Who should start?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Who should start?

What do you all think? The starters and more the rotations in general are one of Doc's biggest challenges right now.

I say:

C - KG

PF - Sully or Wilcox

SF - Green

SG - Lee or Terry (until Avery comes back)

PG - Rondo

Pierce really needs to go to Doc and tell him he's fine being the 6th man. Obviously he still closes games and Terry does as well.

I'm not sure what PF should close games between Bass and Green. Wilcox shot between 51-61% on Ft's the last 5 seasons so he is out and Sully is a rookie who won't get calls and may make a 20 year old mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Who should start?

I agree with the many that say Bass should score on the 2nd unit.

I want Pierce on the 2nd unit as I have said since last summer. Doc pointed out that Paul cannot destroy people one on one the way he used to b/c he's not as athletic. But he can still shoot, seal, post, ballhandle and outhink his opponant better than Green. He's a finisher but Green needs to start and play the most mins he can with KG and especially Rondo. Pierce doesn't need those two to play at a high level and 'Paul Pierce basketball' Green likely does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

When Avery returns you need to make a trade to upgrade either PF or C. Barbosa's playing well makes Lee more expendable. He is also a close friend/countryman of Anderson Varejao.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

KG, Bass, Pierce, Green, and Rondo.

I have been thinking about this lineup.  My concern is that we will become too stagnant on offense.  There are not enough ball handlers on the floor to create a smooth offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rameakap,

Good to see you around, this place is quiet and troll infested.  Anderson Varajeo went for 35 and 18 the other night in a loss.  What would it take to get him?  You have touched on a real valid point about Pierce.  He is hurting the team often when he scores but shoots poorly and turns the ball over. I wonder if Doc would use him as sixth man, as you say he would be more effective not less that way. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Rameakap,

Good to see you around, this place is quiet and troll infested.  Anderson Varajeo went for 35 and 18 the other night in a loss.  What would it take to get him?  You have touched on a real valid point about Pierce.  He is hurting the team often when he scores but shoots poorly and turns the ball over. I wonder if Doc would use him as sixth man, as you say he would be more effective not less that way. 

Varajeo would be great fit.  Don't  see us getting  him  tho.  Cleveland's rebuilding so they would probabley ask for young players and  picks.  AB & Green.  No  way.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I'm still advocating that the starters be Rondo, Barbosa, PP, Green and KG

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rondo - Lee - Pierce - Sully - KG

Bench scoring has been a problem for two years

Barbosa - Terry - Green - Bass - Wilcox will score over the course of the season.  Let Lee and Sully get established, then come in with the scorers...........set the tone on D first!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

We still need to have a balanced team...both offensively and defensively..That was the problems early on..Thats why Doc turned to Terry...but I say let it play out a little longer and the right combinations will flourish..Green needs to establish more of a consistant track record before he can start. Pierce doe a lot more than just score. He is a decent ball handler (?) and passer, but I realized he has been turning the ball over more often than ever. I thin Doc just needs to get him his shots in certain situations. He cannot create like he used to and needs to adjust his game and look to pass more often than try to be the hero.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I'm still advocating that the starters be Rondo, Barbosa, PP, Green and KG

Thats a very intresting line up.. could be explosive..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The starters should be Rondo, Terry, Pierce, Bass and KG.

We got abused on the boards by the 5th best rebounding team in the NBA.  Not only that, Utah may very well have the deepest and most talented group of front court players in the NBA and they showed why.

We definitely need to significantly improve in the area of rebounding but last night's total board domination is not something that will happen with any sort of frequency.

In terms of team rebounding rankings, Miami, NY Knicks, Clippers, SA and Atlanta are pulling up the rear with us.  Those may very well be the teams the Celtics will need to be geared to beat come playoff time.

I'd love us to go out and get someone who can grab 10 rebounds in the same way Rondo wakes up with 10 assists but we'll have to wait to see if that can happen.

I think as the season progresses, with more team continuity, you'll see our athletic players focus more on rebounding which will result in better team rebounding.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I think Doc is mad with this traditional line-up. We should start with a Trees lineup:

1. Rondo

2. Sullinger

3. Wilcox

4. KG

5. Darko

And then move to a Threes lineup:

1. Barbosa

2. Terry

3. Lee

4. Pierce

5. Green

(of course the biggest joke is that Lee is included in the threes lineup as I believe our Centeres have hit more than he has so far this season)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Or maybe something like this

1. Either Rondo or Barbosa

2. Either Lee or Terry

3. Either Paul or Green

4. Either Bass, Sullinger, or Wilcox

5. Either KG, Darko, or like maybe a Collins

I think something like this could really make an impact as our starting lineup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Wow, you know you've got depth and that your coach has a hard choice to make when 9-10 of the best posters on this forum comment on lineups and you get 9-10 different ones they prefer.

The thing is you can make valid points for all of them... my personal favorite, with Pierce off the bench, is one of the least realistic b/c Paul has to come to that conclusion himself and go to Doc with it. DA and Doc will prob never be bold enough, esp after crybaby Ray last year, to suggest it to him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Why change the starting lineup?  We've won 3 in a row and 4 of our last 5.  We have to give these guys time to gel.

Why start bench guys when they are effective in their roles off the bench?  I love it when Green, Sully and Barbosa come off the bench and go against other team's second units.

Bass had a not-so-good night but he wasn't the only one.  With Bass playing PF last year, we were one quarter from getting to the NBA Finals.  And he has played well so far this season.

Terry is going to have more efficient games than the "one-shot" dud he played last night.  In spite of two starters (Terry and Bass) not having great games and another being injured (Rondo), we won the game.  That would not have happened last year.  The only way we do that is by having the players on the bench that we have.

Getting throttled on the boards should not cause a knee-jerk reaction to re-do the starting lineup again.  We won the basketball game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rondo's injury better not be a concern... he seems to have had multiple season where he missed games in Nov-Jan... like 5-10... with an ankle or another small issue.

Petey I think the point is that we barely beat the Bucks and Jazz and by no means blew out the Bulls... who were obv w/o Rose, but no Hinrich either (and he always kills us).

This team is still struggling to find the right lineups and identity. Its not exactly a 'who starts'? question I suppose but just what players fir best together and when should be expect them to be in the game? I agree with you the current starting 5 has done ok, but the rebounding concerns are still huge with Bass and KG being pretty poor there.

I want to see Green getting as many mins as he can with Rondo (Pierce doesn't need RR as much). Sully can help KG on the boards better than Bass... and what the h#ll has happened to Courtney Lee?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Against the Lakers: Rondo, Pierce, Green, Wilcox, KG (Wilcox covers Howard, and Kobe has to cover Pierce)

Against the Heat: Rondo, Lee, Pierce, Green, KG (Lee gets Wade, and Green gets LeBron)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Against the Lakers: Rondo, Pierce, Green, Wilcox, KG (Wilcox covers Howard, and Kobe has to cover Pierce)

Against the Heat: Rondo, Lee, Pierce, Green, KG (Lee gets Wade, and Green gets LeBron)

Scubber, good thinking, but did you forget about Avery? Avery will def play against Wade almost all the time. Lee has historically been destroyed by Wade.

Avery is a solid option on Kobe as well, although a little short. I would think about starting Pierce vs. Kobe, they are only a year a part in age and know each others games very well. It is not a wash as Kobe remains better, but the margin isn't that big, not nearly as big as how much better we hope Green will be in a few months than Artest, the PP-Green duo is better than Kobe-Artest overall.

Artest can still give an older guy like Paul fits, but a taller more athletic forward like Green should be able to expose him, so I like Green on Artest as much as possible and Paul on Kobe. Avery can rest both PP and Rondo and drive Kobe and Nash nuts when those 2 are forced to play big mins b/c the LA bench s*cks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Celtics will only be playing the Lakers 2 times this season anyhow. Boston will likely have another grueling playoff series with the Heat, so those matchups are of utmost importance. I still think we need another good big to overtake them, but if we do it won't be LA waiting for us in the finals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Currently in a Heat-C's matchup, no trades going down, we need KG to nuetralize Bosh (same stats) and Rondo to explode for like 23-16-8-3 every game (not just 3 of the 7) while holding chalmers below 12 points and below his season avg. for shooting in every game (not just 5 of the 7).

Wade will have an impact, but be driven mad by Avery and not kill us the way he does other teams. Terry and whoever we settle on at 4th guard, be it Lee or Barbosa, will have to outperform Ray and Norris Cole.

LeBron is going to get his 30+ regardless of if it is Green or PP on him, so I suggest we make it mostly Green to save Paul's legs for he 4th quarter and let Pierce get his 16-20 on Battier, who he can hold to 8-12. Battier is experienced, sneaky and savvy, he will bother and get in the head of a guy like Green (who might rise to the occasion more against LeBron) but Pierce won't be fooled by Battier's style of play and if they primarily go at each other Pierce will out play him 4 out of every 5 games easily.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That is why we are built to beat the Heat.

Beyond Bosh they go with Haslem and Joel Anthony as bigs, a couple of 6'8"-6'9" guys that Wilcox, Sully and Bass combine to be superior to. Rashard Lewis is still quick and plays 20 feet out so he is tough for those 3 to guard, but Green and Pierce will do fine on him and let Bass get some mins pounding away at Battier, who is no longer a big threat to burn him at his age.

But this C's team is going to lose a lot of regular season games we should not and runs the risk of being the 3-5 seed in the playoffs b/c we lack one talented guy up front, be it an explosive and smooth scorer in the post (like Jefferson) or an energy rebounder/defender who changes the pace of every game he is in and outworks others (like Varejao).

If we get to Miami playing good ball, but having needed 6-7 games to get through rd's 1 and 2 again, not have homecourt, and be dealing with 1-2 guys who are injured, the outcome will be the same as a year ago no matter how deep we are. We need a talent upgrade and at least the 2 seed, with 1st and 2nd rd series that got 4-5 and 5-6 games tops.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I like Sully to start. I like Bass to finish

As far as PP, as much as I love him and have defended him over the years I agree he have to think about moving over for Green and allowing him to flourish. Here me out.

I have been PP's biggest supporter since day 1. Met him rookie year, we kicked it downtown. Cool Dude. My thing with him is, he isnt that consistent anymore. He is still a knockdown shooter with a killer instinct. I still want him taking the last shot(for now) but his athleticism is there some nights and others not so much. We have a young Gazelle in Green who is ahtletic, fast and explosive but doesnt get the minutes necessary every night to be consistent nor does he get many plays called for him as he sits outside the 3. I do like them to play together with PP at the 2 because he is savvy enough and as we saw last night w/Foye he can abuse those guys on the block. Green can abuse 3's but not 4s. So let Bass, Sully, Wilcox, KG, etc man the 4 and 5 spots and keep Jeff at 3 where he can dominate(also switching back from 3 n 4 defensively is very hard and why he struggles on defense IMO(his own words)

I want  Leandro to end the game intead of Rondo too(gulp)  Ok, let me have it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Rameakap,

I wanted him this offseason as I thought he was in the doghouse but if he keeps this up, his price will be high. I always thought he was a perfect fit the way he hussles and if you pair him with KG, thats a nightmare for anyone as Varajeo was one of the few that got under KGs skin so them together would be Huge IMO and most likely put us over the hump in the east with his ability to protect the basket vs the Heat. he knows L.J. well too..May have some dirt on em...lol

Sections
Shortcuts