Who should start?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Re: Who should start?

In response to rameakap's comment:

When Avery returns you need to make a trade to upgrade either PF or C. Barbosa's playing well makes Lee more expendable. He is also a close friend/countryman of Anderson Varejao.

I  agree  the  Celts  need  to  upgrade  at  either  the  4  or  5.  Every  time  I  look  at  the  box  scores, Bass  has  like  8  points  in  30  minutes.  And  it's  not  like  he's  reliable  on  D  and  a  rebounding  machine.  Bass  will  always  be  an  adequate  sub  coming  off  the  bench  and  nothing  more.  And  I  think  Doc  should  be  giving  Sully  more  minutes.  I  have  zero  confidence  that  Green  will  ever  be  a  consistent  contributor.  I'd  like  to  see  the  Celts  package  a  deal  sending  Bass, Green  and  possibly  Lee  for  a  BIG  who  can  rebound  and  defend.  However, Green's  contract  makes  trading  him  difficult. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

I'm not sure it matters. Taking into account a philosophy that often does not have the team attacking on the offensive boards, there's a rebounding problem. Hard to believe that an NBA team with the caliber of players the Celtics have would be struggling with something as seemingly basic as boxing out, but there it is. Think it also has something to do with confusion over defensive assignments and positioning. The confusion factor is diminishing, but there is still a lot of looking around after baskets and still too many wide open, uncontested shots being conceded. The rust on players like Green and Wilcox and the green on someone like Sullinger is readily apparent, though Wilcox at least can hang with the opposition bigs. Bass is giving a lot of effort, and Sullinger clearly has some talent, but both have serious problems competing with players over 6 "9". And as should have been expected (despite a lot of peoples excitement) Sullinger is struggling in a number of aspects of the game.

When you're as deep as the Celtics are and you're having major trouble with depleted teams like Washington (minus Nene and Wall); the 76rs (minus Bynum); Chicago (minus Rose), etc. something is wrong. Think most fans realize they're lacking a solid big, but obtaining a quality guy going forward is not going to be easy - Smith, Varejao would both work, but what do you give up? Also, can you sign them long term as opposed to gutting your bench for a half year rental? Are these the guys you want to give max contracts to for the future? Maybe if the team feels it's close enough, and they don't have to give up too much, making a move for someone like Smith might be worth a shot at the title even if there is no guarentee he stays?

One thing this stretch has highlighted is just how good the Celtics defense has been for the past five years and how the contributions of solid defenders (PJ Brown; Perk; T Allen; Posey, etc.) have contributed to a great philosophy insitituted by Tom Thibodeau. Of course it all revolves around Garnett and ever since Perk left he has been without a partner in crime down low. No one could have predicted Green's health issues, but his ongoing struggles on the court continue to highlight a blunder that may have cost the Celtics one championship, and is still haunting them. 

Lastly, Darko obviously has had some issues with the wrist, and he struggles mightily with moving his feet (a must to play defense with the Celts), but it seems like he could at least help out when they are having major problems with someone with real size like Brooke Lopez. Obviously Doc chose to go with Collins and while he's more mobile than Darko, at least Darko's big and strong enough to put a body on players no one else on the squad can contend with. I guess if they don't solve some of the more pressing issues (rebounding on both ends/overall D/transition D/Dwhen Garnett leaves the court, etc.).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:

Probably someone that can rebound the basketball. 

ROTFLMAO!!!

Have a very blessed day!

I feel your pain and envy bloopity. With their inability to shoot The lakers should be be nearthe top of the rebounding column this year. It's just a shame they will be on the bottom of the win list. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Wow, you know you've got depth and that your coach has a hard choice to make when 9-10 of the best posters on this forum comment on lineups and you get 9-10 different ones they prefer.

The thing is you can make valid points for all of them... my personal favorite, with Pierce off the bench, is one of the least realistic b/c Paul has to come to that conclusion himself and go to Doc with it. DA and Doc will prob never be bold enough, esp after crybaby Ray last year, to suggest it to him.

I am sure if Doc thinks PP should come off the bench thats what we will do.  I don't think Doc thinks thats whats best right now.  I agree with him

My lineup.

KG, PP, RR, JG, Wilcox.  or the one Kirk throws out there,

KG, Bass, Pierce, Green, and Rondo.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

They just played a little together.  They did however give Wilcox time.  He is looking better and better.  Rondo is finding him on that alley oop nearly as much as he does KG.   The defense is slowly getting better as well.  Well Rondo had another bad game.  He pounded the ball and got his 20 assists.  While I am not knocking Rondo,  we do run a lot more with Barbosa.  When LB gets the ball he flies up the court,  with Green and Lee and Wilcox, and Sully,  they are a pretty good team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Wow, you know you've got depth and that your coach has a hard choice to make when 9-10 of the best posters on this forum comment on lineups and you get 9-10 different ones they prefer.

The thing is you can make valid points for all of them... my personal favorite, with Pierce off the bench, is one of the least realistic b/c Paul has to come to that conclusion himself and go to Doc with it. DA and Doc will prob never be bold enough, esp after crybaby Ray last year, to suggest it to him.

I am sure if Doc thinks PP should come off the bench thats what we will do.  I don't think Doc thinks thats whats best right now.  I agree with him

My lineup.

KG, PP, RR, JG, Wilcox.  or the one Kirk throws out there,

KG, Bass, Pierce, Green, and Rondo.

Bingo.

I missed the game today Kirk, how often did they go big with Pierce and Green on the court at the same time?

Oh and not just Kirk but ANYONE is welcome to answer that question;-)

Looks like everyone played very well except for Bass and Barbosa.

Barbosa played a good game, just not enough minutes!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

What do you all think? The starters and more the rotations in general are one of Doc's biggest challenges right now.

I say:

C - KG

PF - Sully or Wilcox

SF - Green

SG - Lee or Terry (until Avery comes back)

PG - Rondo

Pierce really needs to go to Doc and tell him he's fine being the 6th man. Obviously he still closes games and Terry does as well.

I'm not sure what PF should close games between Bass and Green. Wilcox shot between 51-61% on Ft's the last 5 seasons so he is out and Sully is a rookie who won't get calls and may make a 20 year old mistake.

I like the thought of KG, Sully, JGreen, Lee and Rondo.  It gives Boston sure fire scoring on the second unit with PDub, Bass, Wilcox, JET and Barbosa.  The Celtics will absolutely be a team in the mix for the championship once their chemistry gets better throughout the year.  Danny did a marvelous job in putting this team together.

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkman20. Show darkman20's posts

Starters: KG.  Sullinger. Green. Barbossa.  Rondo

Bench: Pierce.  Bass. Terry. Lee. Wilcox.

Sections
Shortcuts