Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards?

I also share your concern. Two guys that I felt would have been great coming off the bench for Boston were Bill Walker and Damion James. So much for that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

I watched Damian down at UT.  He was a man among boys.  Some scouts said he peaked / reached his ceiling, whereas his teammate Bradley still had a lot of upside.  Danny decided to go with potential.  Given the team's George Allen philosophy of "the future is now",  I would have thought they opt for James, who could have contributed immediately off the bench spelling PP.  Letting Billy Walker go may come back to haunt us.  If that kid stays healthy (given his multiple knee operations), he could be a solid player in this league for a long time. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Corey Brewer.  He's a good defender in the Posey mold and young.  Use Sheed's contract to get him.  Other options, Battier, Ariza, Prince.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Picking up Shaq really says Sheed's done.  I wouldn't mind seeing them get a trade exception.  Use ~ half of it now for a defensive 3/4 and save the other half for the deadline.  Cory Brewer fits that at 3.7M. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards?:
    [QUOTE]Picking up Shaq really says Sheed's done.  I wouldn't mind seeing them get a trade exception.  Use ~ half of it now for a defensive 3/4 and save the other half for the deadline.  Cory Brewer fits that at 3.7M. 
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

Sheed may be done but I dont think picking up Shaq is any indication.

Last season we were short a big man on our depth. Currently, if Sheed was to play and we pick up Shaq...all we've done is added one more body, since Perk is out.

Should Sheed actually retire, we're back where we started. JO & Shaq replacing Sheed & Perk.  I think Sheed will retire and probably come back later ala PJ Brown, for the playoff run.  Chances are someone gonna be hurt anyway and Sheed is a great back up plan. for later on.

Works perfect since Sheed dogged most of the season anyway. Just needs to stay in shape (hmmm)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I agree that we definitely need someone else at this position.  If Rasheed is indeed retiring, it would be much easier to sign someone else. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Erdan or some other piece for short minutes until Perk is ready is how I see that.  They can't be looking for a significant player. When Perk is back that is without doubt filled, and then some. So this is a bit player quite possibly Erdan.

The wing defender is the harder role to fill by far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Maybe Damien Wilkins? He is not the shooter we are looking for and maybe not that tall for the wing at 6.6 but he is a decent asset (better then a guy like Larry Hughes, defensive wise).  Or Size... Jarvis Hayes (6.8) who can add shooting too the rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Corey Brewer.  He's a good defender in the Posey mold and young.  Use Sheed's contract to get him.  Other options, Battier, Ariza, Prince.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

One of these guys would make us the team to beat IMO, even James Posey back would be a boon to the playoff rotation

I'm very curious about Prince, contract year, team going nowhere, would they take Sheed's contract (saves them 4 million), Perk and our #1 pick for him???

Houston isn't going to deal Ariza at all, so scratch that idea. 

Maybe they would part with Battier if they decide that it is more important to their title hopes to add a frontcourt player, esp w/ Yao's questionable health, over forcing Battier into less mins than he deserves or into a bu SG role that Budinger would actually be better at than him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards? : One of these guys would make us the team to beat IMO, even James Posey back would be a boon to the playoff rotation I'm very curious about Prince, contract year, team going nowhere, would they take Sheed's contract (saves them 4 million), Perk and our #1 pick for him??? Houston isn't going to deal Ariza at all, so scratch that idea.  Maybe they would part with Battier if they decide that it is more important to their title hopes to add a frontcourt player, esp w/ Yao's questionable health, over forcing Battier into less mins than he deserves or into a bu SG role that Budinger would actually be better at than him
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Would we have to sweeten the pot to get Battier?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Tony Allen guarded 3's well last season and he's 6'4 and weighs about 200-210 lbs. If somebody is a good defender, they can effectively guard taller players. We'll see how Von Wafer defends soon enough. His size of 6'5 and 210 lbs can defend taller players effectively if he has the defensive skills to do so.
       Daniels is a legit 6'6. He only gives up 1 to 2 inches to the average small forward.
        I think the C's roster is set aside from signing Harrangody.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPG182. Show DPG182's posts

I think Prince would be our best fit. He can hit the 3, play disruptive D and is lanky. Detroit isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so i say use this to ship Sheed to Detroit for Prince and let Sheed retire in Detroit in front of the fans he played for during their championship years

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]I watched Damian down at UT.  He was a man among boys.  Some scouts said he peaked / reached his ceiling, whereas his teammate Bradley still had a lot of upside.  Danny decided to go with potential.  Given the team's George Allen philosophy of "the future is now",  I would have thought they opt for James, who could have contributed immediately off the bench spelling PP.  Letting Billy Walker go may come back to haunt us.  If that kid stays healthy (given his multiple knee operations), he could be a solid player in this league for a long time. 
    Posted by henryfinkel[/QUOTE]
    Like many people I felt that Ainge should have drafted James Anderson (the Paul Pierce clone as they call him here in San Antonio) but Damion James would have been a perfect fit given his tenacity on both defense and offense. This guy, DJ, has a nonstop motor. He is relentless offensively and gets people on their heels and he just keeps coming after them. He is an animal on defense. He would
    have been perfect for Boston. Bradley is good but he is going to rot on the bench. I hope that I am wrong but I still believe that Ainge blew it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards? : Would we have to sweeten the pot to get Battier?
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Well we don't have much, but our 1st rd pick is certainly worth Battier

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Tony Allen guarded 3's well last season and he's 6'4 and weighs about 200-210 lbs. If somebody is a good defender, they can effectively guard taller players. We'll see how Von Wafer defends soon enough. His size of 6'5 and 210 lbs can defend taller players effectively if he has the defensive skills to do so.    Daniels is a legit 6'6. He only gives up 1 to 2 inches to the average small forward.     I think the C's roster is set aside from signing Harrangody.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Tony was known for his D, that was his main skill, and even he had some problems with guys 3-5 inches taller than him.

Wafer is not known for his D, in fact all scouting reports say he is average to below average over his career, and that has been mostly playing SG's

If you want to put title hopes on him getting time on Deng, LeBron and Rashard Lewis be my guest, I demand a legit SF to complete this team

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Corey Brewer.  He's a good defender in the Posey mold and young.  Use Sheed's contract to get him.  Other options, Battier, Ariza, Prince.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

while i think that is a great idea for a defensive pest- minny seems to really like the guy- they signed him for 3 or 4 years last year and he started to come around offensively.  i'd be shocked if we could get him, but he sure is a great target to try for.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

WE are about out of options except for Gaffney.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Well there's the Sheed chip, which will likely fall next.

Plus...There's Harangody.  There's Baby in certain sets.  Maybe Rudy. Not to mention PP plays about 35 minutes. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is going to guard the opposing team's scoring forwards? : I like it but the most we can get for Sheed is $8m and Prince is at $11m. Who we gonna sacrifice for the other $3m to match -Scal or Davis?
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

BBD.  I have to assume that Perk will be back to contribute some minutes towards the end of the season.  If need be, the Celts can try to coax Rasheed back, assuming his contract gets bought out.  Retired players are probably not allowed back for a year.

With the O'Neal brothers, Perk, Garnett and Erdan, the Celts have the bodies to match with the league bigs.  The biggest need is to match up with the league speed, especially Miami and probably, Atlanta.  Sacrificing BBD for Prince will significantly improve the Celts roster.  Also, I read on cnnsi Truth&Rumors that there is talk in Detroit of adding a big (if BBD qualifies as a real big).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

I think that now after sign shaq(and probably sign harangody too)we should try to trade one of ours "bigs" for a REAL SF.Something like this:

1)Boston gets:                             2)The other team gets:
    A SF and a 2nd round pick              One big + Sheed´s ghost and a 1st round pick

I know guys that BBD is a nice player,but he has just 1 year contract and should have some leverage with others teams

With these moves the roster would stay in 14 players and this would bring competion for a spot that i think should for GAFNEY or SIMS(they´re SFs with size,but unproven)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I think that now after sign shaq(and probably sign harangody too)we should try to trade one of ours "bigs" for a REAL SF.Something like this: 1)Boston gets:                             2)The other team gets: A SF and a 2nd round pick              One big + Sheed´s ghost and a 1st round pick I know guys that BBD is a nice player,but he has just 1 year contract and should have some leverage with others teams With these moves the roster would stay in 14 players and this would bring competion for a spot that i think should for GAFNEY or SIMS(they´re SFs with size,but unproven)
    Posted by RondoIsHustle[/QUOTE]

fine by me

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

mmm... you just make them play defense against Pierce, Allen, and Davis in pick and rolls on the other end with Shaq/Perkins/JO/KG - they'll get their points, but most great offensive players only go off when they don't really have to think very much about defense.  KG shuts down half those guys on his own, Pierce and Allen shut down the others.  You always have to think about where Rondo is on the floor or he steals the ball from you.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from qianxue. Show qianxue's posts

I think Sheed will retire and probably come back later ala PJ Brown, for the playoff run
    www.america-jerseys.com