Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?

C Shaquille O'Neal
    PG Rajon Rondo
    SG Ray Allen
    PF Kevin Garnett
    SF Paul Pierce

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

When discussing ABA how can you leave out DrJ or George Gervin or Dan Issell?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You're right.....there were so many great players in that league.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfkeleher. Show mfkeleher's posts

In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]OK, I do get your point....in order to explain why I think that Russ brought something special, please allow me to outline some thoughts first, Russ led USF to back to back, undefeated seasons....I believe the only teammate who went on to play in the NBA was KC Jones...before he arrived and after he left the program was not a powehouse... then he joined the Celtics.....they were always good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make the finals....along came Russ and Heinson and the Celtics went to the Finals 12 times in the next 13 years...the only time they lost was when Russ was injured against the Hawks... over the years, so many of the greats left.....in no particular order were Sharman, Ramsey, Cousy, Heinson, KC....the Celtics were able to replace them with other players but Russell remained the constant.... The team got older and finally couldn't keep up with the powerfull Sixers, led by Wilt....they lost in the Eastern Conference Finals and the Sixers were anointed as the new powerhouse after they dismantled the Warriors.....I will never forget listening to the radio and hearing the Philly crowd chanting over and over...as the final game became a mismatch........."hey Red.....your old men are dead".....I had to hear it from all of my buddies who hated the Celtics and I had to read about it all offseason then a funny thing happened.....the "old men" came back and beat Philly the next year and went on to defeat the Lakers once again....a lot of people called it a fluke.....Wilt was so frustrated he got himself traded to the Lakers of Baylor and West.... the following year the old Celts were a tired bunch.....they played .500 ball but made it to the playoffs....on their way, they beat the younger and favored Knicks, a series that included the first ever prime time telecast of an NBA playoff game....they ended up once again meeting the Lakers in the Finals....they were huge underdogs.....and they won game 7 in Jack Kent Cooke's "Fabulous Forum"..... Russ and Sam retired after the series.....the Celtic core remained and they added a great young guard named Jo Jo White.....the team had it's first losing season in close to 20 years... throughout all of this the Celtic motto was......."the spokes change but the wheel just keeps on turning".....Russell was the strongest of those strokes....to quote Reggie Jackson.....he was truly the straw that stirred the drink.... That is why I think Russ could've changed a team like the Knicks....he was not only a great and talented athlete....he was the smartest man who ever played....he simply knew how to win and made everyone around him better.... at least that is my opinion...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfkeleher. Show mfkeleher's posts

Russell
    McHale
    Bird
    Magic
    Maravich

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

If you could move him, Russell, at best, would be a top power forward, and that's all. The other giants would smother him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]well....I'd start with Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.....and of course Greg Oden....Sam Bowie...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Dražen Petrović would be in that mix as well.

Len's a difficult one though. Would he have been Jordanesque or like Roy Tarpley? It's so hard to say. Ignoring that though, was a massive tragedy for his family and the Celtics.

Arvydas Sabonis may have also had a better NBA career if he came over to the league after he was drafted and not suffered those injuries. I don't believe Portland ever had him at his best. Even injured he was a decent player.

What is it with Portland drafting big men who never reach their full potential? Walton, Bowie, Sabonis and now Oden. Terrible luck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Worthy, you beat me to it! Portland sure has had terrible luck with drafting big men....although Walton did win them one title......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

[QUOTE]    Center, Wilt, sorry Russ, no one be  Center, Wilt, most dominant player to ever play the game!  Power forward, i'm taking Kevin McHale, offensively, and defensively, whose better?  Small forward, Bird, i don't see how anyone else could even get a vote!!  Shooting Guard, MJ, same thing as i said about Bird!!   Point guard, Oscar Robertson, could do everything Magic could do and more!                                                                                                          
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

I agree....  On pure ability alone, it's Wilt hands down!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Moses Malone, Dave Cowens, Wes Unseld, Clyde Drexler and John Stockton . . . and bring it on . . . 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

1st Team/2nd Team

Russell/Jabbar
         Duncan/McHale
         Bird/Dr. J
         Jordan/Kobe
         Big O/Magic

But, I don't even know how I end up leaving off Wilt, Baylor, Hondo, Barkley, Jerry West, and so many more.

One thing - someone put LBJ in there.  That's a terrible pick.  Monstrously talented and awesome player but he's never won anything and yet to prove he can shoot, can play with others well, or do more than drive to the basket better than anyone.  Until he wins or shows better all around skills, he can't be put in this list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history? : I agree....  On pure ability alone, it's Wilt hands down!
    Posted by Indiansbacker[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....on pure ability.....to have great statistics? ....yes, then go with Wilt

....on pure ability.....to make everyone around you better...to rise to the occasion when championships are on the line....to become the ultimate winner?

Russ, hands down....when all is said and done, winning is all that anyone remembers and really all that matters...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

[QUOTE]....on pure ability.....to have great statistics? ....yes, then go with Wilt ....on pure ability.....to make everyone around you better...to rise to the occasion when championships are on the line....to become the ultimate winner? Russ, hands down....when all is said and done, winning is all that anyone remembers and really all that matters...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Two world championships and 36 individual NBA records (some of them the greatest records in the history of the sport!) that will probably never be broken is good enough for me!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Centers              Russell and Duncan
    Power Forwards   Garnett and Malone
    Small Forwards     Bird and James
    Two guard          Jordan and Bryant
    Point Guard         Magic and Oscar Robertson

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Center 2. Tim Duncan, Power Forward 3. Larry Bird, Small Forward  4. Michael Jordan, Shooting Guard 5. Magic Johnson, Point Guard
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

This is a great thread but there any number of factors that anyone must factor in before even attempting to try to make this list:

training, college, nutrition, rule changes, and MOST IMPORTANTLY SALARY CAP.....  there is not even a remote possibility that Russell's teams are kept together with a salary cap.....

that to me makes Jordan's 6 of 8 and what would have likely been 8 straight had he not been suspended by the NBA....oh, I mean had he not decided to go play baseball.........

not to take anything away from Russell but try to picture each year the GM at the time trying to decide which two of my five starters can I not sign because of the cap?

The Heat had to get rid of Michael Beasley to make room for Bosh and LeBron and Beasley has had a game over 40 this year and is still prob only 23 years old.  Love and Beasley could be the best young frontcourt in the league and likely would be if Jonny Flynn were healthy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i cannot believe that nobody has mentioned bill hanzlik for small forward.  what is wrong with you people?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Who were the top 5 passers in NBA history?

Would you put stockton in that list, given that he leads in assists?  I'm not sure he was all that great of a passer in the sense of "tricky" passing.  I've only seen footage, but cousy sure made some passes that you didn't see yourself or that were unexpected.  Rondo too.

Remember when bird and walton would have a contest every game to see who could make the best pass?  Man, those were some good times.

So I guess you might have to distinguish between flashy passer and fundamental or effective passer.  But to me, the pass is the greatest part of the sport.  My favorite are bounce passes.  I teach all my kids to bounce pass when I coach.  Especially interior passes or post entry passes.

Edit:  How could I have forgotten to mention Magic?  Especially that year he came back to play PF.  It seems like he specialized in passing that year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Pistol Pete could sure handle the ball as well....he made some great passes...

Sections
Shortcuts