Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan

All us smart guys on the board, wanted Jordan, and couldn't beleive he was still there when it came our turn to pick, and what does Danny do JR Giddens. I wonder if he would like to have that pick all over again?

By the way Jordan is averaging, almost 10 points per game and 10 rebounds also. I mean JR giddens, there's not a person posting on this board, who would have taken Giddens over Jordan!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan

In Response to Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan:
     All us smart guys on the board, wanted Jordan, and couldn't beleive he was still there when it came our turn to pick, and what does Danny do JR Giddens. I wonder if he would like to have that pick all over again?  By the way Jordan is averaging, almost 10 points per game and 10 rebounds also. I mean JR giddens, there's not a person posting on this board, who would have taken Giddens over Jordan!!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Danny Ainge is the Wizard of Oz - how dare you question the man behind the curtain.......

Danny only drafts steals of the draft, sleppers, tweeners, and so on and so forth....

The general concensus on Jordan was he was the next Dwight Howard with some time, coaching, and experience but why on earth would he try to get someone like that when he could have a tweener, sleeper, steal of the draft and so on.

Jordan was there for the taking but of course with Perk on your roster - why would you take someone bigger stronger faster and younger if you have the chance?

Well count me as one that was pissed when they didn't draft him but what do I know?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan:
     All us smart guys on the board, wanted Jordan, and couldn't beleive he was still there when it came our turn to pick, and what does Danny do JR Giddens. I wonder if he would like to have that pick all over again?  By the way Jordan is averaging, almost 10 points per game and 10 rebounds also. I mean JR giddens, there's not a person posting on this board, who would have taken Giddens over Jordan!!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Ha, ha....yes, Danny has passed up some good ones and this is one of them.  But, Danny's not the only one who missed this one. Talent evaluation is not a science - too many misses (Kwame Brown or Darko???).  Danny's a good drafter, but not great.  Popovich and Buford are GREAT on draft day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

He is averaging 6.8 points and 7.2 boards and an amazing 40% free throw shooting (career).
    I'll give you he is better then Giddens but he is not Dwight Howard.
    I would say Danny hits more than he misses on these.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I think his good play is more a benefit of having Griffin next to him this year. He seems to be making the most of it though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan:
    He is averaging 6.8 points and 7.2 boards and an amazing 40% free throw shooting (career). I'll give you he is better then Giddens but he is not Dwight Howard. I would say Danny hits more than he misses on these.
    Posted by toocool9090

I based his scoring and rebounding ave. over the last 10 games. If free throws are all you're worried about, maybe Rondo can help him he's shooting an amazing 46% this season!!  He not only missed this time, he struck out!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan : Danny Ainge is the Wizard of Oz - how dare you question the man behind the curtain....... Danny only drafts steals of the draft, sleppers, tweeners, and so on and so forth.... The general concensus on Jordan was he was the next Dwight Howard with some time, coaching, and experience but why on earth would he try to get someone like that when he could have a tweener, sleeper, steal of the draft and so on. Jordan was there for the taking but of course with Perk on your roster - why would you take someone bigger stronger faster and younger if you have the chance? Well count me as one that was pissed when they didn't draft him but what do I know?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Yea you would have traded the pick for Darko

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

I agree... a lot of idiots these GMs are... I hope that every single GM from the 2000 NFL draft has been fired because they all passed up on Tom Brady 5 times.

Come on man... Ainge can't be perfect and this kid is NOT Dwight Howard.

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan :  I based his scoring and rebounding ave. over the last 10 games. If free throws are all you're worried about, maybe Rondo can help him he's shooting an amazing 46% this season!!  He not only missed this time, he struck out!
    Posted by kyceltic

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Ainge is not perfect and no one is.  However, we all have to be honest with each other.  like we should be honest about the fact that we love Rondo and he's almost perfect for us.....but he has faults (poor free throw shooting and poor jump shooter).......we have to recognize that while we love Danny, he has faults, too.  So do I (have LOTS of faults).  So, to criticize Danny's draft choices is only fair - no need to get defensive about it.

He's only average at the draft.  Giddens and Bradley are only two examples of passing up better players to go for the risky draft choice.  On DeAndre Jordan, wouldn't it be better to have him as 3rd string center with 7 points and 6 boards than to have NOTHING (which is what we got for Griffin and what we may get for Bradley)?  Having a young, athletic back up center who can rebound would be nice about now.  

So, I'm not saying Danny has to be perfect, but I'm also objective about the fact that Danny is only average in the draft......not terrible, but also not great in that his recent choices have tended NOT to work out for us a lot.  He started off great but even though his recents were late in the draft, he could have done better:  Bradley, Harangody, Lester Hudson, JR Giddens, Semih Erden, Jeff Green - Traded, Gabe Pruitt, Randy Foye - traded, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Orien Green.   Some good choices, but overall, that is not a great record.

I love Danny.  He's made us relevant and he made us championship quality. But, he's not perfect and its ok to Monday morning quarterback about some of his bad choices.  He's just better with trades than he is at the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

But, he's not perfect and its ok to Monday morning quarterback about some of his bad choices.  He's just better with trades than he is at the draft.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Good post. I like DA but honestly, what was he thinking at this last draft? I mean, 19th pick is too good to pass the best available player which is what he did. I was giving DA the benefit of the doubt but oh man, Avery has shown no signs of being at the NBA level and that irks...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan : Good post. I like DA but honestly, what was he thinking at this last draft? I mean, 19th pick is too good to pass the best available player which is what he did. I was giving DA the benefit of the doubt but oh man, Avery has shown no signs of being at the NBA level and that irks...
    Posted by cabutan

Who should he have taken instead of Bradley?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Ainge is not perfect and no one is.  However, we all have to be honest with each other.  like we should be honest about the fact that we love Rondo and he's almost perfect for us.....but he has faults (poor free throw shooting and poor jump shooter).......we have to recognize that while we love Danny, he has faults, too.  So do I (have LOTS of faults).  So, to criticize Danny's draft choices is only fair - no need to get defensive about it. He's only average at the draft.  Giddens and Bradley are only two examples of passing up better players to go for the risky draft choice.  On DeAndre Jordan, wouldn't it be better to have him as 3rd string center with 7 points and 6 boards than to have NOTHING (which is what we got for Griffin and what we may get for Bradley)?  Having a young, athletic back up center who can rebound would be nice about now.   So, I'm not saying Danny has to be perfect, but I'm also objective about the fact that Danny is only average in the draft......not terrible, but also not great in that his recent choices have tended NOT to work out for us a lot.  He started off great but even though his recents were late in the draft, he could have done better:  Bradley, Harangody, Lester Hudson, JR Giddens, Semih Erden, Jeff Green - Traded, Gabe Pruitt, Randy Foye - traded, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Orien Green.   Some good choices, but overall, that is not a great record. I love Danny.  He's made us relevant and he made us championship quality. But, he's not perfect and its ok to Monday morning quarterback about some of his bad choices.  He's just better with trades than he is at the draft.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Harangody, Gomes, Hudson, Erden, Pruitt, Orien Greene and BBD were all second round picks.  He SAID he chose Giddens to save money, and tried to trade him from Day One.  And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the trade of Foye got us Rondo.............ah, who'd you rather have?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I agree... a lot of idiots these GMs are... I hope that every single GM from the 2000 NFL draft has been fired because they all passed up on Tom Brady 5 times. Come on man... Ainge can't be perfect and this kid is NOT Dwight Howard. In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan :
    Posted by toocool9090

I hope you're not trying to compare a football draft, to a basketball draft!!

He's not Dwight Howard, but he would solve the Celtics center problems.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In 2006, with the 21st pick in the 1st round, the New England Patriots took Laurence Maroney over Santonio Holmes, Joseph Addai and Nick Mangold...........they ALL make mistakes!!

Not a hockey guy, but remember Gord Kluzak?
    #1 overall, and passed on, I think, Brian Bellows!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan : Harangody, Gomes, Hudson, Erden, Pruitt, Orien Greene and BBD were all second round picks.  He SAID he chose Giddens to save money, and tried to trade him from Day One.  And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the trade of Foye got us Rondo.............ah, who'd you rather have?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

You completely miss the point.  First, the fact that Jeff Green and Foye were traded was NOT a negative in my note, it was just the fact that those draft choices cannot be judged as Celtics because they were traded.  I was highlighting the facts.  Second, the point of the post is that some of the choices worked out and some didn't......and some folks were picked behind them and were better choices.  It doesn't matter whether they are first or second rounders.  What matters is that he won some and lost some.  His record is not great on draft choices.  Its not horrible, but its not great.  He's had some wins and some losses and when compared to others like the Spurs, Danny doesn't have a reputation of getting great picks late in the draft.  He passed up Anderson this past year to get Bradley.  We all scratched our heads and we still can't understand why after we see Bradley play.  That's a regular occurance for Danny.

I love him but he's only an average drafter.  Don't defend him just because you love him.  I love Danny too, but I'm objective about his strengths vs his mistakes.  If it weren't for Danny, we'd not have the stars we have in the trades.  I love him for that.  I think, however, he has NOT done a great job of late round draft choices.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

Much easier to evaluate talent after it has been playing in the NBA for 3 years. No one and I mean no one hits on every draft pick. Basically if you dont draft in the lottery of the draft its a crap shoot. That and lets not call Jordan a Dwight Howard. He is no where close. His numbers are worse then Perks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Much easier to evaluate talent after it has been playing in the NBA for 3 years. No one and I mean no one hits on every draft pick. Basically if you dont draft in the lottery of the draft its a crap shoot. That and lets not call Jordan a Dwight Howard. He is no where close. His numbers are worse then Perks.
    Posted by uncommon13

Who claims he's a Dwight Howard?  Go back to the points that are being made.  That is.....the guy could be a 3rd string center on a team where we clearly need young big men to back up the old guys who get injured and tired.  That's his value.  He wouldn't replace Perk nor KG nor Shaq.  He would be young legs instead of "no legs" that Bias and Petey are complaining about.  We're not comparing him to Howard.  We're comparing him to JR Giddens and saying did we make the right choice?  

Also, no one is saying you have to get it right on draft choices every time.  I'm agreeing with you - you win some and you lose some.  I'd just like to see Danny have a better "batting average" (to borrow from another sport).  That's all.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

"The general concensus on Jordan was he was the next Dwight Howard with some time, coaching, and experience but why on earth would he try to get someone like that when he could have a tweener, sleeper, steal of the draft and so on."

Quoted from the Dudder. Now I agree a young healthy big man off the bench would be good. I honestly see some things that I like in Semih. I understand hes not perfect but with some coaching I think he could become I decent guy off the bench.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan : You completely miss the point.  First, the fact that Jeff Green and Foye were traded was NOT a negative in my note, it was just the fact that those draft choices cannot be judged as Celtics because they were traded.  I was highlighting the facts.  Second, the point of the post is that some of the choices worked out and some didn't......and some folks were picked behind them and were better choices.  It doesn't matter whether they are first or second rounders.  What matters is that he won some and lost some.  His record is not great on draft choices.  Its not horrible, but its not great.  He's had some wins and some losses and when compared to others like the Spurs, Danny doesn't have a reputation of getting great picks late in the draft.  He passed up Anderson this past year to get Bradley.  We all scratched our heads and we still can't understand why after we see Bradley play.  That's a regular occurance for Danny. I love him but he's only an average drafter.  Don't defend him just because you love him.  I love Danny too, but I'm objective about his strengths vs his mistakes.  If it weren't for Danny, we'd not have the stars we have in the trades.  I love him for that.  I think, however, he has NOT done a great job of late round draft choices.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

So, the ONLY guy better than Bradley that Danny passed on is the immortal James Anderson?  James Anderson who has been hurt all year?  James Anderson who was just assigned to the D-League? Danny missed nothing in this year's draft.  Bradley and Harangody were 2 solid picks.  Add in Semih from last year, and I think he has done really well!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

"The general concensus on Jordan was he was the next Dwight Howard with some time, coaching, and experience but why on earth would he try to get someone like that when he could have a tweener, sleeper, steal of the draft and so on." Quoted from the Dudder. Now I agree a young healthy big man off the bench would be good. I honestly see some things that I like in Semih. I understand hes not perfect but with some coaching I think he could become I decent guy off the bench.
    Posted by uncommon13

LOL - you and I are debating something the Dudder said???  I'm sorry.  I should not have made that mistake!  We don't listen to the Dudder/Puddin on this Board.  I've learned from the others that he's just a guy always starting trouble.  I don't know him, but that seems to be a consensus.

I hope you are right about Semih.  Long term, we're going to need some inexpensive but solid talent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Why didn't Ainge Draft DeAndre Jordan : Good post. I like DA but honestly, what was he thinking at this last draft? I mean, 19th pick is too good to pass the best available player which is what he did. I was giving DA the benefit of the doubt but oh man, Avery has shown no signs of being at the NBA level and that irks...
    Posted by cabutan

Rondo showed even less signs of being an NBA player when he was drafted and Bradley is the youngest player in the league I believe.

"the 19th pick is too good to pass the best player available"??????  The 19th pick is lucky to be a starter someday.

I watch a lot of NBA games and just went back and checked the draft - Bradley was drafted 19th and the only person I think I have even heard of after 19th is Landry Fields drafted 39th by the Knicks.  The rest I can literally say I have never heard any of their names mentioned in any game I have seen this year.

I think the Cs will be very happy if in two years Bradley is a serviceable backup point guard.

Sections
Shortcuts