurs don't post here again. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Rondo standing at the top of the key holding the ball doesn't help our offense. The shot clock is ticking down and it usually leaves only one shot attempt (hopefully a good one)

I'm not sure what's going on with Rondo's defense. He doesn't flop/act enough on those picks to get the calls like teams would get on Perk setting screens. Hopefully he can start to pick up or moving screen fouls instead of getting our bigs in bad situations.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Even though the offense sputtered, especially KG, they would have still won if they had played a little more defense.

Allowing them to shoot more than 60% in the first half just tells me the team did not take the Clippers seriously. It was not just one player, but a collective lack of defensive effort.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

A lot of our defense went to OKC- whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]Your team is done!  The defense is not there like it use to be and even you can see that! Different team now and I know you realize that!  Lakers take them in 5 games!!! If the celtics make the finals.

There just coasting because unlike the desperate lakers they don't have to play catch up! Good luck with that third seed. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Yeah I must say something changed that team... . That defensive rotation was so fine with Perk in the lineup. Every single player knew his role and they were so well timed. Right now they are just running around on defense and trying to outscore opponents on offense. No matter how many 3 pointers or dunks I see it's defensive plays that gets me out of my seat. I surely hope by the time playoffs come around we are well oiled defensive machine. 

I do think we are more talented then before the trade... I think DA got us some good players. Krstic is the first celtic in ages(exagerated!) i've seen crashing the offensive boards like that and I do like our starting lineup right now. Arroyo is a true backup point guard. While green is so talented and could be a big time player for us during playoffs.... 

If the defense  will get along in a few weeks we'll be fine. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]DeAndre Jordan had 7 dunks.  He opened up dunking over KG and then got some dunks off horrible switching (Krstic backing off to let Rondo go thru on an inbounds play, Bledsoe going out of bounds throwing the ball back in to Jordan standing under the basket, Krstic stepping up to challenge Kaman allowing Jordan an offensive rebound and dunk put back, Foye easily beating Ray making Krstic step up allowing for an easy alley-oop dunk by Jordan).  It's not like Jordan was dominant in the paint on basic sets. Kaman made two outside post jumpers and two inside shots (both difficult, especially the "up high" hook layup) so I don't think our interior defense was THAT bad.  It appeared that it was so bad because our perimeter defense is was started it. If we cannot stop guys on the perimeter, our interior defense will suffer because it's predicated on the bigs stepping up "having their backs".  That happened alot and the Clips converted alot of that. It starts with more committment on the perimeter.  There were a few possessions where Ray and Arroyo and even Rondo bent their knees and played technically sound "MAN UP" defense.  When you do that, the chances increase for turnovers and missed shots because they are challenged.  We just did not do that enough (especially Rondo).  MoWill totally disrupted our entire defensive strategy.  Rondo cannot let that happen. They also had guys hit huge shots at the most critical of times.  A 3 by Bledsoe, a 3 in the corner by Moon and Gomes 2 3-pointers were all critical momentum busters.  To give up 30 points or more in 3 of the 4 quarters was totally unacceptable but we were a few missed shots away from pulling it out. Disappointing but not as bad as it seems.

Petey, you make a lot of good points.  But, why was it that Rondo's man was the one who killed us the most?  Everyone makes some defensive mistakes.  But, Rondo's man seemed to have MANY open looks which implies he made more than the average number of mistakes.

The reason I say the interior D was weaker than in the past is that we always have had to help on Ray and Rondo, but we're usually able to get that done with only one or two easy dunks by the other team.  Those high percentage shots by Jordan really helped them build a lead and while the play may not have STARTED with bad interior D, the help interior D was not sufficient (and its been sufficient in the past.  Ray is never going to stop Wade, Kobe, JRich, Gordon, Joe Johnson, and the other great shooting guards he has to play.  But, the help D is usually there.  Recently, its not been there and last night, it caught up with us.  

So, I still say our help defense has to improve and while we can blame Ray and Rondo as the start of the problem on the perimeter, we have a defense that is supposed to help and we've lost that edge for a while.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of our defense went to OKC- whether anyone wants to admit it or not.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Yes, we lost some help/interior D with Perk.  But, we won fine without him while he was out.  The difference is that you can't lose Perk AND have Shaq hurt AND have JON hurt AND have Semih traded AND have BBD out.  Its not just Perk, its the combination of all of these players no longer with us for one reason or another.   I give Perk some credit, but not ALL the credit.  We're missing a number of other interior D pieces.   Wouldn't it have been nice for BBD to be blocking someone out or taking a charge or Shaq taking a hard foul and sending Jordan to the free throw line last night?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the Celtic defense? : Petey, you make a lot of good points.  But, why was it that Rondo's man was the one who killed us the most?  Everyone makes some defensive mistakes.  But, Rondo's man seemed to have MANY open looks which implies he made more than the average number of mistakes. The reason I say the interior D was weaker than in the past is that we always have had to help on Ray and Rondo, but we're usually able to get that done with only one or two easy dunks by the other team.  Those high percentage shots by Jordan really helped them build a lead and while the play may not have STARTED with bad interior D, the help interior D was not sufficient (and its been sufficient in the past.  Ray is never going to stop Wade, Kobe, JRich, Gordon, Joe Johnson, and the other great shooting guards he has to play.  But, the help D is usually there.  Recently, its not been there and last night, it caught up with us.   So, I still say our help defense has to improve and while we can blame Ray and Rondo as the start of the problem on the perimeter, we have a defense that is supposed to help and we've lost that edge for a while.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Agree to an extent.

Celtics have had a great help D the past few years..  but theres one thing a great help D will break down on... and thats having to HELP TOO MUCH.

The system works unless its over loaded.. making the right switch, the correct run off & get back.. cover the weak side etc...its alot of moving parts...  By definition, help D means someone is left open somewhere especially if the player that started the process (losing or picked off his man) doesnt rotate and pick up the other player.

Seems to be happening alot. Our new guys will improve in this regard but it starts at the top... and if its allowed to go on throughout an entire game, expect problems defensively no matter what players are on the court

Sections
Shortcuts