Why Cavs will move Varejo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Why Cavs will move Varejo

When your property value hits its high point, you sell.

When you stocks are riding high, you sell

Varejo's market value will never be higher. The missed an opportunity last year to move him unlsess the offers were insufficient. Not so this year.

I don't think they will let this deadline pass without making some kind of deal. They have some good young talent and should have another lottery pick this year. Why not mulitply those picks and get some young talent in return? (Green, Sully,Melo)Especially since Varejo has a history of injuries. He can only help the Cavs stay somewhat competitive, but still lottery bound. He may get injured again, and devalue those bargaining chips. Not sure if Danny should go for this guy, although I love his talent, desire, and production this year. The injury bug, scares the heck out of me. I would rather go for a lesser risk for the Big man position. Gortat, Perk, or Big Al, or (?), makes more sense for the Celts as we would not have to give up as much and may get more in return in the long run. As the article states:

"Late first-round picks and meager role players aren’t going to get the job done; Varejao is simply far too good and far too useful to be liquidated for filler, no matter how much he might help your favorite team."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Why Cavs will move Varejo

I heard the Spurs are after him - Leonard, Blair and one other player!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I would do Sully, Lee and a #1. We can't give up JG because then PP has no backup. We'd strengthen one position and weaken another. They don't need Melo.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://nba.si.com/2012/12/04/anderson-varejao-trade-cleveland-cavaliers/?sct=nba_bf1_a7

sorry link did not take the first time...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

it would probably take Sully. At this point, based on what ive seen, im not trading Jared Sullinger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Agreed, the ideas is to get better, not trade away our value players..he fell to us in the draft. and those are hard to come by. We don't need to sell that store just yet..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

we can certainly match that...plus picks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Just say they would take Sullinger for Varajao.  You mean you would not think that was a great trade.  Do you really think there is a certainty that Sully is as good or will ever be as good in the future? Varajeo is thirty he could come here and we could win a title with KG  here this year and be competitive next year. Take getting a steal in the draft and turning it into Varajao as close to a miracle.

And of course Sully if he stays is a very promising player but consider Varajao is everything we need right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

For the Celtics, the cost of getting Varejao will be too high.

Varejao is not the type of big man the Celts need. He's also not a shot-blocker. The Celts need more.

What the Celts need is someone like Gortat. Someone who scores inside the paint and can block shots.

Sure Varejao solves the rebounding issue. But Varejao gets his points mainly on putbacks and from pick and pops.

What is wrong with that? That is exactly what we have not got for three years.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Just say they would take Sullinger for Varajao.  You mean you would not think that was a great trade.  Do you really think there is a certainty that Sully is as good or will ever be as good in the future? Varajeo is thirty he could come here and we could win a title with KG  here this year and be competitive next year. Take getting a steal in the draft and turning it into Varajao as close to a miracle.

And of course Sully if he stays is a very promising player but consider Varajao is everything we need right now.

Yes, of course, but Im talking about giving up multiple players(including Sully).

If it was a straight up deal or maybe another player like bass and picks, then different story.

But I'm againts having to give up say Green, Sully,Melo, and or AB, and multiple picks for him when we could get a  Gortat for less.

Varejao has missed a lot of games the last two years...

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I would do Sully, Lee and a #1. We can't give up JG because then PP has no backup. We'd strengthen one position and weaken another. They don't need Melo.

Kris Joseph

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Cavs want a lottery pick and young players for Varejao. What will happen to the Celts' depth if the Celts give away most of their young bench players like AB, Green, and Lee?

Varejao's price is just too high.

Besides, Gortat might not get as many rebounds as Varejao, but he can block shots and score inside. Inside scoring and shot-blocking are two things Varejao doesn't do very well. Even Brandon Bass is a better shot-blocker than Varejao.

And Sully is 20 years old, Varejao 30. That's sacrificing the future.

One thing's for sure, Sully might not become an All-Star, but he's going to have a long NBA career.

Look we don't have a lottery pick to give.  So we give them what we do have?  If not then we have to get Gortat.  What do we have to give for him?  Bass and what else?  We cannot win this year with Sully our back up for KG. So if not Gortat what?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Look we don't have a lottery pick to give.  So we give them what we do have?  If not then we have to get Gortat.  What do we have to give for him?  Bass and what else?  We cannot win this year with Sully our back up for KG. So if not Gortat what?

Like I said, Lee, Fab Melo, maybe Collins, and multiple draft picks for Gortat.

If the Celts get Gortat for Lee and Melo, as the main pieces of the trade, there will be no need to trade Bass, Green, or anybody else.

The Cavs will not want Sully because they already have the former #4 pick of the 2011 Draft, Tristan Thompson. Thompson is also an undersized PF.

We might not win with Sully this season, true. But remember, Sully is still 20 years old, that means the Celts will be able to win with Sully in the future.

Varejao is already 30 years old. If the Celts don't win now, even if they get Varejao, then the Celts just sacrificed the next 10 years by trading a 20-year old Sully for a 30-year old Varejao.

Remember the Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk deal for Joe Johnson? 

Sure the Celts fans had a good time in the playoffs of 2002. But what happened after that remarkable 2002 playoff run?

Right now Joe Johnson is still playing at a high level. Where are Delk and Rogers?

you know what they say right? hindsight is 20/20. Not every "steal of the draft" is going to be a star or even very good in the long run. But I agree and would not give up too much for varejao.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Like I said, Lee, Fab Melo, maybe Collins, and multiple draft picks for Gortat.

If the Celts get Gortat for Lee and Melo, as the main pieces of the trade, there will be no need to trade Bass, Green, or anybody else.

The Cavs will not want Sully because they already have the former #4 pick of the 2011 Draft, Tristan Thompson. Thompson is also an undersized PF.

We might not win with Sully this season, true. But remember, Sully is still 20 years old, that means the Celts will be able to win with Sully in the future.

Varejao is already 30 years old. If the Celts don't win now, even if they get Varejao, then the Celts just sacrificed the next 10 years by trading a 20-year old Sully for a 30-year old Varejao.

Remember the Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk deal for Joe Johnson? 

Sure the Celts fans had a good time in the playoffs of 2002. But what happened after that remarkable 2002 playoff run?

Right now Joe Johnson is still playing at a high level. Where are Delk and Rogers?

you know what they say right? hindsight is 20/20. Not every "steal of the draft" is going to be a star or even very good in the long run. But I agree and would not give up too much for varejao.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

NO to Sully - Period.  You don't trade away a player like him.  Huge mistake that we would be watching for years to come.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,

I agree with Fierce. I'd just put "Rim protector" as #1. Gortat is a perfect candidate.

Also, agree with OneOnOne. Don't give away Sully: he has skills, he is smart and, he is 20 yo; also, you don't trade rookie who plays major minutes at high level.

AK

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

A would also expect Danny to shop for a dead eye three pts shooter..

The Knicks have them, Sa has them...we need another...to open things up inside..Green is starting to make some noice..but other than Terry, we don't have any consitancy there.

PP is no getting the job done there anymore, and I would not expect him to go through the who season as our only outside threat. Hopefully Barbosa can be more consistant.

Sections
Shortcuts