Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?

In the 80's some players had it written in their contracts, that they couldn't be traded to the Celtics!!!  I hope those days are long gone!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Very revealing stats jump... Garnett is a great player, Pierce a great Celtic player but not in the top echelon of NBA players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?:
    [QUOTE] In the 80's some players had it written in their contracts, that they couldn't be traded to the Celtics!!!  I hope those days are long gone!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Who's idea was it... player or management?

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet? : Who's idea was it... player or management? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Player!! Boston was still seen as being racist even in the 80's. Some of the things that were said to have happened to the Chief, and KC, didn't help matters!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]P34, Neither Bird nor Duncan did it by themselves. Duncan had Robinson, Avery Johnson, and others.Bird had Maxwell , Cowens, Pete Maravich, Tiny Archibald, and others.  No one is saying that Pierce is chopped liver, and that Allen did not contribute as you state that I imply. That is just not true. However, not all players are created equally, and some have more to do with making a team what it is. KG had the stature, all-around game, focus on team play, unselfish nature, and leadership to change the team culture. That is why he gets more credit than the others. The same is true of the other big turn around teams. This is a chart of the NBA honors and statistics for each of the big three over there careers. It includes current values, and 2008 point scoring, as stated by nbareference.com Honors KG Pierce Allen All Star Appearances 14 9 10 All Star Starts 11 0 0 All Star MVP 1 0 0 First Team All NBA 4 0 0 Second Team All NBA 3 1 1 Third team All NBA 2 3 1 League MVP 1 0 0 Finals MVP 0 1 0 First team All NBA defensive player 8 0 0 Second team All NBA defensive player 2 0 0 Defensive player of the year 1 0 0 2008 Playoff scoring average 20.4 points per game 19.7 points per game 15.6 points per game 2008 Regular season scoring average 18.8 points per game 19.6 points per game 17.3 points per game Total Number of points Career 22936 20915 21900 Number of 3 pointers 167 1542 2565 NBA leader Total number of rebounds Career 11682 5107 4626 Career scoring average 19.6 22.3 20.4 Career rebound average 10.8 6.1 4.3 Career assist average 4.1 3.8 3.6 Career steal average 1.4 1.5 1.2 Career block shot average 1.6 0.6 0.2 ...and each has one ring.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Like I said, what you are saying is correct. What I'm trying to tell you is stop exaggerating! 

KG holding T-Mac scoreless? KG destroying Vince Carter in the 2003 All-Star game? 

Get it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kybested. Show kybested's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet? :  Player!! Boston was still seen as being racist even in the 80's. Some of the things that were said to have happened to the Chief, and KC, didn't help matters!!!

What's up, Lakerman17?

Tell us, Lakerman17, why do you hate Paul Pierce so much?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/03/27/garnett_is_mvp_most_vital_presence/">http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/03/27/garnett_is_mvp_most_vital_presence/ 
    "The whole face of Celtics Nation turned around when the trade happened with this guy," declared Paul Pierce after last night's 117-97 dispatch of the Suns. "Everyone talks about the MVP and they talk about numbers, but this guy has changed the whole culture around here, and I think that says a lot for everything. The mentality, to a day-to-day aspect, everything is changed from a year ago."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bird was the leader of a team that started three other hall of famers and Danny Ainge.  It was a team.

KG to me is the straw that stirs the drink here.  Although they are the big three and with Rondo they are very comparable to the Bird Celtics.  If is a big word, but if KG had been healthy for the last two years the Celtics would be working on their fourth championship.  It does not take much to imagine that even a Laker fan might have to admit it.  A knowledgeable one.

KG was not healthy so we can't lay claim to much more than 2008 and a title this year which will suit me fine.  Objectively most rational people would admit a healthy KG would have led to two other titles.

For that reason I think he is the most valuable.  Without Pierce and Ray as constants there would be no championships either.

And of course Rondo  is essential as well now.  It is as a team they stand out amongst all others no other team is built like this team with four essential  guys and that is why we have to go on and win this year.  A big injury to one of the four we are done.  Look at least year the fifth starter Perk goes down and we miss as well. It is a team thing all the way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]  www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/03/27/garnett_is_mvp_most_vital_presence/ " /> http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/03/27/garnett_is_mvp_most_vital_presence/   "The whole face of Celtics Nation turned around when the trade happened with this guy," declared Paul Pierce after last night's 117-97 dispatch of the Suns. "Everyone talks about the MVP and they talk about numbers, but this guy has changed the whole culture around here, and I think that says a lot for everything. The mentality, to a day-to-day aspect, everything is changed from a year ago."  

Where did it say that Pierce said KG held T-Mac scoreless?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Bird was the leader of a team that started three other hall of famers and Danny Ainge.  It was a team. KG to me is the straw that stirs the drink here.  Although they are the big three and with Rondo they are very comparable to the Bird Celtics.  If is a big word, but if KG had been healthy for the last two years the Celtics would be working on their fourth championship.  It does not take much to imagine that even a Laker fan might have to admit it.  A knowledgeable one. KG was not healthy so we can't lay claim to much more than 2008 and a title this year which will suit me fine.  Objectively most rational people would admit a healthy KG would have led to two other titles. For that reason I think he is the most valuable.  Without Pierce and Ray as constants there would be no championships either. And of course Rondo  is essential as well now.  It is as a team they stand out amongst all others no other team is built like this team with four essential  guys and that is why we have to go on and win this year.  A big injury to one of the four we are done.  Look at least year the fifth starter Perk goes down and we miss as well. It is a team thing all the way.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%! 

Holding T-Mac scoreless or destroying Vince Carter in the 2003 All-Star game has nothing to do with it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

P34,

You really should quit while you are behind, and save some dignity. Push push push, trying to make trouble. Just because you did not see it, does not mean it did not happen.

You know the internet is not that old, and many things from the early 2,000s are not easy to find. Enjoy the ride.

KG vs. Carter 2003 all-star game              
    WestTmMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01.html">Kevin Garnettwww.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html">MIN4117240.708000331.0001893514337
    East                    
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html">Tracy McGradywww.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2003.html">ORL3610170.588470.571560.8331452001329
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartevi01.html">Vince Carterwww.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2003.html">TOR25490.444111000101200119

KG was the All-star game MVP in 2003              
    KG played small forward for the West and played against Carter and McGrady.     

KG vs. Tracy Mcgrady Nov 7 2003              
    Starters
    MPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS 
    3910250.40000 120.50314175112121  

With the Wolves, KG usually guarded the opponant's best scorer.         
    In this game, KG held McGrady scoreless while he guarded McGrady        

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

This should be better

WestMPFGFGAFG%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01.html">Kevin Garnett4117240.7081.00093514337
    East            
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html">Tracy McGrady3610170.5880.83352001329
    www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartevi01.html">Vince Carter25490.44401200119

Starters
    FGFGAFG%3PORBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]P34, You really should quit while you are behind, and save some dignity. Push push push, trying to make trouble. Just because you did not see it, does not mean it did not happen. You know the internet is not that old, and many things from the early 2,000s are not easy to find. Enjoy the ride. KG vs. Carter 2003 all-star game                             West Tm MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01.html " /> Kevin Garnett www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html "> MIN 41 17 24 0.708 0 0 0 3 3 1.000 1 8 9 3 5 1 4 3 37 East                                         www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html "> Tracy McGrady www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2003.html "> ORL 36 10 17 0.588 4 7 0.571 5 6 0.833 1 4 5 2 0 0 1 3 29 www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartevi01.html "> Vince Carter www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2003.html "> TOR 25 4 9 0.444 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 2 0 0 1 1 9                                           KG was the All-star game MVP in 2003                             KG played small forward for the West and played against Carter and McGrady.                                                                                                                                                                                   KG vs. Tracy Mcgrady Nov 7 2003                             Starters MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01.html "> Kevin Garnett 39 10 25 0.400 0 0   1 2 0.50 3 14 17 5 1 1 2 1 21   www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html "> Tracy McGrady 27 2 10 0.200 0 3 0 0 0 0 3 3 6 3 0 0 3 3 4                                             With the Wolves, KG usually guarded the opponant's best scorer.                 In this game, KG held McGrady scoreless while he guarded McGrady              

I told you, I'm NOT disputing your facts. It's your exaggeration that's full of crap! 

Larry Bird didn't have to hold Michael Jordan scoreless or destroy Magic Johnson in the All-Star game. Tim Duncan didn't have to destroy Kobe in the All-Star game and HE didn't have to hold Dwyane Wade scoreless. You keep talking about TEAM and UNSELFISHNESS yet you keep focusing on KG'S PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS!

ANSWER THIS QUESTION, JUMP, DID DESTROYING VC IN THE 2003 ALL-STAR GAME RESULT IN A FINALS APPEARANCE FOR KG IN 2003?

WHEN KG HELD T-MAC SCORELESS IN 2003 DID THE WOLVES MAKE IT TO THE FINALS THAT YEAR?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

CELTIC FANS WOULD RATHER HAVE KG DESTROY PAU GASOL INSTEAD!

DESTROYING VINCE CARTER OR HOLDING T-MAC SCORELESS IS NOT THE REASON WHY KG IS A GREAT PLAYER! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

No exaggeration just facts

WestMPFGFGAFG%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS 
    KG4117240.7081.00093514337 
    East             
    McGrady3610170.5880.83352001329 
    Carter25490.44401200119 

StartersFGFGAFG%3PORBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS  
    KG10250.400035112121  
    McGrady2100.20003300334  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]No exaggeration just facts   KG vs. Carter 2003 all-star game               West MP FG FGA FG% FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   KG 41 17 24 0.708 1.000 9 3 5 1 4 3 37   East                           McGrady 36 10 17 0.588 0.833 5 2 0 0 1 3 29   Carter 25 4 9 0.444 0 1 2 0 0 1 1 9                               KG was the All-star game MVP in 2003                 KG played small forward for the West and played against Carter and McGrady.                                                                                                                 KG vs. Tracy Mcgrady Nov 7 2003               Starters FG FGA FG% 3P ORB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS     KG 10 25 0.400 0 3 5 1 1 2 1 21     McGrady 2 10 0.200 0 3 3 0 0 3 3 4                                 With the Wolves, KG usually guarded the opponant's best scorer.       In this game, KG held McGrady scoreless while he guarded McGrady    

Are you really that dumb? I SAID I'M NOT DISPUTING YOUR FACTS!

The problem with you is you keep telling everybody here that KG is unselfish and the ultimate team player. But you keep focusing on KG's personal victories!

AND 2003 WAS 8 YEARS AGO! CAN KG STILL DO THAT NOW?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I think that I have it right this time.

WestMPFG%RBStlsAstsPoints

KG

East      
    Carter250.4441029
    McGrady360.58850229
     KG was the All-star game MVPKG played small forward for the West and played against Carter and McGrady  KG dominated Carter  - not and exaggeration.  KG holds McGrady scoreless Nov. 7 2003
    PlayerMPFG%RBStlsAstsPoints

KG

390.400 1521
    McGrady270.200 034
     With the Wolves, it was common for KG to guard the opponents best scorer.In this game, KG held McGrady scoreless while KG was guarding McGrady. KG held McGrady scoreless – not an exaggeration P34, The exaggeration comes from you. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

No, I am responding to your claims of exaggeration. Obviously the exaggeration is on your side.

Your tactic of trying to change an argument to one that you think that you can win does not work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet? : Are you really that dumb? I SAID I'M NOT DISPUTING YOUR FACTS! The problem with you is you keep telling everybody here that KG is unselfish and the ultimate team player. But you keep focusing on KG's personal victories! AND 2003 WAS 8 YEARS AGO! CAN KG STILL DO THAT NOW?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

The defense of shutting someone down while also playing his normal help defense IS team play.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]No, I am responding to your claims of exaggeration. Obviously the exaggeration is on your side. Your tactic of trying to change an argument to one that you think that you can win does not work.

Once again, I'M NOT DISPUTING YOUR FACTS!

Tell me this, do you really believe that KG is SOLELY responsible for the Celtics' 66 wins in 2008?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet? : The defense of shutting someone down while also playing his normal help defense IS team play.   
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I agree. But if someone asks you why KG is such a great player would you say that it's because KG destroyed Vince Carter in the 2003 All-Star game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]I think that I have it right this time. KG vs. Carter 2003 all-star game West MP FG% RB Stls Asts Points KG 41 0.708 9 5 3 37 East             Carter 25 0.444 1 0 2 9 McGrady 36 0.588 5 0 2 29   KG was the All-star game MVP KG played small forward for the West and played against Carter and McGrady   KG dominated Carter   - not and exaggeration.     KG holds McGrady scoreless Nov. 7 2003 Player MP FG% RB Stls Asts Points KG 39 0.400   1 5 21 McGrady 27 0.200   0 3 4   With the Wolves, it was common for KG to guard the opponents best scorer. In this game, KG held McGrady scoreless while KG was guarding McGrady.   KG held McGrady scoreless – not an exaggeration   P34, The exaggeration comes from you.  

Looks like Jump wins this one by a knockout!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet? :  Looks like Jump wins this one by a knockout!!!

Hey there, Lakerman!

HAHAHA!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

P34, I think he was giving you an example of KG's great defense.  Read what he's saying, he's not actually trying to say KG's a great individual.  He's trying to give one example of how outstanding he is in all key areas (in this case, defense) and not just the offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]P34, I think he was giving you an example of KG's great defense.  Read what he's saying, he's not actually trying to say KG's a great individual.  He's trying to give one example of how outstanding he is in all key areas (in this case, defense) and not just the offense.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I'm not disputing that. The problem is a few days ago he said KG is responsible for the biggest turn around in NBA history. I mean Pierce and Ray didn't have anything to do with the biggest turn around in NBA history?

Read his post and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

We all know Ray is the 3-point specialist, Pierce is the leading scorer, and KG is the defensive anchor. But he's saying that KG is responsible for the biggest turn around in NBA history. That statement is not accurate. Celtic fans know for a fact that the Big 3 is responsible for the biggest turn around in NBA history! Not just KG!