why can't c's beat these lesser teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from j73401. Show j73401's posts

why can't c's beat these lesser teams

how many games have been lost to lesser teams?clippers,sixers? ,etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams

Just don't take them serious or be would be way out ahead riding #1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

In '08, we won how many games by 20 pts. or more?  Since we put on a ring, we just aren't as ruthless night in and night out.

PA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams:
    [QUOTE]In '08, we won how many games by 20 pts. or more?  Since we put on a ring, we just aren't as ruthless night in and night out. PA
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]

In '08, we were healthier (bench injuries very serious this year) and younger; the other teams weren't as good and have learned from us and stepped it up in building their teams (witness Miami; San Antonio; Lakers got Artest; Chicago has a MUCH better overall team now); so we are not going to be able to sustain those minutes and intensity against every team.  We are going to have let downs - very frustrating let downs that p me off!  But, the team is every bit as determined, maybe more so after the game 7 loss last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Because the regular season doesn't mean anything. Last year the Celtics were 500. through the last few weeks of the regular season and we were only 5 minutes away from a title. The Celtics always turn it on come playoff time, expect the same again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to why can't c's beat these lesser teams:
    [QUOTE]how many games have been lost to lesser teams?clippers,sixers? ,etc.
    Posted by j73401[/QUOTE]

Picture Jim Carrey getting pulled over in his Benz in liar liar and the cop asks him if he knows why the cop pulled him over... he takes a deep breath and then blurts out all the reasons why he was pulled over...... so here goes.....

Cop - why can't you beat these lesser teams?

Jim Carrey - deep breath......  missing their starting center, missing their back up powerforward, missing their back up point guard, have very tough covers for the BIG 3 (iggy, young, brand, griffin, etc.), integrating several new players, and have a point guard that is being routinely outplayed but viewed by most on this board as the best at his position in the league.......

What is the minimum number of legitimate reasons you require to understand why they have a hard time?

deep breath - the play down to competition, they take nights off, they purposely tank games to shave minutes, they play teams that have been in the lottery for the last 10 years and these teams have been stockpiling talent whereas Danny has to get the leftovers.......  if Kaman did not miss about 40 games and if Gordon had not missed about 25 games the Clippers would probably have won between 50 and 55 games this year.  They have an all-star center, they have the rookie of the year, Gordon is the 4th or 5th leading scorer in the league, Jordan is starting to come around, they added Mo Williams (he only had 28 against Rondo), they got the rookie Bledsoe, they are young, deep athletic team that has had two key injuries otherwise they would be throwing their weight around in the western conference...,.. 

I hope that does it and I was glad I was able to use one of my favorite Jim Carrey scenes to help you out.  If you haven't seen it you should check it out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Parity...Teams are closer than you think. No one will admit it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Parity...Teams are closer than you think. No one will admit it.
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]

I think it is more the cycle of the NBA, the bad teams get the best players in the draft, the good teams get Perks, West, Allen, Green, Greene, Bradley, etc. the bad teams get Conley Jr., Gay, Mayo, Griffin, Gordon, Wall, Rose, Deng, Bogut, Jennings, and so on.

The Cs have not added a player to the roster in 4 years that is a legitimate player.  The bad teams add stars every year because they, well um, s uck. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams : I think it is more the cycle of the NBA, the bad teams get the best players in the draft, the good teams get Perks, West, Allen, Green, Greene, Bradley, etc. the bad teams get Conley Jr., Gay, Mayo, Griffin, Gordon, Wall, Rose, Deng, Bogut, Jennings, and so on. The Cs have not added a player to the roster in 4 years that is a legitimate player.  The bad teams add stars every year because they, well um, s uck. 
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    Certainly something to think about. Doesn't that eventualy lead to parity?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't necesarily think that is "lesser teams". I think the Celts struggle with teams that spread the floor and have a hot hand particular that night. That is the way the Celts play defense, both under Thibs and now Doc. The "system" fails even more with Nened in the middle, hence the surpise scores the past week or so. In this situation, even the W's are hard to come by, the Golden State game for instance 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams : Certainly something to think about. Doesn't that eventualy lead to parity?

No it does not lead to parity, it leads to the rise and fall of teams.  Of course there are any number of factors that disrupt the cycle - for example the Clippers are always in the lottery but don't sign their players, there are injuries to key players, there are free agent moves, there are league shaking trades.

Here is an example, Shaq is drafted #1, the Magic stink then they end up with the first pick again and draft and trade C Web for Penny and then they get Horace Grant and then they are in the finals.  You could easily have looked at that and labeled it a dynasty and Penny got hurt and Shaq had enough of the Magic.  Looking back they are only in the finals because Jordan took two years off because of the suspension, um I mean to play baseball.  The two years the Bulls were not champions, Patrick Ewing the number 1 pick and Shaq the number 1 pick played against and lost to Hakeem the number 1 pick, Hakeem had Clyde the Glide the number 5 pick.

Factor in player movement, ownership incompetence, coaching, etc. but to me it all comes down to the players and getting blue chip all-star talent in the top 10 or the lottery.

A few years ago the Heat played the Mavs in the finals and only one of the starting 10 were not drafted in the lottery.

In this year's all-star game only Rondo and Ginobili were not lottery picks - Rondo will never play in another all-star game and Ginobili was drafted in the second round - had he been an American playing for Duke he would have been a lottery pick whereas if Rondo was a point guard playing in France (i.e. Parker), he may have never been drafted.

What a surprise KMart, Billups, Nene, 'melo, etc. are one of the best teams in the west when healthy, what a surprise when healthy Gasol, Kobe, Bynum, Odom lead the best team in the west, what a surprise KG, Shaq, Pierce, Allen are one of the best teams in the east - imagine Pierce being the lowest pick of the group, Rose, Deng, Noah lottery picks, LeBron, Bosh, Wade top 5, and so on and so forth.

The problem the Cs had for 20 years is that they tried to win and rebuild on the fly - they drafted Walker and Pierce and were immediately mediocre and could not get worse and without a serious injury to either one could not get better, they added parts and got to various levels of the playoffs but could not get good enough to win... so they were stuck in the middle.

I remember one of my first posts on this board was when the Cs were too good to be really bad and they were going on a long road trip and I said I hope they lose all 7 games (I don't remember the exact circumstances).  I was lambasted for routing against the Cs.  Those are the people that simply don't understand the cycle.  They wanted the Cs to win and make sure that they stayed in the middle of the pack and continue to get garbage in the draft.

The simple minds could simply not wrap their brains around the idea that there is a cycle.  It was almost a baseball mindset, you can get great players in the 43rd round if they spent 5 years in the minors.  The idea that if you did not get a top 10 pick that it did not really matter who you got, you were at best treading water.

As I said, injuries, blockbuster trades, bad coaching, etc. can disrupt the cycle but the cycle is the cycle.

Let's see if you didn't get Rose you got......

Beasley - one of the players who is part of the best young frontcourt in the league, or if you were unlucky enough to get the 3rd pick you got OJ Mayo - one of the best young players in the league, and then oh dry my eyes Russell Westbrook at 4, and ooh, ooh, ooh Love, Bayless, Gordon, Gallinari, Augustin, and Brook Lopez... it would have been so bad to get one of those... of course you could have been drafting where the Cs were and got ... drum roll please.......Giddens.......

Please let me know when the cycle concept starts to produce parity..... it never will.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams : No it does not lead to parity, it leads to the rise and fall of teams.  Of course there are any number of factors that disrupt the cycle - for example the Clippers are always in the lottery but don't sign their players, there are injuries to key players, there are free agent moves, there are league shaking trades. Here is an example, Shaq is drafted #1, the Magic stink then they end up with the first pick again and draft and trade C Web for Penny and then they get Horace Grant and then they are in the finals.  You could easily have looked at that and labeled it a dynasty and Penny got hurt and Shaq had enough of the Magic.  Looking back they are only in the finals because Jordan took two years off because of the suspension, um I mean to play baseball.  The two years the Bulls were not champions, Patrick Ewing the number 1 pick and Shaq the number 1 pick played against and lost to Hakeem the number 1 pick, Hakeem had Clyde the Glide the number 5 pick. Factor in player movement, ownership incompetence, coaching, etc. but to me it all comes down to the players and getting blue chip all-star talent in the top 10 or the lottery. A few years ago the Heat played the Mavs in the finals and only one of the starting 10 were not drafted in the lottery. In this year's all-star game only Rondo and Ginobili were not lottery picks - Rondo will never play in another all-star game and Ginobili was drafted in the second round - had he been an American playing for Duke he would have been a lottery pick whereas if Rondo was a point guard playing in France (i.e. Parker), he may have never been drafted. What a surprise KMart, Billups, Nene, 'melo, etc. are one of the best teams in the west when healthy, what a surprise when healthy Gasol, Kobe, Bynum, Odom lead the best team in the west, what a surprise KG, Shaq, Pierce, Allen are one of the best teams in the east - imagine Pierce being the lowest pick of the group, Rose, Deng, Noah lottery picks, LeBron, Bosh, Wade top 5, and so on and so forth. The problem the Cs had for 20 years is that they tried to win and rebuild on the fly - they drafted Walker and Pierce and were immediately mediocre and could not get worse and without a serious injury to either one could not get better, they added parts and got to various levels of the playoffs but could not get good enough to win... so they were stuck in the middle. I remember one of my first posts on this board was when the Cs were too good to be really bad and they were going on a long road trip and I said I hope they lose all 7 games (I don't remember the exact circumstances).  I was lambasted for routing against the Cs.  Those are the people that simply don't understand the cycle.  They wanted the Cs to win and make sure that they stayed in the middle of the pack and continue to get garbage in the draft. The simple minds could simply not wrap their brains around the idea that there is a cycle.  It was almost a baseball mindset, you can get great players in the 43rd round if they spent 5 years in the minors.  The idea that if you did not get a top 10 pick that it did not really matter who you got, you were at best treading water. As I said, injuries, blockbuster trades, bad coaching, etc. can disrupt the cycle but the cycle is the cycle. Let's see if you didn't get Rose you got...... Beasley - one of the players who is part of the best young frontcourt in the league, or if you were unlucky enough to get the 3rd pick you got OJ Mayo - one of the best young players in the league, and then oh dry my eyes Russell Westbrook at 4, and ooh, ooh, ooh Love, Bayless, Gordon, Gallinari, Augustin, and Brook Lopez... it would have been so bad to get one of those... of course you could have been drafting where the Cs were and got ... drum roll please.......Giddens....... Please let me know when the cycle concept starts to produce parity..... it never will.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps within your Cycle Concept parity is attained. For instance when your young good players skills begin to equal the older star players skills. As their talents increase the older stars talents are decreasing. I believe the skills of most NBA players are very close. There comes a point where teams become close. Of course, other factors are always at play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why can't c's beat these lesser teams : Perhaps within your Cycle Concept parity is attained. For instance when your young good players skills begin to equal the older star players skills. As their talents increase the older stars talents are decreasing. I believe the skills of most NBA players are very close. There comes a point where teams become close. Of course, other factors are always at play.

I understand what you are saying.  There is economic theory that suggests that every business runs at break even in the long run.  But on a year to year basis I completely disagree.  Eventually Wal Mart will run break even and in the long run theoretically it will go out of business because there will be a competitor that does it better, cheaper, etc.   But one you are dealing with only a dozen employees that make all the difference I don't think it can be that simple.  How many threads have we read here about how Danny makes really bad drafting decisions - hey if you are vying for the leftovers, you lose but the reason you are vying for the leftovers that means you are winning.

I think what you are saying is that if you look at all the teams, you will find 32 teams playing 500 ball.  But of course what we see each year is that there are lots of c rappy teams, some elite teams, and some teams stuck in the middle.  The teams stuck in the middle have good enough players to stay in the middle but cannot get better because of the salary cap, c rappy teams that should get a lot better, and great teams that will draft players that have no business being in the NBA.....  if you take the 100000 foot view that may be parity but when you drill down to what is actually happening there is a cycle that is driven by the draft.... trades and free agency.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

We'd go 82-0 if we beat all the lesser teams.

Cant even say we'd lose to the Spurs cause if we did...we'd be 80-2 but wait a minute...at 80-2 wouldnt our record be better than the Spurs? Of course, so it has to be 82-0..

Id like someone to explain to me why we're not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

we're not losing nearly as many games to bad teams as we were last season.

relax

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Well one reason is , tonight Rondo is leading the nets to victory, the guy needs some games off or a head adjustment.

Sections
Shortcuts