Who has looked better: Jeff Green or Bill Walker?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofobu. Show jofobu's posts

Re: Who has looked better: Jeff Green or Bill Walker?

In Response to Re: Who has looked better: Jeff Green or Bill Walker?:
    In Response to Re: Who has looked better: Jeff Green or Bill Walker? : Are you a Celtics fan? How dare you not have the utmost blind faith in Danny Ainge!
    Posted by DaCeltics

I am a longtime Celtics fan. Overall, I think Danny Ainge has done a good job. That doesn't mean I agree with all of his decisions. Being a GM is a tough job, while being a Monday Morning Quarterback is easy. You don't have any accountability accept to others on this board. I can see why Danny made the Perk trade although I hated to see him go. I read that Perk was asking more in a new contract than the Celtics could afford. I wasn't crazy about the trade to bring Nate to Boston. The Knicks coaching staff wasn't happy with him, and I liked Bill Walker. If I was a GM, drafting toward the end of the first round, I would take an athletic big like DeAndre Jordan over a J.R. Giddens any day. Having said that, Danny has done quite well in other transactions. Any Celtic fan has to be pleased with the team he assembled when he got KG, RA, etc. What we had before was hard to get excited about. Also, I think Danny has done well with some of his late first and second round draft picks. No GM gets things right all of the time. Danny has done well in my book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Green has had more success thus far in his career without question. He's a #5 pick so you would expect him to. He hasn't been used to get the most of his talent with the C's thus far. He also appears to be timid a lot of the time. He wasn't last night as I liked the way he played in game 3.
       Walker is a second round pick and has performed beyond expectations. I like Walker's game and was disappointed when he was traded. The Knicks were obviously eyeing Walker as they had little or no interest in the other 2 players they acquired in the trade being Giddens and House.
        I'm happy for Walker's success. In hind sight, the Knicks got the better of that trade as Nate was very inconsistent with the C's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

walker is playing in a system where players are encouraged to shoot with no conscience thus his confidence is at an all-time high in contrast, our bench knows if they miss shots, they will be subbed out. they fear misses more than they desire makes but green is by far the better player. if he was playing d'antoniball, he'd be scoring 20 a game whereas if we still had walker, he'd be on the inactive list
    Posted by teh-n00b

Well, I think its a little different than this.   Walker is in a system where players are encouraged to shoot with no conscience and it doesn't matter what they do on defense because defense doesn't matter.   In the Celtics system, if you shoot and miss, its ok but you better play defense or you're going to sit the bench.  Witness:  BBD.  When he shoots too much, we all scream and yell at the TV.  But, Doc won't take him out because he considers him a valuable defensive player.  At the end of games, he gets time in the game because of his defense.

So, Walker doesn't have to worry about playing D and can shoot with no conscience.  That would never work for Doc.  Walker has to know the defensive rotations and not give up easy baskets.....even if he's 0 for 8.

Its about the defense on this team, folks.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Green has had more success thus far in his career without question. He's a #5 pick so you would expect him to. He hasn't been used to get the most of his talent with the C's thus far. He also appears to be timid a lot of the time. He wasn't last night as I liked the way he played in game 3.    Walker is a second round pick and has performed beyond expectations. I like Walker's game and was disappointed when he was traded. The Knicks were obviously eyeing Walker as they had little or no interest in the other 2 players they acquired in the trade being Giddens and House.     I'm happy for Walker's success. In hind sight, the Knicks got the better of that trade as Nate was very inconsistent with the C's.
    Posted by mem17

Agreed!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Green has been the only bench player to produce anything this series. 

Walker is getting more minutes,because Stat got hurt and Anthony shot horrible 2 games.  

Ray Allen and Pierce have been awesome,so Green isn't going to get many minutes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

you still have to respect what nate did last year in the playoffs when doc started playing him. He was a force after winning that game for us up until game 7 of the finals when Doc didnt trust him enough to give rondo a real rest.  I liked walker's agrresive nature but it didnt materialize into minutes and although we can look now and say he would have helped backup Pierce then, we all know more than likely Doc was not gonna play him.. so I think for getting to game 7..I mean Quis was on the bench, he couldnt get one minute...I doubt walker would have been able to effect game 7

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Sigh....I do miss Quis. Hope he is doing OK.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Jeff Green is way better than Walker; and I liked Walker. Man, I thought you knew basketball, Da. Green is going to become increasingly valuable to the Celtics over time; he can hit a jumper reliably, which is huge for a sub, can defende 1-1 reliabily which is huge for a sub, and can take his man and create offense; huge for a sub or starter. Billy Walker is an inconsistent basketball player, had a great first game an awful 2nd game, and so-so 3d game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Big misconception on Green if you don't think he is hustling. He has that "lope" to his game that is deceiving. He blocked Walker's shot last night. He's a better defender and quicker than alot of people think. Looks much better than Walker.
    Posted by OneNation

....ditto....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tony46. Show Tony46's posts

Jeff Green looks like he doesn't even want to be here. He seems to be thinking
    about something else other then the task at hand. I always had the impression that he was a talent, but boy,he certainly hasn't shown it here. I hope he has a breakout game. Bill Walker looks better in the playoffs, so far......................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

Its Heddy!

n Response to Re: Who has looked better: Jeff Green or Bill Walker?:
    What's wrong with you, man?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

At this point I would much rather have a physical player who can play some D. 

The bench cannot score, and they are simply not playing D at all. Green is probably a better player but he's not the guy the Celtics need right now. They need someone like Tony Allen. They really miss his physical presence on defence. 

It's pretty obvious at this point that the deal that brought Green here might be better for the Celtics future, but puts them in a postion where they have zero chance of a title. Without a guy like Perk for D and Nate, who proved he could handle the ball and rest Rondo we don't have the goods to win it this year. 

I love Green but he's not they guy we need right here and now unfortunately. This is a team that needs it all right here and now because we don't have tomorrow. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Walker has played more games with the Knicks and is already used to their system. Green still looks lost on the floor with either the first or second units. He has upside in terms of his height and offense, but it remains to be seen if he'll ever be the star player that DA envisions him to be. Personally, I would have kept Walker on the Celtics, if only to serve as a back-up to Paul Pierce. If that were so, the Perkins trade would have been unnecessary and we wouldn't really need Shaq for the playoffs. Walker is a physical guy on defense and has decent offensive skills. Green is taller at 6"9, but he is soft on defense and does not rebound well.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Da, can you tell me how your boy Walkers doing?  I havent been able to see him do anything, so maybe since you are a fan, you caught him in action....what did I miss tonight?...still yet to see him dunk on someone when it counts without being called for a charge...  He is a guy you send out to use fouls and get on peoples nerve and he has developed a nice touch outside the arc when left open...other than that....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Bill Walker ....  I still waiting to see Green up fake drive and dunk...  Jumper after jumper after jumper

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

walker has looked terrible in this series more often than not.  green is improving on the other hand.  becoming more active, getting a lot of rebounds too.

the more poignant comparison for me is who is doing better right now, perkins or jerlame o'neal?  hands down, o'neal is making a bigger impact on his team than perkins, whose stat line and own admissions say he's been invisible 2 out of 3 of OKC's games.  it's IBAKA who has done the heavy lifting.

here's hoping jerlame has another 18 games left in him.  he sure looks like he does.

Sections
Shortcuts