Who Gets Cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Who Gets Cut

If the Celtics are going to cut 2 players for sure one will be Mario West. Against the Knicks tonight he was horrible on offense. With the shot-clock winding down instead of shooting the jumper M.West always drove to the basket resulting in a shot-clock violation. There's no way this guy is going to make the cut.

The second player to get cut is either Wafer or Lasme. Tonight, against the Knicks, both of them posted solid numbers. Lasme had 7 pts 4 rebs while Wafer ended up with 8 pts, 2-2 3pt fg, and 5 rebs. 

During the 2nd qtr. Lasme was a SF, he struggled defending Gallinari and he couldn't do anything on offense because he was on the perimeter. But when he played PF again in the 4th he was effective because he was closer to the basket. 

With Delonte suspended for the first 10 games it would be very hard to cut Von Wafer. The Celtics need a shooter off the bench, that's the only reason I can think of if the Celtics keep Wafer. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Re: Who Gets Cut

I agree.  With Perk out, we are at 14.  If Bradley and Harangody go to the D League, we are at 12.  I think Harangody sticks for the first 10 games based on his performance.  With "solid" backups at every spot (again based on pre-season) West, Nate, Quis, Baby and JON, what we need from our 11th and 12th is another big (Erden) and a shooter.  Hence, I think Wafer makes the cut.  I was very nervous for a while, though.  Let's not forget our Perk for Battier trade later in the year...........:).    That would be sweet!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut:
    I agree.  With Perk out, we are at 14.  If Bradley and Harangody go to the D League, we are at 12.  I think Harangody sticks for the first 10 games based on his performance.  With "solid" backups at every spot (again based on pre-season) West, Nate, Quis, Baby and JON, what we need from our 11th and 12th is another big (Erden) and a shooter.  Hence, I think Wafer makes the cut.  I was very nervous for a while, though.  Let's not forget our Perk for Battier trade later in the year...........:).    That would be sweet!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

I don't think the Rockets are going to give up Battier now that Ariza is gone. 

The Rockets also invested in Brad Miller, so they really don't need a backup Center. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut : I don't think the Rockets are going to give up Battier now that Ariza is gone.  The Rockets also invested in Brad Miller, so they really don't need a backup Center. 
    Posted by P34

What happened to Ariza?  Is he hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut : What happened to Ariza?  Is he hurt?
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Traded to New Orleans. The Rockets, Pacers, Nets, and Hornets were involved in a 4-way trade last August. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Obviously it's between Lasme and Wafer. Wafer started out the preseason slowly, but finished strong. Lasme showed a lot of potential throughout. 
        As another poster said, as Delonte is suspended the first two games, it makes more sense for Wafer to make the cut. I woud hate to see Lasme go. The Celtics are so deep this year that they are going to have to cut a good player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillRKG. Show BillRKG's posts

I rather have Lasme than Erden considering Lasme's hustle but there's a surlpus of players at the power forward position with, KG and Davis who should be getting most of the minutes and harangody. Despite Lasme's good showing Von Wafer is a better player and should make the cut.
    Final Roster
    1. J. Oneal
    2. Kevin Garnet
    3. Pierce 
    4. Allen
    5. Rondo
    6. Davis
    7. S. Oneal
    8. Daniels 
    9. Nate
    10. Bradley 
    11. West
    12. Harangody or Wafer or Erden

Unactive:
    13. Perk
    14. Harangody or Wafer or Erden
    15. Harangody or Wafer or Erden

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I don't get your reasoning .... cause West is suspended for 10 days you keep Wafer? Then for the rest of the year you have a logjam at back-up SG and a shortage at SF. Wafer's a one trick poney and Lasme can play 3/4 and defend/rebound. I'd go with Lasme, but that's just me ... I'll admit Wafer finally found his confidence and shot but with West he becomes a luxury whereas Lasme fills a need.
    Posted by Mployee8

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks Lasme is on the outside looking in.

If you didn't see the Knicks vs. Celtics game, at Hartford, then you missed the part where Lasme can't play SF. In the 2nd qtr. Lasme was the SF while Davis was at Center and Harangody was the PF. When Lasme got the ball on the perimeter he couldn't do anything. But when he was back at PF in the 4th qtr. he immediately scored on two layups. The point is if Lasme is inside or near the paint he's effective. Outside 15 feet he's like a fish out of water. 

On the defense Lasme can't keep up with the SFs. There was one play in the 2nd qtr. where Gallinari drove past him like he wasn't even there. All Lasme could do was foul. Unfortunately Gallinari still made the shot and it resulted in a 3pt play. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

That article does make a good point. Bradley isn't NBA ready and Delonte being out 10 games leaves a big hole for the C's. The more I think about it, the more it appears that Wafer makes the team and Lasme is cut. Playing arm chair G.M, that's what I would do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think since West is on the suspended list for 10 games, I would also place Bradley on the DL,and I would then keep both Lasme and Wafer. This allows the Celtics an additional 10 games to see which guy has more value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

I think since West is on the suspended list for 10 games, I would also place Bradley on the DL,and I would then keep both Lasme and Wafer. This allows the Celtics an additional 10 games to see which guy has more value.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Can only have 15 guys under contract.  That would be 16.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Id be keeping Wafer over Lasme. Cant get enough of good 3pt shooters and Wafer looks really good from outside the circle.

Plus he can play the 2 cause West is missing 10 games..

Luke makes the team hands down imo and I think Erden is a keeper cause our center position is slow and both O'Neals are injury prone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Posted by sportsbozo1

-

I'm of a like mind with you on this one.

With the roster at 17, right now (and that includes Perk) Bradley may not make it due to injury and rehab which means even with a roster of 14 Lasme can make the cut.  He deserves it the most and can be the most valuable contruibutor of that bunch.

I'm not clear on the contract rules and the DL but I'd guess there is a way to keep 16 with theinjury situation with Perk and Bradely.

Delonte will be out 10 games so odds are that Von Wafer will make it short term but then be cut to make room for D-West and Bradley.  Bradley will likely go to the D-League and be coming up and down throughout the season.

Name
    Allen, Ray
    Bradley, Avery
    Daniels, Marquis
    Davis, Glen
    Erden, Semih
    Garnett, Kevin
    Harangody, Luke
    Lasme, Stephane
    O'Neal, Jermaine
    O'Neal, Shaquille
    Perkins, Kendrick
    Pierce, Paul
    Robinson, Nate
    Rondo, Rajon
    Wafer, Von
    West, Delonte
    West, Mario

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

I dont know if that is possible.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

They could ask Lasme to sign an NBADL contract and give him 10 day contracts at NBA $ whenever they have someone suspended or disabled. Then bring him up if a roster spot opens up during the year. My understanding is that he has decided to stay stateside no matter what to spend time with his family. That could work to the C's advantage unless another team is interested in making an offer for a regular roster spot. Wafer on the other hand has a backup plan in Europe should he get cut.
    Posted by Mployee8

Even you are impressed with Lasme. What makes you think other NBA teams are not seeing what you're seeing? 

Once the Celtics cut Lasme it's inevitable that he will get a contract from another NBA team. You think the other GMs are blind?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut : Heck I was impressed with him when he came out of UMass and disappointed he got no interest by the C's. All politics are local. But do other teams have roster spots and will they really sign Lasme based on a few games he played in or some video tape? Are you saying that Lasme is more valuable than Wafer? You said he had no outside shot. The game I saw he was filling it up from outside and making nice passes into the low post. Maybe he had a bad night in Hartford after being left behind from Toronto with passport problems. These last few games must really be stressful for a guy that knows he's on the fringe and he's staying home while his competition is playing in Toronto ... sure he was anxious to perform well in Hartford. Just an observation ....
    Posted by Mployee8

If Lasme gets cut the only reason for that is because he can't play SG. 

Lasme was a PF/C in college, there's just no way he can keep up with the SFs of the NBA. On offense he can't shoot from the perimeter or the 3pt line. Defensively he's just not quick enough.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut : and how many games have you seen him play? Quickdraw McGraw aren't you?
    Posted by Mployee8

I saw all the Celtics preseason games. The only time Lasme was used as a SF was against Toronto, in Hartford. That was the only time Lasme looked shaky.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Who Gets Cut : I saw all the Celtics preseason games. The only time Lasme was used as a SF was against Toronto, in Hartford. That was the only time Lasme looked shaky.  
    Posted by P34

Lasme guarded Iguodalla for a while during the second Philly game. Lasme did a good job against him. I didn't see the second N.Y game as it wasn't broadcasted on the NBA package for some reason. I read he didn't do so well against Gallanari.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/10/19/rivers_rests_coaching_voice_after_throat_surgery/

Wafer took Delonte's spot on the 2nd team. Looks like Wafer is going to get that final roster spot. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im taking Wafer over Lasme in a second.

Sections
Shortcuts